Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Anyone under 65?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Uncle Wemus posted:

Anyone under 65?

She pointed to that younger woman on the right when she was mentioning "people under 26 can still use their parents' healthcare* and the orange man wants to stop that"

*parents having healthcare required. Thank you mister Biden.

edit: yes, I watched the whole thing because I hate myself

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

https://x.com/kamalaharris/status/1155305122911723526?s=46

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

whoa.... it would be awful if this happened to the economy

FACT SHEET: Extreme House Republican Plan Would Hurt American Workers While Rigging the Economy for Big Corporations and the Wealthy | The White House (www.whitehouse.gov - Tue, 09 Apr 2024)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Lmao no they don’t. They can absolutely just do some nebulous “community standards” thing specifically designed to be vague and open to abuse. That’s how censorship laws have always worked in this country.

Yup, they tied it once, and they'll try it again

https://apnews.com/general-news-ce1eaa40c7504c9d8e772241f07d6965

quote:

Publisher apologizes for textbook calling slaves ‘workers’
By PAUL J. WEBER
Published 7:43 PM EDT, October 5, 2015

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — One of the biggest publishers in the U.S. apologized Monday for calling slaves brought to America “workers” in a geography textbook used widely in Texas, where the wording went unnoticed during the state’s combative and politically charged classroom curriculum reviews.

Instead it was the mother of a 15-year-old high school freshman near Houston who prompted McGraw-Hill Education to take the unusual step of promising immediate revisions and new supplemental lessons about the Atlantic slave trade. Roni Dean-Burren, whose son pointed out the wording in his world geography textbook to his mom, ignited outrage on social media last week after posting her disbelief.

Roughly a quarter of Texas’ 1,200 school districts use the textbook, according to state officials. The publisher didn’t respond to questions about how many other classrooms in the U.S. purchased copies with the same phrasing.

“We are deeply sorry that the caption was written this way,” McGraw-Hill Education CEO David Levin said in a letter to employees. “While the book was reviewed by many people inside and outside the company, and was made available for public review, no one raised concerns about the caption. Yet, clearly, something went wrong and we must and will do better.”

The caption in the ninth-grade textbook accompanies a map of the U.S. in a section about immigration. It reads: “The Atlantic Slave Trade between the 1500s and 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations.”

Dean-Burren, a former English teacher who is now a doctoral candidate at the University of Houston, found out about the caption when her son texted her picture of the page, telling her, “We was real hard workers weren’t we.”

Dean-Burren said she struggles most with how the wording wasn’t caught by book editors or the Texas State Board of Education, which approved the textbook last November. The board is dominated by social conservatives and has drawn national attention in recent years over approving curriculum standards that deemphasize the separation of church and state and question evolution. The 15-person elected board has one black member.

“There’s a part of me, the emotional side, that says, ‘Y’all did this on purpose. You did this to sanitize this and to wash it down,’” Dean-Burren said. “But what if this wasn’t on purpose, but it was the result of not ensuring that you have a table made up of what children and people in Texas look like?”

Levin said his company will increase the number of textbook reviewers to “reflect greater diversity.”

Thomas Ratliff, a Republican member of the state board, said the wording of the caption isn’t related to Texas’ curriculum standards.

“People have been looking for something to criticize and if you look for something hard enough, believe me you’ll find it,” Ratliff said. “I think it was just worded improperly. I don’t think this is the tipping point for a whole bunch of other revelations.”

The Texas Freedom Network, a left-leaning group that is the board’s toughest critic, has its own reviewers scrutinize textbooks. But when it came to world geography textbooks, they only checked sections about climate change and religion, said group spokesman Dan Quinn.

Ratliff said local school districts should decide whether they want to remove the current edition of the book from classrooms. McGraw-Hill says it’s changing the digital version, which all Texas schools using the textbook have. The company says it’s also exploring how to quickly change the physical copies.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe Biden is a piece of poo poo loser

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
that women has dozens of videos on her channel and you know what? im ok with banning tiktok now

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7355344350026501419

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Many registered democrats ITT

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

al franken on tik tok finally

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Many registered democrats ITT

mods????

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1777505225990897889?t=zxwUqupkCO_zriyXVwKDLg&s=19

:nsa:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i'm not reporting tweet posts, i'm no snitch

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

quote:

Dean-Burren, a former English teacher who is now a doctoral candidate at the University of Houston, found out about the caption when her son texted her picture of the page, telling her, “We was real hard workers weren’t we.”

drat, the kids are already at lol world is a gently caress levels of understanding at only 15....

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

lol when i saw this in the news this morning i knew it was something like this

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

we inflated some folks

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

THEY PUT ISIS IN THE POTATOES!!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Lux Anima posted:

I hear they're gonna have another check-bouncy castle this year! :cb:

(this is where they laugh about the debt-poor along with the big bankies in a private hart-fuffing donor tent)

They aren't just old lamebrains any more, they're the Democrats Who Party: finding all the 'fun' in the 'fundamental change' that won't be happening under them, and snuffing out whatever goodwill tries to escape that hellcircus

that's right lux. that's exactly right.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Joementum posted:

that women has dozens of videos on her channel and you know what? im ok with banning tiktok now

scared?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I am SO glad I asked for the reverse

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Sean posted:

She pointed to that younger woman on the right when she was mentioning "people under 26 can still use their parents' healthcare* and the orange man wants to stop that"

*parents having healthcare required. Thank you mister Biden.

edit: yes, I watched the whole thing because I hate myself

reporting this post for self harm

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Joementum posted:

putin suvks

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

suvkzone

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

cyka zone

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Excelzior posted:

cykk зона

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Hahaaha

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/GyzwwDj.mp4

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

lmao

ex post facho posted:

biden is never gonna send that $600 $720 he owes us

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1459858936300032003

also lmao

there is no hope and that's :krad:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

god I hate these fuckin morons

they're all so stupid in addition to being monsters. The competent monsters are on the other side

nah they wanna lose

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nichael posted:

nah they wanna lose

I don't think joe brandon wants to lose to trump. he just would rather lose than question his baseline political assumptions about stuff like inflation, debt and israel.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DEI and woke is ruining this country.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Good golly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In Training posted:

DEI and woke is ruining this country.