Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alternate universe where Louisoix was the protagonist of XIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I am so loving excited.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Older, darker-skin scarred elezen with a beard, this is the exact best beneficiary of the graphical upgrade.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

i basically never fantasia but that's making me want to give my character a beard

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Louisoix?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Lewisoix

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

in terms of which setting i use when I'm the character creator, i inevitably flip through all of them and rotate the character so i can see the lighting from every angle

it's not perfect, I've definitely dropped two grand on a cut and dye, only to go immediately back to the inn when I'm out in the sun for real, but i figure i might as well cover all my bases

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm kinda suprised they didn't throw in a Fantasia into the collector's pot given how the update could tweak things out of place.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
They didn't need to because they're planning on giving one away for free to everyone.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

HackensackBackpack posted:

I'm happy with this. I'm not looking to upgrade just yet, so this will do just fine. It only really dropped during the big field battle. I tend to play with a lot of the particle effects turned down anyway.

Looking forward to the manbun haircut.

oh man i've never seen face 4 elezen in the wild

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

It’s not a very exact comparison of course because the lighting and hair are different, but here I am side by side, exact same facial data. I put the 7.0 face in the best lighting I could get in the benchmark to try and be fair to it so it looks better than it did in the benchmark video where she looked scuffed as heck.
Keeper of the moon miqo seems to have seen way more changes than some other races. I notice some of the races dont seem to have the same care put into preserving the features as others. I wonder if time constraints made them abandon that?

I’m honestly pretty heart broken. Doesn’t look like the same cat to me. A lot of the details that made me pick the face in the first place are gone. The natural and wispy brows and lashes, the button nose, the chubby face, and the slight part between the lips that you can see from some angles are all now absent. Doesn’t overall look bad but too many details are off that it adds up to a different face and I honestly don’t feel like it’s enough of a visual upgrade to be worth that loss of personality. The eye textures were actually even lower quality in the benchmark when I zoomed in. While watching the benchmark video I kinda got Sims vibes from the facial animations. Especially around the mouth. Face looks real goofy on the boat. I’m someone who loves my character and never used my starting fanta so maybe I’m more sensitive to the changes than others, but I’m bummed. I don’t think changing features with a fanta will fix this for me. Kinda cooled my excitement for Dawntrail sadly.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 16, 2024

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Steady Ember in HD! Mostly just got better looking more natural skin and a better looking beard & hair. Wonder if I might do a hairstyle change, I've rocked a few different ones throughout the expansions...

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Cheap Shot posted:

It’s not a very exact comparison of course because the lighting and hair are different, but here I am side by side, exact same facial data. I put the 7.0 face in the best lighting I could get in the benchmark to try and be fair to it so it looks better than it did in the benchmark video where she looked scuffed as heck.
Keeper of the moon miqo seems to have seen way more changes than some other races. I notice some of the races dont seem to have the same care put into preserving the features as others. I wonder if time constraints made them abandon that?

I’m honestly pretty heart broken. Doesn’t look like the same cat to me. A lot of the details that made me pick the face in the first place are gone. The natural and wispy brows and lashes, the button nose, the chubby face, and the slight part between the lips that you can see from some angles are all now absent. Doesn’t overall look bad but too many details are off that it adds up to a different face and I honestly don’t feel like it’s enough of a visual upgrade to be worth that loss of personality. The eye textures were actually even lower quality in the benchmark when I zoomed in. While watching the benchmark video I kinda got Sims vibes from the facial animations. Especially around the mouth. Face looks real goofy on the boat. I’m someone who loves my character and never used my starting fanta so maybe I’m more sensitive to the changes than others, but I’m bummed. I don’t think changing features with a fanta will fix this for me. Kinda cooled my excitement for Dawntrail sadly.

Yeah I think you are exactly the kind of player is most likely to be affected by the change and that does suck. I'm sorry about that. For what it's worth while I see the difference your two cats there look the same to me - but I haven't spent hours staring at one of them.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

FFXIV 7.0, or as it will come to be known, the Waifu Destroyer update.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

lines posted:

Yeah I think you are exactly the kind of player is most likely to be affected by the change and that does suck. I'm sorry about that. For what it's worth while I see the difference your two cats there look the same to me - but I haven't spent hours staring at one of them.

Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate it. And I’m glad you understand. Ive had a very bad life and ffxiv is absolutely my escape from that. Ive been staring at this face for years. My screenshot folder is 20+GB. It’s like looking in a mirror and seeing a stranger for me. I didn’t think it would be so hard on me but here we are.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cheap Shot posted:

Thanks for your sympathy. I appreciate it. And I’m glad you understand. Ive had a very bad life and ffxiv is absolutely my escape from that. Ive been staring at this face for years. My screenshot folder is 20+GB. It’s like looking in a mirror and seeing a stranger for me. I didn’t think it would be so hard on me but here we are.

If it helps at all, I recently fantasia'd back to my default look after changing for a prank, and I took the time to make some changes, including to her skin tone and now haircut. And she does look different - but honestly after a bit of time she looked like herself again to me. I wouldn't be surprised if you manage something similar. Replay your fave bit of the story with her, when 7.0 drops?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cheap Shot posted:

:same:

I took some old/new pics of my bnnuy and they changed his nose, eyebrows, lips, and chin so he looks p downgraded overall compared to EW. He's only a Face 2 so it's not as bad as other faces still it looks weird to me since he's just so smooth now.

My hype for DT declined a lot now knowing his face will be different in 2 months for no real reason.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I really hope this doesn't kill the enthusiasm for the expansion in general (ironically it's really hyped me up - my girl looks great).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My mooncat made it through looking pretty much the same but I'm also not much of a screenshotter so I haven't really been staring at her face that much.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

If you really dislike the changes, and you can't find a way to use the character creater to fix it, you should make a post detailing the issues on the official forums.

I know it's a bit of a dump there but it's the most likely place for the devs to see it and there will still be changes/updates to the models forthcoming. I believe after endwalker benchmark people left feedback about male bunboys and some of it made it in for release.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

lines posted:

I really hope this doesn't kill the enthusiasm for the expansion in general (ironically it's really hyped me up - my girl looks great).

It has for me sadly. I was even thinking about trying to refund my preorder but I don’t think I’ll go quite that far. Honestly, the repeated theme of “Vacation for the WoL!” really resonated with me. I need a break from life so bad and my favourite thing has always been to go to the beach in game. I’ve been trying to get a house in Mist every week since 2019, and I’ve wanted one ever since I played in the ARR closed beta test in 2013. I was beyond excited to take my video game self insert on this vacation to find new beaches to get away from it all. I was even thinking of making a little travel blog for my in game photography. It’s not gonna be my character going now though. I saved what’s left of reality! Give me my vacation! I need this.

Mainwaring posted:

If you really dislike the changes, and you can't find a way to use the character creater to fix it, you should make a post detailing the issues on the official forums.

I know it's a bit of a dump there but it's the most likely place for the devs to see it and there will still be changes/updates to the models forthcoming. I believe after endwalker benchmark people left feedback about male bunboys and some of it made it in for release.

I debated doing that for a while and eventually decided to since I care so much about it. I dont know if anything will come of it but I just tried to be as polite and articulate about my concerns as I can. I just hate drama and the social anxiety is rough. I’ve barely even posted here anymore for years. I hate struggling and feeling like I’m alone, screaming into the void.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
This is going to sound a bit 'tech support asking obvious questions', but: Did you actually run her in the benchmark, or did you just load her into the character creator?

People who are SUPER nerdy about gpose and all that have noted that the character creator lighting is atypically 'off'--even moreso than usual, where it's already not especially game-accurate--but that the lighting in the actual benchmark sequence is just fine and things look great. Speaking anecdotally, pulling up my character does seem to have a bit of a different, worse skintone in the creator.

Those same nerds incidentally recommend that Thanalan backdrop as being the most game-lighting-accurate, for whatever that's worth.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dunno if its still the case but when WoW updated their models there was an option to still use the old ones if you wanted. Bummer they didn't have the same choice here.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

the new animation system cant use the old models

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah the lighting etc has a big effect

Old:

New, looks flat and lifeless:

New, actually doing something, looks fine:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Cleretic posted:

This is going to sound a bit 'tech support asking obvious questions', but: Did you actually run her in the benchmark, or did you just load her into the character creator?

People who are SUPER nerdy about gpose and all that have noted that the character creator lighting is atypically 'off'--even moreso than usual, where it's already not especially game-accurate--but that the lighting in the actual benchmark sequence is just fine and things look great. Speaking anecdotally, pulling up my character does seem to have a bit of a different, worse skintone in the creator.

Those same nerds incidentally recommend that Thanalan backdrop as being the most game-lighting-accurate, for whatever that's worth.

Yeah absolutely. She looks much worse in the benchmark itself. To the point where I question how this is supposed to be an upgrade. I ended up choosing the most favourable lighting I could find in the benchmark creator to not be seen as trying to bias it, and give the face a fair shake.

Like look at this goofy poo poo. She looks like she has an underbite in the zoom in and then her mouth moves so weirdly. I saw other people showing off the new mouth rigging and it…I worry 56 additional face bones may have been a mistake.

Hmmmnnngggghh

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

You should probably uncheck the "swallowed a bee" box before booting up the benchmark cos wow

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Mainwaring posted:

You should probably uncheck the "swallowed a bee" box before booting up the benchmark cos wow

They made her look like an intentional bee eater. Just keeps getting loose and eating bees. Cant keep her away from that spicy sky candy.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's pretty strange they removed the mooncat fangs

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I like the new femme Elezen mouth movement but apparently a lot of people don't.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

that first "emote" on the boat where the character opens their mouth and the smiles a little looks very wrong to me

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

lines posted:

I like the new femme Elezen mouth movement but apparently a lot of people don't.

I barely even noticed them (if you want me to notice and praise a graphical update, you show me nice water, not nice people), but when it was mentioned I did think it was a little unusual as a decision. Going by the character expressed by their emotes, femezens have a very reserved and quiet personality, so it feels a little weird that they're being more expressive for specifically and only the mouth.

But then again, if I think about the prominent NPC femezens, the main one I land on is Ysayle, and yeah, she actually does seem like the sort of person who'd be very reserved in terms of body movement but give the loudest, angriest speech you've ever heard.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I barely even noticed them (if you want me to notice and praise a graphical update, you show me nice water, not nice people), but when it was mentioned I did think it was a little unusual as a decision. Going by the character expressed by their emotes, femezens have a very reserved and quiet personality, so it feels a little weird that they're being more expressive for specifically and only the mouth.

But then again, if I think about the prominent NPC femezens, the main one I land on is Ysayle, and yeah, she actually does seem like the sort of person who'd be very reserved in terms of body movement but give the loudest, angriest speech you've ever heard.

It's pretty consistent with how I think of Lila RPing. Still waters running deep, strong emotions that suddenly burst out into passion. I think it's been there in the emotes before.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

:yeah:

I did post on OF on my old decade account in the Viera change megathread too. I'm not sure if it's too late or not but it felt better than doing nothing and waiting until DT.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Onean posted:

They didn't need to because they're planning on giving one away for free to everyone.

Oh. Huh. Missed that.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
It took me a bit to get my main to where I like her. I'm pretty protective of her appearance, too, after so many years, but I realized after playing with the creator that a lot of what I didn't like about the changes were because a lot of the options were simply shifted.

The default appearance import had way too big of a gap between her nose and mouth, the eyes weren't right, and her jawline was completely messed up. I went in and got her to where I'm happy, and in the new picture below, most of the main facial options are actually a completely different number than they were under the old system.

I'm very happy with how she looked in the benchmark; she's the classic angry lizard I've known for nearly eight years now, but only after changing most of the settings. They just don't seem to line up with the numbers we knew before for some of the races.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh. Huh. Missed that.

Probably because they only said it off-handedly at a Fanfest panel and didn't say it in any real official contexts.

It sounded like it wasn't certain, in fact; it's something they want to do rather than are doing. Like maybe there's some other things that have to be done before that. I can't imagine it won't happen, but it might need signoff from someone outside the development team; by my purely gut-feel guess, it might just be that S-E doesn't just let the team give away something for free that we usually have to pay real money for.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Probably because they only said it off-handedly at a Fanfest panel and didn't say it in any real official contexts.

It sounded like it wasn't certain, in fact; it's something they want to do rather than are doing. Like maybe there's some other things that have to be done before that. I can't imagine it won't happen, but it might need signoff from someone outside the development team; by my purely gut-feel guess, it might just be that S-E doesn't just let the team give away something for free that we usually have to pay real money for.

If YoshiP said on the stage at fanfest that everyone is getting a free fantasia then it's happening, he's more than senior enough to sign off on that. When he said he wasns't sure how they'll do it he was talking about the mechanics of delivering it to everyone

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m not sure what the bunny boy angst is because I’ve squinted at everyone complaining on Twitter and their boys look the same.

Hell, my face 1 boy looks not just the same, but even better. The only change I’d maybe consider is darkening his skin a bit, but that’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while.

My main looks a little different in the CC because the Face 2 Fem Ra eyes look even more hooded now and the lipstick is a little too matte. But then I actually ran her in the Benchmark and she made the normal Fem Ra facial expressions and she magically looked on model for me again. I think I’m just not that used to seeing her in a neutral expression from the front. I’m either looking at her back while actually playing the game or she’s making canned emotes in cutscenes, which is where I’ve read a lot into her personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Foul Egg posted:

FFXIV 7.0, or as it will come to be known, the Waifu Destroyer update.

waifu is a sexist slur op