Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

An Honest Liar was phenomenal, one of my favorite documentaries of its type. I'm going to watch Late Night With The Devil eventually and just knowing they have an Amazing Randi-esque character has me giddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. There's a good documentary about him called An Honest Liar that you should check out if you haven't seen it.

Oh yeah I watched that one day 1 it was available.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think Assault is the only Carpenter I haven’t seen, but it never seems to be streaming anywhere

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Infested comes to Shudder next Friday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-uiy20_zM

The other spider-horror film this month that isn't Sting, and it's Sebastian Vanicek's feature debut. It impressed Sam Raimi so much when it was being shopped to studios that he personally chose Vanicek to direct the next Evil Dead with 100% creative freedom https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3799163/new-evil-dead-filmmaker-sebastien-vanicek-teases-his-vision-a-nasty-film-a-film-that-hurts/

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

I think Assault is the only Carpenter I haven’t seen, but it never seems to be streaming anywhere

This is how I learned justwatch apparently just changed up the way they display the streaming services and I loving hate it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
However, I do love Assault on Precinct 13. Probably in my top 5 Carpenter (it gets a little hairy after Big Trouble in Little China and The Thing with four movies really duking it out for the next spots).

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Opopanax posted:

It's on The Criterion Channel right now in a special collection for movies that take place over one night! :science: And it looks great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Opopanax posted:

I finally watched it for the first time last year.

I may have gotten it dishonestly but look, I'll do my best to watch something legally but if you don't give me any options, the black sails will soar

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

That movie was on bravo all the time in the late 90s early 2000s. Loved it then, but haven't seen it since.

You owe it to yourself to watch the remastered release

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Opopanax posted:

Here you go. Free with ads but if you have an ad blocker you're good

https://tubitv.com/movies/283631/assault-on-precinct-13

There's a ton of cool, free poo poo on that site actually.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Abigail is fun when it actually decides to be the “criminals vs vampire ballerina” movie it’s marketed as; unfortunately, it takes too long to get to that reveal, and the climax backs away from Abigail being the villain and has another character take over as the primary antagonist, which didn’t really work for me. Not bad, but definitely disappointing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Here you go. Free with ads but if you have an ad blocker you're good

https://tubitv.com/movies/283631/assault-on-precinct-13

There's a ton of cool, free poo poo on that site actually.

Tubi loving rocks. I watched a bunch of found footage stuff this week because of it lol.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Alan Smithee posted:

the girl playing Abigail is scary good

i dont get why Joey didnt turn

Because she didn't drink Frank's blood in return like Frank did with Lambert, then as Abigail explains, Frank was too inexperienced to make Joey into a thrall either.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kind of wonder what the twist for Trap is going to be. It seems like such a good high concept movie.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hollismason posted:

Kind of wonder what the twist for Trap is going to be. It seems like such a good high concept movie.

I watched a video on how someone tried to do something similar to the plot in real life for the Zodiac killer. A guy figured that if he made a movie about the Zodiac killer and put it in San Francisco, where he believed he was operating, that the murderer was bound to go show up at the movie. At the same time the guy auctioned off a Kawaski motorcycle at the premier. You had to write your name on a slip of paper and put it in a box to enter. He had a guy inside the box checking every slip that came in against known Zodiac handwriting and had another guy hiding in a fridge next to the box so if there was a match they'd both pop out and tackle the guy. It all fell apart when the guy in the refrigerator asphyxiated and had to get an ambulance. The guy in the box also left to go to the bathroom and when he was gone someone wrote I Am The Zodiac in similar hand writing for the contest entry so they missed him. In the mean time the director of the movie was taking a piss and someone who matched the Zodiac size description came up to him and said blood doesn't come out of the body that way, so the director detained him for the cops who showed up and were like what the gently caress are you doing and let him go.

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Opopanax posted:

Add another big up for Assault on Precinct 13. It's long been one of my favorites of his (granted, basically every JC movie I've seen is a 'favorite'). Love the synth score too, it's a real banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5UU2TxOcZs

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watched Haunt (2019) ln, it's OK. Part of the proud "oh my god this haunted house is real?!" genre. Very brutal and there's good villain comeuppance (boosted by the fact that honestly I thought the villains were pretty bland and lame looking, even more so with their masks off).
I prefer the sort of little 80s version of this type of thing I saw...I can't remember its name, just people going through a haunted house maze where there's killing going on and then a twist. Oh well.

Also rewatched Cloverfield for the first time in ages. Had one of my favorite movie experiences going into that opening night blind, no idea what I was in for. I gripped the drat theater chair during the helicopter crash. TJ Miller may be annoying but drat what a found footage spectacle, you really don't get stuff this BIG in the genre. The Outwaters "felt" like a big spectacle in its own way just through creativity and ingenuity but it was a trip for me to be reminded of how big found footage can go. Like even poo poo like Rec/Quarantine is just this single building sitch but Cloverfield is just like, FF of the apocalypse.
So much post-9/11 fear chocked into this thing.
I dunno what JJ Abrams has done or is doing. I liked MI3, I thought Super 8 was cool. As for Matt Reeves I guess he's just making ape movies I don't watch and a Batman I might have appreciated if I were 11 and not exhausted by the last x billion superhero movies barraging culture. But really, they need to both work on some more loving found footage.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 20, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I got tired of Assault's politics and vibes pretty quickly but that's not its fault, it's an old movie and without a doubt that loving theme is one of my hands down faves outside of this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB98WQ4SgRk
(Which, also an excellent film that I think is on Criterion.)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Still love that Chronicle.

Ape movies are pretty good and worth a watch.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah!! I dug Chronicle too, forgot about that. Might revisit that as well.

And yeah I have respect enough for the ape movies I guess, it's just hard to figure out what the order is just going by the titles (of course Google exists) and it feels like for some reason on whatever streaming service it's always a situation where they're like "oh we got the first one with Franco you ain't interested in and absolutely none of the x sequels".
I did finally see the very very original a couple months ago and I was vibing. Good bold poo poo tbh.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's funny, I was actually impressed at what Assault On Precinct 13 wasn't in regards to politics. It is a 70s movie mired in the essential belief that cops are an Overall Good of course, but it was very clear about how the situation is only happening because of the corruption in the police force and the gunning down of innocents, and how many times sheer police negligence worsened the situation for the protagonists. It was a lot more human towards the inmates than expected, as well.

It is still, of course, a cop movie from the 70s where an Evil Gang is analogous to a zombie horde, but it had a lot more nuance than "cop good, crime guy bad", which was a pleasant surprise. And god drat if the protagonist party weren't all great at what they did. Strong performances all around.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

As for Matt Reeves I guess he's just making ape movies I don't watch
ProTip: You Should Watch the Ape Movies

Seriously, Dawn is one of the best goddamn sci-fi movies I've seen in forever, Serkis is amazing and the whole thing (including GARY GODAMN OLDMAN) is just fantastic.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Caesar trilogy/the 3 Reeves Apes films may be my favorite modern film trilogy. Like there's really no reason they should have all been great films given how hard it was to pull off, but he did it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Ape trilogy was so good that I can't imagine Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes will be any good since it won't have Caesar in it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Tubi loving rocks. I watched a bunch of found footage stuff this week because of it lol.

I honest to God thought/think they have a better overall selection than Netflix and Prime once I started poking around.

Also, yes on the apes trilogy. Taken as a whole, they're better than the originals, although nothing tops Heston PotA

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 20, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I watched Immaculate and I enjoyed it. Nothing too special or crazy, but I REALLY liked that all the advertising looked like a Rosemary's Baby type movie, but nope, just some science dudes cloning jesus. I really enjoy when movies subvert my expectations .

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I honest to God thought/think they have a better overall selection than Netflix and Prime once I started poking around.

It absolutely does

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The modern PotA movies are great. And they're solid proof that big CGI-heavy sci-fi blockbusters can also be decent movies as long as the people behind them actually care to not just shovel out garbage.

Who can argue this scene doesn't rule?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB4XrhYLQ4A

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/medullah/status/1781742999052931137

I made this joke and I laughed and I'm sure no one on Twitter will get it so I am bringing it here because a goon might,

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

fun fact: despite only having a free tier, Tubi is the only streaming service that is profitable, mostly due to not spending billions on original programming and getting their stuff super duper cheap.

If your user base is big enough and your adroll reasonable enough, you can make money streaming! :eng101:

Night of the Living Dead is public-domain, it would cost NetFlix nothing to put on their service, but they don't have it. Guess who does? Tubi.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

God, I hope Tubi comes to the UK soon, I don't wanna have to get a VPN to use it. Gimme my junk food movie streaming service.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is tubi the one where you have to watch ads like they dont even have an option to pay to remove them

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

yes, you have to watch ads (unless you have an ad blocker in which case Tubi is totally free and cool and good)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I would absolutely pay to see fewer ads on Tubi, I love their selection but it completely kills any tension in a film to cut to a bright, loud insurance ad in the middle of a scene

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

It absolutely does

There's a thread I contribute to that revolves around movie goons posting classic movies that they've never seen. It doesn't have a lot of activity but it's fun and has gotten me to watch several really good films that I've slept on or somehow missed over the years.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311444

The tubi catalog is really great for finding selections in the "classic" and "Oscar winners" category for poo poo I just never got around to.

Also, I browsed the horror category yesterday and the selection is pretty loving good.

Time to watch Re-Animator and Day of the Dead again for the first time in 15 or 20 years

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I would absolutely pay to see fewer ads on Tubi, I love their selection but it completely kills any tension in a film to cut to a bright, loud insurance ad in the middle of a scene

True, but that's where that poo poo starts.

Netflix and Prime have already started loving with us by making us pay AGAIN for no ads, even though all of us already signed up for the service based upon that promise/offer. I believe MAX is gonna start that poo poo again too. I think that's the business model now: NO ADS!!! and then, once they have a dedicated user base, suddenly the shakedown fuckery starts. You Tube recently started flagging people with ad blockers and it loving sucks. That, along with what Prime did really grinds my gears because God knows Bezos needs another $24 a year from me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Youtube threw me a 1 minute unskippable ad the other day so I closed thr video

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, Youtube's actively fighting through adblockers now https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/15/24131338/youtube-ad-blocker-crackdown-mobile-apps

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tubi has a better EVERYTHING than basically every streaming service unless you're specifically a Disney weirdo. It's got Criterion type poo poo, it's got Shudder type poo poo. I go on Netflix and Prime and unless it's been like 8 months it's a bunch of "poo poo, poo poo, seen it, poo poo, seen it", there's barely anything good that i haven't already seen. And yeah with all the paid services adding tiers and restrictions and squeezing people, I'm fine with an actually good free service with ads, I just mute that poo poo and smoke a bowl or do some cleaning.
I will say though I got obsessed with FF so hard that I basically have exhausted all Tubi has to offer. 😭😭😭 like getting into random crap college films practically.

And yall have convinced me. Time to sit down and actually watch these ape movies. They're not conveniently placed together in any given streaming app I don't think (like the times I decided to run through all of Final Destination for example) but gently caress it I'll figure it out :filez:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MacheteZombie posted:

Ublock Origin, my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Tubi's big benefit is that, along with Criterion, it's one of the few streaming services with easy ways to actually discover things to watch thanks to very specific and robust genre categories. Seriously, those two and Shudder are the only streaming services that feel like they want me watching the stuff in their catalogue.