Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Have you tried being high while watching it like many of us were 12 years ago

I've never seen it and I don't get it but I get what it means to a high child watching clips, mine's probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_dRw62qVLs

Wonderful that the guy who played Lincoln in this clip wrote and directed Barbarian like twenty years later

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

My favorite bit in Weird is during the end credits when they trick you into thinking you're getting a slide show of actual Weird Al photos before it devolves into another bit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Majkol posted:

This is sort of like if a young kid has seen and heard jokes, but does not yet understand what makes them funny, setup, punchline etc. so they just come up with a situation they think is funny and then they keep repeating it ad nauseam without really escalating or building to anything and then it just sort of fizzles out.
Is this guy a nepo baby who had someone famous on social media retweet or reference this video?

it's got the tiktok stink. something about the way the algorithm counts views or viewing time favors skits that never actually resolve and keeping teasing the viewer until they abruptly end

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's got the tiktok stink. something about the way the algorithm counts views or viewing time favors skits that never actually resolve and keeping teasing the viewer until they abruptly end

Potion Seller came out five years before TikTok existed!

What is going on here, why are you guys getting so mad about Potion Seller?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Potion Seller came out five years before TikTok existed!

What is going on here, why are you guys getting so mad about Potion Seller?

I ain't mad I am in my thirties

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I HATE Potion Seller!!

(What is Potion Seller please?)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Had never seen Potion Seller. Got in on the zeitgeist a decade late. I actually thought the dude laughing at his own stupid gag and goofy face morphs was endearing, but yeah it wasn't particularly funny (to me). Generally jokes like that work better when you think that they'll actually stop repeating it, and they don't (Paul Rudd with his "movie clips" on Conan is the all-timer for this, imho).

Edit: I had seen the "knight" face in D&D memes for a while so it was nice to finally know the origin of that.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 18, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's got the tiktok stink.

get over yourself

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every generation eventually becomes boomers

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you think Potion Seller is great, I highly recommend Cheech and Chong. "Dave is not here" is the blueprint.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Potion Seller was funny cuz it's like a drama club kid improvising with masks. It's not like a hall of fame bit or anything but facial distortion is inherently funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Potion seller is funny because it’s a funny computer app making his face look distorted to become a cartoon version of the character he’s portraying

Plus he gives it his all and it’s super good

I prefer this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl3H4vMqYNo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

I ain't mad I am in my thirties

Same and it’s just as funny

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
My favorite Justin Kurtizkes video is hangover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd1jIRkG27o

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Have you tried being high while watching it like many of us were 12 years ago

I only saw it last year, it's so good

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

The Peccadillo posted:

I've never seen it and I don't get it but I get what it means to a high child watching clips, mine's probably

Wonderful that the guy who played Lincoln in this clip wrote and directed Barbarian like twenty years later

I still think of that "oh you hosed up you hosed up you hosed up now" bit all the time

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Reading Sidney Lumet's Making Movies.

It's a much funnier book than I expected.

Hopefully some of it will be useful even if it was written 30 years ago.

Read in the Blink of an Eye a few years back which was somewhat outdated but still useful from a more theoretical standpoint.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 18, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

The Peccadillo posted:

And the guy who played JW booth broke his neck trying to suck his own dick in Mexico!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Reading Sidney Lumet's Making Movies.

It's a much funnier book than I expected.

Hopefully some of it will be useful even if it was written 30 years ago.

Read in the Blink of an Eye a few years back which was somewhat outdated but still useful from a more theoretical standpoint.

The Kurosawa bit where when asked why he framed a particular shot in Ran like he did and replies "couple degrees to the left was a highway and couple degrees to the right you could see the Sony headqaurters" (been a long time since i read it, something like that) is right off the bat

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Blood Boils posted:

And the guy who played JW booth broke his neck trying to suck his own dick in Mexico!

He came as he went

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought La Chimera was fantastic. Any movie that breaks the fourth wall to talk about Etruscans has my vote. Incredibly loving Italian. Alice Rohrwacher and Rose Glass really upping their game!!!!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I thought La Chimera was fantastic. Any movie that breaks the fourth wall to talk about Etruscans has my vote. Incredibly loving Italian. Alice Rohrwacher and Rose Glass really upping their game!!!!

I missed that on a local film festival recently (all screenings sold out before I could buy) and I really want to see it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Peccadillo posted:

The Kurosawa bit where when asked why he framed a particular shot in Ran like he did and replies "couple degrees to the left was a highway and couple degrees to the right you could see the Sony headqaurters" (been a long time since i read it, something like that) is right off the bat

Yeah that part rules.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/RomanenkoRobert/status/1780732849932456171

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching this movie released by the WWE called Queens of the Ring, about a lady who decides to become an amateur wrestler to reconnect with her son. I got it as part of a 15 DVDs for 5 bucks deal at a pawnshop. So I’m watching it and I notice the logo for a French production company. And then the credits start, and all the names are very French. And then the title screen comes up. Les Reines Du Ring.

It’s a goddamn French movie. The WWE distributed it in America and tricked people into thinking it wasn’t French.

I’m pretty sure the dub was done by wrestlers, which is neat. It doesn’t say so on the case, in order to better trick people, but the entire cast is very obviously not professional voice actors.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I never thought I'd turn off a movie distributed by the WWE because it was simply far too French.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of bad dubbing I was talking with a guy today about Godfather.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I never thought I'd turn off a movie (...) because it was simply far too French.

me watching the new Johnny Depp

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

I never thought I'd turn off a movie distributed by the WWE because it was simply far too French.

That’s hilarious.

This film I was in Poland for is the bane of my existence. It’s so loving hard: financially difficult and very complicated technically.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Watched American Fiction last night. That film is loving fantastic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

Watched American Fiction last night. That film is loving fantastic.

Yep! It’s very good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was getting tired of having such a low batting average with movies so far this year, so I decided to dip into the stash of horror movies I was saving for next month. Not some HPB clearance section blind buy, no, this one had been recommended to me. So there was a much higher chance of a good time, right?

I watched Altitude. It sucked.

A small plane has a malfunction where it can't stop rising. Great. Also, they fly into storm and the instruments start malfunctioning so they have no idea where they are. Yes. Also, there's a monster in the storm. Hell yah, I am on board, let's loving go.

The problem is the characters and the script. I was hoping for a Flight of the Phoenix style thing where a bunch of strangers have to work together to try to survive. No, in Altitude it's a group of college friends who all hate each other. There's the beer-swilling jock, the sullen nerd, the musician who for plot reasons is also really into free climbing and might as well be wearing a big sign at all times that says "I want to gently caress the jock's girlfriend", the girl who is blonde, and the girl who is brunette. All the stars are here! The beer-swilling jock is especially bad, he is from the jump aggressively insulting to every single other character. And the sullen nerd is especially bad. At one point the jock says the brunette girl is pity loving the nerd, and it's just 100% obviously an accurate statement, because the sullen nerd at no point displays even a single redeeming quality, and at many points displays really unappealing and repellant qualities.

What could have been a fantastic tense survival thriller simply falls utterly flat because I simply want these characters to go away. Either by all dying in a plane crash or because the movie ends, I just want them to stop being.

I guess the upside is knocking this fucker out early should improve my average during the May Challenge. After all, almost all the other movies I have lined up were recommended to me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you tried watching something good? Like HEAT or Clueless

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Have you tried watching something good? Like HEAT or Clueless

But how do you know if a movie is good unless you watch it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You get recommendations from someone you respect, like Gaius Marius

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

You get recommendations from someone you respect, like Gaius Marius

I can't remember who recommended Altitude, it easily could have been Gaius

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't like horror movies so certainly not

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I don’t think Gaius would recommend a movie and then tell you you should have watched something better instead when you complained about it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Today I watched:
A History of Violence, I liked all of it EXCEPT the scene that introduces the family, it’s too much treacle too fast (the very young daughter is having a nightmare and the entire household steps up to her bed to patiently and lovingly comfort her. Come on.

Fire Walk With Me, I liked all of it EXCEPT the entire mystery red room stuff, the whole twin peaks greater mythos stuff really loses me in general

So it’s just like, why do most movies have to include at least one thing that I don’t really like? Such a waste of time and money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Today I watched:
A History of Violence, I liked all of it EXCEPT the scene that introduces the family, it’s too much treacle too fast (the very young daughter is having a nightmare and the entire household steps up to her bed to patiently and lovingly comfort her. Come on.

Fire Walk With Me, I liked all of it EXCEPT the entire mystery red room stuff, the whole twin peaks greater mythos stuff really loses me in general

So it’s just like, why do most movies have to include at least one thing that I don’t really like? Such a waste of time and money

Have you tried watching something with no bad parts? Like Top Secret! or One Cut of the Dead?