Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Keep technology level the same? Does he think we are gonna lose it.

He doesn’t believe in climate change so he can’t think it’s from a cataclysmic event

It's another glimpse behind the mask, he thinks that nonwhites are a ravenous horde akin to a zombie movie that will literally tear down society. That's the only mindset that lines up with this post and all the vile vile stuff he's always spouting that i won't even bother citing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FurtherReading posted:

I think he's leaning back into his AI scaremongering and wants to slow down AGIs until there's a permanent, self sufficient civilisation on Mars.

On the note of Musk's multiplanet obsession. I was talking to a friend recently about how low and zero gravity fucks up the human body. People can go blind after two years in zero gravity and, based on experiments with mammals, women probably can't bring a pregnancy to term. Whether Mars having less gravity than earth causes similar issues isn't a well studied field apparently.

No one knows. Mars has about 33% of Earth gravity. Maybe that's enough to prevent the worst effects, maybe not. We can't know until we spend decades in those conditions.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sentient Data posted:

It's another glimpse behind the mask, he thinks that nonwhites are a ravenous horde akin to a zombie movie that will literally tear down society. That's the only mindset that lines up with this post and all the vile vile stuff he's always spouting that i won't even bother citing here

Yes, he posts a lot of openly racist poo poo that's not worth reposting here

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

FurtherReading posted:

I think he's leaning back into his AI scaremongering and wants to slow down AGIs until there's a permanent, self sufficient civilisation on Mars.

On the note of Musk's multiplanet obsession. I was talking to a friend recently about how low and zero gravity fucks up the human body. People can go blind after two years in zero gravity and, based on experiments with mammals, women probably can't bring a pregnancy to term. Whether Mars having less gravity than earth causes similar issues isn't a well studied field apparently.

A good example is the ISS. It's gravity is roughly 10% less than Earths. 6 months up there and you are going into rehab because you muscles are hosed. Mars is 30% of Earths. No one even knows if you can live with that. Also, how will you deal with zero gravity on route to Mars for 8 months? It's just a grifting narcissist living out some mental disorder to his adouring fans. It's like a Star Trek Trump.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Pro: Musk's bodytype will look normal on Mars :dumb:

Con: If Musk looks like a Martian now, imagine what he's gonna look like by then :magical:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Tai posted:

A good example is the ISS. It's gravity is roughly 10% less than Earths. 6 months up there and you are going into rehab because you muscles are hosed. Mars is 30% of Earths. No one even knows if you can live with that. Also, how will you deal with zero gravity on route to Mars for 8 months? It's just a grifting narcissist living out some mental disorder to his adouring fans. It's like a Star Trek Trump.

I would imagine the muscle atrophy on the ISS would be due to the "zero-g" of constant freefall and not having to support body weight though

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CharlestheHammer posted:

He doesn’t believe in climate change so he can’t think it’s from a cataclysmic event
If we don't have enough white babies who's going to keep the lights turned on?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Avirosb posted:

Does Elon think humans aren't going to start warring against each other the moment they start settling space tribes?

Nope, just going to be a few CEOs and other intelligent leaders/money people, lording over a bunch of indentured workers.

This is an ideal future society obviously and will make humanity great again.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

dr_rat posted:

Nope, just going to be a few CEOs and other intelligent leaders/money people, lording over a bunch of indentured workers.

This is an ideal future society obviously and will make humanity great again.

As long as they gently caress off already.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

kazil posted:

I would imagine the muscle atrophy on the ISS would be due to the "zero-g" of constant freefall and not having to support body weight though

Yeah I assumed the ISS was effectively zero gravity. That being said the mammal pregnancy study was done on the ISS so I'm not sure if that is zero gravity or 90% gravity

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FurtherReading posted:

Yeah I assumed the ISS was effectively zero gravity. That being said the mammal pregnancy study was done on the ISS so I'm not sure if that is zero gravity or 90% gravity

There's effectively zero gravity on the ISS because it's in orbit, and "free falling".

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

FurtherReading posted:

The ISS is still affected by gravity. It's why it's in orbit. The Earth is pulling it still.

The "weightlessness" is due to the constant freefall

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yup

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

kazil posted:

Lol you have to ruin a dunk on musk by over explaining but yeah free fall thing of being in orbit adds to it too

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

kazil posted:

The ISS is still affected by gravity. It's why it's in orbit. The Earth is pulling it still.

The "weightlessness" is due to the constant freefall

Yeah I know that, but earlier someone said that it's at 90% gravity so I'm trying to figure out what they mean. I was under the impression that ISS experienced an identical frame as one with 0 gravity.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FurtherReading posted:

Yeah I know that, but earlier someone said that it's at 90% gravity so I'm trying to figure out what they mean. I was under the impression that ISS experienced an identical frame as one with 0 gravity.

Well it's quite close to Earth, and if not actively moving, it would sink right back to the surface very quickly. Earth's gravity extends well beyond the surface.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

FurtherReading posted:

The strength of Earth's gravitational field on the ISS is 90% of that on the surface

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The weightless effect is just in terms of being inside the ISS which is in freefall at the same speed they are. Same as when you're on the vomit comit. You seem to be weightless in the plane but you're both just heading towards the ground at the same speed and earths gravity is still acting the same on you both.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

redshirt posted:

Well it's quite close to Earth, and if not actively moving, it would sink right back to the surface very quickly. Earth's gravity extends well beyond the surface.

Again I know that.

What I'm asking is for the guy who said its demonstrative of how 90% gravity impacts biological processes to explain what he means, especially when someone else said that muscle atrophy was specifically due to not using muscles to move body weight due to freefall rather than a lower persistent gravitational force.

It's been 20 years since I studied physics but what they're saying doesn't jive with what I was thought getting that degree. What I was thought is that from the frame of an object travelling on the ISS it's identical to if the object was experiencing zero gravity, but that object was a uniform perfect sphere and not a womb so I'm open to the idea that they have more knowledge than me.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

You could just put a neuralink in your head to make you believe you live on Mars, you guys are overthinking this

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

No, living on Mars will be real. I totally recall being there

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

FurtherReading posted:

Again I know that.

What I'm asking is for the guy who said its demonstrative of how 90% gravity impacts biological processes to explain what he means, especially when someone else said that muscle atrophy was specifically due to not using muscles to move body weight due to freefall rather than a lower persistent gravitational force.

It's been 20 years since I studied physics but what they're saying doesn't jive with what I was thought getting that degree. What I was thought is that from the frame of an object travelling on the ISS it's identical to if the object was experiencing zero gravity, but that object was a uniform perfect sphere and not a womb so I'm open to the idea that they have more knowledge than me.

Free fall doesn't mean gravity is zero. It is till loving around and ''pulling'' on your organs, fluids etc. Kazil is right about the weightless/muscle stuff for being on ISS. I just ignored that to poo poo on musk.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FurtherReading posted:

Again I know that.

So not sure about how it would affect liquids in a body but for muscle atrophy it's not gravity directly that causes us to use our muscles, it's gravity pushing us against objects in different ways, and us pushing off against objects against gravity. For saggy bits, they sag because say your standing up your skeleton is pressing against the object but saggy extremities are not directly pressing against the object so will sag down until stopped by however much the skin will let them.

You feel gravities pressure when you lie down as you're getting pulled by gravity aginst what ever your laying. When your falling you're not getting pushed aginst something so shouldn't feel gravity. Sorta like how you don't feel the speed you're going you feel acceleration and deceleration, or air resitance if there's air.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2024

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

kazil posted:

No, living on Mars will be real. I totally recall being there

just wanna chip in and thank you for dutifully posting all this hot flaming garbage for us to lol at every day

o7

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Tai posted:

Free fall doesn't mean gravity is zero. It is till loving around and ''pulling'' on your organs, fluids etc. Kazil is right about the weightless/muscle stuff for being on ISS. I just ignored that to poo poo on musk.

Ah that makes a lot of sense, thanks for clarifying.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

dr_rat posted:

So not sure about how it would affect liquids in a body but for muscle atrophy it's not gravity directly that causes us to use our muscles, it's gravity pushing us against objects in different ways, and us pushing off against objects against gravity. For saggy bits, they sag because say your standing up your skeleton is pressing against the object but saggy extremities are not directly pressing against the object so will sag down until stopped by however much the skin will let them.

You feel gravities pressure when you lie down as you're getting pulled by gravity aginst what ever your laying. When your falling you're not getting pushed aginst something so shouldn't feel gravity. Sorta like how you don't feel the speed you're going you feel acceleration and deceleration, or air resitance if there's air.

Yeah that all jives with what I was thought.

The specific idea I'm referring to is that if I'm floating on the ISS in orbit and I bonk a sphere on the left side it'll move to the right in a straight line from my point of view. If the ISS is in the middle of space rather than in orbit and I do the same thing it moves the same way. In the first case it's moving in an arc from the frame of reference of the earth, but since my frame is also moving in an arc it looks like a straight line. The downward acceleration causing the arc in the Earth's frame is not observed in my frame. Similarly, if I wanna move my body to another module I expend the same, lower force with my muscles in both frames.

What Tai is explaining sounds like the 90% gravity is noticeable between the various fluids and materials that make up the human body, causing them to move differently in both frames.

The main takeaway is what this says about how biological phenomenon on the ISS relates to Mars' 33% gravity. The question is will the effects on Mars be exaggerated compared to the ISS because the abstraction of relative frames doesn't fully reflect the impact of gravity on biological processes during freefall?

Edit: I actually found my notes and checked, turns out I was right the first time. Matter on the ISS behaves just like matter that isn't experiencing any gravitational field. If the ISS was not in orbit everything would behave as though it is 10% lighter, but the orbit means mathematically things behave as though there is no earth gravity component at all. So the ISS experiments show what happens at zero gravity and not partial gravity.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 6, 2024

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

FurtherReading posted:

The main takeaway is what this says about how biological phenomenon on the ISS relates to Mars' 33% gravity. The question is will the effects on Mars be exaggerated compared to the ISS because the abstraction of relative frames doesn't fully reflect the impact of gravity on biological processes during freefall?

This is my main gripe with musk when he starts talking about Mars. There is a lot of untested stuff or flat out unknowns at this point in terms of getting to and living on Mars. Propulsion to Mars is the easy part. NASA did 90% of the work for him.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tai posted:

This is my main gripe with musk when he starts talking about Mars. There is a lot of untested stuff or flat out unknowns at this point in terms of getting to and living on Mars. Propulsion to Mars is the easy part. NASA did 90% of the work for him.

Yeah all those details he knows nothing about his idoit workers will figure out. He's a genius man big idea thinker, so he just has to have the idea that going to mars sounds really cool and his genius jobs done and go back to his K.

Fortunatly he's really good a loving up any company he runs, so the details won't actually matter as he's not going to be involved in any mars colony thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lmao that Musk does not learn and is still spouting absolute bullshit dates for stuff. Hell I would be surprised if there is even a manned mission to mars within 20 years let alone colony self sufficiency. Of course the bazingas all lap it up.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
“Retaining our current technology level” doesn’t even make sense because I’m pretty sure humans are gonna need to invent a few more things to make mars “self-sufficient”. His mars poo poo is stupider than any of his other technobabble and I really don’t understand how people buy it.

JUST FIX EARTH IF ITS SO EASY

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Tai posted:

Yeah, like one thing he's genuinely obsessed with is breeding and fertility, so if based on ISS experiments and how freefall impacts it, we can conclude that humans probably need more than 90% gravity to breed it's one of thing that potentially puts a stop on his obsession with Mars colonisation. Assuming he's isn't so far gone to exclaim it woke science and ignore it of course. (he probably will do this if it's ever brought up to him)

poo poo like O'Neil cylinders or whatever creating centrifugal forces to mimic gravity means that problem can be solved this for space based habitats though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

priznat posted:

Lmao that Musk does not learn and is still spouting absolute bullshit dates for stuff. Hell I would be surprised if there is even a manned mission to mars within 20 years let alone colony self sufficiency. Of course the bazingas all lap it up.

China is "planning" one for 2033. Pretty sceptical of plans ten years out, but China and India do seem to be in a bit of a space race going on, so I can actually see them putting in resouces for it. Maybe not by 2033 but possibly within 20 years.

National pride has historical been a pretty good motivator for this sort of thing.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

FurtherReading posted:

poo poo like O'Neil cylinders or whatever creating centrifugal forces to mimic gravity means that problem can be solved this for space based habitats though.

Ya this is the best way atm we know how to mimic gravity. Going to Mars currently is a 15m by 8m box on Starship. No you can't ask questions about storage for food and equipment needed for an 8 month flight. What radiation doing

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

dr_rat posted:

China is "planning" one for 2033. Pretty sceptical of plans ten years out, but China and India do seem to be in a bit of a space race going on, so I can actually see them putting in resouces for it. Maybe not by 2033 but possibly within 20 years.

National pride has historical been a pretty good motivator for this sort of thing.

A lot that can happen in the next while in that area of the world.. If they do send a mission it actually would probably mean the bad poo poo didn’t happen (invasion of Taiwan, China economic collapse) so I will hope they actually get a good shot at that. Skeptical though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

priznat posted:

A lot that can happen in the next while in that area of the world.. If they do send a mission it actually would probably mean the bad poo poo didn’t happen (invasion of Taiwan, China economic collapse) so I will hope they actually get a good shot at that. Skeptical though.

Even just something like if economy goes to crap, space missions would likely to be the first thing to go.

Hopfully thought the next ten fiffteen years are peaceful and properous!!! But same, it would be great if it happens but not exactly holding my breath.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/5/24122064/tesla-cancel-affordable-electric-vehicle-model-2-china

Tesla has cancelled the low-cost car, will pivot to being their own customer.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Musk is on twitter calling this fake news by Reuters despite having an all-hands meeting telling people the project has been cancelled lol.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

CharlestheHammer posted:

He thinks we'll run out of the right people because he watched the documentary idiocracy and listens to noted philosopher Ian miles cheong

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Less Fat Luke posted:

Musk is on twitter calling this fake news by Reuters despite having an all-hands meeting telling people the project has been cancelled lol.

Are you saying we should not listen to the guy that lies about everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005