Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Finally decided to get my controller to work for the web event and now it's really fun :buddy:

Died to Lyney's third challenge like 4 times but did the final boss in a single try :sax:

It's too bad it made me remember silksong doesn't exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thinking back to the Arlecchino video, Fontaine Archon quest spoiler I wonder if the reason she spared Furina's life was because she felt empathy for her for also being under a curse

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
ATHF mummy shambling into fontaine... CUUUUUURSEEEEEEE

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v-7IJJEvuw

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

No Wave posted:

Navia Xianyun is one of her best comps. Not kidding.
Well I gotta admit 65k Navia plunges are pretty fun

Anyways I feel like c1 Neuvillette is a crazier hypercarry than c1 Hu Tao. He's kinda bonkers.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

I'm not crying, it's just raining...

And the fact that man is pretty much the same kind of evil as 'Mother', a beatific facade hiding truly vile intentions. No wonder Arlecchino just killed him.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
The more we know about Arlecchino the better she gets

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Shinji2015 posted:

The more we know about Arlecchino the better she gets

Im hoping thats true for gameplay because clunkier Hu Tao isnt doing her any favors

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she seems less clunky than hu tao, not more so. you dont have to worry about weird charge attack cancels or whatever.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
As a C1R1 Hu Tao Homa haver, I am divided on if I should use these ~275 wishes to get C1R1 on Archchelienioho

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the videos were beautifully done but I kind of...didn't want Arlecchino to have a tragic backstory/deep down, her heart is in the right place?
maybe I'm alone in this :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i mean it's a little cliche maybe but i'm infinitely more sick of revolutionary / anti-status quo characters in blatantly monstrous status quos being presented as sick or just as bad as the oppressors, so i'll take it

murder the gods and topple their thrones :toot:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excelzior posted:

the videos were beautifully done but I kind of...didn't want Arlecchino to have a tragic backstory/deep down, her heart is in the right place?
maybe I'm alone in this :shrug:
i mean, what did people expect?

She's the only one in the Winter's Night Lazzo trailer to express anything resembling actual regret over Signora dying.

quote:

Pulcinella: We are gathered here today to remember our dear comrade
Pulcinella: In honor of her sacrifice, all work should halt for half a day as the nation mourns her passing
Pantalone: Hehe, merely half a day...
[quote]
Arlecchino: Rosalyne died in a foreign land...
Arlecchino: But you heartless businessmen and dignitaries
Arlecchino: Always with a convenient excuse to remain in the comfort of your homeland...
Arlecchino: You couldn't hope to understand
Arlecchino: So why don't you keep your mouths shut!

even capitano's line feels like a bit of a cheap shot at her

quote:

Capitano: Though her methods tarnished her honor, Lohefalter's sacrifice is a great pity
Capitano: Her loss shall not hinder our progress.

And beyond that the first thing we see her do in any real capacity is kill a child trafficker. At what point was she presented as like, this actually evil character?

She's not some perfect human being, she's very extreme and she's clearly strict with the kids under her care, and she's still working for the Fatui. and she made Furina utterly terrified of her for no real reason. but she's got like, actually redemptive elements and motivation. and its executed in a way that feels way more interesting than the Childe's Little Brother quest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I love the Childe's little brother quest but not because it makes Childe look better. It just makes him look stupid, when previously there was some room to wonder if maybe it was all an act, which is hilarious.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

At what point was she presented as like, this actually evil character?

I mean, the first thing that comes to mind is literally trying to murder Furina in cold blood and then psychologically torturing her

but y'know to each his own

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

look everyone's allowed one archon murder

and like i said that stuff happened after she was already established to have good qualities too

and like. she still did that. iunno how thinking child murders are bad somehow makes her not as edgy or w/e.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So I finally did Chiori's quest and was there supposed to be a fight against Uther? Don't these things usually have a one-on-one boss fight at the end of the dungeon crawl? It just cuts abruptly from what seems to be a pre-fight cutscene to the fashion show and they say the bad guy's in prison now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Excelzior posted:

I mean, the first thing that comes to mind is literally trying to murder Furina in cold blood and then psychologically torturing her

but y'know to each his own

Not to advocate for murder as a means of political activism, but honestly, the Fonch are headed for a prophesied rendezvous with oblivion, and the Archon's publicly-facing plan for this seems to be to go to the theater and hold tea parties. I'm surprised there hasn't been more violence.

On the whole it probably wasn't much more psychologically damaging than, say, scene 175,941.

Bazinga!
Dec 15, 2011
Both recruitable harbingers pre-Fontaine also had quote suggesting Arlecchino was pretty evil :

"Scaramouche : About the Knave : A wolf in sheep's clothing. To exert a higher level of control over people, she puts on a graceful and cordial front. Most of those who have seen her true, crazy self... have gone poof."
"Childe : About the Knave : Look, I've got nothing against people who have their own agendas — I myself joined the Fatui to get more experience in combat. But I don't like her at all. If she stood to benefit from betraying others, she'd turn against the Tsaritsa in a heartbeat. There isn't a sane bone in her body."

If even Scaramouche (who is a psycho) says she is bad, and Childe (who is a battle maniac) says she is insane, you would expect her to be a bit more than just a ruthless well-intentioned tragic heroine. It feels like they softened her once they started writing Fontaine compared to their plans during Sumeru.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If her banner is really lynette/freminet/chevreuse I'm going to pull her C0 then aim to end the banner on 73 pity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bazinga! posted:

Both recruitable harbingers pre-Fontaine also had quote suggesting Arlecchino was pretty evil :

"Scaramouche : About the Knave : A wolf in sheep's clothing. To exert a higher level of control over people, she puts on a graceful and cordial front. Most of those who have seen her true, crazy self... have gone poof."
"Childe : About the Knave : Look, I've got nothing against people who have their own agendas — I myself joined the Fatui to get more experience in combat. But I don't like her at all. If she stood to benefit from betraying others, she'd turn against the Tsaritsa in a heartbeat. There isn't a sane bone in her body."

If even Scaramouche (who is a psycho) says she is bad, and Childe (who is a battle maniac) says she is insane, you would expect her to be a bit more than just a ruthless well-intentioned tragic heroine. It feels like they softened her once they started writing Fontaine compared to their plans during Sumeru.
i mean tbf none of that is really contradicted by anything shown.

idk it just feels like female characters have to exist at one of two extremes in peoples minds

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If this was a game where ONLY female villains got sob stories then yeah it'd be lame but every Genshin character gets this treatment (including Wanderer and Childe, even)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
We are kinda just dropping late/end Fontaine Archon quest spoilers here but that stuff was revealed at a point where Furina was a frustrating obstacle to any progress or acknowledgement of real issues so they seemed like sympathetic enough actions to me. Focalors was the only person with perfect knowledge of that situation and by nature couldn't say poo poo anyway.

e: Oh more posts happened, whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

If this was a game where ONLY female villains got sob stories then yeah it'd be lame but every Genshin character gets this treatment (including Wanderer and Childe, even)
yea if anything they put way more emphasis on wanderer's tragic backstory than arlecchino's

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also Scara wanted to wipe out human life on Teyvat which is worse than what Arlecchino has done.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

No Wave posted:

If her banner is really lynette/freminet/chevreuse I'm going to pull her C0 then aim to end the banner on 73 pity.

conversely i'll be glad i stepped right up to 74 pity this time because my Chev is already c6 from trying to get c6 Sara

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like Chevy.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

haypliss posted:

We are kinda just dropping late/end Fontaine Archon quest spoilers here but that stuff was revealed at a point where Furina was a frustrating obstacle to any progress or acknowledgement of real issues so they seemed like sympathetic enough actions to me. Focalors was the only person with perfect knowledge of that situation and by nature couldn't say poo poo anyway.

e: Oh more posts happened, whatever.

Yeah, like as far as Arlecchino was concerned Furina was actively a Problem to Fontaine's safety, so I don't have an issue with why she did what she did. Once she realized that there was something weird going on with Furina she backed off immediately anyways. She's a killer (like a significant chunk of the cast, including the Traveler), but she's not a monster

Between the two new characters that premiered in the movie event, she should have been the 5* and Choiri the 4* :colbert:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's funny as hell that almost every reaction to the anime short is confused by the twiststab when they literally say what's going on at the start.

Also, boy does the Tsaritsa work with some awful people. Dottore is probably an already more extreme example, but when we do meet her, it will probably be rationalized as what it takes to oppose Celestia's genocidal iron fist.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I’d happily believe Scara and Childe’s insights, that she maintains a cordial persona masking insanity and that she’d betray the Tsarita in a heartbeat. She has come across as way more reasonable than other Fatui and I think of the Fatui so far she’s shown the most investment in something that isn’t the Tsarita’s goals/personal megalomaniacal goals with her attempts to save Fontaine.

Perhaps this yet unseen insane side will lead us into the weekly boss.

Edit:

^^
I’m hoping the Doctor is the most extreme example of the most awful the Fatui have to offer but I’m sure the one that looks like evil Baizhu will give him a run for his money, he’s just got a vibe.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 18, 2024

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Unfazed by her choking and stepping on a dude (passé), charmed by her interest in watching bugs (very cute). The Arlecchino experience.

Think I'm gonna end up dropping a 50/50 on her banner and waiting for Clorinde no matter what the outcome is. It's actually a little exciting to be back in gambling mode after lucksacking thru early 5 stars and 50/50 wins for so long :woop:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That tea party scene has always bothered me because Furina not being able to say a specific solution to deadly, supernatural prophecy is supposed to make her look bad, but Arlecchino's plan was 1. Get the Gnosis, and then 2. ???.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
While she's not in the game yet, what are the initial impressions of how goth girl plays? Am I only on the road to disappointment like I was with Dehya?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she is not a meta-changing unit or anything but shes, Fine. shes fairly similar to hu tao but her ceiling is slightly lower, her floor is a lot higher, and she actually works in overload and monopyro teams. she is going to be a good unit but shes not neuvilette tier. id put her around the same level of power as like, alhaitham.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
But is she fun?

I have no doubt that she's not a replacement for my Hyperbloom team, but that's my boss fight team. I often like to default to my Beidou Taser team when running around the world.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Minus the part where Alhaitham has easy access to the most broken reaction in the game. 😔

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haypliss posted:

Minus the part where Alhaitham has easy access to the most broken reaction in the game. 😔
she also has access to burning tho :twisted:

Mordiceius posted:

But is she fun?

I have no doubt that she's not a replacement for my Hyperbloom team, but that's my boss fight team. I often like to default to my Beidou Taser team when running around the world.
she probably isnt going to be a great overworld unit, in the same way hu tao isnt, she cant be be healed.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Endorph posted:

she also has access to burning tho :twisted:

You're right, I should've accounted for the OP new artifacts.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mordiceius posted:

While she's not in the game yet, what are the initial impressions of how goth girl plays? Am I only on the road to disappointment like I was with Dehya?
She basically just normal attacks after an odd little setup but it's very strong. Definitely not a Dehya situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the mechanic is basically she applies a mark to enemies, lets it sit for a few seconds (this is when you swap out and do bennett's burst and kazuha or whatever), normal attacks a bunch to consume all of the mark, repeat.