Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didnt even realize the DLC for that came out yet. I just want a new Tales of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I said come in! posted:

I didnt even realize the DLC for that came out yet. I just want a new Tales of game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Don't worry, we're due to get another gacha game that shuts down in like six months at some point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’d be pretty cool with just getting remasters of the 2D JP only ones (and Eternia) if Arise is any indication of what we’re getting out of Tales going forward.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i just take into account that it was a regular game that they decided to retrofit into a tales game and therefore is only a halfblood Tales

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

does it even have any exclusive stuff over the psp version

Being on a system that's currently a metre away from me rather than one that's uh in a box... somewhere...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Don't worry, we're due to get another gacha game that shuts down in like six months at some point.

tales of the rays is still going, at least. in japan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
i'm assuming the arise dlc didn't even fix shionne's ai never jumping and thus never actually Functioning 70% of the time

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Finally finished Crystal Ortha.

I'd put it at the higher end of the Kemco games I've played. Cute story, basic battle system with a couple neat twists, and the later bosses took me a few tries to beat. A couple more levels and some Skill and Equip changing were usually enough, but it was nice to be tested a little.

The final boss jumps up 5 levels in their second phase though, that was some BS. Had to reload and grind up about 10 levels to stand a chance, but with some +XP equipment that took like 30 minutes. I'll be prepared for it when I play through the PS5 version at some point later. All in all, not a bad way to spend 12 hours and $7.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

:emptyquote:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, the arise dlc was just them reusing assets and basically resetting you to a random power level from the main story and telling you to redo the exact same powering up you did already.

you start at level 60 or so and with just random title upgrades. and there's like one new dungeon made from old assets. I mean, I didn't finish it, so maybe there was anew arte or two, but most of it was me reunlocking my old abilities while occasionally having story around a Mithos stand-in.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can never get mad at square enix the way same people do because bandai namco is, to me, what those people think of square enix as. at least square enix still loving makes video games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i legit can't tell if the enemies were "new" because the main game abuses palette swaps over like ten enemy types and the dlc could have reused one of the swaps or made new swaps and you'd never be able to tell the difference.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been playing through tales of rebirth recently and it's like. all you need to do to make a good tales game is throw together some weirdos and have them go on an adventure in a colorful world while making dumb jokes at each other and engaging in a weird mechanically unique action rpg battle system. this is all i need for a good tales game. if a good story arrives out of this then that's cool too. why do you deny me more of this bandai namco? why do you deny me more games about a panther guy in armor explaining racism to 16 year olds while a handsome brooding swordman voiced by link from ocarina of time stands in the corner shouting "CLAIRE!!!"?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

The Colonel posted:

rising is good.

I started it the other day - not bad, pretty simple sidescrolling action RPG, graphics are real pretty, and the kangaroo guy hops.
It's short enough that I hope I can keep interested enough to finish it this month

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Eugene loving rules and his last name is a car.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll never get over how when you recruit your last party member in rebirth, she talks about her tarot cards and is like "this one is symbolic of a turning point in one's life... and of rebirth". most direct tales of series title drop?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like OG Destiny has a pretty direct callout to the title at some point? Maybe the halfway point or ending?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

i'll never get over how when you recruit your last party member in rebirth, she talks about her tarot cards and is like "this one is symbolic of a turning point in one's life... and of rebirth". most direct tales of series title drop?
There’s Vesperia I guess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
velvet berseria: this makes me so mad. it really makes me wanna go berserk by kentaro miura right now

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The Colonel posted:

I don't remember if it was in the original (probably not) but at the very end of the Destiny remake Dymlos says "Stan, my journey with you has truly been a tale of destiny."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

i'm assuming the arise dlc didn't even fix shionne's ai never jumping and thus never actually Functioning 70% of the time

Tbh I kind of suspect that none of the characters on AI know how to jump, it’s just really dumb with Shionne specifically because she doesn’t have any of the moves other characters have that launch them in the air so you end up with the situation where she glimmers like four moves at once when you use her in the arena for five seconds and won’t touch her midair artes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Caphi posted:

I don't remember if it was in the original (probably not) but at the very end of the Destiny remake Dymlos says "Stan, my journey with you has truly been a tale of destiny."

lmfao. tales rules

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
finished unicorn overlord. it's goty

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Serene was my favorite as a kid but the snarky cat is the true goated character

riviera gba's official website had little mini games you could play to earn like wallpapers and aim avatars of characters but the best prizes were the animated mouse cursors from the slot machine. i still use the serene set to this day

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lol I got a pickpocketing perk in KCD which basically lets me get caught once (if people like me enough). Got my hand in their pocket and they're like "oh Hal, you kidder!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Somehow I've only actually finished two Tales games: Destiny and Abyss

I played Tales of Destiny back in high school and I remember that towards the end of the game I somehow accidentally deleted my save and I was enjoying the game so much that I just went right ahead and started over on the spot and went through to finish the game that time.

I keep meaning to play Vesperia, I know that one's very well liked

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the shine has come off vesperia a lot since its release. if nothing else the sheer breadth and depth of its missable content is ridiculous

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm enjoying Bersaria, although I'm playing it off and on, not all at once.

I have too many games and, combined with my Steam Deck making playing anywhere easy, am having a lot of choice paralysis lmao.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've only played 3 games but I wish Versperia's art style stuck around, even if they tweaked the animations, the engine, the design/physique of the characters, everything else.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
vesperia is okay but it mostly has some isolated fun bits of writing majorly let down by a terribly paced main plot and an equally poorly paced out and clunky combat system. it compares pretty badly to the games that released before and after in a lot of respects, if you like doing faster paced combo action it's much worse than graces f and if you do enjoy the more deliberate and slow pacing of the era it's from it's got all of the problems of something like symphonia and abyss without really taking lessons from a game like rebirth, which had a lot of meaningful evolutions on the idea of "slower, more deliberate" tales combat that rid itself of a lot of the associated frustrations

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 19, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wasn't Tales of Zesteria the one where one of the main characters basically goes "yeah I'm done adventuring now" and leaves your party forever?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of zestiria was built to have a route split with two options for the heroine. one of those routes got cut so alisha says early on that she's going to go deal with political stuff and then five minutes later a guy walks up to you and is like "if you don't fight a war for us we're going to kill alisha" and then you don't see her again for the next 30 hours

the zestiria anime changed this to alisha going off to fight against the evil noble guys with the show occasionally cutting over to show her present situation while giving her a subplot with rose about them initially starting as enemies but ultimately teaming up together when they understand they both have the same goals. none of this happened in the game because the game is weirdly attached to the idea of rose being The Moral Assassin so she drops the assassination job on alisha immediately because she somehow already knew she was just too good of a person to murder

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 19, 2024

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

vesperia's greatest asset is featuring a dog with a pipe. it's greatest crime is not leveraging the dog with a pipe enough.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is that the one where the character who disappears was also featured heavily in the prerelease marketing, to the point that a lot of people thought she was legit *the* main character? Band them freaked out when she vanished?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zestiria promised a lot of things it was never going to deliver on because tales doesn't have the budget to make a dragon's dogma

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my favorite thing about the game's treatment of rose is how it really literally is just like. oh yeah i'm an assassin i kill people for money. but only bad people. *goes into wacky comedy routine about her fear of ghosts for the next five minutes*

it's one thing to have an rpg party where the characters are cool with mildly weird and hosed up stuff about each other because that's just the kind of people they are, it is, absolutely hilarious how much zestiria tries to run with the idea of The Pure Hearted Assassin Who Can't Be Effected By The Dark Energy Cause She Really Is Just That Pure and takes it entirely in earnest and never questions it one bit because the entire deal with the party is that they have to be the purehearted young adventurers of love and justice in a world where bad thoughts turn you into a werewolf. zestiria is a fascinating game for how much about its weird rear end premise it stumbles over at every opportunity because it is not equipped to examine just how strange it is

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

We played through vesperia on release and I remember it seeming like the plot was just sort of kicking into high gear when we went into the end game. Haven't played it since, but I remember being kinda like "that's it?"

I think it was mostly due to the pacing being really weird iirc

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 19, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

my favorite thing about the game's treatment of rose is how it really literally is just like. oh yeah i'm an assassin i kill people for money. but only bad people. *goes into wacky comedy routine about her fear of ghosts for the next five minutes*

it's one thing to have an rpg party where the characters are cool with mildly weird and hosed up stuff about each other because that's just the kind of people they are, it is, absolutely hilarious how much zestiria tries to run with the idea of The Pure Hearted Assassin Who Can't Be Effected By The Dark Energy Cause She Really Is Just That Pure and takes it entirely in earnest and never questions it one bit because the entire deal with the party is that they have to be the purehearted young adventurers of love and justice in a world where bad thoughts turn you into a werewolf. zestiria is a fascinating game for how much about its weird rear end premise it stumbles over at every opportunity because it is not equipped to examine just how strange it is

I mean that sounds really funny and interesting tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is it interesting when a story is actively playing into bizarre ideas of how its characters should work so that it can justify a really specific narrative direction that makes absolutely no thematic sense and results in them having to make an entire prequel game and anime adaptation that are specifically centered on refocusing and making sense of how completely surreal the original was

i mean it is interesting i guess but. like. you know what i mean. the funny part of zestiria is not that it has weird poo poo going on it's that the game isn't presenting these ideas to examine them for any real reason. it's presenting them in a bizarre way because it has no actual idea for how to approach or answer them really. zestiria is a game where they introduce a party member as being in search of a solution for her brother having turned into a dragon, and then this doesn't come up again for the next entire rest of the game until you get a sidequest where after having done zero searching for how to deal with the problem everyone just decides they have to kill him the end. the main plot of zestiria is one that renders the main characters as acting in completely unpredictable and bizarre ways and that has an appeal but it is also like. i don't think that's what they were trying to make, on purpose, lmfao

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 19, 2024