Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Doltos posted:

So if kids love it then I guess they shouldn't have watered down the movie

what did they water down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah you bought that poo poo from book orders!! It's a kids book of spooky stories! It and Goosebumps!

The third book has one of the two stories that really freaked me out as a kid (the spider bite) and I was glad/grossed out that it made it into the movie. The movie wasn't really very good (not enough energy imo) but for teen horror it does the trick and is respectable with great adaptations of some of the more recognizable monster illustrations. The other story in those books that really freaked me out was the one with the three old men in the nursing home and the one near the window would tell the other two about all the sights he saw out of the window. It ended with the one furthest from the window conspiring to kill the others so he could move to the bed next to the window. The illustration and punchline always made my stomach twist, it was probably the most existential story there.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
harold didnt skin anyone but you cant have a puppet flay someone alive in a movie for teens its not proper

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kvlt! posted:

what did they water down

I felt like there was a CGI sheen to everything that made it feel pretty clinical. I picture something like Begotten when I think of those illustrations but the movie felt more like the new IT. Still harrowing imagery that would give a kid nightmares but not exactly as impactful as the illustrations. They also changed a lot of the stories to just be intimidating monster rather than the doom implication. Like Harold was making people spew out corn which was way less harrowing than him skinning someone and drying it on the roof.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how do you show someone getting skinned and dried out on a roof in a kids movie

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

you gotta make sure they are established as a bully beforehand

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

Definitely marketed towards children but it was a well known book for hosed up illustrations and stories. I read it as a kid but I dunno if kids were supposed to be looking at this:

My friend and I photocopied that girl image when we were like 10 and put it under his sister's sheets and she screamed real loud when she went to bed and we got in a lot of trouble. Being a kid owns.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Tim Whatley posted:

My friend and I photocopied that girl image when we were like 10 and put it under his sister's sheets and she screamed real loud when she went to bed and we got in a lot of trouble. Being a kid owns.

lol

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

david_a posted:

Also have to give a big shout out to the Crestwood House Monster Series, aka the orange monster books

Highly coveted items in the elementary school library, let me tell you

I'd never heard of these but I already love them

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

david_a posted:

Also have to give a big shout out to the Crestwood House Monster Series, aka the orange monster books

these were what got me into universal horror as a kid. badass books

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and how i found out about frankenstein's monster throwing that child into the river lol

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Scary Stories can be PG and good, the problem was the film wasn’t very good. A few cool creature shots tho.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

and how i found out about frankenstein's monster throwing that child into the river lol

I don't think I learned it from that book but I definitely read a film history book in the same vein from my school library that talked about how that scene was censored. owned

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
What PG spooky film or show has the best creature design? My gut pick is The Other Mother from Coraline.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I don't think I learned it from that book but I definitely read a film history book in the same vein from my school library that talked about how that scene was censored. owned

it could have been that book i would grab anything horror related from the library lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

High Warlord Zog posted:

What PG spooky film or show has the best creature design? My gut pick is The Other Mother from Coraline.

the troll sfrom ernest scared stupid

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

david_a posted:

the only time i ever got saturday detention, and i genuinely do not remember why i did, it was in the library and i discovered these and spent the entire detention period reading them and now i post in horror thread: lightning, uh, finds a grave

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WeaponX posted:

Scary Stories can be PG and good, the problem was the film wasn’t very good. A few cool creature shots tho.

I agree. Didn’t really work for me honestly

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

High Warlord Zog posted:

Obvious answer aside

Poltergeist

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

High Warlord Zog posted:

Gremlins
The Witches

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kvlt! posted:

You can't but this statement and that it wasn't watered down for kids has trouble co-existing. Movie didn't work for me which is why I wanted to see a more accurate version to the books. Also not for nothing I don't think kids are aware of the book anymore, seems like you could easily make it for the generation that grew up on it that's all 30+ now.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

High Warlord Zog posted:

big fan of all the creature design (both heroic and antagonistic) in return to oz

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

High Warlord Zog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G93OIEJLJE&t=45s

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

What PG spooky film or show has the best creature design?
My vote goes to Unicron from Transformers (1984); it is so big and so ominous, and moves with such industrial pain as it... processes an entire planet. That opening 3 minutes is literal nightmare fuel, like Junji Ito was invited to do the cold open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lo7JPLJUUU
(warning: flashing lights :catdrugs: )

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the troll sfrom ernest scared stupid
those were literallly the Killer Klowns from the Chiodo movies, the PD got them from storage in the studio's props vault and repainted them.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 17, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

You can't but this statement and that it wasn't watered down for kids has trouble co-existing. Movie didn't work for me which is why I wanted to see a more accurate version to the books. Also not for nothing I don't think kids are aware of the book anymore, seems like you could easily make it for the generation that grew up on it that's all 30+ now.

I think in the end it's a series where those illustrations were the thing that people remember much more so than the actual stories. I have fond memories of reading the books but the memories of the stories are very vague, it's the illustrations that made the lasting impression.

So I guess my point is that it was a really tough thing to attempt. You have these illustrations that in a way are iconic, but for most people they don't have actual stories attached to them and the demographic that has the nostalgia connection is pretty old at this point. Maybe in hindsight not the smartest move to try to make it into a feature film because it's not like the usual 80s/90s nostalgia property where you have popular characters and successful storylines already established to work from.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Props to the Netflix Dark Crystal prequel show for fully committing to recreating the nightmarishness of the most frightening Henson and Henson adjacent kids media from the 80s and early 90s. I don't know if any children watched it (I feel like 10 hours of Dark Crystal isn't exactly something that would appeal to present days kids), but if they did the episode where Mother Aughra removes her eye and gives it to a little spider critter to carry around the Skeksis palace as they start to mass murder the Gelflings must've been the source of a lot of nightmares. The payoff to the subplot with the Mark Hamill voiced Mad Science Skeksis was some delightfully nasty stuff.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 17, 2024

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

my faves are Mogwai and the Gremlins from Gremlins

or Beetlejuice and his surrounding monsters, maybe

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Basebf555 posted:

I think in the end it's a series where those illustrations were the thing that people remember much more so than the actual stories. I have fond memories of reading the books but the memories of the stories are very vague, it's the illustrations that made the lasting impression.

So I guess my point is that it was a really tough thing to attempt. You have these illustrations that in a way are iconic, but for most people they don't have actual stories attached to them and the demographic that has the nostalgia connection is pretty old at this point. Maybe in hindsight not the smartest move to try to make it into a feature film because it's not like the usual 80s/90s nostalgia property where you have popular characters and successful storylines already established to work from.

I reread them all like a year ago and the stories are geared towards early grade reading levels. Pretty simplistic and couched in the idea that you'd be telling them at a slumber party or something. The imagination is definitely filled in by the illustrations but some of the stories have some legit scares. The old lady going to the mass of the dead because she woke up too early for church or the guy who woke up at night and saw a hearse with the driver saying room for one more, going to work the next day and seeing the same guy in the elevator and then the elevator crashing. Aforementioned scarecrow flaying a guy, the bride that locks herself in the chest during hide and seek, all hosed up and memorable.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Shrecknet posted:

those were literallly the Killer Klowns from the Chiodo movies, the PD got them from storage in the studio's props vault and repainted them.

thats why they own

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Props to the Netflix Dark Crystal prequel show for fully committing to recreating the nightmarishness of the most frightening Henson and Henson adjacent kids media from the 80s and early 90s. I don't know if any children watched it (I feel like 10 hours of Dark Crystal isn't exactly something that would appeal to present days kids), but if they did the episode where Mother Aughra removes her eye and gives it to a little spider critter to carry around the Skeksis palace as they start to mass murder the Gelflings must've been the source of a lot of nightmares. The payoff to the subplot with the Mark Hamill voiced Mad Science Skeksis was some delightfully nasty stuff.

Is the prequel show good? I never bothered to check it out, but you just described some pretty cool things.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is the prequel show good? I never bothered to check it out, but you just described some pretty cool things.

i really liked it and i saw the original only as an adult so no nostalgia tint here

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kvlt! posted:

i really liked it and i saw the original only as an adult so no nostalgia tint here

Sheeit.

Maybe I’m a Dark Crystal prequel show kind of guy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

its good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they used as many practical effects as they could its tight

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

can any of you help me remember a movie I rented from blockbuster in like 2008-09? I was pretty sure there was a killer clown but my friend disagrees. I’ve looked through all the killer clown
movies of this era and haven’t found it so he might be right. there was definitely a bad guy chasing the group. I remember it being gritty and kind of aesthetically a SAW ripoff but a lot more brown & rust. i remember a dessicated corpse looking guy getting fluids transferred out of him. I remember the girl escaping by climbing up and out into a shack on a frozen lake then burning the shack down. im truly sorry for this terrible post

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Dark Crystal show was good and did some unexpected things, the one problem is the one all heavily serialized streaming shows have where episodes feel a little overlong because they don’t quite know how to pace out the story.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

can any of you help me remember a movie I rented from blockbuster in like 2008-09? I was pretty sure there was a killer clown but my friend disagrees. I’ve looked through all the killer clown
movies of this era and haven’t found it so he might be right. there was definitely a bad guy chasing the group. I remember it being gritty and kind of aesthetically a SAW ripoff but a lot more brown & rust. i remember a dessicated corpse looking guy getting fluids transferred out of him. I remember the girl escaping by climbing up and out into a shack on a frozen lake then burning the shack down. im truly sorry for this terrible post

Dark Ride (2006)?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

Dark Ride (2006)?

no but the spirit of this post is very close. it was not something I’ve ever heard of before or since, in the sense that it was a pretty lovely b movie that took itself completely seriously. i will watch dark ride i love rides

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

your description is ringing a serious bell in my head too ima dig a little more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Kvlt! posted:

your description is ringing a serious bell in my head too ima dig a little more

appreciate you. my buddy also said the end came down to the two girls of the group and the killler got pushed into some vials/whatever he was trying to kill them with.