Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At the very least support Abigail with a ticket purchase, even if you're not going to or able to see it. There's an active attempt at blackballing Melissa Barrera for speaking out against the genocide happening to the Palestinian people, any active and financial support of her and her roles is a way of making that more difficult for studios to pull off, and the film was already going to have an uphill battle of making a profit before that (budget is $28mil per Variety)

LNwtD is already financially successful, is available on streaming this week via Shudder, and utilizes lovely AI. I see no reason to pick it over anything right now, especially Abigail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think most of the adults all do a great job and are all fantastic actors and actresses in their own right. It's all the Stark kids and Emilia Clarke that are the ehhh ones. Ygritte and Jon Snow were both rich kid actors too that kind of got their parts handed to them through connections. Not damning them since that's 90% of Hollywood but I don't think they act well enough to merit big roles after GoT.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

film was already going to have an uphill battle of making a profit before that

probably bc it looks terrible lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think it looks good :colbert:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

to be clear I absolutely agree supporting someone for being blacklisted for speaking out against human rights violation is a good thing i wasnt trying to attack ops position its one I agree with, just that the movie looks like discount blumhouse garbage lol

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doltos posted:

I think most of the adults all do a great job and are all fantastic actors and actresses in their own right. It's all the Stark kids and Emilia Clarke that are the ehhh ones. Ygritte and Jon Snow were both rich kid actors too that kind of got their parts handed to them through connections. Not damning them since that's 90% of Hollywood but I don't think they act well enough to merit big roles after GoT.

It's Natalie Dormer I feel sorry for, because she's decent in everything she's in, and she's absolutely disappeared under the waves after GoT ended.

Anyway, I'm gonna see Abigail on Friday, it looks like alright schlock to me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wonder if The Forest is what just absolutely killed her career, or just her odds of being a lead.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sophie Turner was in Do Revenge, the best movie of 2022, so at least some of the Stark children are doing fine.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jason Momoa turned his role in GoT into making bank as a handsome toughie

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I like Radio Silence, I would normally give Abigail a pass but I will watch it this weekend

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Sophie Turner was in Do Revenge, the best movie of 2022, so at least some of the Stark children are doing fine.

:yeah:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is original Speak No Evil good?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

it's okay, very uncomfortable and tense. I think you might get more out of it if you are Danish or Dutch as there might be some culturally-specific themes (I dunno though) but it's enjoyable enough!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here’s hoping the American version is good

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Pretty good, pretty bleak, very tense and does a great job of living up at times to the comparisons it invokes to films it seems inspired by (Funny Games, The Invitation, The Strangers). The score was great and the last two scenes were really powerful

I saw it for Sundance that year and beyond all that my main takeaway was "this was the director's first horror film? It better not be his last, holy poo poo :stare: More pls"

I hope the American remake isn't sanitized, especially the ending; putting it in the hands of the Eden Lake director seems like a good start but you never know

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
lol Chucky

American Horror Story is also on a rare hot streak, somehow managing to achieve the goal of being genuinely creepy. Only took [checks notes] 12 seasons.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Abigail review embargo's up. 84% after 32 reviews https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/abigail_2024 :getin:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I don't think the trailer for Abigail was great (it seemed to give away EVERYTHING and just felt like it was trying to capture M3GAN vibes) but I'll still go see it. I looked at the worst review I could find and found this:

"" posted:

Why does a vampire movie need to be so relentlessly physical, with whacked limbs and decapitations and bodies slammed into walls? Dracula, among other things, is the most metaphorical character in horror-film history, and I guess his daughter could be too, but not in a film that turns bloodsucking into a form of professional wrestling.

Which just sold me on the movie more. I also liked Last Voyage of the Demeter a hell of a lot more than the consensus, I think I just like Draculas.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

All the talk I'd heard pre-today about it onscreen is Abigail earns its R rating with the sheer amount of blood :sickos:

Also my local theater just announced showtimes for opening week of Tarot next month and I'm surprised that's only PG13. The trailer looked really good (which I also thought about Abigail). Seems like a really good sign that Tarot's had its release date moved up multiple times

quote:

Tarot was originally scheduled to be released on June 28, 2024,[10] before being moved up to May 10, 2024.[11] It was later moved up a week to May 3, 2024.[12]

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i'm glad that the entire world complaining about the abigail trailer means that i have not actually watched the abigail trailer (even if i know the general premise from osmosis) so i'm pretty stoked to see it this weekend. love radio silence.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

I don't think the trailer for Abigail was great (it seemed to give away EVERYTHING and just felt like it was trying to capture M3GAN vibes) but I'll still go see it. I looked at the worst review I could find and found this:

Which just sold me on the movie more. I also liked Last Voyage of the Demeter a hell of a lot more than the consensus, I think I just like Draculas.

Lol big dweeb alert with that review. Also we have had multiple professional wrestler vampires

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Hell, I have a pro wrestling vampire bumper sticker on my car!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

jfc :laffo: :laffo: beautiful

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'd love to show them the climax of Blood for Dracula just to see their head pop.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Ok where the hell do I get one of these?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Ok where the hell do I get one of these?

Here you go!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
So we can finally put an argument to rest. Greatest TV Show ever. Sopranos? The Wire? GoT? No, friends.

30 Coins.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who the hell tries to argue Game of Thrones?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who the hell tries to argue Game of Thrones?

What can I say.

I just loved the ending.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thank you.

But holy poo poo Stone Cold's theme starting when the page loaded about blew my wig off.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Xiahou Dun posted:

What can I say.

I just loved the ending.

Reading this in Colin Robinson's voice and picturing his little eye-gleam.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Abigail has Kathryn Newton in it 😌

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Abigail has Kathryn Newton in it 😌

And Melissa Barrera, who I'm glad to give money to see after how the Scream 7 execs absolutely hosed her over.

Got my ticket to see it tomorrow, pretty optimistic after the reviews, especially "it earns its rating in blood spilled".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So, from what I understand, the producers of Scream fired the two leads because they expressed support for Palestine, and are now gladly giving Neve Campbell anything she wants to come back after telling her to gently caress off before the last one?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Pretty much, yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

So, from what I understand, the producers of Scream fired the two leads because they expressed support for Palestine, and are now gladly giving Neve Campbell anything she wants to come back after telling her to gently caress off before the last one?

They're trying to get Courtney Cox, too, lol.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Jenna Ortega probably left of her own accord - some people say it's because of filming conflicts but it's mostly likely in solidarity with Melissa Barerra. Christopher Landon then left as director, saying it had turned into a nightmare.

So the producers, desperate to salvage what is once again a pretty lucrative franchise, drove a truckload of money up to Neve Campbell to get her to sign.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea it's kinda funny how fast the bad karma came back on them. They basically told Neve you aren't that important to the Scream franchise, then like a year later they put themselves into such a bad PR nightmare that they have to go crawling back to her.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've only ever seen the first four Scream movies and was thinking of watching five and six but somehow I've lost all interest.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I've only ever seen the first four Scream movies and was thinking of watching five and six but somehow I've lost all interest.

They were really building something too with 5 and 6, which is what makes their decision even more baffling. It was totally in their self-interest to support Barrera, but they just really really wanted to step on that rake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kvlt! posted:

todays kids horror is just having to sit through a whole movie LMAO (no seriously my siblings have kids and their attention spans have me fearful for the future)

I completely, unironically think Quibi was ahead of its time