Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

the wet skin is mostly character creator, it seems to apply wet weather effects for some reason sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It is pretty odd how they seem to have biffed the light settings in the character creator that comes with the benchmark, and I do hope they resolve that before the expansion goes live. Most people's characters seem to look just fine once they get into the benchmark so it's almost as if they imported the point and ambient lighting from the existing creator without checking to see how it would behave in the new lighting engine.

Adjusting the gamma correction to 0 also helps, no idea why it defaults to 50.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

HackensackBackpack posted:

I don't think we're talking enough about the manatee minion that shows up at the end with high or better.

The manatee is Extremely Important and I'm going to beeline to whatever element of DT gives it to me, like I did with the Fat Cat back in ARR

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the character creator's always been terrible its just that they engineered a situation where everyone will be inspecting it very closely

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Also new expansion races with another race's lore names are an important tradition. I still see a fair number of bunboys with an obvious Miqo'te (or Lalafell) lore name and, you know, respect the hustle

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
yeah they biffed it in that they made no changes to the character creator scenes, which made it go from awful to how can it even be this bad seriously what are you doing

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Seriously it's just silly to try and make a comparison and open with "Look I know they're uncomparable because the lighting is completely different" when one of the key features of the graphical update is an actual lighting engine that affects the models and not painted on reflections.

Of course they're not going to look the same when one your basically standing in forced even lighting and the other is the equivalent of standing 2 inches from a fluorescent light bulb.

It's also incredible how much a hairstyle can completely change how a face looks.

I do think it is frustrating that they don't have all of the unlockable hairstyles in the benchmark, but then again the benchmark isn't there for you to create your perfect princess, it is there to see if your computer explodes.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Femroe changes seem on the subtler side. At least for my options. They lightened the shadow under their nose, and they did something to their eyes. The blue room was ironically the easiest one for me to do compare shots.

Old and new:

Old/New:

She looks off in the creator to me, but in world it's all good.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 16, 2024

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's especially silly to then take that and say "oh I'm not excited about the new ezpac because of this."

I didn't say this at all buddy. My comment is about them finding issues with their character when other people have stated they can't see any difference. It's not silly to see massive differences that some people can't discern themselves!

Note Block fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 16, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The animations in the benchmark give me a kind of weird uncanny valley thing for my wol. Like some of these movements are too subtle and nuanced, my girl goes at one speed and that's punching fist into palm

e: and nodding

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The original person who started this whole thing made it pretty clear why it upset them and why it dampened their excitement for the expac...Don't think it was all that unreasonable of an emotional response even if I think it'll prob look better in different lighting.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Bard AF looks pretty nice. And is that a Guitar bow?!

Dataminers have gotten better looks at the AF sets.
https://imgur.com/a/RqJP2mr

The Bard bow is amazing.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gruckles posted:

The Bard bow is amazing.

Oh hell yeah am I going to rock that

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Gruckles posted:

The Bard bow is amazing.

Anyways, here's Wonderwall

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

On the more positive side, my midlander Hyur came out looking fantastic. I can't test it with the hair that I use, and I might end up changing hair colour, but the facial features and textures turned out great.

I think the midlander and elezen models are probably most improved after opening both character creators and staring at them to try and see what the wailing is all about

highlanders and roe also look better imo

e: all of the models look better

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 16, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish Dancer outfits would have a bit more variety to them.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Gruckles posted:

The Bard bow is amazing.

Oh drat, all my main jobs are lookin good. I really like the look of that Summoner set.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gruckles posted:

The Bard bow is amazing.

Summoner looks really nice as well

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

I wish Dancer outfits would have a bit more variety to them.

Yeah, Dancer, Dragoon and Warrior (and probably others but those stand out to me) feel like they're always going back to the same place.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Gruckles posted:

The Bard bow is amazing.

a blm af set that isn't awful, hell yeah

war is the most underwhelming

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gruckles posted:

The Bard bow is amazing.

Summoner main here real happy with how Summoner looks.

Does Red Mage not get a hat?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, Dancer, Dragoon and Warrior (and probably others but those stand out to me) feel like they're always going back to the same place.

White Mages have been wearing the same outfit since 1987.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kazinsal posted:

White Mages have been wearing the same outfit since 1987.

Can't beat perfection.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

That Summoner outfit just looks comfy.

Monk's got the Hogan red and yellow, brother!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

this is every class. they all have their established aesthetic and they really try to stick to that. white mage is always going to wear white+red. scholar is always going to look like the most book-dumpable nerd on campus. i would not be able to tell you which expansion any given paladin set came from. that's just how it be

that said i really like the warrior set, the tattoos are sick

Electric Phantasm posted:

i assumed they loaded up the characters from the benchmark that were wearing each set, but it's weird cause there's definitely an au ra wearing the reaper set with the hood at the end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gunbreaker and samurai look good so im satisfied

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
NIN and SAM look solid, love the SAM weapon this time around. Probably going to have to finally level BRD for guitar bow, and BLM for *waves at entire AF set*

Some day a RDM set will come along that makes me change my RDM glam, but this is not that day.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

some of the datamines are just missing the hat piece

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hellioning posted:

I, personally, am complaining about the price of name changes because I want to be a female hrothgar now but my current name does not work for that...
While I suspect I will never Fantasia, this is why I left the “ P’ “ off Morwyn’s name.

Well that and gently caress trad suncat culture.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

drat I love the hand tattoos on BLM

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Gruckles posted:

That AST set is gorgeous if only for the texture on the fabric

Actually, the other sets have pretty good texture work as well, but AST makes it really stand out

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Summoner's got a good look there. That's a nice set.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You cannot convince me that every DNC AF armor isn't the same thing every time.

It took how long for them to start going with a rock star theme for BRD?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Everybody thinking that VIP is gonna be the breakout new DT main but the PIC set there being absolutely magnificent style.

Yeah DNC really is the same armor set at least 5 times now. :haw:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Pld isn't doing anything for me but we just had the best pld set ever and it's the only one that'll be updated at release so I can't complain.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah they seem to vary between really good or rehashed from the last couple expansions. But to play devils advocate, it has to be hard to make yet another set for BLM / WHM / DRG or even PLD given how many sets they already have and how iconic the base look of the class is

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DRG was damned the moment they conceived the class tbh because you can only iterate on Kain so many times.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

They should iterate on Mog instead

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Funky Valentine posted:

DRG was damned the moment they conceived the class tbh because you can only iterate on Kain so many times.

This AF gear should randomly set all of its stats to 0 before going back to normal for maximum authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Note Block posted:

I didn't say this at all buddy. My comment is about them finding issues with their character when other people have stated they can't see any difference. It's not silly to see massive differences that some people can't discern themselves!

The person you quoted did, silly.