Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

duz posted:

Neither did I until I read that daydream hour strip that made it explicit.

The manga panels, for reference... it's the very last two of the last page of that chapter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I love dogbolds. You can't 'own' demihumans, Mickbell!!!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Mickbell's a scab

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Bravo Trigger, bra loving oh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zeruel posted:

kabru's a loving arrogant sociopath
"oh the toudens gave money to their injured party members"
"oh thats nice of them-"
"but the injured party members were faking it and got into illegal manufacturing"
okay? isn't it more likely the party members were not being completely honest with the toudens and just taking their money?
fit to be the dungeon lord my rear end. "boy i hope im there when the mask (that i fabricated in my mind) falls off!!"

These are the reactions I been waiting to see.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

ghost sex posted:

there's a short comic in one of the daydream hours that's an immediate follow-up to that scene (and removes any ambiguity):

i like to imagine he's talking in the growling werewolf language from heterogeneous linguistics and kabru didn't even learn it from elves, he was just able to pick it up within a few months

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
there's an extra strip later on with kabru giving kuro lessons in common, it's cute

(heterosexual linguini is a strong recommend for anyone who likes the worldbuilding in dunmeshi btw)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At this point during my original read through I was real worried that Kabru's team was going to end up clashing with and having a vendetta against Laios & co and it was giving me stress.

What ended up happening was much better.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Suspicious lack of Izutsumi in both OP and ED.

She's in the ED.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

there's an extra strip later on with kabru giving kuro lessons in common, it's cute

(heterosexual linguini is a strong recommend for anyone who likes the worldbuilding in dunmeshi btw)

i don't tend to recommend it despite loving it myself because you have to /really/ like the worldbuilding and language learning to get into it lol

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

At this point during my original read through I was real worried that Kabru's team was going to end up clashing with and having a vendetta against Laios & co and it was giving me stress.

What ended up happening was much better.

Its so great how a guy who'd normally be a minor villain/antagonist or punchline actually adapts and grows in response to the poo poo thrown at him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Its so great how a guy who'd normally be a minor villain/antagonist or punchline actually adapts and grows in response to the poo poo thrown at him.

Pretty much everybody in this story acts rationally according to their motivations and perceived best interests.

One of my favorite bits, now that I've gone back and read the middle after missing a lot of it in serialization, is how the Canaries honestly hardly ever do anything sketchy. In fact, they're frequently reasonable and willing to negotiate, and they hardly ever threaten to do any of the things that elves are infamous for doing. They just have really bad attitudes and work for a government with a bad reputation, and as a result nobody thinks its in their best interests for the elves to get what they want.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ThingOne posted:

Mickbell's a scab

Mickbell’s had a real hosed up life and he’s not coping the best, okay?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Some people scab to cope

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
When Laios offers a plate of harpy omelette to Kabru and Kabru's instinctive response is 'I need to kill him' but he takes the food anyway because he's a people pleaser.

And later on there's a panel where he's still chewing because he can't bring himself to swallow the food.

Love the poor boy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

thetoughestbean posted:

Mickbell’s had a real hosed up life and he’s not coping the best, okay?

No scabs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kabru is maybe the best character

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I do think they got lucky with the Canaries a bit since Kabru was there.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kabru is maybe the best character

Its Marcille, duh!!!

But Kabru is the second best though. Its legitimately rare for a guy in a story to rank so highly for me when there is a solid cast of ladies in something. But he just serves as such a great foil to Laois while having all his own lil weird funny eccentricities. Also like Marcille its fun to watch him suffer but he is also kinda the worst so he deserves it more too lol.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

One of my favorite bits, now that I've gone back and read the middle after missing a lot of it in serialization, is how the Canaries honestly hardly ever do anything sketchy. In fact, they're frequently reasonable and willing to negotiate, and they hardly ever threaten to do any of the things that elves are infamous for doing. They just have really bad attitudes and work for a government with a bad reputation, and as a result nobody thinks its in their best interests for the elves to get what they want.
One of my favorite smaller details is that Pattadol looks constantly annoyed at everyone and everything. If one of your main spokespeople is a moody, high-strung teenager (Pattadol is the elf equivalent of like 17) and the rest are literal criminals, yeah no one is going to want to help you.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

pattadol is doing her best

im looking forward to seeing her animated because combined with her fairy she's the only character that can match marcille in the hilarious expressions department

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Henker posted:

One of my favorite smaller details is that Pattadol looks constantly annoyed at everyone and everything. If one of your main spokespeople is a moody, high-strung teenager (Pattadol is the elf equivalent of like 17) and the rest are literal criminals, yeah no one is going to want to help you.

[timg]

On the flip side, if you were a teenager assigned to serving under one of the most accomplished captains who is now suffering from demon-induced depression/hyperfixation and your coworker is guilty of murder and also wants to kill you someday

(And also you're by far the youngest person in the squad that you're nominally in charge of)

You'd be pretty high strung too

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I really hope they do some quality over-the-top Trigger animation with the Contact Fairies...

and that they do justice to this bit where Pattadol squishes the poor fairy into a staff...

Henker
May 5, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

On the flip side, if you were a teenager assigned to serving under one of the most accomplished captains who is now suffering from demon-induced depression/hyperfixation and your coworker is guilty of murder and also wants to kill you someday

(And also you're by far the youngest person in the squad that you're nominally in charge of)

You'd be pretty high strung too

Oh yeah, it's definitely a poo poo job. I'd be annoyed all the time too if one day my parents said, "Hey guess what, we're shipping you to a foreign country to serve as a warden for a penal military unit!".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite how pattadol justified it to herself, it was definitely because they loved her siblings more.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is Dungeon Meshi merch particularly common in Tokyo? I'll be there for a few days in early May during their Golden Week, hoping to score a Senshi plushie if possible. One of the illustrated Dungeon Meshi guides would also be welcome. Not sure where to look, though, since it'll be my first time in Japan.

e: ^^^ Speaking of the fairies, I didn't quite get how they functioned during my first read-through. Are they like the Den Den Snails in One Piece where they look like the speaker?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

VideoWitch posted:

https://twitter.com/bzzykrueger/status/1775646278237421952

gently caress I'm gonna have to figure out a way to get these

Falin's shirt is so goooood

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://www.tumblr.com/femboy-c-cups/739870077894180864

This post is always on my mind when I think about Kabru

femboy-c-cups posted:

Dungeon Meshi is about a quirked up white boy on a quest to save his sister and perhaps indulge his special interest along the way. He's a man of pure heart who has done nothing but help anyone he's met. Then part way through the story you start seeing other pov characters and it turns out every single person who has met him outside his party has read his awkward social skills and love for grilling as a sign of something deeply evil and has vowed to kill him on sight.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Pretty much everybody in this story acts rationally according to their motivations and perceived best interests.

Plus they deliberately hide what's going on with dungeons and demons from everyone because they correctly conclude that people are idiots.

I love how in the middle Kabru and the Canaries are like 'we absolutely must kill Laius before he can smash the big AZ-5 button and destroy the world' and they're not unjustified in that decision.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, just so I can put a pin it, the actual source of the curse is some sort of angel themed monster, right? The constant winged lion motif was my first tip off, but the ancient-elf’s golden grimoire covered in wings is my big clue.
:allears:

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

sharkmafia posted:

pattadol is doing her best

im looking forward to seeing her animated because combined with her fairy she's the only character that can match marcille in the hilarious expressions department

I know Marcille and Pattadol would be great friends (they probably read the same books), and I need more stuff with them interacting.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

e: ^^^ Speaking of the fairies, I didn't quite get how they functioned during my first read-through. Are they like the Den Den Snails in One Piece where they look like the speaker?

They have a fixed appereance, but they're made to look like their owner somewhat. There's a picture in one of the Daydream hours/Adventure Guides comparing some of the fairies.

e:found it

Scallop Eyes fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 5, 2024

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is Dungeon Meshi merch particularly common in Tokyo? I'll be there for a few days in early May during their Golden Week, hoping to score a Senshi plushie if possible. One of the illustrated Dungeon Meshi guides would also be welcome. Not sure where to look, though, since it'll be my first time in Japan.
i think it's still mostly in pre-production - there's going to be some kind of event at the tokyo sky tree from 4/27 to 5/6 where it should be available. pre-order tickets are only available on a site that requires a japanese mailing address (and maybe payment method), but if it doesn't sell out i think you can pay at the door?

https://exhibition-delicious-in-dungeon.com/

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 5, 2024

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I feel a bit sympathetic to Kabru's early behavior on re-reading. Not that he isn't being a dick, but he's lost his entire hometown; is working in a rather brutal and backstabbing business; and is in the middle of a political power struggle where all parties clearly have a deeper agenda and are hiding very important things. He's not wrong to be mistrustful of people's motives. And on top of that, it seems like he's being gassed up by his party ("oh it'll be so great when you're in charge") and is probably feeling all the pressures of a Special Boy with a Tragic Past and a Special Destiny. I kind of feel like his change of heart later in the series is at least in part because he wasn't really into it; like, he maybe felt like he had to be the one to do something because everything sucks and everyone else was Worse, but he didn't necessarily want it for his own ambition -- when poo poo hit the fan, losing that pressure was probably a bit of a secret relief despite how bad things were getting.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

It will be fun to watch the impressions of him change as the show goes on.

He gets introduced as a running gag jobber, then we are led to see him as a scheming antagonist and maybe a self-righteous sociopath, then we find out that he's quite justified and is an actually rational and fair judge of character who lives up to his talk, then he is pretty much the secondary protagonist for the political side of the story.

As I said, he is like a microcosm of how this story and cast keep evolving from simple beginnings and gaining more and more layers.

Sander fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 5, 2024

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Scallop Eyes posted:

I know Marcille and Pattadol would be great friends (they probably read the same books), and I need more stuff with them interacting.

yeah it seemed like pattadol almost immediately took a liking to her when they eventually interact at the end of the story. although i suspect this was also because marcille had resolved to Follow The Rules and she extremely does not make a 'horrible criminal' first impression

if pattadol learned to relax a bit she'd probably get along well with lycaion and fleki since they're not bad people, just weird and a bit sketchy. hopefully she can manage that eventually

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

There's at least one epilogue comic that depicts Marcille and Pattadol having tea parties together. Although that specific meeting was a bit more awkward because Marcille was complaining about the Elven kingdom sending over magic familiars to spy on the new king

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sander posted:

It will be fun to watch the impressions of him change as the show goes on.

He gets introduced as a running gag jobber, then we are led to see him as a scheming antagonist and maybe a self-righteous sociopath, then we find out that he quite justified and an actually rational and fair judge of character who lives up to his talk, then he is pretty much the secondary protagonist for the political side of the story.

As I said, he is like a microcosm of how this story and cast keep evolving from simple beginnings and gaining more and more lairs.

Also all his analysis are pretty accurate for the most part even earlier on.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I mean even his read on the siblings is mostly right, though its less indifference and more just a lack of actual social skills lol. But Kabru is correct that would be a pretty big flaw for like an eventual king to have, which he ends up covering for anyway when he becomes his advisor.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

kabru played rin and I hope he always gets shocked a little bit when he touches a doorknob

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

panko posted:

kabru played rin and I hope he always gets shocked a little bit when he touches a doorknob

I mean, from his little "shame she looked like a monster" bit vis a vis kissing, it seems he does like her too. It's just he's got bigger fish to fry than the personal issues, and she's too tsundere to get anywhere in a timely manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nah he definitely plays Rin, we see in the extras he macks on a ton of women. He is a lil poo poo, that is what makes him good.

e:

never forget

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 5, 2024