Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I'm still hoping that the Triple I Initiative becomes a bigger thing going forward, if it's happening on an annual basis, as at least some kind of minor thorn to the Game Awards. Didn't seem like it made too many waves though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

Its been fun to see gamers, and even a small number of game devs, turn on Keighley. Last year was a wake up call for a lot of people that he is kind of a tool. I know this forum has always known he sucks, but it seems like most people are just now figuring this out.

Honestly, from what I've heard, most people in the industry tolerate Keighley at best because he's basically running the two major preview events of the year now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wait did Keighley do something new to piss people off last year or is it just the cumulative effect of him wearing people down?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it was mostly the thing about how Hideo Kojima got more stage time to talk about his three faces than every winner got cumulatively to accept their awards

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah The Game Awards being effectively The Game Trailers, and every non-major award being relegated to a 30sec speed run announcement is probably what rubs people the wrong way the most.

You know, amongst the obvious Paid-To-Be-There nominees.

Like if you want to have a legitimate award show, fair cop, but it really just is a big song and dance rather than actual industry & gamer nominated awards
(But also we're all dumbfucks who just want to see new trailers)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont mind new trailers for exciting games, but like last year, there were a bunch of trailers for already existing live service games and mobile titles. Fortnite, Genshin Impact, and Honkai Star Rail all had multiple trailers / ads played that were a few minutes each.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was also the explicit refusal to even acknowledge the lovely state the industry ended 2023 in with all the layoffs when like 9 years ago he went on a 5 minute tangent about Konami not letting Kojima come over to play

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Its been fun to see gamers, and even a small number of game devs, turn on Keighley. Last year was a wake up call for a lot of people that he is kind of a tool. I know this forum has always known he sucks, but it seems like most people are just now figuring this out.

Nobody has taken the guy seriously since a lot longer ago than last year. The guy has been a walking billboard for over a decade. The dorito pope memes were from like... 2012?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, last year was when the balance shifted from “harmless dork who at least publishes a lot of good trailers” to “on the whole this is probably damaging the industry”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Complaining the Keighlys aren't a legitimate award show is kind of absurd. There are no legit award shows, they're all just goofy puffery to make the industry look good and let people see a bunch of celebrities together.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The sentiment is probably that for how many of his own farts the guy huffs, he could like at least try to pretend he's not a shill.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When he started actively snubbing everybody else in the industry actually receiving those awards in favor of people he's trying to suck up to, like Kojima, it's fair to see the people working in the industry taking their potshots at the guy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

stev posted:

Wait did Keighley do something new to piss people off last year or is it just the cumulative effect of him wearing people down?

well-liked creators like sam lake getting shooed off the stage after 30 seconds so they could show ads for starfield(???) was not the best optics

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Using a program to play a game for you is cheating

Sony - Our new patent allows you to use a program to play a game for you!*
* - Also you've been opted-in for AI training data collection are cannot opt-out

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

an emotional neil newbon getting shoved off the stage and them rushing through entire categories like best indie with a powerpoint slide so that they could show ads and have keighley's best industry friends jaw on stage for 10+ minutes endeared him to no one

award shows are always a lot of industry self-backpatting but the oscars generally don't spend half their runtime showing you upcoming trailers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

* - Also you've been opted-in for AI training data collection are cannot opt-out

Lol already talking about making games so lovely you're expected to use autopilot to skip the grind. Just leave your poo poo on all day to earn currency for a lovely game instead of them designing a good one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Lol already talking about making games so lovely you're expected to use autopilot to skip the grind. Just leave your poo poo on all day to earn currency for a lovely game instead of them designing a good one.

i think this is more intended to be like a "i can't get past this elden ring 2 section, alexa take the wheel" deal, since KMMOs with autogrinding options have been a thing for a decade at this point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vermain posted:

i think this is more intended to be like a "i can't get past this elden ring 2 section, alexa take the wheel" deal, since KMMOs with autogrinding options have been a thing for a decade at this point

Nintendo did that like ten years ago

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Nintendo did that like ten years ago

ah, but did they do it with this hot new buzzword being carelessly slathered onto everything

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They did it with Mario.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If a boobalicious anime girl pops up to do it for you Sony will be praised as heroes.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

If a boobalicious anime girl pops up to do it for you Sony will be praised as heroes.

:hmmyes:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Patent this in such a way that allows you to go after mobile gaming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vermain posted:

quote:

The patent comes with a few ideas for the implementation of this new tech, such as emulating the specific gameplay style of a gamer after learning from a few sections of repetitive gameplay, for example. Another idea is related to anticipated grinding content (AGC), giving the player the chance to turn on this option before these moments of perceived repetitive gameplay start. When playing, gamers would have the option to resume the Auto-Play Mode at any instant or receive a notification after a certain grindy section has been completed.

I'm making a joke that they're already planning to make lovely games on purpose to show off their AGC feature, but their patently specifically calls out using the tech to automate grinding in games. Which I assume is a large use case of tool assisted cheating in games, I know I basically do not play survival games without tweaking how much clicking rocks and trees I have to do before the fun building and adventuring parts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When am I going to get up and scream McDonalds before I can start the next level. So much promised to us for the future and so little delivered.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

When am I going to get up and scream McDonalds before I can start the next level. So much promised to us for the future and so little delivered.

Not enough people bought the Sony Eye

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

What's stopping you? Be the change you want to see in the world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Embracer is debracing into 3 separate companies, lol.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

year 1 AE (after embracer)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They named one of the new companies Middle Earth and Friends and another one Coffee Stain and Friends.

Lol

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

so is one of them just gonna get all the debt, is that how this works?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All that was embraced must one day be sundered. Ehehuuehehehehehee

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zokari posted:

so is one of them just gonna get all the debt, is that how this works?

They're being split up to be devoured, so I bet they've each been saddled with a carefully partitioned debt amount.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wanna grow up to be, be a debracer (debracer!)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

They named one of the new companies Middle Earth and Friends and another one Coffee Stain and Friends.

Lol

just packaging up all the important IPs into thematically appropriate bundles for ease of sale

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

just packaging up all the important IPs into thematically appropriate bundles for ease of sale

Unironically, I would play a new Tomb Raider where you explore Durin's Tomb

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Just leave your poo poo on all day to earn currency for a lovely game instead of them designing a good one.

mobile games already innovated this on the first iphone

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Embracer is debracing into 3 separate companies, lol.

:lol: Asmodee going back to being Asmodee, and surviving another day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVqozczRuuM

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

here it comes, here comes Debracer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Hwurmp posted:

here it comes, here comes Debracer