Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Kings last 100-point scorer was Wayne Gretzky. :dumb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
kucherov didnt have the heart for the all star skills competition, and therefore he will not get the hart this year.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Wonderllama posted:

kucherov didnt have the heart for the all star skills competition, and therefore he will not get the hart this year.

I missed the skills part, didn't he just gently caress around and half-rear end it? because :lmao: if so

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Oh no, he way less than half-assed it. Two- or three-percent-assed it at best.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

tinstaach posted:

The correct amount of arsed

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It was impressive how little he tried and it was also funny how some people were genuinely upset that he didn't care

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think it should be Kucherov. Not only is he leading the NHL in points, but Kucherov also has 51 more points than the next best Lightning player (Brayden Point at 85) which is crazy. MacKinnon and McDavid have pretty large gaps between them and #2 on their teams but not by as much. Rantanen and Draisaitl both have 102 points.

Yeah, even as a huge MacKinnon fan boy, Kucherov is having a season that makes it hard to justify not giving him the Hart However, I think the presence of Makar and Rantanen kinda blot out how much the Avs rely on MacKinnon, because once you get past the top 3 the next two dudes have ~50 points before the rest of the team falls off a cliff (tbf this is where TB falls off a cliff too, but they've at least got 5 players who'll be north of 70pts.

What makes Kucherov so impressive is that he's not particularly physically gifted. He doesn't skate like McDavid or move like MacKinnon or shoot like Matthews etc... But he's cerebral af, can pick apart anyone's game (including his own), and works like a maniac to be better. He puts me in mind of a modern day Igor Larionov. Nothing about him or what he does looks particularly impressive, but he just knows how to surprise you, unbalance you, and make you uncomfortable, and I'm just sad I haven't been able to see much of him play over the years.

But anyway MacKinnon should totally get it.

HOLY gently caress posted:

I missed the skills part, didn't he just gently caress around and half-rear end it? because :lmao: if so

tinstaach posted:

He straight up left his rear end at home.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

tinstaach posted:

that rules. I love hockey so much

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

HOLY gently caress posted:

that rules. I love hockey so much

it was the first interesting skills competition in......ever?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1777456288600838603

Jfresh fancies on the Hart race. He says in the thread Matthews is a little high by his model since he weights shot generation and finishing super high and those are the categories he dominates. Kuch should be fine since no one cares about forward defence other than a generic C vs W adjustment or if someone is notoriously good/bad.

Everything else is just in the "these guys are all really drat good, it's not going to be an upset/bad decision no matter what happens" range.

I think it's close enough that Ross winner gets it as I don't think there's enough of a case for the runners up to jump him. I also think there's a case for voters to slot Matthews/Hughes in at 2/3 though since they are getting votes on a different case (goals/defence) vs. just being worse than winner at their primary argument. But voting's probably going to just wind up boring Ross 1-3.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
People seemed to care about the skills comp back in the 90s. Every broadcast Al MacInnis was on always lauded his being the Hardest Shooter In The NHL based on his 100+ MPH skills comp shots, and broadcasters would always remind me that Sami Kapanen was the Fastest Skater In The NHL based on same.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Man I still can't believe Sullivan started Lars fuckin Eller with basically his season on the line last night. Apparently Crosby's skates were hosed up and for some reason he doesn't play with the trigger release holders that can easily replace broken steel so that's why he didn't start OT. Which is pretty lol ityool 2024 to not be using trigger release holders wtf Sid what kind of archaic setup are you using?

But that aside, Evgeni Malkin's skates were not, in fact, broken, and he was ready and able to go. It's such a cowardly decision to go with Eller to try and not lose the game instead of going with Malkin to try and win it.

Ah, well. The point was still pretty huge though I think the Pens no longer control their fate now. I guess I should count my blessings that I'm getting to give a poo poo about hockey for at least a few more games.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
There are at least 2 other forward combinations that should be on the ice before Eller/DoC. Absolutely huge galaxy brained coaching from Sullivan.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Man I still can't believe Sullivan started Lars fuckin Eller with basically his season on the line last night. Apparently Crosby's skates were hosed up and for some reason he doesn't play with the trigger release holders that can easily replace broken steel so that's why he didn't start OT. Which is pretty lol ityool 2024 to not be using trigger release holders wtf Sid what kind of archaic setup are you using?

McDavid doesn't use them either. But he also wears his socks from like Jr so

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

McDavid doesn't use them either. But he also wears his socks from like Jr so

Crazy as hell. They aren't new either they've been around Crosby's whole career and probably have been around from the very first time McDavid put on skates.

Crosby having such a hosed up skate situation might have cost the Pens their season with how close the race is

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
:lol::lol: Yeah, Crosby's skate cost the Pens their season, not, like, management addressing the team being old and slow by making it older and slower, or Sullivan playing Jeff Carter's desiccated corpse all year, or deciding the solution to almost every forward on the team being terrible at finishing is Jesse Pulijarvi, or

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

:lol::lol: Yeah, Crosby's skate cost the Pens their season, not, like, management addressing the team being old and slow by making it older and slower, or Sullivan playing Jeff Carter's desiccated corpse all year, or deciding the solution to almost every forward on the team being terrible at finishing is Jesse Pulijarvi, or

Well yes that too

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its still pretty funny that even with all that considered, the other 4 teams in the mix with the Pens appear to be trying just as hard to miss the playoffs.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

rex rabidorum vires posted:

There are at least 2 other forward combinations that should be on the ice before Eller/DoC. Absolutely huge galaxy brained coaching from Sullivan.

He studied Keefe's amazing "start Kampf and Brodie in OT ahead of Matthews and (anyone else)" strategy, which even Keefe was forced to abandon for obvious reasons.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Its still pretty funny that even with all that considered, the other 4 teams in the mix with the Pens appear to be trying just as hard to miss the playoffs.

Yes, Penguins fans must be reminded that they still play the Red Wings and Islanders, and Washington plays the Red Wings and Flyers. There is still room for a hilarious amount of chaos and this could all come down to how many times someone loses to Montreal

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yes, Penguins fans must be reminded that they still play the Red Wings and Islanders, and Washington plays the Red Wings and Flyers. There is still room for a hilarious amount of chaos and this could all come down to how many times someone loses to Montreal

Pens also play the Bruins and Preds. It's a pretty brutal schedule tbh and they probably need to go 3-1 to get in.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Habs are beating the Flyers 5-1 tonight.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Looking over the standings, the few playoff series' that seem set in stone are

Toronto vs. Florida
Colorado vs. Winnipeg

My guess is that it will probably be Boston vs. Tampa, but all the other ones are still too close to call.

Jamwad is correct, the Atlantic is going to be a bloodbath.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

It's going to be funny when Carolina finishes below Boston and ends up playing the Islanders. This playoff system is great!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The system is fine. The problem, as always, is that every team in the metro and all their fans are ugly and bad.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Are you calling Mika Zibanejad and K'Andre Miller ugly?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://x.com/NHLFlyers/status/1777810601206575537

Marc Staal is in tonight :suicide:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Yanking out Atkinson is also quite a decision.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

pseudodragon posted:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1777456288600838603

Jfresh fancies on the Hart race. He says in the thread Matthews is a little high by his model since he weights shot generation and finishing super high and those are the categories he dominates. Kuch should be fine since no one cares about forward defence other than a generic C vs W adjustment or if someone is notoriously good/bad.

Everything else is just in the "these guys are all really drat good, it's not going to be an upset/bad decision no matter what happens" range.

I think it's close enough that Ross winner gets it as I don't think there's enough of a case for the runners up to jump him. I also think there's a case for voters to slot Matthews/Hughes in at 2/3 though since they are getting votes on a different case (goals/defence) vs. just being worse than winner at their primary argument. But voting's probably going to just wind up boring Ross 1-3.

i like JFresh but any model that says Matthews has been worth nearly 2x as much as Kucherov should probably be trashed outright. And also saying Mackinnon and Matthews are worth 1.5 Connors. That's absolutely insane.

I think any of the top 3 guys would be fine choices, and Matthews + Panarin should get some nice golf claps at 4/5.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

DildenAnders posted:

Are you calling Mika Zibanejad and K'Andre Miller ugly?

I have sworn a blood oath of eternal hatred against the New York R*ng*rs but even I must admit that Mika is the most handsome man in the league

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yanking out Atkinson is also quite a decision.
He's fallen off a cliff this season. I can't remember the last time he had a good game. I actually feel bad for him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/PuckReportNHL/status/1777807963316498907

The kid played for 3 months with a hosed shoulder. Wasn't the same guy since he missed that time in January.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

man that's a drat shame

I hope he gets out from under the constant injuries because he's so fun to watch when he's healthy

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Biggest game in the history of Little Caesars Arena tonight. Go Wings.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

man that's a drat shame

I hope he gets out from under the constant injuries because he's so fun to watch when he's healthy

He needs to hit the gym!

But yeah its starting to feel like 10 years from now we're going to be doing "imagine if he had been healthy" takes about him. Dude is in his 4th season and he's only played the full season (almost) once.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He needs to hit the gym!

But yeah its starting to feel like 10 years from now we're going to be doing "imagine if he had been healthy" takes about him

He does need to hit the gym and learn how to take a check. Imagine how good he might be if he learns how to play the rest of the game of hockey and not just the flashy bit.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well we all suspected it given his poo poo 5v5 numbers and not taking a draw for months. This is gonna be a pretty crazy offseason

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

shyduck posted:

Marc Staal is in tonight :suicide:

What the gently caress, he's still in the league? I honestly thought he retired after the Rangers finally dumped him a few years ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

Well we all suspected it given his poo poo 5v5 numbers and not taking a draw for months. This is gonna be a pretty crazy offseason

I don't think they are going to make major changes other than obviously a coach and a goalie and they will expect to get a healthy Jack and Dougie back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I believe this is further proof that the hockey gods had to step in to humble Devils fans after all the "this is the best and most exciting team in the NHL" talk they had going on at the end of last season/the beginning of this one.