Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think it's a bit of a shame that the manga proper never really goes into how Laios's style of leadership has its downsides vs Kabru's style. Going from the manga/anime episode 13 is the one where we see the 'Kabru is specced for PvP and Laios is specced for PvE' takes which isn't wrong but there's much more than that.

Kabru's team members all trust Kabru and they follow his lead, even after multiple TPKs, and supplementary materials show that he won over not just them but all their close relations on the island/nearby communities too.

Supplementary materials shows that Laios was absolute crap at actually keeping a party together and at one point risked total party disintegration because he was unknowingly showing a lot of favouritism to a mage who kept currying favours from him. Even without the Red Dragon debacle Namari was already getting antsy and thinking about leaving because Laios's ventures weren't getting her cash she needed to repay her dad's debt, and Shuro... well.

There's so much of this world that's really richly detailed and explored that the main storyline never really gets into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Nah he definitely plays Rin, we see in the extras he macks on a ton of women. He is a lil poo poo, that is what makes him good.

e:

never forget

Oh, yeah, he's definitely playing her. It's just that it doesn't seem like he's only playing her. He's fond of her as a person... He just also recognizes everyone's levers, and letting her keep things in deniable territory means maximum available levers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah true, and I do think that fondness applies to about everyone he plays too and not just Rin. Guy just geniuely loves people.

e: Ultimately the biggest hurdle for Rin is that she has the wrong type of fail aura

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 5, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah I mean even his read on the siblings is mostly right, though its less indifference and more just a lack of actual social skills lol. But Kabru is correct that would be a pretty big flaw for like an eventual king to have, which he ends up covering for anyway when he becomes his advisor.

Tbh, I would say that Kabru and Dergal (and maybe Marcille) do about 80-90% of actual ruling in the kingdom.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

what the!

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

GUSTAV H.: "I go to bed with all my friends"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
God I forgot about the old lady. Kabru rules.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Pureauthor posted:

I think it's a bit of a shame that the manga proper never really goes into how Laios's style of leadership has its downsides vs Kabru's style. Going from the manga/anime episode 13 is the one where we see the 'Kabru is specced for PvP and Laios is specced for PvE' takes which isn't wrong but there's much more than that.

Kabru's team members all trust Kabru and they follow his lead, even after multiple TPKs, and supplementary materials show that he won over not just them but all their close relations on the island/nearby communities too.

Supplementary materials shows that Laios was absolute crap at actually keeping a party together and at one point risked total party disintegration because he was unknowingly showing a lot of favouritism to a mage who kept currying favours from him. Even without the Red Dragon debacle Namari was already getting antsy and thinking about leaving because Laios's ventures weren't getting her cash she needed to repay her dad's debt, and Shuro... well.

There's so much of this world that's really richly detailed and explored that the main storyline never really gets into.

I don't know how she would show it more, but Kui definitely thought a lot about it, and not only about those parties either

Also

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
This ep reminded me how massively awkward Shuro is towards every member of his party but especially towards the lady he definitely knows is banging his dad

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SexyBlindfold posted:

This ep reminded me how massively awkward Shuro is towards every member of his party but especially towards the lady he definitely knows is banging his dad

There's nothing quite so complex as your social dynamic with a woman who calls you "master" and insists she lives to serve you, but has spanked you in the past when you misbehaved and has not explicitly promised not to do so again.*

* unless it's a sex thing; that's normal

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Wait, Kabru is likely banging Holm’s sister?

LMAO

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And Dia's fiance.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SexyBlindfold posted:

This was covered in one of the side comics - the reason is explained in that Shuro has a feudal relationship with all of them and treats them with professional distance in the way that a lord would treat his retainers. Which, I mean, honestly, I can respect keeping personal and professional boundaries!

But also that, yes.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And Dia's fiance.

Wow, is that another side-comic? Someone please share, I’m not aware of that.

Dungeon Meshi is a gift that keeps giving.

Edit: I found it. They have to find a way to animate at least some of this extra poo poo. Kui went above and beyond.

Sander fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 5, 2024

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

Sander posted:

Wow, is that another side-comic? Someone please share, I’m not aware of that.

Dungeon Meahinis a gift that keeps giving.

you can't leave this boy unsupervised for a minute

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love the one where they learn Kabru's landlord is cleaning his room for him.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Kabru’s rizz is supernatural. Canaries should investigate him for Ancient Magic.

Speaking of which, I also just found the one where they show Rin’s childhood and how she met Kabru… good lord elves are hosed up.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Averages:
Laios - 76
Kabru - 81.4
Shuro - 84.5
Mr. Tansu - 97.5
Gillin - 72
Mithrun - 71.4

Averages Removing Highest and Lowest:
Laios - 75.5
Kabru - 82.3
Shuro - 85
Mr. Tansu - 100
Gillin - 69
Mithrun - 90

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
This was posted on the other thread, but maybe some of you are avoiding that so enjoy:

https://twitter.com/wanderjegson/status/1776335831306731956

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mr. Tansu is cheating because, Namari aside, they're all his family members and they're a loving and happy family!

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

DrSunshine posted:

Mr. Tansu is cheating because, Namari aside, they're all his family members and they're a loving and happy family!

Namari might as well count, because she might really become his daughter in law at some point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

On the other hand, even the loving family bonus only gets Laios to 92.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Laios is sabotaged by having Chilchuck on his squad. You know he wouldn't give anyone higher than a 61.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

DrSunshine posted:

Tansu used Namari as a meatshield causing her to get shot through the head, and she still gives him a 90, he must be doing something right! How much do you think she would give Laios?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Laios is sabotaged by having Chilchuck on his squad. You know he wouldn't give anyone higher than a 61.

Who the gently caress is the dingus who keeps giving me a 69 on your squad leader ratings? ha-ha, very funny, this is serious business, chucklefucks!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Scallop Eyes posted:

Tansu used Namari as a meatshield causing her to get shot through the head, and she still gives him a 90, he must be doing something right! How much do you think she would give Laios?

it would probably be another one in the 70s

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I love that Izutsumi consistently doesn't give a poo poo about these things and is preoccupied thinking only of Izutsumi

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Izutsumi is truly the best cat this is also a girl.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Apraxin posted:

i think it's still mostly in pre-production - there's going to be some kind of event at the tokyo sky tree from 4/27 to 5/6 where it should be available. pre-order tickets are only available on a site that requires a japanese mailing address (and maybe payment method), but if it doesn't sell out i think you can pay at the door?

https://exhibition-delicious-in-dungeon.com/

Yessss! I will try and see if I can get a ticket through my hotel when I arrive. Looks like a fantastic opportunity to get DM merch, thanks for the heads-up! :waycool:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Kabru gets the funniest ironic punishment ending for his personality.

You gotta work with Laios for the rest of your life guy. You gotta.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can see him going up to 75 if he's impressed with the professionalism on display.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yessss! I will try and see if I can get a ticket through my hotel when I arrive. Looks like a fantastic opportunity to get DM merch, thanks for the heads-up! :waycool:
no worries. i'm also going to be in tokyo (first time back in japan since i lived there 15 years ago), but only for the final day of the exhibition, so probably won't be much left at that point even if tickets are still available. acquire merchandise vicariously for me lol.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Chilchuck will give a higher rating if all the half-foots on the island agree to it.

Namari's rating is equal to her weekly salary in gold pieces.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mithrun is sabotaged by Fleki.

Kabru is lowered by Mickbell who I am pretty sure is only in the party cause he was a package with Kuro.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In the anime, they should accompany all of Izutsumi's expressions with actual cat noises - ear flaps, purrs, rumbles and all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wish people would stop spoiling the fun with Kabru and let new audiences figure them out for themselves~

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 6, 2024

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Scallop Eyes posted:

I don't know how she would show it more, but Kui definitely thought a lot about it, and not only about those parties either

Also

https://twitter.com/borderlambs/status/1776100390779457872

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pureauthor posted:

Even this sort of fits nicely into the theme of the story about desire and satisfaction, the finite nature of something like a meal, how to eat and be full is the temporary privilege of the living and to be grateful we can spend it with each other. Dungeon Meshi achieves that greatest of success of leaving the audience hungry for more. There's really no side character I wouldn't want to see more of, no implication of the ending I wouldn't like to see explored (and the glimpses of these we've gotten are great), and yet the story ran its course and is better for sticking to that while it was running.

Kabru's definitely someone I liked and would have enjoyed seeing more of, he's limited by his relatively secondary place in the story but he's well used for what he is. His ultimate fate as not the conqueror of the dungeon but the new king's hapless advisor is a fun one I'd enjoy seeing a little more of, or seeing if his philandering ways caught up to him.

Honestly it'd be neat to see a What If of him conquering the dungeon. He probably wouldn't have gotten past the Winged Lion, he's just too smart for his own good there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

DrSunshine posted:

In the anime, they should accompany all of Izutsumi's expressions with actual cat noises - ear flaps, purrs, rumbles and all.

will they dare to give izutsumi nya-speech