Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i remember being vaguely upset that the cubs didn't sign abreu last year although a lot of that would be just because it would annoy white sox fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
who knew you'd rather have hosmer than abreu in 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It is very normal in baseball for a manager to stick with a veteran through at least a few months of not hitting, waiting for him to turn it around. To dispassionate observers like ourselves it is crystal clear that Abreu is finished, but it looks different and quite distorted from inside the clubhouse.

A brand new manager who is replacing a managerial legend, managing in the Show for the very first time, and managing one of the oldest teams in baseball, is going to be especially slow to bench a struggling vet. The front office really should be taking the decision out of his hands by just releasing Abreu. But ehhhhhh he's still owed another $40M so let's see if his bat heats up, etc.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mets might not be total poo poo?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

belli went yard in his first 4/20 ab

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

the loving audacity of Yankees fans to boo Aaron Judge

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AndrewP posted:

If he doesn’t want to get booed, all he has to do is exceed our unrealistic expectations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

AndrewP posted:

He should have 10 home runs by now the loving bum

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Unrealistic to expect that of him without the special rocket balls

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

The Pussy Boss posted:

Patrick Bailey went 4 for 4 on his bobblehead day, including the first kayak shot that I've ever seen

https://twitter.com/FoulTerritoryTV/status/1781804636858429649

you have gottttt to get the authenticator to get this one. baseball is full of dumb oddities like this, the splash hit that didn't.

weird junk like that is what makes it baseball man

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/josecanseco/status/1781859174759973245?s=46

why not

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is very normal in baseball for a manager to stick with a veteran through at least a few months of not hitting, waiting for him to turn it around. To dispassionate observers like ourselves it is crystal clear that Abreu is finished, but it looks different and quite distorted from inside the clubhouse.

A brand new manager who is replacing a managerial legend, managing in the Show for the very first time, and managing one of the oldest teams in baseball, is going to be especially slow to bench a struggling vet. The front office really should be taking the decision out of his hands by just releasing Abreu. But ehhhhhh he's still owed another $40M so let's see if his bat heats up, etc.

Plus, it's not like they have a good replacement. Singleton is replacement level and won't get any better, Diaz and Kessenger are fill ins who normally play other positions. May as well play him and hope he can turn it around. I assume after another month they will either trade for somebody, call somebody up, or just run Kessenger/Singleton out there regardless.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
N: Travis
V: d'Arnaud should be player of the week

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LOL, he probably just cosmic karma-jinxed it so they never go to Vegas because *reasons*.

...and that is how 'American League Baseball Team®' was founded.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Konstantin posted:

Plus, it's not like they have a good replacement. Singleton is replacement level and won't get any better, Diaz and Kessenger are fill ins who normally play other positions. May as well play him and hope he can turn it around. I assume after another month they will either trade for somebody, call somebody up, or just run Kessenger/Singleton out there regardless.

Joey Loperfido seems to be doing good right now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

frank schwindel is playing for the long island ducks, but it's possible he might be interested in playing for the astros

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

frank schwindel is playing for the long island ducks, but it's possible he might be interested in playing for the astros

Crane eyeing the Eric Hosmer button and sweating

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
GOMS is back and better than ever!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Its Rinaldo posted:

GOMS is back and better than ever!

First team they've played who is under .500 and they did exactly what they should. Good to see.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Red Sox Gen-Z pitchers seem to be pretty good. It sucks rooting for guys named Kutter and Tanner though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Red Sox Gen-Z pitchers seem to be pretty good. It sucks rooting for guys named Kutter and Tanner though.

How's his cut fastball?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's the 2023 yankees + Soto. They probably make the playoffs but they aren't winning the division and they will most likely eat poo poo early in the playoffs. Too many zeros in the lineup. What a loving disgrace that was today.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mustached Demon posted:

How's his cut fastball?

Out of the three pitches he primarily throws, Kutter's cutter is arguably the worst one in terms of Whiff% and Put Away%

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

How's his cut fastball?

I'm not sure how to parse this histogram exactly but whatever it is, its working so far this year.

e: I guess it means its slower than average but effective

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have listened to this so you don't have to. My verdict:

Don't ever listen to this.

You know how celebrities will grab a coauthor or ghostwriter for their autobiographies and it just sounds like a really uninteresting recollection of things that happened, rather than having any real story or interesting hook beyond "book by famous person"? It's that, but with all the formulaic trappings of horribly slick post-9/11 country. It's Mad Libs in a verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-fadeout structure. It hits all the high spots: God (repeatedly, unsurprising since the album is in a deep Christian label/corporate structure), good ol' family upbringing, My First Car, My Grandpa's Car, a little more God, we're country so we're better, we're American so we're better, Are Troops, and My Wife is Hot and We gently caress a Lot (it's not that blatant but there is a strong undercurrent of being fruitful and multiplying across a few tracks.)

The main standout, subject-wise, is "If You Would've Stayed", which is a 42-year-old man singing about his daddy issues. It is by far the most personal track on the album, but it's a bummer about how crap the lyrics themselves are.

Waino's lil marketing blurb for the album mentions he grabbed veteran Nashville producer and songwriter Gary Baker to work on the album, and... yeah. Baker is probably most famous for writing John Michael Montgomery's hit "I Swear", which was later covered by All-4-One to much greater success. Some of the songs are... okay. The musicianship for the most part is top-notch even if the production is a little too overdone, both of which are factors of being part of the Nashville modern country machine. The other thing Baker is famous for is Christian music, and that, as I mentioned, shows up in spades here.

Wainwright himself seems to be a capable enough vocalist to be in a competent cover band, but he's just too dang generic-sounding overall, all the little male country singer tics seem forced, and in general there's just no dynamic or emotional weight to anything. And the lyrics are just... so bad. The rhymes are terrible and predictable, the vocabulary itself is maybe 4th-grade reading level, and it pulls so many punches.

It's just not good, y'all. I'd rather listen to Creed over and over than listen to this even one more time, and I hope I forget this ever happened.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
That is an impressively in depth write-up for what I assumed was, and appears to be, a totally unremarkable text.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

now do the cowboy joe west album

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

rickiep00h posted:

I have listened to this so you don't have to. My verdict:

Don't ever listen to this.

:prepop:

Thank you for your service

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mcmagic posted:

It's the 2023 yankees + Soto. They probably make the playoffs but they aren't winning the division and they will most likely eat poo poo early in the playoffs. Too many zeros in the lineup. What a loving disgrace that was today.

I'm still upset Nestor's glorious performance went to waste.

Seven shutout innings, no walks, 9 K's? Pretty drat shiny.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Captain Log posted:

I'm still upset Nestor's glorious performance went to waste.

Seven shutout innings, no walks, 9 K's? Pretty drat shiny.

Yeah, disappointing. I was saying all offseason that while getting Soto was obviously great, they didn't do enough to turn over the rest of the lineup and trying to rely on players like Torres, Rizzo, Stanton and LeMahieu who just aren't good was doing the same kind of poo poo that has killed their chances of winning a world series since 17.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 21, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just listened to 10 seconds of Adam Wainwright. There are dozens of guys currently singing in Broadway bars in Nashville that have a better voice than him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/RhettBollinger/status/1781815961365975080

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

davecrazy posted:

These wins haven’t even seemed flukey—we might just be kinda sorta good?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

more falafel please posted:

now do the cowboy joe west album

:hmmyes:

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2024/04/ex-yankees-mets-coach-under-investigation-after-deeply-disturbing-instagram-post.html?outputType=amp

The Rockies hitting coach joined the pilots in the flight deck and pretended to fly the plane.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Not going to approach good. I draw my line at “not poo poo” and “total poo poo” was my expectations going in.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how long is alvarez going to be out

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

davecrazy posted:

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been saying they're gonna be the second wildcard for weeks now! Weeks! Well, maybe a week and a half. They're not beating total jabronis, either. They've taken a series from the Dodgers and a series from the Braves. If Kodai Senga isn't dead maybe they have enough pitching to keep them in it, though I'm not expecting more than one of Manaea, Severino, and Houser to be Taijuan Walker level actually good. The lineup should hit, tho, especially if Baty is actually a MLB quality bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

how long is alvarez going to be out

Few months