Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the first time i saw the Room was on Adult Swim where they censored the sex scenes with giant censor bars which was even funnier than the actual sex scenes

The best way to watch the room imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Crescent Wrench posted:

Unlike Unfriended, however, it's complete and total garbage. (Unfriended is complete and total garbage, but in an endearing and fun way.)

I thought Host was okay. Had some decent spooky bits but yeah, Unfriended is a lot more fun-bad.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/thefilmstage/status/1777029937087533248?s=46
This is a really great collaboration I never knew I wanted.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Got back from seeing The First Omen and it’s crazy how both it and Immaculate hit similar story beats and while both are decent I have to give the nod to Immaculate as the better movie. The twist of Margaret being one of the girls created to be the mother of the anti-Christ was so telegraphed it might as well have not been a twist at all. The twist in Immaculate of there actually being nothing supernatural actually going on worked a lot better.

If you have to see one spooky nun/religious horror film only, Immaculate would be the better option but my suggestion would to see both if you can. Considering how played out spooky nun/catholic horror felt to me, I’m kinda surprised I now have two I’d recommend so shortly in the same year.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

dorium posted:

https://x.com/thefilmstage/status/1777029937087533248?s=46
This is a really great collaboration I never knew I wanted.

Oh gently caress yes. It's Such A Beautiful Day is one of my favorite movies of all time (and my pick for scariest horror movie). This is gonna be dreadful (affectionate).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i have a fun idea for the horror challenge:

The Reverse Kvlt!: Watch a movie that ISNT a horror movie (must defend against attempts to argue it is a horror movie)

edit: oops sorry Erin i didnt see your post above mine it wasnt a response to your post!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

i have a fun idea for the horror challenge:

The Reverse Kvlt!: Watch a movie that ISNT a horror movie (must defend against attempts to argue it is a horror movie)

edit: oops sorry Erin i didnt see your post above mine it wasnt a response to your post!!

Hollismason posted:

NOT HORROR Category where you watch one movie that is not categorized as horror but you explain why it is horrific to you.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mine is different: Im saying "find a movie that cannot be interpreted as a horror movie"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

mine is different: Im saying "find a movie that cannot be interpreted as a horror movie"

Oh OK I get it, instead of you arguing that it's horror, other people argue that it's horror and you have to counter their arguments. I feel that can go only one of two ways; either people instantly get bored of it and nobody responds to the entries, or people don't get bored of it and the arguments completely drown out all other discussion in the thread.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Oh OK I get it, instead of you arguing that it's horror, other people argue that it's horror and you have to counter their arguments. I feel that can go only one of two ways; either people instantly get bored of it and nobody responds to the entries, or people don't get bored of it and the arguments completely drown out all other discussion in the thread.

thats what i thought too but i think the way to do it is you post an explanation of why you dont think its horror and people instead vote yes or no

just a thought i tossed out might not work in practice

you could also do "watch a horror movie and explain why its actually NOT a horror movie" which would work better

there was a post years ago explaining I Saw The Devil as a black comedy and i thought it was brilliant, stuff like that

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 7, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

NOT HORROR Category where you watch one movie that is not categorized as horror but you explain why it is horrific to you.

Crescent Wrench posted:

"The gates are open."

Although maybe I should sarcastically call this category "Kvlt! Classics" instead.

EDIT: I'd be remiss if I got the punctuation wrong.

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 7, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

only if its Kvlt! classics the exclamation point is important!!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:argh:

Opopanax posted:

Kvlt Klassic

Watch a pure horror movie (no thrillers, sci-fi, etc)

Unappreciated in my time

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Unappreciated in my time

I even had this in my notes with the list of all the suggestions so far. :laffo:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Unappreciated in my time

I appreciate you Opopanax!!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

I appreciate you Opopanax!!

Thank you and I'm sorry I forgot the exclamation mark

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its ok dw were still friends

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just watched Pontypool on a whim and dang, that's an interesting little movie. Just a cool concept done really well, and I always love a one-location movie.

Gonna need someone to explain the post-credits scene though, what the gently caress was that?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

Kramer Vs Kramer

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kramer Vs Kramer

Just because you've never been married...

I can definitely see mileage in having to argue why a horror movie isn't one, particularly if it's treated like the free space on a bingo card - so you can watch anything as long as you're willing to write a few paragraphs of semi-convincing extemporaneous bullshit afterwards.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jedit posted:

I can definitely see mileage in having to argue why a horror movie isn't one, particularly if it's treated like the free space on a bingo card - so you can watch anything as long as you're willing to write a few paragraphs of semi-convincing extemporaneous bullshit afterwards.

ooh thats a great idea actually then the judges can decide whether you pass or fail and get the free bingo space

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

ooh thats a great idea actually then the judges can decide whether you pass or fail and get the free bingo space

That seems like a mechanism to achieve nothing but injecting needless rancor into the thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Oh, I wouldn't really care if it was convincing. Insane troll logic is almost a plus, actually. It's much more entertaining to see someone making the case that The Texas Chain Saw Massacre is a drama in the style of Ken Loach about social issues in rural American communities.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

That seems like a mechanism to achieve nothing but injecting needless rancor into the thread.

it would be submitted to the judges

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked The First Omen fine. It's got better acting/cinematography/costumes/score/, a better cast and production in general, presumably a bigger budget, etc, than Immaculate BUT even (or perhaps especially cuz) with me not having seen any other Omens all the lore/prequel baggage really made it ultimately unfulfilling to me by the time it had finished (I wish it felt more like a self-contained story rather than a set up for the next thing).

That trailer with the fever ray really whips though.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I don't like the idea of one of the challenges being one that's going to spur debate by design. There will inevitably be people who take it too seriously and lead to arguments and I feel like there's good odds of it derailing things more than once.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

it would be submitted to the judges

As much as I'd like to skip right past being the judge and jury and go straight to being the executioner, my modest goals for the challenge are to encourage discovery and discussion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedit posted:

I've been married for six years.

I sleep in a big bed with my wife.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

I don't like the idea of one of the challenges being one that's going to spur debate by design. There will inevitably be people who take it too seriously and lead to arguments and I feel like there's good odds of it derailing things more than once.

My personal approach towards the challenge has been "better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission." I always gave myself credit for any good faith effort to satisfy the challenge (I honestly think the only ever time I just couldn't do it was when IMDB lied to me about the country the film was produced in.) The goal is to see as much new horror as possible, whether it's classics you never got around to, stuff you thought you had no interest, or being dragged out of your comfort zone kicking and screaming. Designing challenges that people have to bend over backwards to justify isn't part of that philosophy. If I do go for a challenge that requires some explanation, it's all in good fun and a film reviewing exercise, not trying to set anyone up to fail. But this is also why I'm tracking all the discussion between now and May to see what people are in the mood for this time around.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i sleep in a big bed with michael myers

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I had another idea for a challenge

You know what to expect
Watch a movie with a ranking either over 8 or under 3 on IMDB.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i sleep on a thin mattress in a room that has nothing else in it but a tv and blu ray player

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I sleep in hell with ghosts
hosed up and went through the flesh wall in Bones, it's a long story

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tell me more about this flesh wall

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This was in either last year's or the year before, I enjoyed the challenge of watching a movie with under 100 reviews on Letterboxd and actually found a movie I ended up loving (Book of Birdie, which still only has 40)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I had another idea for a challenge

You know what to expect
Watch a movie with a ranking either over 8 or under 3 on IMDB.

Watch a movie with a ranking of under 5 stars on IMDB that has over 3 stars on Letterboxd.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Personally I've always felt like serieses should count, but just as one. If someone wants to watch a full season of AHS or whatever that should be ok, but it should count as one movie. That seems like a fair compromise

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
We’ve had discussions about TV seasons counting as one movie as long as I recall the Challenge being a thing. It got nixed it because this isn’t TV/IV and you have to draw a line somewhere.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Life is short imo. I don’t think you do but I also just find genre arguing pretty tedious and don’t really care what anyone talks about here because I’d rather talk about it with this thread than any other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Life is short imo.

its the longest thing youre gonna do!!