Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i wanted to watch a movie the other night and my six year old wouldn't stay in bed so i just let him watch the terminator with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Kids need to learn about the dangers of Skynet sometime

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
There's no bedtime but what we make for ourselves.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Was Logan that mature? He fights an evil clone of himself. It seemed to me like a regular comic book movie but sad

But, you see, there is blood and Charlie Xavier says “gently caress”, which means it is mature and for a higher class of people than your regular card schlock, apparently

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People were absolutely going in on the hardsell that Logan was different, mature, maybe even more a western than a cape movie. You people forget so fast.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

logan talks about shooting himself in the head with an adamantium bullet to commit suicide bc he's tired of living.

the trio have dinner on a farm with strangers and reminisce about the old times and have a moment of somber, happy reflection, amidst the chaos of the movie's events.

charles gives an emotionally heavy confession about the wrongs he's committed right before getting claws through the chest and dies

there's more about the movie that's mature than the characters saying "gently caress." which, btw, is still a satisfying way to experience these characters behaving considering the circumstances, setting, and what we've been told to believe about them over two decades of seeing them be PG in movies.

it's not a god drat masterpiece but it's still a good movie that we should all be happy exists in the same climate as, like, the loving flash and thor love and thunder lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least two of those examples happen in Avengers movies as well lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Logan was pretty good up until the clone bullshit, that was lame. Shoulda been Liev Schreiber as the big bad instead.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My toddler can do about 40 minutes before he gets bored of movies. Sometimes a bit longer if there are dragons or monsters.

I think we’re on session 4 of trying to finish Spirited Away. It’s not an ideal way to watch movies but 🤷🏼‍♂️

My teenager basically refuses to watch movies so I guess it’s something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Failed Imagineer posted:

There has never been a single movie released that's worth that.

But then, I've mostly just gotten free cinema tickets for years now so I'm skewed

hah well to be fair it's also about getting away with my wife for a few hours without kids. So that's definitely worth it!

And that price generally includes food and drinks at the Alamo.

$120 babysitter (we use a service so we're paying the service and the sitter).
$35 for tickets
$100-ish for food and drinks for two.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Escobarbarian posted:

The Hulk talks about his suicide attempt to bond with a sexual abuse survivor. The Avengers was a serious, mature movie for adults, a refreshing change from the superhero movies that came before it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BonoMan posted:

hah well to be fair it's also about getting away with my wife for a few hours without kids. So that's definitely worth it!

And that price generally includes food and drinks at the Alamo.

$120 babysitter (we use a service so we're paying the service and the sitter).
$35 for tickets
$100-ish for food and drinks for two.

How loving expensive is food at the Alamo?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Air Skwirl posted:

How loving expensive is food at the Alamo?

I mean this is for two people. It's the drinks more than anything (I'm talking alcohol - not coke)

Popcorn - $10
Two food dishes (2 x $15) - $30
Four drinks total (4 x $10 average - I get beer my wife will get cocktails) - $40
And then $20 tip on top of that.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 9, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My recent pet peeve is why they didn't just call HANUMAN rather than MONKEY MAN.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My recent pet peeve is why they didn't just call HANUMAN rather than MONKEY MAN.

Because 99.9% of white people don't know who or what Hanuman is, whereas they do know what monkeys and men are, and may even have watched the Kung Fu show Monkey in the 80s and become confused

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't give a rat's rear end! HANUMAN sounds cooler!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Agreed

E: sick movie either way

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

does the Rolling Stones song feature in it in any way because otherwise i'm not seeing it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

does the Rolling Stones song feature in it in any way because otherwise i'm not seeing it

I don't believe so but there is a similarly OK Boomer moment with a groaner placement of Roxanne

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Logan was pretty good up until the clone bullshit, that was lame. Shoulda been Liev Schreiber as the big bad instead.

Would've ruled so hard

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
The bad guy with the robot hand in Logan is cast as an evil shitheel in everything else I've seen him in, which is just Sandman and Dial of Destiny. Guess he just has one of those faces.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sourdough Sam posted:

The bad guy with the robot hand in Logan is cast as an evil shitheel in everything else I've seen him in, which is just Sandman and Dial of Destiny. Guess he just has one of those faces.

he's also the guy from Narcos, right? i watched the first season of that, it was okay.

edit: oh, he's also part of the white trash couple that robs Rosamund Pike in Gone Girl, genuinely a great bit part

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This would have been better than what we got, yeah. But I thought the movie would have come full circle if the big bad at the end was comic-style Wolverine in the classic costume. Logan having to fight his idealized replacement, him against the manifestation of his legacy, while his daughter (who was disappointed that the real man wasn't the same as the character from the comic books she'd read) watched on. What we got was super bland.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What if Logan, but in black & white?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
All comic book movies should be in black & white, like early Judge Dredd comics. The only one that should be in color is the hypothetical adaptation of the Judge Dredd storyline where he gets hit on the head and dreams he’s in The Wizard Of Oz, which announced the strip’s movie into full color.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't believe so but there is a similarly OK Boomer moment with a groaner placement of Roxanne

I thought this, but I also this is absolutely the kind of poo poo they play in Indian clubs. I'm surprised the Pirates of the Caribbean theme didn't feature.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The clone stuff in Logan was good, and would become prescient of the state of all the AI and how it would be used on The Flash.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I liked it because he finally got to poke people with his stuff.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought this, but I also this is absolutely the kind of poo poo they play in Indian clubs. I'm surprised the Pirates of the Caribbean theme didn't feature.

Yeah it wasn't so much the song itself as the meaningful eye-contact with the sex-worker lady at the same time. A real "subtext is for cowards" moment.

Every scene with the two of them I kept hoping they would re-enact the How Can She Slap video

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

the clone should've been hugh jackman but 5'3". the perfect specimen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Escobarbarian posted:

Okay so you think the avengers movies count as mature films

Just wondering what your bar is lmfao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Okay so you think the avengers movies count as mature films

Just wondering what your bar is lmfao

What are you talking about. I was suggesting that that means those scenes do not a mature film make. What’s goin on with you CP idk why you’re so offended on behalf of 2017 movie Logan

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm just frustrated with how much you're ignoring the wider point because you don't like it.

The Dark Knight is a very goofy film with it's plot contrivances and hilarious lines, but it's a lot more mature and adult than the previous years Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four.

Logan's place in the superhero canon is why people called it mature or whatever.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I watched My Dinner with André today, now THAT'S a mature movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What if he ordered chicken tendies

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

can we get a comic book movie maturity spectrum? what's the most mature? the least?

Jay Rust posted:

I watched My Dinner with André today, now THAT'S a mature movie

i was excited to watch this and then couldn't get past 20 minutes. i understand it's supposed to be doing a "thing" but i just found it incredibly boring.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ShoogaSlim posted:

can we get a comic book movie maturity spectrum? what's the most mature? the least?

Most mature:
The Shadow (1994)

Least mature:
Persepolis (2007)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alternatively:

Most mature comic book movies:
The Mask
Time Cop
Barb Wire

Least mature:
Oldboy
Road to Perdition
The Fountain

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone who doesn't believe in Megalopolis needs their heads examined. The Goat is coming back swinging and you people better be ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They made exactly one comic book for adults, it was called Mystery Men and it kicked rear end but made no money so from that point on they exclusively made comic book movies for children.