Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kabru is cool, he's just acting off incomplete information, I don't think he's "KiwiFarms" or whatever for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Woah Kabru would be a pretty cool guy if he wasn't such a hater

Being a hater is what makes him a cool guy

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Arist posted:

Kabru is cool, he's just acting off incomplete information, I don't think he's "KiwiFarms" or whatever for that

In the darkest timeline, Kabru has helldumped Laios

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/dun_meshi_anime/status/1775888553420935198

Walking Mushroom plush. 90cm!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

kabru is a true adventurer - polite, considerate, has a plan to kill everyone he meets

i never quite took him as a sniper or australian but i can get down with this reading

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Kabru is cool if not a bit full of himself and his perma killing of the corpse collectors was completely justified. I mean would you spare a bunch of murderous bandits on the road you've bested? No, the sane thing would be to finish them off because turning them in is impractical and the authorities were going to end up executing them anyways.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lamebot posted:

Kabru is cool if not a bit full of himself and his perma killing of the corpse collectors was completely justified. I mean would you spare a bunch of murderous bandits on the road you've bested? No, the sane thing would be to finish them off because turning them in is impractical and the authorities were going to end up executing them anyways.

Yeah, the worst thing you can really say about that decision is that it's very coldly pragmatic. The best case scenario is the corpse retrievers get executed, the worst case is they somehow survive to continue stealing from and murdering parties.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Using two sock puppet accounts in a row to justify his galaxy-brain behavior is a very Kabru thing to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Given the resurrection spell affecting the dungeon it makes Kabru's perma-kill solution rather concerning. He could just as easily be the guy who enjoys killing (he's got the crazy murder eyes thing, after all) and then justifies it behind a mask of pragmatism.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Ah! I just realized who Mickbell reminds me of. She totally looks like Little My from Moomins

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Ah! I just realized who Mickbell reminds me of. She totally looks like Little My from Moomins

As shocking as this may sound, Mickbell's a guy.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

oops

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

to be fair I read the whole manga and didn't realize / notice that until this ep either.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Very cool that Kabru just murdered those guys and condemned their spirits to the dungeon for eternity and his entire team was on board with it

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DamnitGannet posted:

Very cool that Kabru just murdered those guys and condemned their spirits to the dungeon for eternity and his entire team was on board with it

i agree!

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

DamnitGannet posted:

:yeah:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Very normal player behavior.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sorry if you think finding out after fuckin round is unfair

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Huh. Back in antiquity, it was considered to be a basic human decency to at least throw a handful dirt on any random roadside corpse you encounter. Those who died with absolutely no burial ritual were condemned to be restless spirits. A handful of dirt and a murmured word to the god would at least get the soul on its way. Taking the time to actually bury a random corpse with dignity was some saint hood level poo poo.

In the dungeon, you respect the dead by making their bodies easily find able and making sure their soul can’t move on. You disrespect the dead by burying their bodies so deep only the worms and time will find them.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Considering that that group was responsible for extortion, theft, and assault at worst, I'd say extrajudicial murder and soul entrapment is disproportionate retribution

They killed someone who surrendered and was at their mercy. That sort of thing is called a war crime

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The only downside is now their ghosts could be a problem down the line for everyone.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Who can say if murder is right or wrong? I can't, if someone murder me, I just don't know what I would do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Considering that that group was responsible for extortion, theft, and assault at worst, I'd say extrajudicial murder and soul entrapment is disproportionate retribution

They killed someone who surrendered and was at their mercy. That sort of thing is called a war crime

Approaching this like a lawyer is dumb for many reasons, chief among them that they also tried to make Kabru's party murder each other

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azubah posted:

The only downside is now their ghosts could be a problem down the line for everyone.

That would be funny if Kabru's super effective permakill just gets them killed in return by their victims Ghosts because his party sucks at fighting monsters.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arist posted:

Approaching this like a lawyer is dumb for many reasons, chief among them that they also tried to make Kabru's party murder each other

But they weren't trying to permamurder them, just resurrect and rob them

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Mr. Lobe posted:

A properly ironic punishment would be to simply disarticulate the corpses of the bandits and toss the limbs and chunks into one easily findable pile. The sheer difficultly of reassembly and amount of transubstantiation material would have a resurrection fee that would put them in debt slavery for years.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean now we are circling some sort of philosophical question of like does coming back to life lessen the impact of the crime of murdering, which feels both like a yes and no to me.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I also want to explore just how exploitative the live stock industry on the Island must be because of resurrection spell material costs. Is meat as a food item expensive because it is all being funneled into the dungeon economy, or are off-islanders bringing in livestock via boat and have they driven the price down?

edit: if you think about it, the only 'ethical' way to resurrect a person who dies in the dungeon is with animal matter from the dungeon. Keep the emergently complex system closed.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 5, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Pretty sure your soul moves on if your corpse is destroyed. That's why there was a risk of moving Falin's skeleton. They normally don't WANT the soul to move on, so they can be resurrected. I guess there are like actual ghosts hanging about as well, but I don't think there's any implication that this is directly connected to the dungeon's resurrection-friendly soul magic. Like, ghosts are clearly implied to exist on the surface too, commonly enough for spirit mages and wandering exorcists to be a stable job, so I think that's unrelated.

IE: I don't think feeding their bodies to the fishes dooms their souls forever. They just die normally.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 5, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marsupial Ape posted:

edit: if you think about it, the only 'ethical' way to resurrect a person who dies in the dungeon is with animal matter from the dungeon. Keep the emergently complex system closed.

Falin resurrection using ethically sourced dragon meat.*

*Side effects of reaurrection may include mad mage mental influence and magically induced mutations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

Falin resurrection using ethically sourced dragon meat.*

*Side effects of reaurrection may include mad mage mental influence and magically induced mutations.

I said ethical, not easy. Don't eat poison mushrooms and don't use apex elemental predators to resurrect co-eds.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the thing that gives me some pause about murdering the corpse retrievers is that yes, they essentially played the part of bandits to kabru's party there, but also they do do the job they're supposed to. and it's a very important job. kabru wouldn't be alive to kill them if they hadn't revived him after the treasure bugs thing.

they extort their clientele and when someone doesn't quite die in the dungeon they give them a push to get their paycheck. these are pretty bad things and i have no tears shed for them, but it is a little different from being a murderer with the full weight that carries to us, people who live in a context where resurrection is not a real and commonplace phenomena.

they're the equivalent of, idk, ambulance drivers who make you pay up front before they let you in and occasionally secretly get someone's leg broken when business is down. extrajudicial murder from the guy whose leg they just tried to break may be justified, i guess, but it's at least unsettling to watch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

actually come to think of it, did anyone mention anything about their "finder's fee" being disproportionately large? they may have just been kinda pushy and a little rude about getting paid quickly after doing their job.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kabru is also playing a logic game to make himself out as morally superior. Only take their food because stealing everything makes them no better than the thieves.

Ignoring of course how pissed off his party is that their food was stolen. And how quickly Kabru tossed aside the honor among adventurers code he quoted earlier when he agreed to a deal with the thieves and then killed them all.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
They do have "extortionist firefighter gangs of Rome" vibes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

eh, i'm not going to entirely fault him for not taking their valuables as "proof" that his extrajudicial murder was not motivated by personal greed. he certainly is playing some mental gymnastics with himself but "putting his money where his mouth is" isn't a bad thing exactly

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Look, if those corpse retriever guys didn't wanna get got, they shouldn't have started a bunch of poo poo they weren't prepared to finish with a bunch of professional armed weirdos

Down in the Dungeon, Man's law is entirely subservient to Nature's law

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Point is Kabru wants to paint himself as the rightful conquerer of the dungeon while downplaying or justifying his rather questionable actions and skill level.

He also just seems to assume the worst in everyone not part of his party? For a guy so focused on the dynamics of the various island inhabitants that's a really narrowminded view. Like he gets how the interactions work but knows little about intent. Otherwise he wouldn't assume that the Toudens are scumbags.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 5, 2024

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

ninjewtsu posted:

eh, i'm not going to entirely fault him for not taking their valuables as "proof" that his extrajudicial murder was not motivated by personal greed. he certainly is playing some mental gymnastics with himself but "putting his money where his mouth is" isn't a bad thing exactly

If I had to head-canon it, I'd say that there is obviously some sort of code of xenia amongst adventurers within the dungeon. It is an inherently lawless frontier, not just in the lack of centralized authority but also concerning the laws of normal reality. You absolutely have to rely on the kindness of strangers in case of catastrophe, so it is expected to be proactively altruistic towards strangers, especially those in need. Interlopers who violate this social convention have to be dealt with harshly, otherwise the dungeon becomes a Dark Forest scenario where adventuring parties always shoot first and ask questions later.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Kabru is bad because he is mean to my boy Laios