Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ClydeFrog posted:

God there better be a sequel.

great writeup

I am still amused that Aixue's name just sounds like Loves Learning. Maybe it actually is that. Very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

silvergoose posted:

great writeup

I am still amused that Aixue's name just sounds like Loves Learning. Maybe it actually is that. Very funny.

Or Loves Snow or Loves Blood :eng101::unsmigghh:

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

branedotorg posted:

i enjoyed Kate Elliott's Unconquered Sun too, space opera version of Alexander the great

I was looking forward to these, and, must admit, didn't really get on with the first one. Thought it was a bit flat, didn't excite me. Which, considering the author and the pedigree is weird, but what can you do?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds. Thoroughly enjoyed it. As a blue collar shift worker myself, I was very sympathetic to the “most bullshit possible shift imaginable” premise for the crew of the Rockhopper.

(full book spoilers) I don’t think they ever fully explained the “Cutoff” as far as the Fountainhead aliens metering future (past) human tech to the stranded Rockhopper crew. It was established that it’s very improbable the Fountainheads would have encountered only one of the Thai ships, if they encountered any at all. It was also speculated that intelligence is very rare, and that two star-faring races would never exist in our galaxy simultaneously (hence the “Spican” Structure they occupy at end of book, as a means to facilitate contact at the end of time and space). I also remember a throwaway line from Ryan Axford pointing out that the Fountainheads’ description of their (past) galactic empire closely matched Chromis’ description of the Congress of the Lindblad Ring. Also, one of the competing ideas to commemorate 10,000 years of human hegemony was a “Fountain” project. I guess we are meant to assume the Fountainheads are highly evolved humans?

Also, I would totally read a Cosmic Avenger sequel about Svetlana et al. larping Star Trek at the end of time.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Galactic North by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819VGW5P/

Wireless by Charles Stross - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AU7MEK/

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Harold Fjord posted:

I just finished the dark profit trilogy.

After reading exodia my brain was feeling very burnt out and this seemed nice and light.

It is, but it is also unexpectedly poignant regarding economics,politics, racism , and fascism.

Good metaphor, good puns, good books

Same actually.

Well, I also read Legends and Lattes and then the Dark Profit trilogy as palate cleansers after Exordia. Fully agree with this synopsis.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Same actually.

Well, I also read Legends and Lattes and then the Dark Profit trilogy as palate cleansers after Exordia. Fully agree with this synopsis.
Oh that’s why I went full-bore Christopher Moore a couple of months ago. Forgot to mention that Noir and Razzmatazz are a lotta fun, and include some well-done SF history.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Remulak posted:

Oh that’s why I went full-bore Christopher Moore a couple of months ago. Forgot to mention that Noir and Razzmatazz are a lotta fun, and include some well-done SF history.

Christoper Moore is an awesome author. Lamb is one of my all-time favorite books. 10/10 would do kung-fu with Jesus again

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I'm now reading some Star Wars. Alphabet Squadron is a trilogy about a former Tie Fighter pilot turned New Republic analyst and I'm about to start the second book.

It's got some rather interesting ideas hidden in there about how existing in a background of awfulness inevitably effects the best of intentions so, you join the Empire with the idea that this is the only way out but can you help take it down from within? and what happens when the overwhelming omnipresence of facism in fact changes you into the kind of person you wanted to fight against.

Yrica Quell is the ex-empire pilot leading 4 others overseen by a very brittle intelligence analyst who may as well have a label that says "loose cannon obsessive" slapped across his forehead.

I'm pleased to see there is no sense at all of "both sidesing" things or "the Empire had some good ideas" apart from its use for Empire POV. You are definitely meant to be repulsed. There is a real advantage to writing within such a well-established milieu which allows for allusions aplenty that the reader implicity understands. There are however lots of shades of grey within individual characters that allow for interesting dynamics. Yes you can be a rebel and a twat and you can also be an empire foot soldier wondering how the gently caress you got here and how do you get away from it, but I hope these ideas are developed rather than just floated briefly to make minor characters seem more relatable to the reader. Stories that do this well succeed in making the reader ponder how they would act in this situation and the struggle between what you know you should do and what you feel you can do can be really effective. This is something that Andor did at a far superior level but I could definitely see this trilogy working as a 10 episode series (ok, this is mainly because I do love an X-wing v Tie dogfight).

After Exordia this is not a palate cleanser as such (because I do not wish to have anything cleansed thank you very much) but it is written well enough and doesn't demand very much from me to enjoy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ClydeFrog posted:

I'm now reading some Star Wars. Alphabet Squadron is a trilogy about a former Tie Fighter pilot turned New Republic analyst and I'm about to start the second book.

It's got some rather interesting ideas hidden in there about how existing in a background of awfulness inevitably effects the best of intentions so, you join the Empire with the idea that this is the only way out but can you help take it down from within? and what happens when the overwhelming omnipresence of facism in fact changes you into the kind of person you wanted to fight against.

Yrica Quell is the ex-empire pilot leading 4 others overseen by a very brittle intelligence analyst who may as well have a label that says "loose cannon obsessive" slapped across his forehead.

I'm pleased to see there is no sense at all of "both sidesing" things or "the Empire had some good ideas" apart from its use for Empire POV. You are definitely meant to be repulsed. There is a real advantage to writing within such a well-established milieu which allows for allusions aplenty that the reader implicity understands. There are however lots of shades of grey within individual characters that allow for interesting dynamics. Yes you can be a rebel and a twat and you can also be an empire foot soldier wondering how the gently caress you got here and how do you get away from it, but I hope these ideas are developed rather than just floated briefly to make minor characters seem more relatable to the reader. Stories that do this well succeed in making the reader ponder how they would act in this situation and the struggle between what you know you should do and what you feel you can do can be really effective. This is something that Andor did at a far superior level but I could definitely see this trilogy working as a 10 episode series (ok, this is mainly because I do love an X-wing v Tie dogfight).

After Exordia this is not a palate cleanser as such (because I do not wish to have anything cleansed thank you very much) but it is written well enough and doesn't demand very much from me to enjoy.

I like how they add in a (book 2/3 spoilers) "noble Imperial pilot with honor flying to defend his peers" and he's still a collosal rear end in a top hat instead of being a secret good guy.

E: added spoilers, missed where you were in the series.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lead out in cuffs posted:

palate cleansers after Exordia

General Battuta should put some recommendations for nice light follow-ups, in the afterword or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A review of what's probably the first actual fantasy novel in its modern form - from the 1830s.

https://paperback-picnic.ghost.io/phantasmion-the-first-fantasy-novel/?ref=paperback-picnic-newsletter

Phatasmion sounds like a decent novel with the first actual worldbuilding for an imaginary land.

e.

Subjunctive posted:

General Battuta should put some recommendations for nice light follow-ups, in the afterword or something.

"Almost anything"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
When coming down off this book here's a list of lighter titles to act as a balm for your mind:

The Wasp Factory,
The God of Small Things,
etc.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Max Gladstone's latest in the Craft Sequence, Wicked Problems, came out today. I've got a pile of other books I want to get through but I'll be adding this high up in the pile.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Omg there’s another Garth Marenghi book and it’s on sale today. https://www.amazon.com/Garth-Marenghis-Incarcerat-TERRORTOME-BESTSELLER-ebook/dp/B0CSYZ8TVS

Dare I buy it? :thunk:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Red Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L5PTZS/

Evil for Evil (Engineer #2) by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002B9MHPO/

Martian Time-Slip by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006R8PD4C/

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Max Gladstone's latest in the Craft Sequence, Wicked Problems, came out today. I've got a pile of other books I want to get through but I'll be adding this high up in the pile.

Book is well named, having a new book you really want to read on top of a pile of new books is indeed a set of wicked problems

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'm the lucky ducky who got sick today and took the afternoon off and gets to read more of Wicked Problems than expected. For real, actually sick, so not entirely lucky.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Stuporstar posted:

Omg there’s another Garth Marenghi book and it’s on sale today. https://www.amazon.com/Garth-Marenghis-Incarcerat-TERRORTOME-BESTSELLER-ebook/dp/B0CSYZ8TVS

Dare I buy it? :thunk:

Book 1, TerrorTome is on sale https://www.amazon.com/Garth-Mareng...ps%2C104&sr=8-1

I'm phone posting so sorry about the url junk.
E jfc that's what you were saying my brain is just a puddle today sorry

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

StumblyWumbly posted:

Book 1, TerrorTome is on sale https://www.amazon.com/Garth-Mareng...ps%2C104&sr=8-1

If you want smaller URLs you can just click this:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

Book 1, TerrorTome is on sale https://www.amazon.com/Garth-Marenghis-TerrorTome-Dreamweaver-bestseller-ebook/dp/B0BCVJPPXC

The one I linked is book 2, which I didn’t even know was a thing until today. I already got book 1 (it’s cool they’re both on sale today though). It was terrible in all the best ways, like a cross between Cronenburg and John Waters as written by Dean Koontz, but I’m wondering if it’s gonna feel a little played out in the 2nd or somehow top the first one

I suppose $1.99 is worth the risk lol

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 10, 2024

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sometimes they really do take the piss with pricing, here's this in precisely reverse order

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What are people's experiences with Django Wexler? His next work captured my attention because it's going to feature fighter planes and airships.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D157Z6KS

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

FPyat posted:

What are people's experiences with Django Wexler? His next work captured my attention because it's going to feature fighter planes and airships.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D157Z6KS

Loves lesbian characters

I didn't mind the thousand names (shadow something) series, sort of Napoleonic/french revolution campaigns with magic.

It was a bit variable but a decent read overall.

Nothing else I've read I particularly liked, hard reboot was a ya thing about mech Gladiator pilots - the synopsis sounds better than it was imo.

Wells of sorcery had an interesting premise but I only read the first one and was whelmed.
Stratified society, girl has outlawed magic, caught and made to try and steal a legendary magic ship, sort of a flying Dutchman meets an oil tanker full of mutants.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

My bestie went to a live reading of Terrortome and he stayed in character for an entire Q&A session afterwards.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Good to hear, I need a new audiobook shortly.

Currently listening to The Tainted Cup and it's great. Holmes and Watson style mystery set in a fantasy world that's under constant threat from some kind of bug kaijus. Narration is very good too.

Only sad thing about the book is that it is obvious what the kaijus are.
Bennett is not that innovative based on his other series.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

HopperUK posted:

My bestie went to a live reading of Terrortome and he stayed in character for an entire Q&A session afterwards.

I’m considering getting the audiobooks as well, even though I normally can’t pay attention to audiobooks, as well as Philomena Cunk book, cause it’s gotta be even better than just reading them

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Groke posted:

Greg Egan[...], I love that.

HopperUK posted:

I went to one of his shows for Terrortome and it was great. There's something special about seeing the master in a city that played host to one of his most terrifying works. He had a little tape setup he'd hold up to the mic to play us spooky music. When he opened it up to questions someone very crudely tried to ask him about subtext to bait out the one line, but his response was good. Shame I've forgotten everything about it, due to the sheer mind-rending horror of the event.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

HopperUK posted:

https://play.acast.com/s/offmenu/ep-212-garth-marenghi

(spotify, apple podcats etc too) Mathew Holness has been utterly consumed by his creation, just like how Steve Coogan overcame Alan Partridge

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mllaneza posted:

Phatasmion sounds like a decent novel with the first actual worldbuilding for an imaginary land.
Gulliver's Travels. The distinction the essayist is making "the first novel that takes place entirely in an imaginary world". The first worldbuilding for an imaginary land in an English novel is Gulliver's Travels. The Houyhnhnms are whole-cloth.

I finished Hell Bent, the second in Leigh Bardugo's Ninth House ("dark academia") books. It's gripping, the characters actually develop and change -- not always for the good -- the stakes are much higher, and the heroine, bless her, is just as flawed as ever. And she knows it.

Two things that irritate me about the series:

1. The architecture of Yale and the neighborhoods of New Haven and suburbs are meticulously described. The heroine's courses are ... over there somewhere. We constantly see her skipping important essays or studying because she has to fight horror, but there are never any consequences on the academic side. We are also asked to believe that an avid reader who is a high-school dropout can keep Bs and Cs as an English major at Yale. The problem is that she's never been taught to write a literature analysis paper; reading isn't good enough. It's a fantasy novel, shut up Arsenic.

2. The heroine is considerably more powerful by the end of Book 2, and I worry that this will continue through Book 3. It is hard for a writer to ramp up the challenges as convincingly as they ramp up the superpowers.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
General Batuta has someone told you about the relation between the zeros of the zeta function and eigenvalues of random unitary matrices?

https://kasmana.people.cofc.edu/MATHFICT/mfview.php?callnumber=mf1643

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Probably but not in a way I understand

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I love this thread.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

fez_machine posted:

General Batuta has someone told you about the relation between the zeros of the zeta function and eigenvalues of random unitary matrices?

https://kasmana.people.cofc.edu/MATHFICT/mfview.php?callnumber=mf1643

It sounds cool, is there an explanation for somebody whose level of understanding is "I took calculus a while ago, can still remember how to use the power rule, and I know very generally what a vector and matrix are." I happen to know a little more than that about stats, but not in a formal mathematical sense.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Danhenge posted:

It sounds cool, is there an explanation for somebody whose level of understanding is "I took calculus a while ago, can still remember how to use the power rule, and I know very generally what a vector and matrix are." I happen to know a little more than that about stats, but not in a formal mathematical sense.

It's quora, but I vaguely recall this being roughly the thing.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-c...%20zeros%20have

There's a note at the bottom about its uses in matrix theory.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Danhenge posted:

Take a bunch of zeros of the zeta function, and then compute all of the distances between all of these pairs of zeros (so if you have N zeros, you get roughly N^2 distances), and then plot those distances on a histogram. Do the same thing with the eigenvalues of a large random matrix. The histograms will look very similar (modulo some scaling factors). This was first noticed by Montgomery and Dyson in a chance meeting at Princeton, a story which you can read about on page 5 of this note (in italics): https://cims.nyu.edu/~bourgade/papers/TeaTime.pdf

The connection between the two areas is not well understood. Mostly, anything you can prove is due to the fact that you can compute things for the zeta function, and compute similar quantities for random matrices, and then they happen to be the same.

The general hope is that the zeta function is hard, and random matrices are "easy" and so you should be able to use the latter to understand the former.

Source: I'm a random matrix theorist.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You are a much better source lol

Sweet stuff

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm good at a variety of engineering math ranging from Fourier to Bayes to complexity, and eigenvalues have always made me irrationally angry, partly because of stuff like that. I can't tell if it means something, or if it is the mathematical equivalent of 2 people wearing the same outfit to a party.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"eigenvalues make me irrationally angry" sounds like a line that could have been lifted directly from Exordia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

prokaryote posted:

Take a bunch of zeros of the zeta function, and then compute all of the distances between all of these pairs of zeros (so if you have N zeros, you get roughly N^2 distances), and then plot those distances on a histogram. Do the same thing with the eigenvalues of a large random matrix. The histograms will look very similar (modulo some scaling factors). This was first noticed by Montgomery and Dyson in a chance meeting at Princeton, a story which you can read about on page 5 of this note (in italics): https://cims.nyu.edu/~bourgade/papers/TeaTime.pdf

The connection between the two areas is not well understood. Mostly, anything you can prove is due to the fact that you can compute things for the zeta function, and compute similar quantities for random matrices, and then they happen to be the same.

The general hope is that the zeta function is hard, and random matrices are "easy" and so you should be able to use the latter to understand the former.

Source: I'm a random matrix theorist.

I can generally see why that would be interesting to mathematicians without really understanding it.

Final question - in what sense are the matrices "random"? Their dimensions, the values they contain, something more arcane?