Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

monsterzero posted:

“Those aren’t stress marks, it’s wabi-sabi you ignorant barbarian!”

Wabi Zabi's custom 'battle damaged' Zaku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamnit I hate these tiny screws some old MGs came with. I'm trying to put the GM Ground Type together and the hole for the screw is so tight I've almost stripped the drat thing and it's only like 80% of the way in

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

Oh drat, going to kintsugi this mecha back together for one last fight

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Goddamnit I hate these tiny screws some old MGs came with. I'm trying to put the GM Ground Type together and the hole for the screw is so tight I've almost stripped the drat thing and it's only like 80% of the way in

Wonder if they're slotted for JIS and not Philips

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The box is neat, even if it is just a recoloured version of the regular box. They really like that little Re logo, it has unique stickers featuring it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like the new 30MM kit Baskyrotto is out, my preorder just entered my private warehouse. :peanut:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Phy posted:

RG MS-06 ZAKU II HIGH MOBILITY TYPE FOR WABI ZABI USE

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marx Headroom posted:

RG MS-06 ZAKU II HIGH MOBILITY TYPE FOR WABI ZABI USE

You get it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
RG Shin Getter and I'll forgive them wasting a spot on the Impulse 'v2'.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nuebot posted:

The box is neat, even if it is just a recoloured version of the regular box. They really like that little Re logo, it has unique stickers featuring it.

Mine (That I totally didn't forget about and accidentally deleted the shipping notification for) is due to arrive tomorrow.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

the best advice, for painting, I ever got is paint what you see. not what you think is supposed to go there
:hai:

mllaneza posted:

In the same vein, don't take your first hi-res photo of a kit when you think it's finished and ready to be posted. Take one, or a series, when you start thinking you might be done. You will see so many little things you missed when it's on a web page in all its glory.

No kidding. I can see like 8 fuckups in this pic but holistically it's fine.

More pics here, feel free to talk poo poo.
Brush painting with Tamiya was okay. I was surprised by how quickly it dries so it was hard keeping a wet edge moving on the backpack. Coverage was good and the finish was better than anything I ever achieved with Testors back in the day. I was only thinning with rubbing alcohol, so I'm sure better solvents will produce a smoother finish.
I did a couple of spots of pale silver that turned out good. I did a little gunmetal on the bottom of the feet while the backpack dried and that turned out alright (not pictured because it would 100% look like poo poo in hirez).

ETA: I did a wash of light gray on the dark blue but it looked like poo poo so I wiped it off and used the black pen.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I needed to take a break from the AC Supplice kit I've been toiling on to take a crack at Metal Gear Rex. Shout out to the goon who posted theirs here a few months back, it inspired me! I got the Black version. The base primary color is nice, although pretty far from the promo photos, even for a Koto kit. The secondaries are kind of bland looking. Therefore I decided to keep the primary color stock and only color the secondary and accent pieces.

(before and afters)

There is a ton of detail in the lower leg that is usually covered by big panels, so I removed them for this photo. I might keep the inner panels off in the final build (and just on the outer sides of the legs) just to have them be visible. The colored pieces are via Gundam Marker metallic Silver and Gunmetal, and Sharpie Bronze metallic. I am really stoked about how it's coming out so far. Can't wait to see what this looks like fully cleaned up and with the white waterslides (it will be the first time I do them!) and panel lines. For this project, I'm approaching each section as it's own little cycle and I think it's the way to go for me going forward - the variety of steps in the process followed by something immediately tangible is a lot more fun then cutting and sanding an entire complex kit before getting to do any of the fun stuff.

I'll share more photos once the entire thing is complete.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

neat, definitely show us the finished product

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cthulu Carl posted:

Mine (That I totally didn't forget about and accidentally deleted the shipping notification for) is due to arrive tomorrow.

Mine was supposed to arrive today (friday) but for some reason every kit I've ordered has arrived a day early, it's weird but i'll take it.

EDIT: I stopped into don quijote today and turns out there's a whole line of washuu kits, neat. They're kind of expensive though, like ten whole dollars more than the WFM kits.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 13, 2024

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

painting this thing in pieces has been a nightmare but the results are looking mighty fine

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I took my kids to Anime Boston and came home with a big stompy robot.

I need to do all the decals and panel lining, but it was a fun build.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shame about the kids but its a fair trade i guess

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If the partner doesn't understand and complains, maybe you can get a Perfect Grade for them in trade.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Shame about the kids but its a fair trade i guess

Look, the kids are going to have a great time at the Flanagan Institute. The stompy robot is more of a side bonus.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

legally they're the property of anaheim electronics.

what could go wrong?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Anaheim! Like Disney! Just tell 'em they're going to Disney!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Anaheim! Like Disney! Just tell 'em they're going to Disney!

Why haven't we gotten a comedy musical Gundam with this joke in it yet?

edit: The Producers but it's set between Hathaway and F91.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Why haven't we gotten a comedy musical Gundam with this joke in it yet?

edit: The Producers but it's set between Hathaway and F91.

Gundam Producers can work but you're setting it too late in the timeline.

Anaheim engineers come up with an absolute lemon of an MS, a bloated monstrosity of a machine that will explode before it even gets to the launch catapult, something so crazy there's no way it could even fly let alone be effective in combat. Something they can charge the Federation a ton of money for, but never have to actually maintain or mass produce. They call it, the ZZ Gundam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Springtime for Casval

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Springtime for Casval

Garma is happy and gay.
We're marching to a happy pace
Look out, here comes the Zabi race

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Here comes the newtype race, surely?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
For the record, my kids enjoyed all these jokes.

What I really meant was that I'm not an anime person, but my kids are total weebs, so we took them to Anime Boston because we're cool, supportive parents. But I do like building things so I bought a big robot man

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

3 Action Economist posted:

What I really meant was that I'm not an anime person, but my kids are total weebs, so we took them to Anime Boston because we're cool, supportive parents. But I do like building things so I bought a big robot man

Check out the 30 Minute Missions line (30MM) for something to build. Get to build neat robots, and you can customize them extensively with accessory packs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chrome line posted:

Here comes the newtype race, surely?

They crossed the wires at Springtime for Casval.

It's Springtime for Gihren, you philistines.

3 Action Economist posted:

And that's all that matters. There's lots more robot mans out there to build, and everything else under the sun if you want to look at other kinds of scale modeling that aren't sci-fi robots too!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check out the 30 Minute Missions line (30MM) for something to build. Get to build neat robots, and you can customize them extensively with accessory packs.

or be like me and go on a long rabbit-hole to see if you can combine 30MM and 30 Minute Sisters to make ALLMIND and Ayre. The answer is 'kind of?'.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And then the AC6 30mm kits will release anyways

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Arc Hammer posted:

I just preordered the ac6 one along with a model of some space ship from the three body problem books I'm going to build for my father

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

i mean i have both robots preordered, but that's not the same

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
This Konig Wolf model is really good, pretty sturdy so far and the build process is pretty smooth

God I hope the Sturm Tyrann or Berserk Fury are more like this than what I’ve heard a lot of the Ligers were like

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaX posted:

This Konig Wolf model is really good, pretty sturdy so far and the build process is pretty smooth

God I hope the Sturm Tyrann or Berserk Fury are more like this than what I’ve heard a lot of the Ligers were like

The HMM Liger Zero is a Good Kit. My Panzer Liger Zero was a great build.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Coming here for some clarity because there seems to be a lot of online ‘expert’ science out there regarding this question.

Does enamel based panel liner like tamiya actually damage PS plastic? It seems pretty clear certain things nuke ABS to death but there seems to be so much conflicting information on whether enamels will gently caress up your PS. Like some people say you have to panel line on the runners, others insist it must be varnished or god help you. Surely someone has actually just tested this by dunking gunpla PS in various chemicals and coming back in a week to see what happens? It’s either reactive with the plastic or not.

I’m just slightly suspicious because I’ve seen more than one post bemoaning how panel liner destroyed their plastic after they cleaned it up with acetone. Gunpla hobby folks seem quite happy to blast their kits with lacquer based paints and varnishes which frankly I thought would be much hotter than an enamel pin wash.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'm no expert but AFAICT how it works is that it does degrade polystyrene but it does it pretty slowly (at least in small amounts). Doing big wet coats of enamel or allowing it to pool while panel lining can destroy parts, as would just dunking parts in the paint. But many people report being able to safely panel line unvarnished plastic with enamel stuff by using it lightly, wiping away any excess before it pools, etc, so the small amount of solvent in that thin coat on the surface evaporates away before it can seriously attack the plastic, or at least before it can do noticeable damage.
If there are any spots where the layer of wet enamel paint is too thick, the hot enamel solvents will have more time to leech into the plastic and gently caress it up before evaporating.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It can and does affect plastic, depending particularly on the solvent formulation. Tamiya panel liner definitely can react badly with Bandai plastic, though it's weirdly less of an issue with other model companies.

If you're concerned about damaging your models, there's two easy options.

A) Topcoat your model. A quick acrylic spray varnish will keep anything from breaking down.
B) Use a different panel liner that won't weaken plastic. It's a great excuse to get some turpenoid and oil paints, so you can brew your own, plus you can make filters and do really neat weathering effects.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Oil washes are fine? Jeese I’ll just dig out my paints then. Are mineral spirits on the naughty list as well for Bandai plastic? I normally just use winsor and newton sansodor for oils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Teatime posted:

I’m just slightly suspicious because I’ve seen more than one post bemoaning how panel liner destroyed their plastic after they cleaned it up with acetone. Gunpla hobby folks seem quite happy to blast their kits with lacquer based paints and varnishes which frankly I thought would be much hotter than an enamel pin wash.

Ugh, god this. I have moderate experience with paint and solvents (automotive urethanes, oil-based paints and varnishes, recreational huffing, etc) but never have I seen so many chemistries in such a small project. It doesn’t help that most of the products are literally in Japanese and the naming/labeling is vague otherwise.

My kingdom for Mr. Datasheet (in English).

I’m starting to buy paints so please tell me if I have this wrong:

Acrylics are water based and safe to use, brush or otherwise on all plastics or chemistries. Non-toxic, but fragile surface.

Enamels have more aggressive solvents, but are sometimes okay to use on plastic and over lacquer in moderation. This makes sense, I remember using fuckin MEK* to thin enamels BITD as well as melting PS together. Will murk ABS. Good for picking out details

Lacquer - strongest final film/most aggressive solvent. Top coating over other chemistries is okay/good. However, if you were to absolutely soak your model or brush (mechanically agitate) lacquer you might gently caress up the underlying paint.