Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rinkles posted:

been curious about this since i learned about it. also how i realized she was related to snk's other athena.

i like it but it's a game that very much exists in the space of a weird attempt at a big console game they had no idea what to do with. for some reason they decided to have the guys who made blazing star develop it and i'm pretty sure they got caught in some weird zone between mandates on what the game needed to have and the cg team being separate people cause the cg cutscenes are comically bad compared to the actual game parts and the actual game parts are reasonably designed until you get like halfway through and it all suddenly gets dramatically worse. really love the ost though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGPTYC9RKQc

i think it's a great game if you're someone who likes weird cult beloved fighting game characters and seeing what weird original stuff they get. it's a tier above death by degrees, in the bad solo focus fighting game spinoff game zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Athena's name is magic

Mystery... is what you see

Her crystal is the answer

fighting fair

to keep us free

She's just a little girl with power inside

burning bright

You'd better hide if you are bad...

she'll get you

She'll read your mind and find if

you believe in right or wrong!

"Fire," "Fire..." Psycho Soldier

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Colonel posted:

i like it but it's a game that very much exists in the space of a weird attempt at a big console game they had no idea what to do with. for some reason they decided to have the guys who made blazing star develop it and i'm pretty sure they got caught in some weird zone between mandates on what the game needed to have and the cg team being separate people cause the cg cutscenes are comically bad compared to the actual game parts and the actual game parts are reasonably designed until you get like halfway through and it all suddenly gets dramatically worse. really love the ost though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGPTYC9RKQc

i think it's a great game if you're someone who likes weird cult beloved fighting game characters and seeing what weird original stuff they get. it's a tier above death by degrees, in the bad solo focus fighting game spinoff game zone

The music is actually how I found out about it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Athena's name is magic

Mystery... is what you see

Her crystal is the answer

fighting fair

to keep us free

She's just a little girl with power inside

burning bright

You'd better hide if you are bad...

she'll get you

She'll read your mind and find if

you believe in right or wrong!

サイコボールが

放ち

アテナの姿
照らし
出すよ

サイコパワーを
心に
秘めて

果てしない道を
走る

今はもう青空見えないけど

ファイア
ファイア
サイコソルジャー!
ファイア
ファイア
サイコソルジャー

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Got absolutely flattened by a very early boss in Time Break Chronicles. I have to stop playing while half asleep.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I'm glad that people pointed out the beta branch thing with Chrono Ark; I did the non-true ending a few days ago on the main branch and was bummed to have to wait a few more weeks. It's a good game and it nailed the ending.

Though I'm glad that I'd done a bunch of the golden friendship scenes already, because needing five more of them is way less daunting than still needing (cast-4). Shouldn't take me much longer.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

not sure what people are talking about, Chrono Ark's had the true ending on the main branch for a while now

that's the one where you decide to set up paradise for all of your AI friends instead of following the plan of the Worst Guy Who Has Been Wrong At Every Turn and genociding them all because they don't "count", right

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think the menu-ing in Emerald Beyond is ultimately a turn-off for me. It's just too archaic for how much you spend there and slow.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Nick Buntline posted:

not sure what people are talking about, Chrono Ark's had the true ending on the main branch for a while now

that's the one where you decide to set up paradise for all of your AI friends instead of following the plan of the Worst Guy Who Has Been Wrong At Every Turn and genociding them all because they don't "count", right

I feel like the true ending story had a pretty good answer to that. Especially with the touch of how the party that takes down the Master isn't "waking up" with complete continuity of their memories, because they all got wiped from existence. At most, they're recent back-ups. Puts their money where their mouths are on the whole "better to die than to let all the death mean nothing" aspect of it.

Also it's funny to hear "the Worst Guy Who Has Been Wrong At Every Turn" when the Master and the mini-Master are the other co-champions of that title. :v:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Tae posted:

I think the menu-ing in Emerald Beyond is ultimately a turn-off for me. It's just too archaic for how much you spend there and slow.

You mean in general or on the switch? I mean, I feel you either way, but on the switch it was so much worse than steam, made worse by the scenario and having to go up and down the skislope menu the whole time

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Einander posted:

I feel like the true ending story had a pretty good answer to that. Especially with the touch of how the party that takes down the Master isn't "waking up" with complete continuity of their memories, because they all got wiped from existence. At most, they're recent back-ups. Puts their money where their mouths are on the whole "better to die than to let all the death mean nothing" aspect of it.

Also it's funny to hear "the Worst Guy Who Has Been Wrong At Every Turn" when the Master and the mini-Master are the other co-champions of that title. :v:

The Program Master is sort of a weird plot device that I'm hesitant to make judgements about (admittedly partly because with the complete erasure of the murder-mystery side story I'm not sure I have an accurate idea of what actions it even took, let alone its culpability for them), but I'm pretty comfortable saying Azar is nowhere near challenging Clyne for that title. The game's pretty explicitly clear that from the very beginning Clyne was a sociopath who cared about nothing but his abstract idea of "humanity" surviving, and was making terrible awful decisions accordingly before anyone else even realized what was going on. I'm not sure if the parts where he was implied to be directly/indirectly responsible for the apocalypse in the first place are still in canon (IIRC the game was vague on the cause but did indicate that there was shady poo poo going on with the cryogenics research that could be connected to it), but like Clyne's original plan for the simulation was "the poor people will play VR Minecraft in survival mode for several hundred years to prepare them for backbreaking servitude when we're revived, the rich people who donated to me will spend the time being literal gods you have to pray to for relief to prepare them for their natural position as your leaders they will take in the capitalistic society I will somehow justify creating". Azar making some immediate bad calls when he learns about how thoroughly hosed up things really are doesn't compare, IMO.

And I definitely do get and agree with how the party deciding to die anyway to save humanity, but of their own conscious self-sacrificing choice rather than Clyne's deception, fits the story, and is probably a better way of carrying on Azar's will than what his actual plan was. But they're also 100% justified to look at Clyne's logic and go "doesn't this also mean we'd be justified to sacrifice human civilization to save our own" and just gently caress off to their own paradise for however long until their hardware eventually breaks down (which is probably longer than humanity would have survived with Clyne in charge, lol).

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Nick Buntline posted:

The Program Master is sort of a weird plot device that I'm hesitant to make judgements about (admittedly partly because with the complete erasure of the murder-mystery side story I'm not sure I have an accurate idea of what actions it even took, let alone its culpability for them), but I'm pretty comfortable saying Azar is nowhere near challenging Clyne for that title. The game's pretty explicitly clear that from the very beginning Clyne was a sociopath who cared about nothing but his abstract idea of "humanity" surviving, and was making terrible awful decisions accordingly before anyone else even realized what was going on. I'm not sure if the parts where he was implied to be directly/indirectly responsible for the apocalypse in the first place are still in canon (IIRC the game was vague on the cause but did indicate that there was shady poo poo going on with the cryogenics research that could be connected to it), but like Clyne's original plan for the simulation was "the poor people will play VR Minecraft in survival mode for several hundred years to prepare them for backbreaking servitude when we're revived, the rich people who donated to me will spend the time being literal gods you have to pray to for relief to prepare them for their natural position as your leaders they will take in the capitalistic society I will somehow justify creating". Azar making some immediate bad calls when he learns about how thoroughly hosed up things really are doesn't compare, IMO.

And I definitely do get and agree with how the party deciding to die anyway to save humanity, but of their own conscious self-sacrificing choice rather than Clyne's deception, fits the story, and is probably a better way of carrying on Azar's will than what his actual plan was. But they're also 100% justified to look at Clyne's logic and go "doesn't this also mean we'd be justified to sacrifice human civilization to save our own" and just gently caress off to their own paradise for however long until their hardware eventually breaks down (which is probably longer than humanity would have survived with Clyne in charge, lol).

(Talking Chrono Ark endgame stuff)

The Program Master took over after the betrayer talked Chiyo into starting a vote for the Program Master. He created a clone of himself to take his place going forward, then created the whole Time Shades-Clocktower-Investigation Team plot and started the central time loop using the existing time loop mechanics and the dummied-out video game backbone of the simulation, turning Clyne into the Forgotten King and Lucy into the Girl of Prophecy in the process. Lucy explicitly keeps her subconscious memories between loops and that's deliberate, while everyone else having dreams of their past seems questionably intended. The Master talks about wanting the people of the loop to "overcome destiny" or the like, so maybe they also retain some memories in the same way? Presumably those memories are just weaker because they're not being stressed and tested the way Lucy is.

The shady poo poo with the cryonics is basically restricted to "the Ark was always the plan and the main cryonics guy was in on it, and as a result they lied to everyone about exactly how the machines worked," as far as I can tell. No real reason to think it has anything to do with the apocalypse.

The part about the class divide is wrong, though, because there's no indicator that the Research Team is anything but the Research Team. "Beatrix" explicitly stole a wealthy and powerful person's identity to get on the Ark and was validated as that person, and she's part of the normal group. (It mentions her breaking in to take an Artifact that makes food for the researchers. Wouldn't need to do that if she was eating at their cafeteria.) Clyne is making people work because, as he points out, they'll be returning to a destroyed world once they wake up. If they can't learn how to do the work ahead of them in a safer, softer version of the world where they can't suffer death or permanent injury, then the future is SOL. The Research Team is just a group of people maintaining the simulation and working on any necessary changes to it, not a group of donors living it up.

Azar Prime and Azar definitely challenge Clyne for that title. Azar is angry that Clyne lied about what the Ark is and that all of the digital copies are created to die for humanity, then he creates a digital clone of himself who he acknowledges only as a tool and threatens with pain and deletion until he's willing to do what he wants. He talks about wanting the people of the Ark to "overcome destiny," then implants them with memories of 80 years of searching futilely for Time Shades until the Girl of Prophecy shows up to guide them. Making Lucy kill her dad for hundreds of years is its own special kind of messed up. And I'm not sure I can trust his idea of "paradise" when everyone in the loop world is unhappy even as their "ideal self," except maybe Miss Chains. (And Phoenix, but Azar didn't touch her memories.)

Clyne makes mistakes, but he makes them because he means well. Azar doesn't really have that excuse.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
No idea feel like I need to play this game to find out what's worth the paragraphs of spoiler text.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Chrono Ark is a good one! It about nailed the part of the roguelike formula where your primary growth is in skill and understanding of the game, rather than anything granted to you by the metaprogression. Story's good too, and much better than I'm used to seeing in the roguelike/roguelite space.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
can we change thread title to saga ermald beyond is out when its out

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

maybe there's been some update to Colony Ship that can be advertised

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Einander posted:

Chrono Ark is a good one! It about nailed the part of the roguelike formula where your primary growth is in skill and understanding of the game, rather than anything granted to you by the metaprogression. Story's good too, and much better than I'm used to seeing in the roguelike/roguelite space.

Yeah agreed. I bought it back when it first hit EA and had none of this story stuff and still thought I got my moneys worth. And then they added all the story logs and was hooked all over again.

The soundtrack is also next level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

RPG Thread 2024: The Year Of Robots With Accents.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah agreed. I bought it back when it first hit EA and had none of this story stuff and still thought I got my moneys worth. And then they added all the story logs and was hooked all over again.

The soundtrack is also next level.

yeah the soundtrack kicks rear end as well. very varied as well, ranging from slow melancholy piano stuff to... whatever this banger is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0roEmSlcXgw

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i love chrono ark but been waiting for the final release to play it some more, good to see i won't have to wait much longer

there is a healer who uses a whip

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I've also been waiting for final release. Although my favorite healer is to just go all-in on attack Pressel.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ive been loving the one who gets benefits for having less cards in hand, one of her rare skills is drawing a card whenever you have less than 5 and its just insane

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Not sure if he's still OP but when Ilya was first added he was completely absurd.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I've never heard of Chrono Ark, but man it looks cool though. Gonna have to give it a try next time it hits a sale!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1764280/Dungeons_of_the_Amber_Griffin/

Is the demo for this any good?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah either report a post to request a new thread title or send one of us a PM.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ha ha, yes! yes!
i won't have to look at this subtitle anymore!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im Alphadia Neo itkind of bums me out everyone in the Strudel Kingdom and the Sereal Kingdom get fun pun names but then the villain faction is all boring fantasy stuff with no theme.

Ive also done an inordinate amount of fishing because fishing is stupid difficult until you grind out the low level content to finally get your first actual upgrade and then in the same amount of time Ive gotten all the fishing upgrades and bought multiple massive permanent buffs to my party.

The story is stupid but its passable stupid unlike Alphadia Genesis 2 but what I seriously want to know who on the staff thought "Ok so what if Lieutenant Data was a young pre-teen girl and she along with some key terms was the only connective tissue in this trilogy"

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SaGa Emeril Beyond

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

SaGa Emeril Beyond

Now this Id play

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Countblanc posted:

My Life As A King has a lot of those elements. The major gameplay loop is sending adventurers off on behests.

omfg ive been wondering what that game was i played on wii in 2008 was.

thanks so much, i've already lost 5 hours into it
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles:_My_Life_as_a_King

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Wii really had a bunch of random low budget titles that could use a minimal remastered port and released at a low price for the switch

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Remastered and Dewaggled Editions.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of graces... f... remastered... p, please... *cough*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the duality of bandai namco creating high effort remakes of beloved cult classics like klonoa and mr driller while killing all of their successful decades long running franchises

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
That reminds me, need to pickup the Baten Kaito remasters

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The Colonel posted:

the duality of bandai namco creating high effort remakes of beloved cult classics like klonoa and mr driller while killing all of their successful decades long running franchises

Thoughts on Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King? Ever played it?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

The Colonel posted:

tales of graces... f... remastered... p, please... *cough*

the disc drive motor in my ps3 finally croaked help us out here bamco

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Joey McChrist posted:

the disc drive motor in my ps3 finally croaked help us out here bamco

They still wont let me buy Tales of Beseria on steam in Japan, so I think its time to buy another PS3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barreft posted:

Thoughts on Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King? Ever played it?

why are you asking me