Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
There are so many reasons they should never invite kids into cockpits on flights. A bunch of lives at stake and a kid is within a foot of the off switch for all of them? And is this a flight with a single kid on it or something? What about all the other kids on the plane? gently caress them, I guess? There'd be hundreds of complaints a year.

My conclusion, the kid in a cockpit thing is only present in TV shows and movies, and the reason it happens is to convince parents it's safer to fly than road trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I did it once and Peter Graves kept trying to molest me.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I got to go into whatever they call the equivalent on the BART train when I was a kid

it was really cool in the transbay tube because the wall lights that look like lasers going by from the regular seats, you could instead see as they're coming at you

I was too young to even understand what a cool thing the driver was doing for me and have no memory of the driver, just the experience

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I was put in cockfights in the pits for passenger entertainment instead, OP.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Cubone posted:

I got to go into whatever they call the equivalent on the BART train when I was a kid

it was really cool in the transbay tube because the wall lights that look like lasers going by from the regular seats, you could instead see as they're coming at you

I was too young to even understand what a cool thing the driver was doing for me and have no memory of the driver, just the experience

That's different trains don't really crash like planes do all that often

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There actually was a case where a plane crashed because the pilots let a kid into the cockpit.

IIRC the kid fiddled with some controls and inadvertently turned off a critical safety feature in the process. By the time the pilots realized anything was wrong, it was too late. The last thing the black box recorded was one of the pilots angrily yelling at the kid, telling him the plane was gonna crash and everyone onboard including him was about to die and it was all his fault. :smith:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 22, 2024

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
The only case anyone can verify it happened is recorded because of the exact thing I said to be worried about. Theory confirmed.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I. M. Gei posted:

There actually was a case where a plane crashed because the pilots let a kid into the cockpit.

IIRC the kid fiddled with some controls and inadvertently turned off a critical safety feature in the process. By the time the pilots realized anything was wrong, it was too late. The last thing the black box recorded was one of the pilots angrily yelling at the kid, telling him the plane was gonna crash and everyone onboard including him was about to die and it was all his fault. :smith:

lol :(

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

I. M. Gei posted:

drat if i were that kid i'd be thinking about that for the rest of my life

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
They wouldn't let me in because they thoguht I was going to do 9/11 which was weird because it was like 1993

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I got to do so in a 747 somewhere over the Pacific Ocean in the mid-90s. I even recently asked mum whether there were any photo evidence of it but she claims not, which sucks because a pic of it would be cool street cred.

So I guess you can just assume Im making this up.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

They wouldn't let me in because they thoguht I was going to do 9/11 which was weird because it was like 1993

9/11 happens every year

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Nam Taf posted:

I got to do so in a 747 somewhere over the Pacific Ocean in the mid-‘90s. I even recently asked mum whether there were any photo evidence of it but she claims not, which sucks because a pic of it would be cool street cred.

So I guess you can just assume I’m making this up.

I assume you are making this up.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

i got sucked off while getting sucked out of a 747 [storytime] [not clickbait]

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I remember being allowed into the cockpit for a few minutes when I was around 8 or 9. They gave me a pair of plastic wings to pin on my shirt. That would have been 1979 or 1980, and I was flying alone. Pretty sure it was my first time flying.

I also remember puking up the pancakes they served on the flight.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Grem posted:

That's different trains don't really crash like planes do all that often

Trains crash way more often than planes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

isaboo posted:

I remember being allowed into the cockpit for a few minutes when I was around 8 or 9. They gave me a pair of plastic wings to pin on my shirt. That would have been 1979 or 1980, and I was flying alone. Pretty sure it was my first time flying.

same except at 6, in 1993, and they kept me there from about halfway in, right up to getting to the terminal, and decided it would be funny to get the six year old to do all the announcements over the intercom

apparently this was considered "a little concerning" by some of the other passengers. can't figure why.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I used to get put in overhead storage to save on ticket costs.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

same except at 6, in 1993, and they kept me there from about halfway in, right up to getting to the terminal, and decided it would be funny to get the six year old to do all the announcements over the intercom

apparently this was considered "a little concerning" by some of the other passengers. can't figure why.

How come you didn't think about the kids that might have hurt feelings because only you got to go in?

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I've been flying with my parents since I was 0 years old in 1992 and I begged everyone CONSTANTLY every year to let me see the cockpit and I never got to :smith:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I've been flying with my parents since I was 0 years old in 1992 and I begged everyone CONSTANTLY every year to let me see the cockpit and I never got to :smith:

Sorry apparently you need to have parents that don't love you enough to fly with you

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Grem posted:

Sorry apparently you need to have parents that don't love you enough to fly with you

I shoulda tried to make a break for it and gone for the cockpit door, but alas, they just let me wander up and down the aisle and sometimes the flight attendants would give me a biscuit to shut me up

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

i went through the onboard luggage scanner thing and it picked up my epi pen but they search my friends bag behind mine instead lol. i could have brought a gun and flown into the world trade center, killing 2,753 lol. i think about that a lot

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I went to visit family in Italy when I was in like, fourth grade, and the flight attendants on the KLM 747 let me see the cockpit. Two very Dutch pilots were sitting there with their legs up on the dashboard. One of them went "HALLO" and that was pretty much it.

I was (still am) a big Beavis & Butthead fan and on one of the flights back I shouted "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE" on takeoff and my Dad told me to shut up.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I. M. Gei posted:

the kid was the first person to notice he hosed the plane up lol

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

PokeJoe posted:

the kid was the first person to notice he hosed the plane up lol

"Turn left, Eldar! NOOO!!!"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oh poo poo why did you guys put me up here

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

getting yelled at by your dad as the Airbus you're on crashes into a mountain after a near-successful recovery from a straight dive because you hosed something up and accidentally suicided your family and 72 other people must be a rough way to go out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dad just sucks at his job

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I never flew until I was an adult and they never let me into the cockpit no matter how many times I ask to sit on the pilot's lap

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

do you like movies about gladiators

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

MrQwerty posted:

getting yelled at by your dad as the Airbus you're on crashes into a mountain after a near-successful recovery from a straight dive because you hosed something up and accidentally suicided your family and 72 other people must be a rough way to go out

I was thinking a little 4-6 year old kid playing with buttons and that hopefully he wouldn't fully understand how bad it was.

But no he was 15.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I was thinking a little 4-6 year old kid playing with buttons and that hopefully he wouldn't fully understand how bad it was.

But no he was 15.

Not only that, but

quote:

Despite the struggles of both pilots to save the aircraft, it was later concluded that if they had simply let go of the control column after the first spin, aerodynamic principles would have caused the plane to return to level flight, thus preventing the crash.

Dumbass pilots could have just taken their hands off the stick and they would have all been fine lol

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
He also probably knew drat well not to gently caress with anything, too.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄  ̄)づ♥(∀●)

Devils Affricate posted:

Dumbass pilots could have just taken their hands off the stick and they would have all been fine lol

part of the determination was that they were unfamiliar with the aircraft

just great SOP all around from Aeroflot

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Devils Affricate posted:

PokeJoe posted:

dad just sucks at his job

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

When I was a kid, the pilots let me tour the cockpit before taking off when I was flying alone one time. Sadly I was not allowed to fly the plane.

I think it was a common thing pre 9/11.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

R.L. Stine posted:

i went through the onboard luggage scanner thing and it picked up my epi pen but they search my friends bag behind mine instead lol. i could have brought a gun and flown into the world trade center, killing 2,753 lol. i think about that a lot

the terrorism version of looking at a jackson pollock and thinking "I could've done that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I got to go up to the cockpit (and got a pin-on set of wings) circa 1997. It was a different time