Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i have not seen any of the omen sequels might fix that this weekend

Same. I think I'll do a little First, other First, Second and Third Omen marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Omen (2006) Decapitation scene UNCUT (gone sexual)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i have not seen the first omen yet but the original omen's soundtrack is still a banger. ave satani ftw

I remember when it was up for an Oscar and the performance had the stage with the choir in black robes doing the vocals.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

The Omen (2006) Decapitation scene UNCUT (gone sexual)

YOULL NEVER GUESS WHO I HIRED A SATANIC CHILD TO DECAPITATE...(GONE SEXUAL)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember when it was up for an Oscar and the performance had the stage with the choir in black robes doing the vocals.

lol if the internet existed then poo poo would be wild

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Horror Thread (Gone Sexual)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Religious horror from a non-religious perspective interests me (or rather Catholic horror specifically), so id love to hear posters thoughts:

If the movie establishes Catholicism is true and God and the devil exist, then you don't have to worry because the devil/antichrist will always be defeated (St. Michael gonna stab that motherfucker during Revelations). So what's scary to me is the devil leading your soul astray from God, thereby denying you his mercy/gift of eternal life. But if you're an atheist you're not afraid of that so that part of the movie doesnt scare you. But if the movie is following canon the birth of the antichrist or the devil shouldnt scare you either bc he is literally fated to lose/be defeated.

Or am I overthinking it and the scariness is just "THERES A SCARY LOOKIN DEMON THATS GONNA GOUGE MY EYES OUT WITH ITS CLAWS"

Edit: Im referring to scariness factor, so if your view is "Im not scared I just dig the movie" no need to post that bc I understand that perspective. I'm referring to non-religious people who do get scared by religious horror

I'm a person who was half heartedly raised Catholic but never really believed, am now atheist.

I like Catholic horror not really because it's scary. There's so much weird poo poo in Catholicism that I love to see how different movies can twist that lore around and do some cool stuff. Like I want to see poo poo like biblically accurate angels and demons and stuff.

I guess it's not too different than people who are into other fantasy universes that want to see the cool poo poo in them on screen.

For me the fact that a lot of people legit believe in the Catholic stuff on screen just makes it even better.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Born and raised Catholic, and while not practicing, I still find Catholic stuff pretty spooky.

And as far as C2C movies go, recent Neil Marshall flick The Lair, definitely has that vibe and while not a direct adaptation evokes giant of kandahar, and dulce base while also tying into Trump conspiracy stuff It's not a great movie, but it's fun enough

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Of the original Omen films, the first movie is the only one I’d consider actually good (and even then, I wouldn’t say Richard Donner has great horror chops). Second one has some decent kills but its more interesting ideas are shoved to the side in favor of rehashing the original film. Third is more dull than a movie with Sam Neill as the Antichrist has any business being

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Kvlt! posted:

same but id hit him with the Razor's Edge the best finisher

You are truly evil! I’ve never taken a razors edge but I’ve taken a crossbones which has a similar bump and it knocked me out cold

https://youtu.be/ct4a19TDcJ0?si=8uqbBgSkC5yxxaVB (skip to 12 minutes it’s not me taking it but that was the tag team I was up against)

I’ve spent the first half of my weekend using a raspberry pi to create my own analogue tv channel …it tuned in on an old cry and is loaded with episodes of tales from the crypt/horror movies and trailers as well as a bunch of other non horror related stuff….its ideal for those times when you want to put something on but don’t want to spend hours scrolling on streaming services for stuff

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

it was from the director who did die hard 5 and max payne lol.

He can copy all the shots he wants but when you are just a hired journeyman with no vision people are gonna notice.

It's also WILD that the director of The Omen did Superman, Lethal Weapon and The Goonies. Donner was a wild director. Gotta give it to him.

Donner did some really good episodes of Tales From the Crypt too. He was part of that show’s core braintrust along with Robert Zemeckis and Walter Hill.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Do we still post rankings? Because –

10 Best “night swims” I can think of after watching Night Swim

1. “Nightswimming” by R.E.M.
2. Actually swimming at night
3. Chrissie’s death, Jaws
4. “Do not be alarmed. Continue swimming naked. Oh, c’mon!” The Simpsons, S6E1
5. O.S.I. vs. The Guild of Calamitous Intent volleyball game, The Venture Brothers, S6E8
6. Samantha’s death, Friday the 13th, Part IV
7. Tony and Carmella, The Sopranos, S5E8
8. Those two kids in Mariah Carey’s “Always be my Baby” music video
9. Night Swim, 2024 film
10. Kenny’s death, Sleepaway Camp

In other words, at best Night Swim was “meh.” At worst, “bleh.” Not gonna be a rewatch for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Poltergeists night swim in the unfinished pool!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Night Swim would have been a lot better if they had realized what a stupid concept it was and just leaned into it. Just keep having random people stop at the house and go for a swim only to disappear. Keep having parties where kids disappear, argue with each other that they should get rid of the pool because it keeps killing children but he really likes swimming.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

CelticPredator posted:

Poltergeists night swim in the unfinished pool!

Crap. Now I gotta redo the list. I even thought of that watching this movie).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Naked Man Punch posted:

Crap. Now I gotta redo the list. I even thought of that watching this movie).

You gotta redo the list again. You forgot GATTACA

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the genuinely affecting parts of most Catholic horror movies usually aren't just about the religion. Omen, Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, etc. all function as horror movies about parenting / pregnancy, for example. it means nothing to me that Father Karras gets possessed by a demon even though he's a priest or whatever but the first third of the movie where Regan's mom is just going out of her mind trying to understand what's wrong absolutely lands

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The medical horror in The Exorcist is absolutely terrifying. Similarly, as fun as the religion is in The Conjuring 2 is from a fantastical standpoint, the reason I really love it is the romantic aspects and the exploration of seeking relief from grief and answers in a world that may have none.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also I'd say it's really about the suffering the characters are experiencing or trying to avoid. That they may end up ok in some grand cosmic sense seems kinda irrelevant when a demon guy is torturing you today or whatever.

Oh man now I'm just thinking of Occult. God I love that ending.

Everyone in The Blair Witch Project definitely went to heaven though, so it's kind of a happy movie if you think about it.

Just rewatched Unfriended: Dark Web and god that movie is so much fun. Mostly just a dark comedy about the shittiest white guy boyfriend in horror (well maybe not but he's up there. dude JUST LEARN ASL). It's truly an injustice we got like 15 Paranormal Activity films but I'll never get my third Unfriended.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think in an alternate universe, Gore got elected and instead of our solo 2000s Freddy Kreuger being some misguided Little Children rear end poo poo, it's a screenlife Kreuger (somehow, don't really think about it too much it really doesn't matter OH MY GOD HES IN MY WEBCAM)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also I truly think found footage and screenlife are amazing genres and deserve respect. If you don't gently caress with them, then gently caress your house. Who doesn't love compelling cursor acting? I mean cmon!
They have so much potential even outside of horror for storytelling and sure like 99% of them are basically student college films that suck poo poo, but with a truly creative hand they provide an opportunity for affordable immersiveness and surreal horror. Like The Outwaters was incredible imo, we all know how dope Koji Shiraishi is as well, and I really don't give a gently caress about the "why/how is he holding a camera" question.

Also enjoyed the Searching/Missing films (more the latter tho, not a huge fan of Searching). And Host almost gave me a goddamn heart attack.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Naked Man Punch posted:

Kickstarting a film, the site says "Hey, here's another to look at!"

Guitarwolf is trying to make Wild Zero 2?!?!

If you have never seen the first one, it is the best and most batshit zombie-alien-rockabilly-with-a-surprisingly-progressive-message movies I have ever seen.

(I'd post the link, but I don't the rules on such. Note: I am in no way connected to this movie.)

It's a great film - last I checked, it's incredibly hard to get legitimately in the UK though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Still really need to watch The Sudbury Devil though...not that that's FF.

I got the chance to watch The Blair Witch Project again not too long ago, but on a giant screen in a movie theater after closing. I hadn't watched it since it had come out, and it hadn't left a huge impression on me as a kid (I just remember my friends all discussing the purported "reality" of the film during the hyping of it)
Just a screening with a grainy VHS. It was incredible. And it's clearly a movie that is gonna age like fine wine, in 2024 it just feels like this lost ancient fuzzy piece of cursed media. Imagine what it'll feel like in like 2050 ("dad, what were 'the woods'?").

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

As someone who went to college for journalism and took reporting classes, edited together video packages, etc. The Blair Witch Project is incredible to me because it absolutely nails the reality of the concept. You fully believe it's found footage because it does so many great little things an actual student documentary would do. I love the intensity and ramping panic and frustration, too. It's still awesome.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

FoneBone posted:

Of the original Omen films, the first movie is the only one I’d consider actually good (and even then, I wouldn’t say Richard Donner has great horror chops). Second one has some decent kills but its more interesting ideas are shoved to the side in favor of rehashing the original film. Third is more dull than a movie with Sam Neill as the Antichrist has any business being

Omen 3 needed to go bigger, it's all about the antichrist holding a seat of power but it doesn't feel like he has any impact at all on the world outside of some local murders (so no different from a normal CEO)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also I truly think found footage and screenlife are amazing genres and deserve respect. If you don't gently caress with them, then gently caress your house. Who doesn't love compelling cursor acting? I mean cmon!
They have so much potential even outside of horror for storytelling and sure like 99% of them are basically student college films that suck poo poo, but with a truly creative hand they provide an opportunity for affordable immersiveness and surreal horror. Like The Outwaters was incredible imo, we all know how dope Koji Shiraishi is as well, and I really don't give a gently caress about the "why/how is he holding a camera" question.

Also enjoyed the Searching/Missing films (more the latter tho, not a huge fan of Searching). And Host almost gave me a goddamn heart attack.

Horror Thread: compelling cursor acting

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Somebody brought up the topic of movies that scared us when we were little and I thought of a few:

- A TV movie called Bad Ronald about a kid that commits a crime and is walled up in a secret room in the house by his mother who's trying to hide him from the police. She dies but he's still stuck in there and a new family moves in. Hijinks ensue. Really creeped me out.

- Prophecy, a monster movie about a mutated bear. Not "so bad it's good" but scary enough to freak out a 10 year old.

- Phantom of the Paradise was on TV one night when I was quite young and the loving record press accident and hosed up eyeball was enough to give me nightmares. Saw it decades later and was able to pick up the campy style but still able to realize how it might rattle a child.

Honestly, I'd recommend all three of these movies. PotP is loving fantastic, Bad Ronald is eerie and Prophecy is just a goofy monster film but has some cool poo poo in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gaz2k21 posted:

You are truly evil! I’ve never taken a razors edge but I’ve taken a crossbones which has a similar bump and it knocked me out cold

https://youtu.be/ct4a19TDcJ0?si=8uqbBgSkC5yxxaVB (skip to 12 minutes it’s not me taking it but that was the tag team I was up against)

Edit: oops I misunderstood your post sorry!! that crossbones does look brutal drat :o

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

Somebody brought up the topic of movies that scared us when we were little and I thought of a few:

- A TV movie called Bad Ronald about a kid that commits a crime and is walled up in a secret room in the house by his mother who's trying to hide him from the police. She dies but he's still stuck in there and a new family moves in. Hijinks ensue. Really creeped me out.

I had to pirate this a few years ago because I remembered it in a fever dream and couldn't remember if it existed or not haha.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

I had to pirate this a few years ago because I remembered it in a fever dream and couldn't remember if it existed or not haha.

For about a month, I kept looking around our apartment trying to find hidden peepholes and poo poo and every odd sound I heard I thought was some weirdo hiding out in a secret room somewhere.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i've been curious about Bad Ronald for a while because it's one of the few other movies starring the kid who plays opposite Jodie Foster in The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (great, creepy movie)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

Horror Thread (Gone Sexual)

we desperately need a new thread title and this one has my vote

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

bad ronald the mcdonalds horror movie

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've been curious about Bad Ronald for a while because it's one of the few other movies starring the kid who plays opposite Jodie Foster in The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (great, creepy movie)

Found a link for it

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Q9fZFSfHmMF0/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What does (Gone Sexual) reference is that a Tik Tok or youtube thing

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

clickbait youtube videos often add things like (GONE SEXUAL) to videos to try to attract viewers. I dont know if they actually use gone sexual or if its kinda mocking things like (GONE CRAZY).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

Iirc it’s a YouTube play on clickbait videos

Prank on friend (GONE WRONG)

But maybe there was sexual ones lol idk

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The magician kid that gets mogged by pedo Martin Sheen?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane is so good. That ending actually made me shriek. It's pitch perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Iirc it’s a YouTube play on clickbait videos

Prank on friend (GONE WRONG)

But maybe there was sexual ones lol idk

There absolutely are, and a lot of the time it's just tame nonsense that people are overstating because they're in the business of grabbing attention.