Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the Tom Waits Satan in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

He's got a very charming Old Timey "Old Scratch" feel while still just basically playing himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Little Demon has that but it's an animated show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Of all the movie actors of the world who played Satan, who was the best?

Ned Beatty in Network, probably

edit: no, actually I just rewatched this and it's William Hurt in Broadcast News

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I'm actually kinda over satans having delectable, delicious fun. I want a tired satan

Seriously, Satan shouldn’t enjoy his job as much as he does in most of these movies. That was kind of Milton’s whole point.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I forgot the best Satan is obviously Black Philip

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David Grohl in the pick of destiny

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I'm actually kinda over satans having delectable, delicious fun. I want a tired satan

Splint Chesthair posted:

Seriously, Satan shouldn’t enjoy his job as much as he does in most of these movies. That was kind of Milton’s whole point.

Viggo Mortensen in The Prophecy kinda fits this vibe and he's another favorite of mine.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Pacino Satan is just so much fun. I love his monologue about the new millennium belonging to him thanks to pollution and greed while Jeffrey Jones is being chased by demons in central park. I was delighted to learn that the monologues were written by Tony Gilroy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Of all the movie actors of the world who played Satan, who was the best?

Peter Stormare
And Ray Wise, but that was on TV

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Too many dudes in this Best Satan list so I'm gonna add Emmanuelle Seigner from the 9th gate

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

Idris Elba kind of plays the devil in that George.Miller movie

He plays a djinn. Totally different!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Air Skwirl posted:

Elizabeth Hurley Peter Cook in Bedazzled.

Ahem!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Liz looks better in a cocktail dress.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

Idris Elba kind of plays the devil in that George.Miller movie

Oh? I didn't realize Idris was in Babe: Pig In The City.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I thought it was suggest people who would play good Satans, not who had played Satan

Also, still shaking my head in sad bafflement at the lack of enthusiasm for the film Matilda The Musical. It’s no Paddington but it’s at Shaun the Sheep (first film) level.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I think I'd like to see Ian McShane play Satan but I guess it's not too far off from him as Mr. Wednesday in American Gods.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sourdough Sam posted:

I think I'd like to see Ian McShane play Satan but I guess it's not too far off from him as Mr. Wednesday in American Gods.

Watching that right now. Really enjoying it! He’s great. Reminds me a bit of Peter Falk (RIP)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He's perfectly cast in that show. It had a lot of problems but McShane was pretty much the perfect Mr Wednesday.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Timmy Chalamet would be good as a Lucifer sort of angel of light deceiver Satan

Has a Willem Dafoe never been Satan?

He'd be perfect.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Viggo Mortenson in The Prophecy is up there for me for movie Satans. I don't typically find the devil scary in movies but Mortenson manages to come across as pretty spooky. For a more fun loving Lucifer I like Tom Waits in Doctor Parnassus.

As for a couple of actors who I think would do a good job in the role: Jake Gyllenhaal or Stephen Root.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
It's Adam Sandler in Dirty Work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hold up. I just saw this promo for The Incredible, the one where the dad can't get his belt on anymore. That theme playing from it is basically just the OHMSS theme right? I'm not tripping?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I saw some sub-Shaw Brothers kung fu movie where the music was entirely James Bond soundtrack songs. One big fight was scored to Live Or Let Die.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching this olde timey movie called Boomerang and it’s got the bad guy from 12 Angry Men as a grumpy police chief. Pretty good!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
10 minutes into Muppet Treasure Island. Who the hell is this boring kid and where the hell is Kermit

Christmas Carol understood that Muppet movies should operate on Wishbone rules, with Kermit taking the role of the protagonist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jay Rust posted:

Hazbin Hotel has lonely depressed probably neurodivergent manic depressive dad Lucifer! Though he also still manages to have lot of fun.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 5, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

feedmyleg posted:

10 minutes into Muppet Treasure Island. Who the hell is this boring kid and where the hell is Kermit

Christmas Carol understood that Muppet movies should operate on Wishbone rules, with Kermit taking the role of the protagonist

Kermit didn't play Scrooge.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I’m watching this olde timey movie called Boomerang and it’s got the bad guy from 12 Angry Men as a grumpy police chief. Pretty good!

Henry Fonda is in Boomerang??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Muppet treasure island is way better than xmas charol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As having now viewed the Wender's film Perfect Days, I can only say the people clamoring for the Japanese pick for best international nom oscar were loving insane. That poo poo slapped, in the parlance of the youth.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What's the Korean one about childhood crushes at different points in their lives and who never get together?

I'm not 100% I'll watch it. But I might. I really like the now trope. (500) Days of Summer slapped. In the parlance of the previous generation of kids. (I remind my Gen-Z sister who makes fun of my not knowing that e.g. 'tweaking' doesn't mean being high on amphetamines anymore that Gen A has started their teen years now and that means her own days of being hip and with it are numbered.)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

finished Baby Driver, last 1/3 was pretty chaotic.
Guess I liked it.

gently caress Bats.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bright Bart posted:

What's the Korean one about childhood crushes at different points in their lives and who never get together?

I'm not 100% I'll watch it. But I might. I really like the now trope. (500) Days of Summer slapped. In the parlance of the previous generation of kids. (I remind my Gen-Z sister who makes fun of my not knowing that e.g. 'tweaking' doesn't mean being high on amphetamines anymore that Gen A has started their teen years now and that means her own days of being hip and with it are numbered.)

Past Lives. it's excellent

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I liked the unseen Satan in Drive Angry, who is just a prison warden doing his job and hates satanists for making him look like an rear end in a top hat.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm pretty mixed on the recent Sandman adaptation, but I really enjoyed Gwendoline Christie's lucifer in it. Real strong presence and fallen angel vibes.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Seems we're getting three further 28DL sequals all set twenty-eight years after the outbreak. I'm glad. Don't get me wrong. But why is he skipping months, and neglecting centuries?

(Real talk I'd definitely be interested in three different 28 Months Later movies that are seperate and not a trilogy.)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Past Lives. it's excellent

Thanks!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Speaking of a movie set centuries earlier it'd be cool to see a world that reset to caveman days after something like a zombie outbreak has killed most everyone off and our material culture given back to nature. Then they make advances very slowly.

But this time their technological advancements don't follow the same course that ours did at all. They invent the wheel on the same day they harness electricity. Gas-powered vehicles are invented but gunpowder still hasn't been discovered so wars are fought by tanks ramming into each other and using flippers like on that robot battle show.

Well, it might just happen irl, but I wouldn't be around to see it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Baron von Eevl posted:

I saw some sub-Shaw Brothers kung fu movie where the music was entirely James Bond soundtrack songs. One big fight was scored to Live Or Let Die.

Sounds great. Do you vaguely remember its title?

Master of the Flying Guiilotine's soundtrack of kraut-rock & Kraftwerk b-side really adds some distinct spice to its shenanigans.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

Speaking of a movie set centuries earlier it'd be cool to see a world that reset to caveman days after something like a zombie outbreak has killed most everyone off and our material culture given back to nature. Then they make advances very slowly.

But this time their technological advancements don't follow the same course that ours did at all. They invent the wheel on the same day they harness electricity. Gas-powered vehicles are invented but gunpowder still hasn't been discovered so wars are fought by tanks ramming into each other and using flippers like on that robot battle show.

Well, it might just happen irl, but I wouldn't be around to see it.

What do we need to do to make the Battlebots World a reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Air Skwirl posted:

Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled.

Bedazzled is criminally underrated. Such an enjoyable flick