Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think it makes perfect sense tbh for the goofy scientists stuff. The only reason I’d become a biologist would be to touch all those things. Lemme touch all the weird animals. Gonna touch that snake, squeeze that sea pig, poke the alien worm. Don’t care, I’m a biologist which basically translates to official animal toucher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The alien is not a bear/moose/bison; it’s significantly smaller, for starters, and resembles a snake or worm.

But that kind of thing is besides the point, because nothing you’re writing about has anything to do with the character’s skill as a biologist. You’re objecting to the character’s conscious risk-taking behaviour.

Yeah I mean, he's in a full body suit designed to survive on alien planets. If it were an actual real life snake, even a very venomous and aggressive variety of snake, he would be a-ok.

Come And See posted:

Too much talk about science and realism and not enough about nihilistic freudian pervert sex.

They're not really extricable. The guy has, very realistically, a crush on someone, which motivates his behavior. Alas for him, he lives in sex pervert black goo hell dimension and gets melted and his crush turns into a werewolf

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Some popular misconceptions/facts!!

Great post, really interesting look into your profession.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

davidspackage posted:

This all really interesting, thanks for sharing. Do you guys do like, surgical work to cut organs loose before they're removed?

The trocar is basically a little spear/vacuum, so we make a small incision near the naval, insert it, then itll pierce/suck everything out etc. Theres no need to cut anything out because its strong so will just suck everything out on its own. It doesnt get everything, but its mostly trying to get anything liquid out, so if theres some solid organ matter left thats less important.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is there a good explanation for why Weylund wouldn't weed out the goofy idiots when charting his super important all-or-nothing space trip? I feel like he'd filter out the unprofessional scientists.

Weyland doesn't care about the scientists beyond the very surface level. His one and only goal is to communicate with his creator and ask them to save him from death. David is the only person necessary to complete that goal, he needs David to learn their language and to act as his eyes and ears while he's in cryosleep.

He brings scientists along because hey sure this is a really important scientific discovery so what the hell, invite some scientists along. But he offloads that work to Vickers because in the end he really doesn't give a poo poo about anything beyond getting there and meeting his maker(s). Vickers cares even less than he does.

This is all treated as a sorta twist at the end when Weyland wakes up but in the chaos of Shaw's impromptu surgery you really only get that quick scene of Weyland dropping the facade and it's easy to not really absorb what he's saying.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alf_pogs posted:

the COVID pandemic really put into context that people make dumb decisions against their own health and safety interests all the time, and that scientists aren't immune from this.

This ended it for good for me. There's no way you could even float some of these arguments now, especially when you consider that it's a mission chartered and paid for entirely by a quadrillionaire.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This ended it for good for me. There's no way you could even float some of these arguments now, especially when you consider that it's a mission chartered and paid for entirely by a quadrillionaire.

so that's why they called it the quadrilogy

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kvlt! posted:

This was dope cause I’m in forensics and genuinely have no idea what yall do after we ship out our autopsies other than make em presentable

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I would fool around with one of the other camp counselors. when she hears a noise I’ll tease her, check it out, come back and say “see?”

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

In the early stages of the zombie outbreak being disgusted at cannibalism would be deemed "woke"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

In the early stages of the zombie outbreak being disgusted at cannibalism would be deemed "woke"

I had always found the start of Dawn of the Dead a little unbelievable going “The dead are eating people, there’s no way people would hide dead bodies from clean up efforts the zombies would be put down so fast!” but after COCID now it seems like even that seems is tame for a large segment of people :laffo: you’d have TikTok conspiracy moms recording themselves running up to a zombie to get bitten while ranting about natural immunity

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Screaming "my body, my choice" as they slather themselves in barbecue sauce.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Romero 100% predicted how people reacted during the first months of covid. Most people just trying to survive, some gun nuts deciding to go completely insane, and a government that just kind of gave up any semblance of functioning.

Land of the Dead isn't my favorite of his movies but a group of rich assholes isolating themselves from the world, charging people tons of money to get in, and then acting like everything's totally fine is totally on point.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is there a good explanation for why Weylund wouldn't weed out the goofy idiots when charting his super important all-or-nothing space trip? I feel like he'd filter out the unprofessional scientists.

i know a lot about techbros like steve jobs and elon musk is this is 100% what would happen in real life because the one thing they hate more than anything is being told no so naturally he wouldn't hire anyone on his big dangerous trip that would correct him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
steve jobs got the rare cureable pancreatic cancer and refused treatment in favor of eating fruit and you think weyland is unrealistic??? lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

weekly font posted:

This was dope cause I’m in forensics and genuinely have no idea what yall do after we ship out our autopsies other than make em presentable

are my local medical examiners just wicked lazy or is there a reason yall barely close your Y incisions at all stg there must be a nationwide thread shortage

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

Romero 100% predicted how people reacted during the first months of covid. Most people just trying to survive, some gun nuts deciding to go completely insane, and a government that just kind of gave up any semblance of functioning.

Land of the Dead isn't my favorite of his movies but a group of rich assholes isolating themselves from the world, charging people tons of money to get in, and then acting like everything's totally fine is totally on point.

Romero was there with the broad strokes. I just don't think he predicted how loving stupid it would actually look.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

are my local medical examiners just wicked lazy or is there a reason yall barely close your Y incisions at all stg there must be a nationwide thread shortage

I'm guessing medical examiners vs. funeral directors is like a classic rivalry like how different law enforcement agencies all hate each other and fight over turf.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheKingslayer posted:

Romero was there with the broad strokes. I just don't think he predicted how loving stupid it would actually look.

As they say, truth is stranger than fiction because people expect fiction to be logically consistent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"You're not running a talk show here, Mr. Berman! You can forget pitching an audience the moral bullshit they want to hear!!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"You're not running a talk show here, Mr. Berman! You can forget pitching an audience the moral bullshit they want to hear!!"

"DUMMIES!!! DUMMIES!!!"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

TheKingslayer posted:

There's that guy in Dawn of the Dead who sticks his arm in the blood pressure cuff as the zombies are overtaking the mall and everything's going to hell.

That dude would have been at Sturgis in 2020.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

There's that guy in Dawn of the Dead who sticks his arm in the blood pressure cuff as the zombies are overtaking the mall and everything's going to hell.

That dude would have been at Sturgis in 2020.

that dude kicked rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i want to know the lore of the eyepatch guy in dawn of the dead...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i mean those blood pressure things are fun, i find that dude very relatable

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If a zombie outbreak happened today people would be claiming that taking colloidal silver would prevent the disease

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you think someone does something stupid in a horror movie then there is someone in real life who has been in similar situations and done something even stupider. dont judge

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The most unrealistic thing about walking dead is that Rick didn't spend a episode making GBS threads his guts out because he ate horse paste

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

If a zombie outbreak happened today people would be claiming that taking colloidal silver would prevent the disease

how do we know it doesn't?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"How come we stick these lowlifes in these fancy rear end hotels, anyway? poo poo, man, this is better than I got!"

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

DeimosRising posted:

... his crush turns into a werewolf

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ok so I understand people act stupid and irrational, especially people who think they're in a comfortable situation. But at what point does it become unbelievably frustrating to watch? Alien Covenant's cast is the biggest group of dopes possible.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
David luring that dude into his creepy basement to look in the egg ruled

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Doltos posted:

Ok so I understand people act stupid and irrational, especially people who think they're in a comfortable situation. But at what point does it become unbelievably frustrating to watch? Alien Covenant's cast is the biggest group of dopes possible.

Whenever the gently caress you feel like?

The problem isn't having a preference or an internal level of "believability" or "verisimilitude" or whatever. It's about ignorantly thinking it's some objective standard rather than your bullshit tummy-feels.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

I'm fine with movies about a bunch of dumbasses if they're interesting dumbasses. I just rewatched Blood Simple, a movie where at every opportunity everyone makes exactly the wrong decision, which I think is a strong example of this (and is at least horror-adjacent)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I would simply get on a bus out of the town of Camp Crystal Lake as soon as the murders started.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

David luring that dude into his creepy basement to look in the egg ruled

that's right

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if david asked me if i wanted to see a cool alien egg i'd go hell yeah let me see that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm fine with movies about a bunch of dumbasses if they're interesting dumbasses. I just rewatched Blood Simple, a movie where at every opportunity everyone makes exactly the wrong decision, which I think is a strong example of this (and is at least horror-adjacent)

A SIMPLE PLAN probably the best example here.