Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mr. Kite posted:

Who needs the playoffs when you've got good vibes?

Neither of them made the playoffs, only one had noted piece of poo poo Patrick Kane on their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/DMaetzMedia/status/1780607717226283512?t=bNLvEOZlycsm1JFfENuajA&s=19

(Starts humming Stevie Wonder's Superstition)

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mr. Fish posted:

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1780602454259982711

Oh yeah this lineup is preseason as hell. 11 F 7 D, no Barzal or Dobson? Not even an Engvall or Fasching? Oliver Wahlstrom on the first line??? Lmao who give a poo poo

I'm surprised they aren't sitting more of their old guys like Bortuzzo, Martin, Palmieri, Lee, Nelson

I hope Dobson is ok to go for the playoffs though.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 17, 2024

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m just so happy the Penguins ain’t playing for poo poo tonight. Gonna be an exhibition preseason type game between them and the Islanders.

Why? The Pens absolutely would have lost this game. The Islanders always beat them in games that matter. Isles have some sort of black magic voodoo over them.

The Pens getting eliminated on an empty net goal is kinda funnier though I suppose

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Are we doing a playoff prediction thread again this year? I ran the thread during the last playoff cycle and I still feel like I did a lovely job running it - honestly I just ran out of steam as we headed into the finals.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/gambo987/status/1780677269993984262?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

World class org from start to finish, as if they gave this rear end in a top hat the (very faint) opportunity to own another team

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've seen some takes that this is Bettman's fault as if he isn't the reason they didn't split town a decade ago.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

kill me now posted:

I'm surprised they aren't sitting more of their old guys like Bortuzzo, Martin, Palmieri, Lee, Nelson

I hope Dobson is ok to go for the playoffs thought.

Last update I saw is he's skating on his own. Fingers crossed.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1780688880645357825

I have never heard about this, the Portland part.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

How does this work legally, can the NHL normally just seize a franchise from an owner and give it to someone else? Or was this some special condition built into them being allowed to play in a 5000 seat college arena?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

tinstaach posted:

How does this work legally, can the NHL normally just seize a franchise from an owner and give it to someone else? Or was this some special condition built into them being allowed to play in a 5000 seat college arena?

I think the idea I've heard is that the NHL is willing to "buy" the team from the owner of the Coyotes for 1 billion (probably more than it's worth tbh) and then flip it to the Salt Lake City guy for 1.2 billion.. the extra 200 million being something that the Salt Lake City guy is willing to pay to the league to distribute to the other 31 franchises as essentially a relocation fee.

I imagine if there is some clause that is forcing Muerelo to sell the Coyotes back to the league it's likely related to the fact that he's not been able to get a deal in place to build or lease an arena that meets NHL standards yeah, but I would just be guessing on that point.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

tinstaach posted:

Legally maybe?

The reason the league is being super nice to Mureulo is so it doesn't end up in court. The Coyotes are not currently worth 1 billion dollars and the owner should never get to have the shot at an expansion team but Bettman is doing that so that its all legal and signed vs it ending up in court.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How the gently caress is Utah seen as something good. Bettman just hates Quebec that much??

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

How the gently caress is Utah seen as something good. Bettman just hates Quebec that much??

The Arizona situation needs to be resolved and Ryan Smith has money, the will, and an arena. Utah also has the corporate sponsors which Quebec City really doesn't have.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Legally, I'm assuming the NHL has a GTFO clause in its bylaws considering that's the reason it's called the NHL today. The original NHA folded because the Toronto owner was such an rear end in a top hat the rest of the league No Homered him and made the NHL because they didn't have a way to kick him out of the league. I would guess fixing that would have been a priority when starting up the new league.

The NBA and NFL have also done forced sales for the Clippers and Commanders and the NBA pulled a similar move by buying the Hornets (though they kept the team for a bit rather than insta flipping them). I would be shocked if all leagues didn't have similar rules.

Hell, this isn't even the first time the league has had to step in and sell the Coyotes off.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Isentropy posted:

The Arizona situation needs to be resolved and Ryan Smith has money, the will, and an arena. Utah also has the corporate sponsors which Quebec City really doesn't have.

And doesn't require divisional realignment again.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Nobody is gonna be mentally prepared for the Arizona-Atlanta expansion announcement in a year or 2

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I want 50 teams so everyone’s bottom-six is full of these guys

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

shyduck posted:

Nobody is gonna be mentally prepared for the Arizona-Atlanta expansion announcement in a year or 2

They already said they’re exploring Atlanta again. At least I think I remember they said that.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Vintersorg posted:

Utah Saints knew that something good was going to happen, that's probably it

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

mennoknight posted:

Utah Saints knew that something good was going to happen, that's probably it

Bless you/drat you for making me go watch that video on YouTube. Just wow my middle school years.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:negative:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
This Leonard won't be leaping!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He wants another chance at the NCAA championship.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
probably smart

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is he gonna try to hit the open market a la Justin Schultz

that loophole still exists right?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

He wants another chance at the NCAA championship.

Yes and it's not a loophole. If you're willing to delay the start of your pro career for 4 years, you get to be a free agent. That pretty much applies to everyone.

Everyone gets to be an FA 4 years after their draft year. Europeans have the same rules, there's just no point in not coming over early and running the ELC clock asap. Junior players can do the same (except they go back into the draft after 2 years, but they'd still be an FA after 4).

It's just that NCAA is the only route that's attractive enough for people to consider it. And even then, it costs millions. Like Adam Fox is in the second year of his second contract so he's made his ELC and $19 million so far.

His draftmate Matt Tkachuk is also on the second year of a $9.5 million deal, but he's banked his ELC and an entire $21 million bridge contract. Auston Matthews is finishing off his $58 million second contract.

So Fox lit between $21 and $39 million on fire to pick his team.

The only guys that don't get to be FAs are KHL dudes since there's no KHL-NHL transfer agreement that allows guys to break their contracts to come over like the other Euro leagues.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

why would it be seen as something bad

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

Yes and it's not a loophole. If you're willing to delay the start of your pro career for 4 years, you get to be a free agent. That pretty much applies to everyone.

Everyone gets to be an FA 4 years after their draft year. Europeans have the same rules, there's just no point in not coming over early and running the ELC clock asap. Junior players can do the same (except they go back into the draft after 2 years, but they'd still be an FA after 4).

It's just that NCAA is the only route that's attractive enough for people to consider it. And even then, it costs millions. Like Adam Fox is in the second year of his second contract so he's made his ELC and $19 million so far.

His draftmate Matt Tkachuk is also on the second year of a $9.5 million deal, but he's banked his ELC and an entire $21 million bridge contract. Auston Matthews is finishing off his $58 million second contract.

So Fox lit between $21 and $39 million on fire to pick his team.

The only guys that don't get to be FAs are KHL dudes since there's no KHL-NHL transfer agreement that allows guys to break their contracts to come over like the other Euro leagues.

Ryan would’ve been drafted higher in other years, that was a helluva draft class led by Bedard. I don’t think he’s trying to get to free agency, he has to know he won’t develop any higher than his current level by staying in college year after year. All his line mates are staying too and I honestly do think he just wants one more shot at it and one more year of college life. He’ll come to the Caps after next season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If he's the sort that weighs "make 900k+ next year or maybe win a meaningless championship" and picks the championship that's actually the exact sort of dumb you want in a hockey player so... it's not a terrible sign I guess

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He’s also got some NIL deals going on while at college, so he’s making some money from it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jfresh preditions from the start of this season:

With 2 wins Edmonton could finish dead on. Calgary -19 points, Vancouver +17 points.

Rangers were projected to finish 12th but finished first.

lol New Jersey

San Jose is currenly 24 points lower than predicted.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 18, 2024

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

lol New Jersey

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Powershift posted:

Jfresh preditions from the start of this season:

With 2 wins Edmonton could finish dead on. Calgary -19 points, Vancouver +17 points.

Rangers were projected to finish 12th but finished first.

lol New Jersey

San Jose is currenly 24 points lower than predicted.

He might've gotten Columbus right if they had known how to close the gently caress out of a game in the third period.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/Capitals/status/1780744929259479471

New York Islanders at Carolina Hurricanes, Saturday 5 pm
Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins, Saturday 8 pm
Tampa Bay Lightning at Florida Panthers, Sunday 12:30 pm

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Cartoon Man posted:

https://x.com/Capitals/status/1780744929259479471

New York Islanders at Carolina Hurricanes, Saturday 5 pm
Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins, Saturday 8 pm
Tampa Bay Lightning at Florida Panthers, Sunday 12:30 pm

Sunday afternoon Florida hockey, hell yeah

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

rip matthews, just another 69-goal loser

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Matthews ends the season with 69 but also played 80+ games in the regular season for the first time since his rookie year, after going 6 seasons in a row with some sort of lingering injury or another.

An actually healthy Matthews in the postseason with a more balanced attack than this team has had in years should be a big deal, can’t wait to see how Keefe fucks it all up

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

It would have been pretty funny if the Pens were still in it and got eliminated tonight on Crosby not scoring on a penalty shot with 30 seconds left, but the whole flyers pulling their goalie even though they were eliminated thing is still funnier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

on the bright side it seems like I won't have to watch Jeff Carter "play" 12-15 minutes a night next season so I'm loving stoked