Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you're holding it wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Scud Hansen posted:

i don't know if its a RHEL only thing but every time i ask dnf to do anything it takes 60 seconds to tell me A) I can't find that B) if i can i can't resolve its dependencies

RHEL does take it longer than the equivalent alma or rocky because it needs to check you have a subscription. dnf/yum/rpm have always been trash in the face of apt-get/apt/dpkg though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i also have strong opinions about dnf/yum/rpm vs apt-get/apt/dpkg

NOT!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nerds

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

not everyone gets to focus on making trash speakers for rubes fart. some of us have to make trash software/solutions for rubes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i dont recognize that as a valid occupation

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

which one is that lol

instead of running did-you-mean it runs rm -rf /

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Scud Hansen posted:

i don't know if its a RHEL only thing but every time i ask dnf to do anything it takes 60 seconds to tell me A) I can't find that B) if i can i can't resolve its dependencies

might be, dnf works ok on clear but the repo is probably much smaller than rhel's, if that matters. you're really supposed to use swupd

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

pacman is the only good package manager. not imo because it's fact.

i have one rhel server at work i sometimes do a dnf on and it takes a while. i don't understand why but it spits out a lot of messages about checking subscription and all kinds of nonsense

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
admittedly if you told me 10 years ago that there's an awesome handheld gaming PC that ran Linux and actually supported things like HDR, wifi, power management and had a better touch UI than Windows devices in the same area I would have laughed in your face

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

WilWheaton posted:

admittedly if you told me 10 years ago that there's an awesome handheld gaming PC that ran Linux and actually supported things like HDR, wifi, power management and had a better touch UI than Windows devices in the same area I would have laughed in your face

why? ps4 (released 2013) and ps5 are bsd

e: vita (2011) too, apparently

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 7, 2024

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

fair point

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Would games run better on Steam Deck if SteamOS was based on Clear Linux? I know it uses AMD but it still benefits from the optimisations. Probably not since most games aren't CPU-limited.

There's a few Clear Linux benchmarks on Phoronix but I don't think any of them use games.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i can say from first-hand experience that crappy intel mobile hardware is much much faster under clear, but it really doesn't play well with AMD platforms, unfortunately

i mean, i know people can and do get it to boot (that benchmarks exist at all is proof), but it doesn't even get to a login screen on my only amd laptop. they'd probably need to do a lot of work

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Beeftweeter posted:

and the switch

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

i can say from first-hand experience that crappy intel mobile hardware is much much faster under clear, but it really doesn't play well with AMD platforms, unfortunately

i mean, i know people can and do get it to boot (that benchmarks exist at all is proof), but it doesn't even get to a login screen on my only amd laptop. they'd probably need to do a lot of work

Doesn't Intel have a history of actively sabotaging AMD performance, including tweaks in their compiler? Not running great on AMD is probably baked in very deep.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

if you want clear linux performance on amd i guess you should run gentoo, -march=native and all

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i don't think it matters more than just do a clean over which services you let run all the time

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

I think the PS3 used parts of FreeBSD too. That would explain why it has the option to connect to a printer to print out your GT photographs. If the drivers are already there, why take them out?

I wonder if the PSP did as well, but since it had a homebrew community from day one it would probably be well known if it did

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

That loving Sned posted:

I think the PS3 used parts of FreeBSD too. That would explain why it has the option to connect to a printer to print out your GT photographs. If the drivers are already there, why take them out?

I wonder if the PSP did as well, but since it had a homebrew community from day one it would probably be well known if it did

i never had a ps3 so i couldn't tell you, but i can say for sure the psp didn't

how did the ps3 connect to the printer? i think some bluetooth-capable printers don't require drivers somehow

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Sony even shipped some PS3s with a linux desktop / dev environment for programming its weirdo CPU.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

cell architecture was pretty hyped in the mid 2000s. everything was going to bow down to it!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i meant to reply to this earlier,

ryanrs posted:

Doesn't Intel have a history of actively sabotaging AMD performance, including tweaks in their compiler? Not running great on AMD is probably baked in very deep.

they have done some poo poo in the past, yeah. but here i'm not sure it's really all that sinister, they're pretty explicit about their optimizations being for their implementation of the architecture, including UEFI (it uses its own, extremely minimal bootloader), and yeah, their compiler usually results in stuff that runs like poo poo on amd. but they recently retired icc with a replacement that is based in clang and has a LLVM backend, so there's really no reason for them to do that anymore (they can just keep clang's code path for amd as is, i guess; it's open anyway, so if they do gently caress with amd, people will know). i think it's just that intel's cpus work differently from amd's

but either way, benchmarks show a definite improvement in performance even on amd. i don't think that would be possible if they were intentionally sabotaging amd cpus running it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i could swear i saw some release notes mentioning improving compatibility with ryzen blah blah

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ryanrs posted:

Sony even shipped some PS3s with a linux desktop / dev environment for programming its weirdo CPU.

My earliest memory of using Linux was installing Yellow Dog Linux on the PS3 just because they let you. I wonder what people really used it for, since the PS3 had pretty good media support by default. I remember using it with a Plex server before HTPCs were cheap or streaming boxes existed, and you could even rip CDs on it.

I think the GPU was restricted in OtherOS to make it less useful for running games, and I doubt you could find much software using the Cell's SPUs so you're stuck with a single core PowerPC CPU with 256MB of RAM and VRAM.

Beeftweeter posted:

i never had a ps3 so i couldn't tell you, but i can say for sure the psp didn't

how did the ps3 connect to the printer? i think some bluetooth-capable printers don't require drivers somehow

USB and network, although no mention of bluetooth: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/printersettings.html

Beeftweeter posted:

but either way, benchmarks show a definite improvement in performance even on amd. i don't think that would be possible if they were intentionally sabotaging amd cpus running it

Probably goes without saying, but is AMD the reason Intel has been trying to ditch x86 for so long? They tried to make a completely new architecture for 64-bit with Itanium and eventually had to adopt amd64 since everyone preferred the one that was familiar and backwards compatible.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wow, I am really hating some of the compiler options I see flying by during this build. Make up your drat mind.

/home/ryan/openwrt/staging_dir/toolchain-mips_24kc_gcc-12.3.0_musl/libexec/gcc/mips-openwrt-linux-musl/12.3.0/cc1 -quiet -I . -I . -I ../../host-mips-openwrt-linux-musl/gcc -I ../.././libgcc -I ../.././libgcc/. -I ../.././libgcc/../gcc -I ../.././libgcc/../include -MD _divhelperDA_s.d -MF _divhelperDA_s.dep -MP -MT _divhelperDA_s.o -idirafter /home/ryan/openwrt/staging_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/usr/include -D IN_GCC -D GTHREAD_USE_WEAK=0 -D IN_LIBGCC2 -D GTHREAD_USE_WEAK=0 -D HAVE_CC_TLS -D SHARED -D L_divhelper -D DA_MODE -isystem ./include ../.././libgcc/fixed-bit.c -meb -quiet -dumpbase _divhelperDA_s.c -dumpbase-ext .c -minterlink-mips16 -msoft-float -mllsc -mabi=32 -g -g -g -g -g -O2 -Os -O2 -O2 -Os -Wextra -Wall -Wno-narrowing -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wold-style-definition -fbuilding-libgcc -fno-stack-protector -fPIC

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mentioned some pages back how i find linux very boring, and here we are with two linux threads, one with page after page of tech support for a myriad little issues hbag is having, and one where people are reviewing each others cflags.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

guess you were wrong

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
bah! hbag

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder what people really used it for, since the PS3 had pretty good media support by default.

There were people who were weird enough to use it as a desktop (even for the PS2!) but the Other OS thing was only ever in the PS3 for tax reasons. Something about if they sold it as a "computer" instead of a "games console" they would be able to afford three yachts instead of just two. Including the ability to install another OS on it made it count as a "computer" for these purposes.

It got used mostly for datacentre and research use, because you could create relatively inexpensive compute clusters with what was really quite a good CPU for compute. I figure if bitcoin happened a little earlier we'd have seen people use PS3 clusters for mining. Wikipedia tells it better than I could: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster.

Also you're owed like $11 or something if you can prove you bought a PS3 before Other OS was removed and say "yeah I totally bought the PS3 to install Linux on" because of a class action lawsuit a few years ago.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

huh, yeah it probably used CUPS then

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

it is getting pretty annoying that they're doing the hbag thing but i already yelled at them before i read here that people are also getting annoyed lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

someone was talking about kde so I swapped my lubuntu install to kubuntu and it’s okay i guess

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
its good, lxde isn't developed anymore (p sure it's been replaced by lxqt) and plasma uses qt anyway, so you should be able to use your themes

if not (idk if they're immediately available/compatible), maybe try installing kvantum. i know i saw lxqt themes in there

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have never used linux with a GUI except for the time when my netbook from the mid-late 2000s shipped with some weird distro, which I promptly formatted and installed windows

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Beeftweeter posted:

its good, lxde isn't developed anymore (p sure it's been replaced by lxqt) and plasma uses qt anyway, so you should be able to use your themes

if not (idk if they're immediately available/compatible), maybe try installing kvantum. i know i saw lxqt themes in there

i pressed the dark mode theme and that seems fine

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Captain Foo posted:

i pressed the dark mode theme and that seems fine

breeze dark is really pretty nice yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this stupid vm seems perfect for a dank mode theme tbh

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
more software needs a dank mode toggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nobody Interesting posted:

There were people who were weird enough to use it as a desktop (even for the PS2!) but the Other OS thing was only ever in the PS3 for tax reasons. Something about if they sold it as a "computer" instead of a "games console" they would be able to afford three yachts instead of just two. Including the ability to install another OS on it made it count as a "computer" for these purposes.

It got used mostly for datacentre and research use, because you could create relatively inexpensive compute clusters with what was really quite a good CPU for compute. I figure if bitcoin happened a little earlier we'd have seen people use PS3 clusters for mining. Wikipedia tells it better than I could: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster.

Also you're owed like $11 or something if you can prove you bought a PS3 before Other OS was removed and say "yeah I totally bought the PS3 to install Linux on" because of a class action lawsuit a few years ago.

the cell was interesting for a year or two for really early compute stuff, but then nvidia released cuda and that was that. by 2008 or so the consensus was "the cell is an architectural dead-end"

linux on the ps3 was otherwise useless, as it was really slow, starved for memory, and rendered everything in software. unless you wanted to do compute stuff on the cell, there was no point. someone did figure out how to get to the gpu under linux at some point, but sony promptly disabled that in the next update. there were efforts to create a mesa driver that use the spus for rasterization, but that didn't really see any use either

i think i got something like $17 total from the ps3 linux settlement