Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jellyfish episode 1 was also good. Kinda of a similar vibe to Girls Band Cry but very different as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

Tonari no Youkai-san: Oh cool one of those "wait, I read some scans of this obscure manga years ago and it was fantastic" moments.

Yeah. It was a great manga but scans were dropped for whatever reason. Also it was fairly slow place iirc, but that's the vibe it's going for which is fine. I wanna find out what kind of ayakashi the car faced thing is though.

Have a cucumber horse btw

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Jellyfish ep1 was pretty strong and ended on a good hook. Pretty modern show, everyone so hooked on their smartphones. Lots of egosurfing and googling.
Looking forward to the artist one getting some confidence and just finding a path and seeing the various members improve on their interest and talents together. Liked the halloween costumes.

Along with Astro Note, this season looking good on original shows.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Can't seem to get the hang of the new Bartender anime. The 2006 anime was, apparently, a strange adaptation, but drat the soundtrack was amazing, and without a similar soundtrack it's just... perhaps slightly above average run of the mill anime.

For some anime the overall feel and tone seem to matter much more to me than anything else, and soundtracks are an integral part of that. The later Hellsing OVAs looked great, but the first series had such a memorable OST that I couldn't help but always feel like there was something missing. It'd be like watching Mushishi or Cowboy Bebop with a different soundtrack, or Apothecary Diaries without Aoi Yuki, or Land of the Lustrous without that fascinating combination of 2D/3D. New versions with different music might be objectively good, but those tracks are just not what my brain associates with Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, or in this case Bartender.

It's an unfair comparison, because if you're making a new version you'd probably prefer to try new things rather than following the exact same steps and tone. But Bartender was what got me into trying cocktails, and if a Bartender anime doesn't come with a soundtrack that I'd play while sipping a whiskey, then it's just not hitting the right spot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hope he solves someone's life problems with a jagerbomb

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
the whole show is just him making the trashiest drinks for people

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It turns out that the secret to world peace is an Irish Car Bomb.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Girls Band Cry started off pretty strong. Fun and funny and a lot of heart. I thought the animation quality was a little variable -- sometimes it had that kind of stiff feel that some CG stuff has, but often it was quite impressive to me. They definitely take advantage of a full 3d process and really do some neat stuff with it at times.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 7, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mordja posted:

Hope he solves someone's life problems with a jagerbomb

i solve many of my life's problems with jagerbombs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watched the first ep of Jellyfish, expected great stuff since Doga Kobo is one of my favorite studios in terms of sheer style and was not disappointed. visually gorgeous with some incredible scene direction e.g. a lot of slow panning camera shots during convos, Mahiru's flashbacks intertwining with her in present day, and the sweeping angle shots during Kano's performance. the general plot isn't anything standout especially with Girls Band Cry mirroring it just this season, but it still feels weirdly unique? part of which is probably it being a general artist collective of sorts rather than a band but i think the aforementioned scene direction really makes it stand out too, almost feels cinematic at times. if they can eliminate the cringe fanservice SC mentioned then this is going to give fierce competition to my favorite anime of the season later on

will be checking out Tonaro no Youkai-san tomorrow

e: also watching the end credits of Jellyfish and maybe i'm misreading but did CloverWorks, SHAFT, and ufotable all have guest animators in this? because if so, drat, it shows

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i solve many of my life's problems with jagerbombs

the last time i had jagerbombs they created more problems than they solved

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

skill issue

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

skill issue

no arguments here tbh

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've never had a jagerbomb, I've always had my shots of Jaeger by themselves.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

You can solve those with even more jagerbombs :grin:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

symbolic posted:

e: also watching the end credits of Jellyfish and maybe i'm misreading but did CloverWorks, SHAFT, and ufotable all have guest animators in this? because if so, drat, it shows

you're probably seeing stuff like in-between animation and coloring/painting, studios tend to all work on each others shows on those to even out workloads

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
its done by the same studio that did Oshi no Ko, so they do have a track record on quality, so it isn't out of nowhere either.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Euphonium S3 has begun and the realignment to the LNs is proceeding apace.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vampire Dormitory: what if we made a 90's BL but het - pass

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
passing on both the spy shows.

Mission: Yozakura Family and Fable.

Not interested in the character cast setup of Mission. And I watched the jdorama of Fable and a few chapters of the manga, and the anime is just following the same thing, but what the hell, everything is so dark, I can barely see anything when its night time in the show.

this is the lighting whenever it turns night or they're in a dim room. This is what half the episode looked like.

Picking up Aristocrat with Appraisal isekai, and jumping back on Euphonium

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Jellyfish is the only new thing I've tried so far, a very pretty, very showy premier, and a very direct story about artists getting together and uplifting each other. Its dramatic instincts are a bit juvenile, which leaves me wondering what to expect going forward, and all the ways it's stunning kinda make all the more awkward how fanservicey it is.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 7, 2024

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I hope that someone scrambles to license Girls Band Cry before next week like what happened with Bravern. The clips I've seen look nice, animation sorta reminds me of DreamWorks TV show spinoffs of their movies, oddly enough. Not a bad thing though, I like the character animation.

Looks like Mysterious Disappearances is also not licensed for streaming. Cat yes getting some business this season, perhaps.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

pork never goes bad posted:

Looks like Mysterious Disappearances is also not licensed for streaming.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Episode 1 of Sentai Daishikkaku (Go! Go! Loser Ranger!) was pretty good. I had no idea what it'd be about and it turns out a Putty from Power Rangers Dragon Rangers decides he's sick of losing and takes on human form to infiltrate Rangers academy which is a fun hook.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Wind breaker: great energy, seems like it’ll be pretty straightforward but that’s alright. I liked the way the tightrope scene at the start looked. Think I’ll stick around for this one

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

tonari no youkai-san seems very good

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tales of Woe posted:

Yeah episode 1 was delightful

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

the juxtaposition between the yokai interacting with the small town and setting up the mystery with the void was really interesting, i was kind of vibing with it then the contrast sucked me in. this seems really cool.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

the juxtaposition between the yokai interacting with the small town and setting up the mystery with the void was really interesting, i was kind of vibing with it then the contrast sucked me in. this seems really cool.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. Was not expecting that kind of story beat in the show going in blind, though of course it remains to be seen where they take it. I’m a sucker for a bit of melancholy in summer though. very much down for more

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Episode 1 of Sentai Daishikkaku (Go! Go! Loser Ranger!) was pretty good. I had no idea what it'd be about and it turns out a Putty from Power Rangers Dragon Rangers decides he's sick of losing and takes on human form to infiltrate Rangers academy which is a fun hook.

I hope it can keep it up, because that was a phenomenal first episode.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

I hope it can keep it up, because that was a phenomenal first episode.

i read the first 4ish volumes and thought it was great, very hype for whatever the anime can fit in

it seriously made me question if id missed out by not watching or reading the quintessential quintuplets lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Erg posted:

i read the first 4ish volumes and thought it was great, very hype for whatever the anime can fit in

it seriously made me question if id missed out by not watching or reading the quintessential quintuplets lol

QuintQuints was great and you can tell that the mangaka really worked that sense of mystery from a romcom setting to a more action-y one.

It's a great manga, people should check it out if they don't mind spoiling the anime.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Studio Apartment Angel: Having a cute girl living with you means that you have someone who can cook dishes for you and clean the room while you're away. You just need to buy a drat lock for the bathroom door. I don't like the MC's panicked over-the-top reaction toward nearly every situation, though.

Blue Archive: I used to play this before. Unfortunately, the game eventually got so big I don't have enough memory to store the game anymore. This seems like a faithful adaptation of the game. I even got nostalgic hearing the remixed version of the game's OST. It's just that it skipped the prologue segment, so the story starts at Volume 1. Maybe the prologue is the next episode?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tonari no Youkai-san was the one i listed in my first post as the one i felt like i'd be most likely to drop after watching PVs but after the first ep i don't know if i will. nothing that wowed me but i like the concept and it almost weirdly to me had a western slice-of-life/"show about nothing" vibe? i don't think i can really explain it but the viewer getting thrown into a small-town setting with all these different characters just gave me that feeling. granted the end of the episode kinda veered off from the mundane but in a way that may benefit it. overall, good stuff

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i really like the bureaucracy around being a yokai, it's like some combination of going to the dmv and signing up for classes at community college

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

i really like the bureaucracy around being a yokai, it's like some combination of going to the dmv and signing up for classes at community college

yeah, i also noticed that. really made the world feel lived-in.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

yeah, i also noticed that. really made the world feel lived-in.

yeah that helps with the western slice-of-life vibe i was struggling to explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022