Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My $16 travel router / MIPS dev box is up and running. I added a $13 64GB microSD card for more storage. It has 128MB of RAM, which is enough to run real software like compilers.

Power draw is 1.5W with the wifi off.

code:
536 ~$ ssh root@192.168.1.248
root@192.168.1.248's password: 

BusyBox v1.36.1 (2023-10-09 21:45:35 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt 23.05.0, r23497-6637af95aa
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/version 
Linux version 5.15.134 (ryan@rockpro64) (mips-openwrt-linux-musl-gcc (OpenWrt GCC 12.3.0
 r23497-6637af95aa) 12.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.40.0) #0 Mon Oct 9 21:45:35 2023
root@OpenWrt:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 6.0M      6.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    59.5M     68.0K     59.5M   0% /tmp
/dev/sda1                59.7G    918.9M     58.8G   2% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       59.7G    918.9M     58.8G   2% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
root@OpenWrt:~# gcc -x c -o yospos - && ./yospos | perl cowsay
#include <stdio.h>
int main(){ return 0 > puts("turn on your monitor"); }

\  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||
root@OpenWrt:~# python
Python 3.11.6 (main, Oct  9 2023, 21:45:35) [GCC 12.3.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> 
root@OpenWrt:~# 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

for all of those in here that had a bone to pick with dnf, it seems like dnf 5 will go into fedora 41

FESCo Approves The Fedora 41 Switch To DNF5

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Tankakern posted:

for all of those in here that had a bone to pick with dnf, it seems like dnf 5 will go into fedora 41

I’m the nerd slap fight in the comments over the distinction between included and installed by default

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

rewriting a package manager in c++ in 2024 seems such a weird move. as far as i understand a vm optimization thing to avoid a python install, because it for sure can't be *there* they have performance issues.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why not? package managers do a lot of dependency resolution work

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

can you really call that "work"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

why not? package managers do a lot of dependency resolution work

but it'd be seriously idiotic to try to speed that up by rewriting the whole thing in c++, it is a single np-complete problem nesting in the middle of it, constant speedups is not really what you need.

for one i'd trust a high-level code-base more to do a good ad-hoc smt solver, but really, if you're worried about it you should just pull in z3, because unless you're spending tens of millions on the rewrite you're not going to beat z3.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ryanrs posted:

My $16 travel router / MIPS dev box is up and running. I added a $13 64GB microSD card for more storage. It has 128MB of RAM, which is enough to run real software like compilers.

Power draw is 1.5W with the wifi off.

code:
536 ~$ ssh root@192.168.1.248
root@192.168.1.248's password: 

BusyBox v1.36.1 (2023-10-09 21:45:35 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 OpenWrt 23.05.0, r23497-6637af95aa
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/version 
Linux version 5.15.134 (ryan@rockpro64) (mips-openwrt-linux-musl-gcc (OpenWrt GCC 12.3.0
 r23497-6637af95aa) 12.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.40.0) #0 Mon Oct 9 21:45:35 2023
root@OpenWrt:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 6.0M      6.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    59.5M     68.0K     59.5M   0% /tmp
/dev/sda1                59.7G    918.9M     58.8G   2% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       59.7G    918.9M     58.8G   2% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
root@OpenWrt:~# gcc -x c -o yospos - && ./yospos | perl cowsay
#include <stdio.h>
int main(){ return 0 > puts("turn on your monitor"); }

\  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||
root@OpenWrt:~# python
Python 3.11.6 (main, Oct  9 2023, 21:45:35) [GCC 12.3.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> 
root@OpenWrt:~# 

do you feel you have achieved wireless freedom

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but it'd be seriously idiotic to try to speed that up by rewriting the whole thing in c++, it is a single np-complete problem nesting in the middle of it, constant speedups is not really what you need.

for one i'd trust a high-level code-base more to do a good ad-hoc smt solver, but really, if you're worried about it you should just pull in z3, because unless you're spending tens of millions on the rewrite you're not going to beat z3.

:rolleyes:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

doing a check they're in fact not quite that dumb and both old and new dnf depend on libsolv for sat solving

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tankakern posted:

huh, i wonder if clear will switch too. it's not based on fedora, and swupd is the officially sanctioned package manager, but it's not very granular at all. intel has their own rpm repos set up, so at the very least i doubt that compatibility is going away

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also even though i sometimes run it on relatively garbage hardware i've never had any complaints about the speed of dnf (swupd is faster, but again you don't get as much control over what gets installed)

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

dnf is just a package manager built on bad advice. do not gently caress? who does it think it is???

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

debian is good because apt/dokg are good and more importantly pretty easy to use for new users

fun fact: the .deb file-format has a size limit of about 10GB for any package, which comes from the choice of ar as the top-level container. Maintainers show zero interest in fixing this.

10GB was probably unthinkably huge in 1995 but in TYOOL 2024 it's really not all that big. I ran into it a few times when trying to package some commercial toolchains for internal company use.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Poopernickel posted:

fun fact: the .deb file-format has a size limit of about 10GB for any package, which comes from the choice of ar as the top-level container. Maintainers show zero interest in fixing this.

10GB was probably unthinkably huge in 1995 but in TYOOL 2024 it's really not all that big. I ran into it a few times when trying to package some commercial toolchains for internal company use.

huh, i didn't know that. them using extra compression on top of ar (which, lets face it, is not a compression format) doesn't change anything?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

huh, i didn't know that. them using extra compression on top of ar (which, lets face it, is not a compression format) doesn't change anything?

That 10GB number is the the maximum compressed size of the data.tar.gz/xz member. It's a limitation of ar, which has a 10-character string field for the base-10 size of an archive member.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Poopernickel posted:

That 10GB number is the the maximum compressed size of the data.tar.gz/xz member. It's a limitation of ar, which has a 10-character string field for the base-10 size of an archive member.

hmm interesting. i suppose that could be worked around by making separate debs for whatever huge thing you need installed (e.g. for your toolchain i guess you could break it up into the compiler itself, then i guess emulator? data, etc.)

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

New format: "V2" + 64-bit int = 10 bytes.

gently caress bcd

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

hmm interesting. i suppose that could be worked around by making separate debs for whatever huge thing you need installed (e.g. for your toolchain i guess you could break it up into the compiler itself, then i guess emulator? data, etc.)

Hypothetically yes. I decided it was too hard, and not worth the benefit.

I was trying to package an FPGA toolchain that has a 20GB install surface. Mailing-list advice was to make a top-level .deb with dependencies on smaller .debs. I would have needed to just grab random files until a .deb was filled, and then do that a few more times. Not very easy to automate, and also kind of yucky from a design perspective.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

ryanrs posted:

New format: "V2" + 64-bit int = 10 bytes.

gently caress bcd

yes, that would probably work. It would also break ar compatibility. Some people recommended options like that. Other people recommended having a data-1.tar.xz, data-2.tar.xz, etc kind of split instead of having a single data.tar.xz ar member. That would be more backwards-compatible.

Ultimately the maintainers said "fuckit yolo, #WONTFIX"

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 9, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
eh i would've just packaged it in a compression format that can support an archive that large (...probably would've been xz, not now though lol) and then had it extract to the proper directories and add whatever config files were needed with a script or something

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Beeftweeter posted:

eh i would've just packaged it in a compression format that can support an archive that large (...probably would've been xz, not now though lol) and then had it extract to the proper directories and add whatever config files were needed with a script or something

debian: the best way to use our package-manager is "don't"

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 9, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Poopernickel posted:

debian: the best way to use our package-manager is "don't"

well yeah, if you need a larger file size than it supports then you don't really have a choice

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Does it at least have a decent error message, not just "Error: ar returned 7, exiting."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ar about to get 15

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Is there a way to completely erase any trace of a program having been on a linux system without having to track down every file and dependency that program ever created? I'm still banging my head against the wall with this drat torrent program (deluge) and as far as i can tell it doesn't work because a different torrent program (qbittorrent) I was using is causing deluge to malfunction because of different permissions qbittorrent set up.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
did you install qbittorrent with a package manager? if so, you should be able to just remove it

e: but if you don't want to, usually a package manager will have some way of displaying all of the files a package contains along with the paths those files get installed to. you could then find out which one is the conflicting one and change its permissions

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 12, 2024

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

Is there a way to completely erase any trace of a program having been on a linux system without having to track down every file and dependency that program ever created? I'm still banging my head against the wall with this drat torrent program (deluge) and as far as i can tell it doesn't work because a different torrent program (qbittorrent) I was using is causing deluge to malfunction because of different permissions qbittorrent set up.

well, “Linux system” isn’t really precise enough. Deb based you can do

apt-get purge <package>

to both torrent programs to remove the package AND any config

then

apt-get autoremove

to remove any dangling dependencies. after that reinstall the package you want

for rpm based distros lol and lmso afaik there is no equivalent to purge, even up to dnf. you can try

rpm -e <package>

with should remove config files at least

the moral of the story here is sheets be using Debian

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

yah it’s called containers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

akadajet posted:

i am quickly learning that lol. thanks for the help for my dumbass

edit: that did the trick shitface! thanks a tonnnnnnnnnnnnnnne

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 12, 2024

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Poopernickel posted:

if you're a laptophaver, macos is still the way to go. Windows is next-best. Put your Linux in a VM (WSL is fine). Don't waste your life loving around with graphics drivers, wi-fi drivers, "oh, btw your camera won't work", bad battery life, etc.

Linux is ideal for:
- all servers
- anything in the cloud
- your desktop
- anything embedded

don't get me wrong, MacOS peaked with snow-leopard and it's been all downhill since then. but don't do a Linux on your laptop

all I want for Christmas is to use Linux on a laptop with decent battery life

Someone talk me out of trying asahi

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

mila kunis posted:

no, asahi is fascinating and should be celebrated. the devs are insane. give them money.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mila kunis posted:

both of the chromebooks i use get at least 8 hours, one gets 8-10 (has an oled and a faster processor) and the other (slower cpu, lower res lcd) gets around 14. if that's not decent battery life idk what is, 24 hours?

e: they are not running chromeos. clear linux and the faster one dual boots windows 10, which gets about the same range

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 12, 2024

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

mila kunis posted:

it's good op, probably the best linux battery life available, and it's not even its final form
once thunderbolt support is done i want to convert all servers to macs for that sweet 10w idle on a max spec studio

divsel
Mar 28, 2024
I haven't put Linux on a laptop in years because of the battery life thing. I wonder how much its improved since the last time I tried it.

Linux desktop and server main tho.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

both of the chromebooks i use get at least 8 hours, one gets 8-10 (has an oled and a faster processor) and the other (slower cpu, lower res lcd) gets around 14. if that's not decent battery life idk what is, 24 hours?

e: they are not running chromeos. clear linux and the faster one dual boots windows 10, which gets about the same range

can I run docket and vscode and other crap on chromebooks

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

vscode is just a web browser and embedded web page, it most certainly runs on a chromebook. if not natively, then the many many web-based implementations of it will work.

dunno about docker but "real linux" on chromebook was some big news a few years ago iirc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mila kunis posted:

can I run docket and vscode and other crap on chromebooks

i assume you mean docker, but sure?

if you mean docket, idk what that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN