Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
COPE VS PENTA 44 59.46%
LIONHOOK SHIBATA VS STP 4 5.41%
OKADA VS A GUY 6 8.11%
MAY VS JAY 6 8.11%
JOE VS RHODES 14 18.92%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If they run a show in allentown pa and don't at least give ian riccaboni, a man who cannot go 10 minutes without mentioning his allentown heritage, a segment if not a third mic, i will gigafrown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Oh no I mean it's great that he's being going for 20 years, nearly all of the top of the card (Kenny, Mox, Danielson, Joe, Claudio and countless others) have been. I just meant that pointing it out on commentary makes them sound a bit old. I think it's maybe that it's maybe my opinion that's coloured by comparing wrestling to other sports.

" Brighton are bringing on 20 year veteran James Milner" is not a phrase that instills excitement in me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I understand, but part of the fun of wrestling is how getting older just makes you gain more and more kayfabe power until you're Sting or Minoru Suzuki and can tank any move and knock people down with a single blow. Soon Roddy will be able to hit a backbreaker that makes his opponent explode into a cartoonishly large amount of ribcages Mortal Kombat-style.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

It's a bit suspicious that a lot of the vanilla "Just enjoy wrestling" podcasts turned on AEW and joined the grift train.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

. Soon Roddy will be able to hit a backbreaker that makes his opponent explode into a cartoonishly large amount of ribcages Mortal Kombat-style.

This is definitely what he has been building his entire career towards.

I think I'm more making this mistake of thinking about what other people would think while watching the show. I remember watching Sami Zayn debuting I. Nxt and they described him as a 14 year veteran and thinking "Jesus lads give him a chance". I know these people have been going since the early 2000s but I think I was more worried about hypothetical fans writing off Roddy (and others) as "some old guy".

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

If they run a show in allentown pa and don't at least give ian riccaboni, a man who cannot go 10 minutes without mentioning his allentown heritage, a segment if not a third mic, i will gigafrown.

its a rampage/collision taping so we should be good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hobbs

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
AEW's Coach Chris Hero, has a free indie show here with some ROH/AEW talent booked on it like Lee Moriarty, Beast Mortos, Bryan Keith, probably others i havent seen the full line up but Bryan Keith is wrestling a mummy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiALczbcAuM

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://x.com/almostbirthday/status/1779300252639506880

lol

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Long-Time Lurker posted:

It's a bit suspicious that a lot of the vanilla "Just enjoy wrestling" podcasts turned on AEW and joined the grift train.

From the tweet you posted, Cultaholic hasn’t gone anti AEW. Recently the Worst I’ve seen them go is saying they thought it wasn’t a good idea to post the video

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
I'm now watching Windy City Riot, surely Tony has thought about KENTA v Shibata at forbidden door?

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Spiffster posted:

From the tweet you posted, Cultaholic hasn’t gone anti AEW. Recently the Worst I’ve seen them go is saying they thought it wasn’t a good idea to post the video

I feel like Cultaholic less anti-AEW and just had a lot of WWE focused content.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cultaholic is British

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Alaois posted:

Cultaholic is British

can’t be stressed enough

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

it makes me wonder what name louis dangoor is using these days

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

WHAT> JUST> HAPPEND!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

There are definitely a few "let's enjoy wrestling :)" podcasts that went hard anti-AEW after a while, from what I hear secondhand. I don't really keep up with many podcasts at all let alone ones about wrestling but my friends said something about Tights & Fights getting a new team that are as blandly Pro-WWE-Wrestling-Podcast as you can get.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I think Will is going to get annoyed with them intervening in his business and they'll turn on him. He's too proud to have others fighting his battles and referring to him as a golden goose.

Yeah, I’d like him to be pissed that they injured Danielson because he wants to beat Danielson at his best.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
thinking about all the good wrestling i watched this weekend :)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

There are definitely a few "let's enjoy wrestling :)" podcasts that went hard anti-AEW after a while, from what I hear secondhand. I don't really keep up with many podcasts at all let alone ones about wrestling but my friends said something about Tights & Fights getting a new team that are as blandly Pro-WWE-Wrestling-Podcast as you can get.

They went from just enjoy wrestling to punk truthers. The show was only good when Open Mike Eagle was on it because he was the only dude who watched anything outside the bubble. He complimented my Hiromu bootleg shirt one time.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

👀👀👀👀👀

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i wish murderxbryan still did his everything beast wrestling podcast episodes because he was funny and liked aew, but i think hes got too much going on these days

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

graph posted:

thinking about all the good wrestling i watched this weekend :)

I wasn’t really hyped about Battle of the Belts but that ended up being one hell of an hour long show.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Collision was such a delightful show. Thinking about that Toni/AZM match again. So cool how they got dueling chants. This STARDOM crossover is gonna be a blast.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

WrestleTalk is another "Let's enjoy wrestling" podcast turned anti-AEW grifter, or at least their clickbait thumbnails are.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

it's actually pretty wild how this is one of the only places left on the internet that treats aew with any sort of fairness

not sure what happened recently but it really does seem like every other website / content creator just decided to poo poo on them all at once

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Orange Carlisle posted:

it's actually pretty wild how this is one of the only places left on the internet that treats aew with any sort of fairness

not sure what happened recently but it really does seem like every other website / content creator just decided to poo poo on them all at once

Cornette saw traffic for his lovely podcast SKYROCKET when he started making GBS threads on AEW and every other group of microphone dipshits who struggle to crack four digit views immediately jumped on the bandwagon

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Cornette saw traffic for his lovely podcast SKYROCKET when he started making GBS threads on AEW and every other group of microphone dipshits who struggle to crack four digit views immediately jumped on the bandwagon

I should have known that if something dumb was happening that cornette was behind it

he's so fuckin bitter about not being offered a job at aew

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!
I cherrypick episodes of Talk is Jericho, and I watch bits of Wrestling Observer on YT, but for the most part I can't stand wrestling related content. Most of them might as well be called 'The Bad Takes podcast'.

Jeroen fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 15, 2024

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jeroen posted:

'The Bad Takes podcast'.

if someone hasn't already taken that show title they definitely should

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Orange Carlisle posted:

The modern internet rewards this kind of behavior even more than tv used to decades ago. There's way more money in sucking off the dominant force while attacking their competitors. It's worked with all the maga blowhards and it seems to be working with the cornette style anti-aew stuff.

What a sad state of affairs for culture. We should never want to ingratiate ourselves to the dominant power, we should always be challenging their dominance.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Everything Elite was the best podcast, but they gave up too soon. Good the bad and the hungee has basically filled that void and are usually good. I guess smart wrestling fan is fine, but they're way too WWE brained after doing the show that long and seem to just complain nonstop about everything.

Or just listen to Between the Sheets for ten hours a week.

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!
I'd be perfectly fine discussing match quality between the two shows. The stuff Gunther does is awesome and I will always mark out for KO.

But when someone's argument boils down to 'my preferred product is more popular' then I mentally check out faster than the Kofi - Brock match.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the only wrestling podcast at all worth listening to is deadlock, it is known

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jeroen posted:

I cherrypick episodes of Talk is Jericho, and I watch bits of Wrestling Observer on YT, but for the most part I can't stand wrestling related content. Most of them might as well be called 'The Bad Takes podcast'.

This more than anything else is what turned me off of OSW. It was fun when they ripped on the worst parts of 90s WCW and WWE but holy poo poo their taste in modern stuff is terrible. Deadlock is way more fun since those guys know they're numbskulls at the end of the day.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

CombineThresher posted:

This more than anything else is what turned me off of OSW. It was fun when they ripped on the worst parts of 90s WCW and WWE but holy poo poo their taste in modern stuff is terrible. Deadlock is way more fun since those guys know they're numbskulls at the end of the day.

I stopped watching OSW before they reviewed AEW stuff, how bad was that?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

shiksa posted:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Majinfoose posted:

I stopped watching OSW before they reviewed AEW stuff, how bad was that?

They've had some dumb takes on AEW, but it's more that they think the Platonic ideal of wrestling is ponderous, boring HHH matches and can't accept that there are different approaches to selling and ring psychology out there in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

shiksa posted:

Even Deadlock had some bad takes on AEW when they were reviewing it, but since they stopped it has been all fun.