Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I just noticed today that five games into the season the Tigers would rather play Zach McKinstry over Javy at SS. :yikes:

With the Tigers he's now sitting at a combined >1150 PA's and just a 76 wRC+, which is completely untenable even paired with GG defense at SS. I genuinely wonder if there's the possibility of a bounce back buried in there at some point: he did massively cut down his K% last year to something actually respectable, but it came at the expense of a lot of dogshit weak contact for outs. It really has been a spectacular flame out for one of the game's most popular stars.

e. As I was typing this he's starting in G2 of the doubleheader and got an RBI knock, poorly aged posts in real time!

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

At Dodger stadium if you loiter around your car for more than a few minutes in the parking lot, security will come along and tell you to get moving.

This doesn’t necessarily apply in the premium lots of course, though you definitely can’t set up a tailgate there either.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

I just noticed today that five games into the season the Tigers would rather play Zach McKinstry over Javy at SS. :yikes:

With the Tigers he's now sitting at a combined >1150 PA's and just a 76 wRC+, which is completely untenable even paired with GG defense at SS. I genuinely wonder if there's the possibility of a bounce back buried in there at some point: he did massively cut down his K% last year to something actually respectable, but it came at the expense of a lot of dogshit weak contact for outs. It really has been a spectacular flame out for one of the game's most popular stars.

e. As I was typing this he's starting in G2 of the doubleheader and got an RBI knock, poorly aged posts in real time!

I was listening to a podcast say that the Tigers hitting coach(es) may have hosed him up, getting him to be slightly more selective also means he's not hammering pitches in the zone so his hot streaks are even fewer and farther between. And when he gets to two strikes he still just flails at everything. It's really sad to see him like this :smith:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Sydin posted:

Don't worry, he just grounded into a double play just now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm trying to think of a team that willingly moved out of an MLB park to a AAA stadium in order to eventually move to another city altogether

This isn't really a thing that ever happens.

Closest I can think of in modern times are the Expos part time in Puerto Rico, though there was a thought of making money via popularity of Montreal's Latino players.

The 1899 Cleveland Spiders spent most of the season on the road because other teams refused to travel because of the lack of fan support in Cleveland. Of course that was because of Cleveland purposefully being gutted.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Popete posted:

Although they did somewhat recently put limits on tailgating, you have to enter the stadium 30 minutes after the game beings.

Sure but not a big deal because everyone is tailgating hours before the game even starts. The funniest era was when they realized so many tailgaters didn’t even have game tickets. People would just buy stadium parking and party there all day, especially on sold out games like Opening Day where it’s a pain in the rear end to get game tickets. But now you have to verify game tickets to get parking. Then people would just walk in to the parking lots, party with friends then walk to a bar once you got kicked inside the stadium.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 4, 2024

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hand Row posted:

I am hard pressed to name another MLB club that gets anywhere near the tailgating experience that the Brewers have.

Well, the A's once did, but then wealthy people took care of it with intentional tanking and raising prices.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1775965321083736378

lol what exactly are the mets doing

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The 1899 Cleveland Spiders spent most of the season on the road because other teams refused to travel because of the lack of fan support in Cleveland. Of course that was because of Cleveland purposefully being gutted.

I have to imagine someone floated the idea of the A’s just being a full-time road team for these years, playing at the other team’s park and batting in the “home” half of the inning for 81 of the games. But who wants more home gates against the A’s?

Feels like the first time in ages there’s across of an MLB team folding outright.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This whole saga really drives home how vehemently owners will fight for the ability to extort municipalities for hundreds of millions of dollars.

Fisher is willing to to play in a tiny AAA for 3+ years, he’s willing to take less money and less land from Vegas than Oakland, and the other 29 owners are willing to let him destroy the brand like this for years, all in order to teach local governments one lesson: give us your money without a fight or else.

I wonder what they’ll do in KC after the voters told them to eat poo poo.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 4, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think this is more of a statement by MLB ownership than anything. With all the push back on public funding for sports stadiums in recent years they want to punish Oakland to show they should be taken seriously.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Popete posted:

Yeah I think this is more of a statement by MLB ownership than anything. With all the push back on public funding for sports stadiums in recent years they want to punish Oakland to show they should be taken seriously.
That's the only thing that makes any sense

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's absolutely what happened, but I also think Fisher probably outright lied to the other owners about how liked up Vegas was, and from the results of the vote in KC, the whole thing may have backfired.

EDIT: Fisher looks wholly incompetent, Oakland comes out looking like the better party who were unfairly treated, and cities have pretty much told owners to get hosed in every public "Money please!" stadium deal since then.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 5, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1776027958467297500

smh

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

River Cats season ticket holders get priority access As tickets

I guess that’s one way to force people to continue to buy River Cats tickets

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Absolutely brutal :smith:

When are they gonna invent bionic elbows

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Is there a sports gambling site that will give me odds on “Shohei Ohtani Heel Turn”

quote:

Shohei Ohtani said (via interpreter Will Ireton) that he met with the fan who caught the ball.

“I was able to talk to the fan, and was able to get it back."

Ohtani never met the fan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shohei Ohtani must be remanded into federal custody until his deferrals kick in

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/yankees/status/1776037145032982806?s=46

now why did they think they could play a game in an eclipse

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

because it’s only 90% in NYC which will barely change ambient light at all

If you didn’t know it was happening you might not even notice there

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

not gonna lie I don't give a poo poo that they didn't authenticate the signatures to increase their sale price if that's what they mean

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think they’re saying the Dodgers wouldn’t authenticate the ball. Also Japanese speakers on Twitter are saying that the Ohtani quote about talking to them is a poor translation.

Very dumb own-goal if the Dodgers hosed this up

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

as in they wouldn't authenticate the homerun ball, so it could have been any old ball not the right one?

I thought they meant the ball they got was signed by him but they wouldn't issue a COA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ No what the fan is alleging is that they were told by security staff that if they refused to turn Ohtani's HR ball over that the Dodgers in turn wouldn't authenticate it for them, which functionally renders it worthless from an auction perspective.

The main part of the story that's kinda hosed is that they separated the husband and wife and wouldn't let them talk until the wife - surrounded by security staff - was pressured into surrendering the ball. Everything else kinda sounds par for the course though, teams do this stuff because they don't want to set a precedent that catching a milestone HR ball might mean you could cash in on a ton of money by auctioning/bargaining it. They want you to take some signed tat and fork the ball over.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

abuse culture. posted:

Is there a sports gambling site that will give me odds on “Shohei Ohtani Heel Turn”

He did that in December

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

e. ^ No what the fan is alleging is that they were told by security staff that if they refused to turn Ohtani's HR ball over that the Dodgers in turn wouldn't authenticate it for them, which functionally renders it worthless from an auction perspective.

The main part of the story that's kinda hosed is that they separated the husband and wife and wouldn't let them talk until the wife - surrounded by security staff - was pressured into surrendering the ball. Everything else kinda sounds par for the course though, teams do this stuff because they don't want to set a precedent that catching a milestone HR ball might mean you could cash in on a ton of money by auctioning/bargaining it. They want you to take some signed tat and fork the ball over.

Ahhhh got it

So yeah I don't give a poo poo about that part of it. The separating them and surrounding her with security is hosed though

e: vvv Yeah I guess I never thought much about that aspect of it. What would motivate a team to authenticate it anyway? So if it comes back to the player they know it's legit? I can't imagine they want to help fans keep and then sell milestone balls

Intruder fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 5, 2024

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
They were saying they were pressured to take the deal because the Dodgers were threatening not to authenticate the Ohtani home run ball if she took it home to make a decision, which would make it worthless, not that they wouldn't authenticate the signed stuff she was pressured to trade it for after being separated from her husband by team staff

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tigers can win it all we just need every team we face to keep being cursed all year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Tigers or O's won it all I'd be all in for that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I guess it doesn't come up often enough to really matter that much but I am kinda surprised the league just hasn't created some kind of standardized policy that lays out a process in which teams are allowed to compel a fan to surrender baseball for milestone reasons, but are then required to offer that fan some form of merch compensation from a per-defined catalogue. I have to imagine you could put some very basic language in the contract for tickets that says "you can be compelled to surrender any playing equipment that happens to end up in the stands" and to put together a little list of "2x signed hats, 3x signed balls, 1x signed bat" etc that you get to pick from if it happens. Seems like it would be a whole lot smoother of a process than having to corner people and haggle.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

bawfuls posted:

At Dodger stadium if you loiter around your car for more than a few minutes in the parking lot, security will come along and tell you to get moving.

This doesn’t necessarily apply in the premium lots of course, though you definitely can’t set up a tailgate there either.

Given past events in that parking lot this seems like the smart move.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think a signed bat is way cooler than a ball

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh yeah like, if I caught one of those balls I'd just take a signed bat/hat and if the player was willing get a picture with them. Put 'em both up on the wall and you've got a lifelong conversation piece.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

In the past I'd have asked for Ohtani's autographed game worn jersey, but in the era of fanatics..........

Also I'd never, ever sell the jersey, that bitch would go in a case and never leave my wall until someone broke in to steal it

e: you can tell it's game worn because it's the color of sweat :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vertical Lime posted:

https://x.com/yankees/status/1776037145032982806?s=46

Boooo, I assumed the timing was intentional and there would be an eclipse party in the middle.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Boooo, I assumed the timing was intentional and there would be an eclipse party in the middle.

The airplane scene from Superman Returns except it's the eclipse instead

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Tigers need to beat the Guards first before they're allowed to win it all :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sydin posted:

Oh yeah like, if I caught one of those balls I'd just take a signed bat/hat and if the player was willing get a picture with them. Put 'em both up on the wall and you've got a lifelong conversation piece.

I don't have an issue with the exchange, I have an issue with how poorly a professional baseball team conducts itself with fans. Yes, it's good to have protocols in place for when you're dealing with shitheads but immediately assuming anyone who catches a ball is said shithead is just not a good look. But it's the Dodgers, so I'm not super surprised.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HOW ARE ALL THE GAMES ALREADY DONE TODAY EXCEPT FOR THE WHITE SOX GETTING DESTROYED???? MODS????????????? MANFRED????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

hardly any nba games either, what's up with tonight?