Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well my friend, just wait until you watch the Halo two season show exclusively on Paramount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Blast corps dawgs

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

how we feeling about the dreamcast itt? in another world where it didn't die so quickly i think it could have been a goated system

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wicka posted:

Halo is a terrible game that console kids massively overrate because they had never seen a PC shooter before

:goonsay:

I mean yeah i had fun playing counter-strike in high school too, but I don't think the kids that were having sex did.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

how we feeling about the dreamcast itt? in another world where it didn't die so quickly i think it could have been a goated system

Mid console but the full open season to piracy elevated it to pretty high on the tier list

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

:goonsay:

I mean yeah i had fun playing counter-strike in high school too, but I don't think the kids that were having sex did.

I wasn't having sex when I was 8, thank god

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

wicka posted:

Halo is a terrible game that console kids massively overrate because they had never seen a PC shooter before

I played counterstrike and halo, i enjoyed both for different reasons. I stopped playing CS when 1.6 was released because my pc couldn't run it at more than 20fps.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did I have a stroke and accidentally write Counter-Strike without realizing it

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Average Lettuce posted:

I think that was in Grand Prix Manager 2? Googling it it seems like it was John Newhouse, I always wondered who tf he was lmao

Ah could be. I played both.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Greatest console ever made.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

wicka posted:

The first game is an all timer. Wrong, again.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

Greatest console ever made.

This.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Frond posted:

The first game is an all timer. Wrong, again.

Try actually reading and understanding my last post you replied to before you waste your time praising one of the most generic games ever made

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Halo had really good controls for a console game, but the story was boring as hell.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If you wanna argue Halo is one of the best console shooters of all time, go nuts, but it came out three years after Half-Life and that game absolutely pisses on Halo

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
My parents hated video games or the concept of “children having fun” so I didn’t have any consoles. We had PC’s for school work though and I managed to play Doom, Lemmings, Warcraft 2, basically any shareware disk I could get my hands on.

I got a job at 13 or 14 to secretly buy a Voodoo 3 2000, and then even more secretly install it in the family PC so I could play Tribes and CS.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
My brother won a Dreamcast at a work raffle so I commandeered it and remember loving Sonic Adventure but being disappointed at the rest of the game selection it had

My dad worked at ICL (British IBM) so he was a massive PC/shareware guy so he insisted that MS-DOS games were just as good as console games and didn't see the need to get one until the PS1 came out

Similarly when the Xbox came out he insisted on getting that instead of the "inferior" PS2 so I missed out on a lot of PS2 classics :( I remember being disappointed with the original Xbox aside from Halo because of the severe FOMO from lack of franchises it had.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I mean I played counter-strike in high school and objectively realize it was the "better" game, but Halo was arguably responsible for bringing multiplayer FPSes to consoles and subsequently the masses.

gently caress, am I arguing about vidya games (that I don't even play anymore) on the internet?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

wicka posted:

If you wanna argue Halo is one of the best console shooters of all time, go nuts, but it came out three years after Half-Life and that game absolutely pisses on Halo

Halo is better than Half-Life. It plays better, it looks better, also it doesn’t have Xen in it.

Then again this is from the guy that said “uh MGS games are actually bad” and Rare platformers for pedophiles are better than the entire PS1 library, so I’d take that with a grain of salt frankly.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Full Collapse posted:

Halo had really good controls for a console game, but the story was boring as hell.

The story in the first game was basically perfect and it was ruined in subsequent games.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Alaois posted:

that said, Donkey Kong 94 on the GameBoy is an all-time game

Playing this right now, it is.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Frond posted:

Then again this is from the guy that said “uh MGS games are actually bad” and Rare platformers for pedophiles are better than the entire PS1 library, so I’d take that with a grain of salt frankly.

I literally didn't say that and I don't know why you instantly resorted to this brain damaged redditor bullshit. Disagree all you want but disagree with what I ACTUALLY say instead of making poo poo up in your head to get mad about. It's a video game console, it's not going to gently caress you.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

I think in the manual he's "John Newtown" or something for extra taking the piss.

Lola are in the manual but not the game iirc.

In F1 Pole Position 64 (which is one of the few games based on the 1996 F1 season.) he’s and American named “Driver X”.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

wicka posted:

I literally didn't say that and I don't know why you instantly resorted to this brain damaged redditor bullshit. Disagree all you want but disagree with what I ACTUALLY say instead of making poo poo up in your head to get mad about. It's a video game console, it's not going to gently caress you.

👍

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

God what a loving baby lmao. won't someone think of the metal gears

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Alaois posted:

Ridge Racer Type 4 blows anything on the N64 out of the water on every front

There is a horrid Ridge Racer 64. Awful.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

wicka posted:

God what a loving baby lmao. won't someone think of the metal gears

No no the N64 is the infant console. Personally love being told that Banjo Kazoo or whatever is a better game than Ape Escape.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Rhopunzel posted:

My brother won a Dreamcast at a work raffle so I commandeered it and remember loving Sonic Adventure but being disappointed at the rest of the game selection it had

My dad worked at ICL (British IBM) so he was a massive PC/shareware guy so he insisted that MS-DOS games were just as good as console games and didn't see the need to get one until the PS1 came out

Similarly when the Xbox came out he insisted on getting that instead of the "inferior" PS2 so I missed out on a lot of PS2 classics :( I remember being disappointed with the original Xbox aside from Halo because of the severe FOMO from lack of franchises it had.

Could be worse. I had a college roommate who was Team Xbox because it was the American console.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tony quidprano posted:

I was poor as poo poo growing up so I legitimately only had a Sega Genesis till like 2001 lmao

The biggest shame is the failure of the Dreamcast. I wish Sega never exited the market but the Saturn’s disastrous export performance sealed the hardware division’s fate. Kinda sad, the Saturn had some gems.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Frond posted:

No no the N64 is the infant console. Personally love being told that Banjo Kazoo or whatever is a better game than Ape Escape.

Did they not have Hooked on Phonics where you grew up

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

Halo is better than Half-Life. It plays better, it looks better, also it doesn’t have Xen in it.

Are you genuinely hosed in the head? Half-Life fundamentally changed how games were made, paced, and presented stories. Half-Life did to games what Citizen Kane did to movies, Halo straight up wouldn't exist as it is now without the innovations made in HL.

Jesus loving christ this thread sometimes.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
metal gear solid on bleem in a pentium 3 broke my brain

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Are you genuinely hosed in the head? Half-Life fundamentally changed how games were made, paced, and presented stories. Half-Life did to games what Citizen Kane did to movies, Halo straight up wouldn't exist as it is now without the innovations made in HL.

Jesus loving christ this thread sometimes.

I can't wait to see how Frond interprets this post. Probably something like "what? Orson Welles didn't work at Valve"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My PC couldn’t run half life

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
You should get a new one

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MustardFacial posted:

Are you genuinely hosed in the head? Half-Life fundamentally changed how games were made, paced, and presented stories.

Metal Gear Solid did all those things first.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My PC couldn’t run half life

Sounds like someone should have found a shady auto shop that didn't care about child labour laws to sweep floors in so they could buy the parts they needed to play it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I played Half Life on the PS2, take that pcailures

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I lived in the boonies so unfortunately my allowance was $5 a week to mow 2 acres with a push mower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Uh so the active aero is apparently hosed in simulations.