Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Augus posted:

I doubt it, that’d be pretty out-of-character for a warrior of liberation. Nika makes people smile by being a silly dude.
I think the moments where Gear 5 is shown as menacing are mostly to convey that even though this form is cheerful and silly it’s also insanely strong

I’m just thinking, if you lose control of a rhino zoan awakening, okay it charges some people and eventually goes to a field to eat grass, but what happens when you lose control of a god?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, loved the episode though of course they're doing another clip show next week, so no new episode or chapter :smith:

Loved Lucci's eyes widening and then him grinning at seeing Gear 5 before his sudden shock when Luffy is just INSTANTLY in front of him and sends him hurtling with a sudden punch. :hellyeah:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the first third or so of the episode was so sick and insane that i dont even mind that it wasnt in the manga. in fact it reinforces my opinion that if you arent watching the anime this season then you are straight up making a mistake. tune in to the egghead anime folks, you have to do it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, loved the episode though of course they're doing another clip show next week, so no new episode or chapter :smith:

Loved Lucci's eyes widening and then him grinning at seeing Gear 5 before his sudden shock when Luffy is just INSTANTLY in front of him and sends him hurtling with a sudden punch. :hellyeah:

that sequence was unbelievable. i marked out completely

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

that episode was so peak

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Luffy's activation of Gear 5th by beating his chest like a crazy jungle man is such a natural extension of how it should start, that i'll be surprised if Oda doesn't add it from now on.

The buttslap was also just pure gold

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That caught me off guard and was perfect composition, especially with how the music just stopped instantly. Great episode.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Eh, the anime was doing a little too much for a show, you would expect to see something like that in a movie, in a show it just makes the other episodes feel low budget and phoned in

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Episode felt like it was straight out of a 40's cartoon.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
unless youre coming from like a spreading the wealth kind of argument i cannot imagine criticizing something for being too epic LMAO

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

episode is bad because its so good it makes the rest of the anime that much more poo poo in comparison, thus lowering the overall average impression. just simple maths

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
pros: luffy brought the full force of the nine old men down on his foe
cons: thought of boss luffy and died

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gologle posted:

Eh, the anime was doing a little too much for a show, you would expect to see something like that in a movie, in a show it just makes the other episodes feel low budget and phoned in

:goofy:

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
An intellectual property started from a dude’s smoke filled apartment must have the same quality as the multi billion dollar experience it has become from day 1 or it sucks.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its literally in-world canon that gear 5 sequences look better than the rest of the show. its supposed to be shocking

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't wait for the anime to get to the Kuma flashback and followup.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Saturn getting decked better fill up an entire episode

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Saturn getting decked better fill up an entire episode

On the other hand, the associated Five Elders review clip episode is going to be brutal.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

its literally in-world canon that gear 5 sequences look better than the rest of the show. its supposed to be shocking
This episode gave me so many thoughts about Gear 5. I'm becoming a "Luffy is sharing his corporeal form with a god" truther because of the KISS MY rear end sequence

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

This episode gave me so many thoughts about Gear 5. I'm becoming a "Luffy is sharing his corporeal form with a god" truther because of the KISS MY rear end sequence

it reinforced my belief that luffy is a god by simple virtue of having the very specific and exact right personality and perspective in a universe where heartfelt desires literally manifest themselves. i dont think there is a single metaphor in this series

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

it reinforced my belief that luffy is a god by simple virtue of having the very specific and exact right personality and perspective in a universe where heartfelt desires literally manifest themselves. i dont think there is a single metaphor in this series
hell yeah dude

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Paper Lion posted:

[...] if we're taking at face value that zoans have some degree of active will/animus still, then a successful awakening is something akin to like, achieving 100% synchro with it. the awakened zoans in impel down are basically lobotomized because for whatever reason they grasped the power but not the alignment with the fruit and lost themselves. lucci is a sicko fight pervert that likes to hurt people, so hes aligned perfectly with the animus of a leopard. luffy wants to be the most free man in the world and use that freedom to bring liberation to others, so he aligns with the god of freedom perfectly. i would contend hes always been awoken and has only just managed to figure out how to use all the power that entails.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

i like this theory because it implies kaku (who is also awakened)'s gregarious/controlled/observational nature is in synchronisation with a giraffe

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I want to say that the theory is slandering leopards, but they are cats so I'm not sure.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

yeah i think fruits try to "choose" the person best for them and thats why luffy ate the gum gum fruit and shanks was like alright yea lets that poo poo rock

its also why blackbeard's crew chose their specific fruits. all of them align with the people they are:
catarina devon is deeply envious of other characters beauty and has a fruit that lets her appear as other people
pizarro is a a "tyrant king" who has the ability to literally control the land of a country/island
shiryuu is a backstabbing little cretin with no honors or morals
vasco shot is a drunkard etc.

basically, their fruits are all as perfect as they come for their personalities and fighting prowess, which is why i think they'll all be awakened when they fight the strawhats. blackbeard knows how fruits work and went after the ones that would be easiest to learn and power up for his crew.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

anime was right posted:

yeah i think fruits try to "choose" the person best for them and thats why luffy ate the gum gum fruit and shanks was like alright yea lets that poo poo rock

its also why blackbeard's crew chose their specific fruits. all of them align with the people they are:
catarina devon is deeply envious of other characters beauty and has a fruit that lets her appear as other people
pizarro is a a "tyrant king" who has the ability to literally control the land of a country/island
shiryuu is a backstabbing little cretin with no honors or morals
vasco shot is a drunkard etc.

basically, their fruits are all as perfect as they come for their personalities and fighting prowess, which is why i think they'll all be awakened when they fight the strawhats. blackbeard knows how fruits work and went after the ones that would be easiest to learn and power up for his crew.

I guess Sanji was too honorable, all along, to have ever gotten his hands on the Clear Clear Fruit

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That's one of the worst moments for his character. If I were to rewrite that scene, I'd have him say something like he felt some strong sensation when he read the word invisibility, like something deep within him resonated with the concept, which would foreshadow later events.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think having his primary motivation be to keep it out of the wrong hands with a joke that he himself was also tempted to use it would've been acceptable. Having him just go all-in on wanting to misuse it did really hurt his character

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Cat Machine posted:

i like this theory because it implies kaku (who is also awakened)'s gregarious/controlled/observational nature is in synchronisation with a giraffe

Honestly he may be the most in sync with his zoan fruit. The guy won’t shut up about how awesome giraffes are

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Professor Wayne posted:

Honestly he may be the most in sync with his zoan fruit. The guy won’t shut up about how awesome giraffes are

He's right

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's one of the worst moments for his character. If I were to rewrite that scene, I'd have him say something like he felt some strong sensation when he read the word invisibility, like something deep within him resonated with the concept, which would foreshadow later events.

It was the moment Mr. Prince died and was replaced with the Perverted Cook that we've been stuck with for so long.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

hes not lying when he talks about the power of a giraffe. there are numerous documented instances of a lion trying to attack a giraffe, only for a single kick to instantly decapitate the lion. the average human throws a punch at about 180 psi, a giraffe kicks at 2000 psi. horses are already weird hosed up muscle beasts and giraffes are like, horse squared. judging by kakus nose, possibly even cubed

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i would hate to be a giraffe with a sore throat

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Meowywitch posted:

afraid of a sore, that's why kakus not on kaidos crew

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
well yeah it's fulla dino sores

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

yamato...doki doki...

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Meowywitch posted:

You don't know what secrets they hold.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
It's so cool how Skypiea is like a miniature model of the whole series as a whole...it's all One Piece...

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I saw Film Red on Netflix. It was a decent enough anime movie. I liked the mirroring between Uta and Luffy. Of course all the characters had to be there, including all your favorites!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The next One Piece movie will have Saturn also hanging out at whatever party island all the other characters get trapped at by the villain.