Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Non Compos Mentis posted:

ahh so its kinda like solder

Kind of, except youre also melting the surface of the workpiece to fuse the filler to it, and you put the rod to the pool not the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Karate Bastard posted:

Very good video from Stumpy Nubs on the future of table saws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKkuDduYLk

SawStop will not let their patents stand in the way of new legislation to require flesh sensing technology in table saw. This will probably lead to much more expensive table saws, possibly less competition, and maybe an end to affordable entry level table saws, argues Stumpy Nubs.

Use blade guards.

I just wanna point out that I can’t identify a single object on the background walls here and between that and Mr. loving Table Saw private investigator just… wtf

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A bit late but Lockpicking Lawyer has some good tips on using a 36" tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2PuE6ELmg

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

hellotoothpaste posted:

I just wanna point out that I can’t identify a single object on the background walls here and between that and Mr. loving Table Saw private investigator just… wtf

He is a wood fetischist.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

ahh so its kinda like solder

Solder is a different game - its a different, lower melting point material that fills and bonds between your two bits of metal, there is no combining or homogenizing of the liquid.

Weld filler rods are the same as the metal you're welding, you physically melt the base metal that you'ure trying to combine then add the filler to that weld pool. When it cools its physically combined the metal from both items together with the filler.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I AM GROOT

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

The shaft is hollow with a hole at the end (underneath the spinny bits) and you pump water through it to flush out all the crap as you go

e. actually thinking about it, the water probably comes out of these

I should call her

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Ha! I've actually got something to contribute to the OSHA thread... My first job out of college was at Smith International, SmithBits division. We made those drill bits, though probably not that exact one.
That's a Tri-cone bit (called that for obvious reasons)... the other ones we made were PDC bits which had no moving parts and had little columns of Poly Crystalline Diamond as the 'teeth' and a big hole in the middle. The drilling mud flows through and brings the excavated dirt back up and in the case of tri-cones, also does a lot of fluid dynamics stuff with the cones.

I'm a software developer, and one of the cooler things I did there was help an engineer optimize a simulation for how the teeth hit the ground when a tricone bit rotated. You can see it in that movie that the teeth, which are orders of magnitude harder than anything else on the drill bit, should be the first to hit any piece of ground. But if the teeth aren't spaced correctly/optimally, you can get teeth hitting the same spot of ground digging a smaller hole which causes one of the cones to actually hit the dirt first. Engineer guy had made a simulation in Excel of where each tooth would hit dirt given a number of rotations of the bit/drill string. Of course it ran like dog poo poo. So I helped optimize it and secure it (proprietary technology, yo) by putting the actual simulation part on a server and just using excel as a front end. cool times.

Anyway, for OSHA content... my partner just told me a crane fell in Ft Lauderdale and killed someone on Friday? How often does that happen?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

namlosh posted:

Anyway, for OSHA content... my partner just told me a crane fell in Ft Lauderdale and killed someone on Friday? How often does that happen?

I heard about that because Elon used his mom's account to tell everyone that a Tesla driver survived that crane because of how great his cars are lol (more that they were super lucky the crane didn't hit above the passengers directly)

As for the crane, there's a whole CBS video about the safety violations and OSHA investigation, and the victim who died:

https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/2-injured-as-part-of-crane-falls-on-vehicle-on-fort-lauderdale-bridge/

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Its fine, they budgeted twenty percent over for the sacrificial road bearing wood.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

https://i.imgur.com/vW6g5um.gifv

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

namlosh posted:

Ha! I've actually got something to contribute to the OSHA thread... My first job out of college was at Smith International, SmithBits division. We made those drill bits, though probably not that exact one.
That's a Tri-cone bit (called that for obvious reasons)... the other ones we made were PDC bits which had no moving parts and had little columns of Poly Crystalline Diamond as the 'teeth' and a big hole in the middle. The drilling mud flows through and brings the excavated dirt back up and in the case of tri-cones, also does a lot of fluid dynamics stuff with the cones.

I'm a software developer, and one of the cooler things I did there was help an engineer optimize a simulation for how the teeth hit the ground when a tricone bit rotated. You can see it in that movie that the teeth, which are orders of magnitude harder than anything else on the drill bit, should be the first to hit any piece of ground. But if the teeth aren't spaced correctly/optimally, you can get teeth hitting the same spot of ground digging a smaller hole which causes one of the cones to actually hit the dirt first. Engineer guy had made a simulation in Excel of where each tooth would hit dirt given a number of rotations of the bit/drill string. Of course it ran like dog poo poo. So I helped optimize it and secure it (proprietary technology, yo) by putting the actual simulation part on a server and just using excel as a front end. cool times.

Cranes falling isn't particularly common, but there are so many cranes out there that it's always happening somewhere.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

namlosh posted:

The teeth are typically Tungsten Carbide which yeah, is way harder and more wear resistant than steel. Though if you're drilling through dirt, often the teeth are just hardened steel. The carbide teeth are for rock. If you have to go through dirt and rock then you might change bits once you hit rock, or you might just go with the carbide tooth bit the entire time.

Its interesting about the tooth placement if they hit the same spot, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. If each tooth landed in the same spot, it would take way longer to drill the hole too. Lots of guys are getting paid by the foot to drill water wells (that looks to be too small for an oil well) so slow penetration rates = less money.

I've seen but never used a PDC bit, by most accounts they're dope as gently caress but IIRC still a bit expensive compared to a tri-cone.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

The shaft is hollow with a hole at the end (underneath the spinny bits) and you pump water through it to flush out all the crap as you go

e. actually thinking about it, the water probably comes out of these

Yeah, those look like water/mud jets. Some times they'll use air as a flushing media. But you pretty much got it. Air, water or mud (a mixture of water and various "things") is pumped through the drill rods, out the bit and it sends the "cuttings" (as we call them) up the hole. Though there are cases where a method known as "reverse circulation" is used. In that case, water or mud (never heard of air being used for that) is pumped down the hole on the outside of the drill rods, and then cuttings are flushed up the bit, and through the rods to surface.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I should call her…

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
They better wash those off and eat them, small watermelons are like $6 each around here.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

wesleywillis posted:

The teeth are typically Tungsten Carbide which yeah, is way harder and more wear resistant than steel. Though if you're drilling through dirt, often the teeth are just hardened steel. The carbide teeth are for rock. If you have to go through dirt and rock then you might change bits once you hit rock, or you might just go with the carbide tooth bit the entire time.

Its interesting about the tooth placement if they hit the same spot, but now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. If each tooth landed in the same spot, it would take way longer to drill the hole too. Lots of guys are getting paid by the foot to drill water wells (that looks to be too small for an oil well) so slow penetration rates = less money.

I've seen but never used a PDC bit, by most accounts they're dope as gently caress but IIRC still a bit expensive compared to a tri-cone.

Yeah, those look like water/mud jets. Some times they'll use air as a flushing media. But you pretty much got it. Air, water or mud (a mixture of water and various "things") is pumped through the drill rods, out the bit and it sends the "cuttings" (as we call them) up the hole. Though there are cases where a method known as "reverse circulation" is used. In that case, water or mud (never heard of air being used for that) is pumped down the hole on the outside of the drill rods, and then cuttings are flushed up the bit, and through the rods to surface.

There were some really huge bits used in drilling shafts for nuclear tests:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Nevada_Test_Site_Big_Hole_Drilling

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

There were some really huge bits used in drilling shafts for nuclear tests:

That's a big rear end weed grinder.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's so loving weird to me that we spent all that time and energy drilling a gigantic hole in the desert just to put a bomb in it and blow it up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sagebrush posted:

It's so loving weird to me that we spent all that time and energy drilling a gigantic hole in the desert just to put a bomb in it and blow it up.

We had to stop the mole people somehow :shrug:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://x.com/alexkaplan0/status/1776110043181535717?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Even the non-faked content around that is hilarious:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OSHA IV: stay away from the animals

https://x.com/yaqobhyndes/status/1776083164219470009?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

this is awesome and i am fully in support of this

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/JxIQr03.mp4

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

This is why they have chinups in the fitness requirement for application.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

MrQwerty posted:

this is awesome and i am fully in support of this

While I had to barf a little.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sagebrush posted:

Turns out strontium-90 in baby teeth is something of a political downer, and if you want to both prepare to end the world in an orgy of nuclear hellfire AND keep the Moms Against Drunk Driving vote, digging a hole is the cheap option.

The holes also let us get much better imaging of the very very early parts of the gigantic ka-boom, which were more useful than 'yerp, sure is a big mushroom shaped cloud all right!'.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Was that really so urgent that they couldn't take the time to plan it a little more carefully? So many of these OSHA close calls are just impatience. Bonk it with a wrecking ball or something, not a human lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Was that really so urgent that they couldn't take the time to plan it a little more carefully? So many of these OSHA close calls are just impatience. Bonk it with a wrecking ball or something, not a human lol

It’s a stunt for a movie.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah and that driver should have turned right instead of wrong like a dumbass

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s a stunt for a movie.

That just makes it worse since the car clipped the thing and that guy almost ate poo poo!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/qrMbfnk.mp4

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

If my pancakes say /r/toolgifs I swear to god ...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mind = blown

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im at the end of the belt with mouth open.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Apologies if this was already posted here but I feel it's very relevant: a WiFi-enabled circuit breaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd16_Y9xfpw

Its remotely controllable via an app which lets you do plenty of dangerous poo poo like remotely cycling the breaker or disabling ground fault and overload protection (Bonus: there's no way to tell if protection is disabled by looking at the breaker)!

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Anyone got a link to that urbex where they climbed into the combustable gas layer in an underground facility, causing their voices to change?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ah, the butt broiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Groda posted:

Anyone got a link to that urbex where they climbed into the combustable gas layer in an underground facility, causing their voices to change?

I got you bro. About 18 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/CXpYFtI0nqU?si=u7hD6tbuCznW67Kt