Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
First they came for the Disney Land maps, and I said nothing. Then they came for the Applebee's menus

The Alchemist fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

My initial post was how QR codes ultimately become a class filter because not everyone has access to that level of technology. I did not say it was happening everywhere, although eventually it likely will.

it's not an issue for you, that doesn't mean it isn't a serious issue for the large amount of people it affects. just like needing a car to live in the US is a prerequisite that causes trouble and class divides, soon everyone will simply need a smartphone to be considered a valid part of society, and our view will be that anyone who falls outside of that standard is unimportant to the conversation. it's already happening now, in this very discussion.

I don't think the data supports your theory, but go ahead and write a dystopian YA fiction novel about the QR readers vs the rebellion if that makes you feel better, just not in this thread.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Squashing Machine posted:

QR code menus suck in a kind of Andy Rooney way but saying that they're any kind of significant class barrier to eating out in comparison to skyrocketing restaurant prices is a lol

I mean, that's the thing. I'm a professional computer toucher tech nerd who loves using tech, has a deep tech knowledge, and is pretty integrated with technology in my life, and I hate QR code menus for multiple reasons (I don't like training people to scan random links that can't be easily verified in public, and I think a phone screen is a terrible interface for browsing a menu), but turning it into some sort of weird "protector of the underclass" moral crusade is just bonkers to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've never been to a restaurant that switched entirely to QR code menus, so I'm out of touch. Do they commonly go beyond that for ordering, if you don't have a smartphone could you just go "hey, you got any burgs" or whatever to the waitstaff to order something?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've never been to a restaurant that switched entirely to QR code menus, so I'm out of touch. Do they commonly go beyond that for ordering, if you don't have a smartphone could you just go "hey, you got any burgs" or whatever to the waitstaff to order something?

The waiters are roombas and the manager is an A.I. that hates the humankind.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

house of the dad posted:

Like is it unfair that many restaurant menus have English words on them you have to read instead of just pictures of all the food that you can point to while grunting in a positive or negative way

A picture menu would have certainly prevented us from ordering cervelle de veau at a Parisian restaurant, I'll tell you that much.

It was delicious, but I would not eat it again.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
27 million Americans don't have smartphones, yes some out of choice due to age. But that number isn't just olds resisting. And yes even people in the poorest neighborhoods can have access to such, because if you're able to get WhatsApp it's way cheaper and easier than calling cards.

But the issue is assuming everyone in America has, at bare minimum, access to a smartphone, which is not true. It makes it become a self-fulfilling prophecy where eventually, one has to have one even just to survive because if you don't, you don't have access to much needed services.

This also comes into play with things like the way to apply for sanctuary in the US is now app-based. This quietly makes sure anyone unable to access the app is simply weeded out of being considered.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for leaving my boyfriend at the airport after he “pranked” the TSA with a dildo?

response to op posted:

Please stop dating children, especially when they're almost a decade your senior.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

oh hey, it's the cashless society arguments but reskinned to chain restaurant menus

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Kind of ableist towards people with vision impairments to have pictures in your menu. Buffet is the only ethical type of serving food

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

mystes posted:

I'm having trouble believing that requiring cellphones is much of a class filter in 2024.

A smartphone is also incredibly useful for finding food and shelter. The whole conversation (which I've heard before) reminds me of George Orwell writing in the book A Clergyman's Daughter about homeless men running to see the job announcements posted outside the newspaper office in the morning, when the work had probably already gone to someone who could afford to have their newspaper delivered. You can say that if someone can afford a new newspaper every morning then they don't need money, but it's a method for survival and if you've never been barely surviving you won't realize.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

27 million Americans don't have smartphones, yes some out of choice due to age. But that number isn't just olds resisting. And yes even people in the poorest neighborhoods can have access to such, because if you're able to get WhatsApp it's way cheaper and easier than calling cards.

But the issue is assuming everyone in America has, at bare minimum, access to a smartphone, which is not true. It makes it become a self-fulfilling prophecy where eventually, one has to have one even just to survive because if you don't, you don't have access to much needed services.

This also comes into play with things like the way to apply for sanctuary in the US is now app-based. This quietly makes sure anyone unable to access the app is simply weeded out of being considered.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Of course - it becomes an invaluable tool which itself is tied to all of this, because then people are tethered to paying monthly phone service and updating their phones every few years. I understand how it works guys, that it's the best tool the poor have at hand. Making services contingent on having a smartphone is still a class filter that says 'anyone who doesn't scrabble to keep their phone functioning as a bare minimum survival system is not worth considering for services'

Thats exactly the problem - it's considered so fundamental, the folks who don't figure out how to 'make it work' to have those things are considered the ur-class.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 18, 2024

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, who's being prevented from playing Scrabble?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Of course - it becomes an invaluable tool which itself is tied to all of this, because then people are tethered to paying monthly phone service and updating their phones every few years. I understand how it works guys, that it's the best tool the poor have at hand. Making services contingent on having a smartphone is still a class filter that says 'anyone who doesn't scrabble to keep their phone functioning as a bare minimum survival system is not worth considering for services'

Thats exactly the problem - it's considered so fundamental, the folks who don't figure out how to 'make it work' to have those things are considered the ur-class.
I think one thing you're missing is that smartphones are even more useful for people who don't have a stable address, computer, home internet, etc., which is one reason why in 2024 the people who don't have smartphones actually tend to mostly be elderly people who have all of those things

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Shanghaied posted:

A picture menu would have certainly prevented us from ordering cervelle de veau at a Parisian restaurant, I'll tell you that much.

It was delicious, but I would not eat it again.

lol my homie google is your friend. the name is legitimate what it is

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Would a stripper story get the thread back on track?

AITA for refusing to dance at the Stag Night for my Boyfriends brother?

quote:

I (25F) am a stripper and it's a job I am not ashamed of and enjoy a lot, plus it makes great money. My Boyfriend (27M) of four years asked me tonight if i'd dance for his brothers Stag Night this Saturday (It's what a Batchelor Party is called in my country, and the female version is called a Hen Night) the dancer they originally had booked that I helped arrange had to cancel as she broke her ankle during a performance.

I've tried to find them another Dancer calling in favours from my friends in the industry but weekends are always busy and it's too short notice so everyone is booked solid. I offered to get them into the club I work for and would even be able to arrange for VIP treatment of the party but this offer was rejected as the club is too far away from other activities they have planned for the evening.

In the end my Boyfriend suggested I dance, he has no problem with my job and didn't feel like me dancing for the group would be a problem. Now, if it was my boyfriends friends i'd be open to it after discussion to make sure we were both fully ok with this but the fact it's for his brother raises concerns for me and feels just too awkward.

My Boyfriend refuses to see the issue stating we're all adults and his brother was looking forward to there being a stripper at the party, but it's just weird to think if we work out then for the rest of my life i'll have to know his brother saw me dance and at every family event I attend it'll just be on my mind.

I've told my Boyfriend it isn't happening and the best I can offer is the club, and if they need a stripper that badly then they'll take it. He thinks i'm being ridiculous and that someone in my job shouldn't be bothered by this and if they can be mature about it so should I.

was my kneejerk reaction to refuse too harsh?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mystes posted:

I think one thing you're missing is that smartphones are even more useful for people who don't have a stable address, computer, home internet, etc., which is one reason why in 2024 the people who don't have smartphones actually tend to mostly be elderly people who have all of those things

No I get that too. It means the cell phone becomes an incredibly important tool and again, keeping it functioning becomes the highest priority. The moment someone can't anymore, they basically fall out of society. All of this is part of the rant which would make you beg for death that I warned about.

I never said access to cell phones is bad for society, just that predicating access to basic services based on ones level of technology while still in a transitional state where there's not equal access to said technology creates a divide where the poorest among us becomes unable to access these things unless they're stable enough to keep their phone paid.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 18, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
boyfriend is a little too unbothered by her job there, yeesh

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

lol my homie google is your friend. the name is legitimate what it is

This was in like 2005 lol. My friend was like "I got this, I got a B in [high school] French, I think I can order us food ffs."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i mean to be fair "brains" and "calf" are not usually high school french study words

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

boyfriend is a little too unbothered by her job there, yeesh

I wish I could find a man who's not instantly threatened and controlling over my choice of job *finger curls on monkey's paw*

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, so you'll strip for strangers but not my little brother?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wish I could find a man who's not instantly threatened and controlling over my choice of job *finger curls on monkey's paw*

goddamn it.

so you are a retard masterbator and work from home?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Alchemist posted:

AITA for being mad my bf won't make noodles the way I like

quote:

My (20) boyfriend (26) has known about this since we first started dating.

quote:

We have been dating for almost three years now

quote:

He did not like being called a predator
:thunk:

quote:

And lastly, and worst of all, he has never actually been allergic to dogs and just doesn't like them.
:thermidor:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well he is trying to be controlling. Strip for my brother or it proves you are not an adult!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

In most of the QR code restaurants I've been to, there's still a wait staff that takes your order, so even if you don't have a smartphone, you can ask the server and they can sort of rattle off a few of the staples.

The Alchemist posted:

The waiters are roombas and the manager is an A.I. that hates the humankind.
I know you're making a joke, but the food delivery roombas are absolutely a thing that exists in restaurants. I went to a sushi conveyor belt place a couple weeks ago that has these sorts of robots to deliver special orders. They have little cat-eye emojis and an output screen listing off what it's doing at any given moment ("delivering food to Table 15", "returning to kitchen" or whatever). The restaurant still has a greeter to show you to your table, bussers to clean tables, cooks in the back, etc but no human is involved with the actual serving process of transporting the food from the kitchen to the table...so we're not quite at that hellscape restaurant you're describing yet, but it's at least visible on the horizon.

Here's what they look like by the way, in case anyone's curious:
https://www.robotlab.com/restaurant-robots/store/bellabot

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i don't think the kura sushi ai roombas can legally deliver you alcohol since they're too young

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MagusofStars posted:

In most of the QR code restaurants I've been to, there's still a wait staff that takes your order, so even if you don't have a smartphone, you can ask the server and they can sort of rattle off a few of the staples.

I know you're making a joke, but the food delivery roombas are absolutely a thing that exists in restaurants. I went to a sushi conveyor belt place a couple weeks ago that has these sorts of robots to deliver special orders. They have little cat-eye emojis and an output screen listing off what it's doing at any given moment ("delivering food to Table 15", "returning to kitchen" or whatever). The restaurant still has a greeter to show you to your table, bussers to clean tables, cooks in the back, etc but no human is involved with the actual serving process of transporting the food from the kitchen to the table...so we're not quite at that hellscape restaurant you're describing yet, but it's at least visible on the horizon.

Here's what they look like by the way, in case anyone's curious:
https://www.robotlab.com/restaurant-robots/store/bellabot

I went to a conveyor sushi restaurant in Bellevue, Washington that had one of those a couple weeks back

Food was pretty mediocre but the prices were good. OTOH maybe they have such low prices from the robots taking jobs...

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

There's a BBQ place in Hartford near the convention center (Bears, if there's any CT folks around) that has some bussing robots, which doesn't super work given the cramped size of the place tbh.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Y'all need to stop posting these age-gap rage bait posts.

Because I get angry at every one. :mad:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

4) Related to the above, please take a moment to take a look at the ages in stories and do some math. There's nothing funny about someone in their twenties grooming someone in their teens because now they're both adults.

Get a loving calculator if you need one.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I dated a person and then they dated my best friend after we broke up and also became a stripper. My friend was all "Come watch your ex strip!" and it was weird. Never did go see them preform.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I have a calculator on my smartphone

mystes
May 31, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I have a calculator on my smartphone
In your go bag?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Neito posted:

There's a BBQ place in Hartford near the convention center (Bears, if there's any CT folks around) that has some bussing robots, which doesn't super work given the cramped size of the place tbh.

That's within striking distance of me. I could go for some BBQ.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Neito posted:

Got that robussy?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

Boyfriend's [25M] watch kink has me [25F] feeling uncomfortable. What should I do?
Does any 25-year-old woman decide to wear a wristwatch to look more formal?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anderson Koopa posted:

That's within striking distance of me. I could go for some BBQ.
The robots are bussin' too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Almost three years doing some heavy lifting there. This one was definitely a borderline case, but the way I interpreted it she was 18 when they started dating