Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Marlins seemingly exist just to perpetually torment the Cubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

The Marlins seemingly exist just to perpetually torment the Cubs
Correct

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well glad I got to see Kyle in a Cubs uniform for possibly the last time :(

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Went to the game and got to walk the warning track with the kid before the game, so that was fun. Watching Kyle get clobbered not so much.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The 2023 Chicago White Sox might be the worst baseball team I've ever seen

really have some hopes for this, maybe they fizzle out like last year’s A’s but eventually someone’s gonna make a real run at the ’03 Tigers for worst team this century and this Sox squad just might have what it takes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Went to the game and got to walk the warning track with the kid before the game, so that was fun. Watching Kyle get clobbered not so much.

I was there as well. Which one of you did I see wearing a literal matt mervis jersey at the check.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Anthony Rendon has disrespected baseball and The Ghosts are going to continue getting his rear end

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's one theory. Another theory would be that he takes every little ouchie as a good excuse to not play baseball for a few more months

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

I was there as well. Which one of you did I see wearing a literal matt mervis jersey at the check.

LOL, I hope he got that at a deep discount. I wore my Ernie Banks blue pinstripe jersey for a change.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So is Kyle just done? Or could he move to the bullpen possibly?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I think I'll set my expectations this year to finish middle division and as a reach we can get the wildcard cause anything more than that is just asking for disappointment at this rate. Like, I get April baseball and all but woof.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Dameius posted:

I think I'll set my expectations this year to finish middle division and as a reach we can get the wildcard cause anything more than that is just asking for disappointment at this rate. Like, I get April baseball and all but woof.

The 9th yesterday convinced me we're just cursed

lost season type poo poo

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The Brewers kicking rear end is an unexpected but highly enjoyable development

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

The 9th yesterday convinced me we're just cursed

lost season type poo poo

The bill has come due for dominating for so long.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

elentar posted:

really have some hopes for this, maybe they fizzle out like last year’s A’s but eventually someone’s gonna make a real run at the ’03 Tigers for worst team this century and this Sox squad just might have what it takes

2023 As had a .309 win% and the 03 Tigers had an outstanding .265 win%

This year so far

Houston - .304
Miami - .261
Colorado - .238
Chicago - .143

Astros will figure it out, but there are some truly phenomenally bad teams this year

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Astros will figure it out

Hopefully not for several more days

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
the marlins are obviously worse than last year and will struggle in the east but they're better than this at least, all those one-run games they won the first half of last year are going against them so far

the rockies are pretty goddamn bad but i don't think tigers bad

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The 2023 Chicago White Sox might be the worst baseball team I've ever seen

I've got good news for you about the 2024 White Sox! :v:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hopefully not for several more days

Y'all'll likely get Verlander or Blanco but maybe not both so you're likely to only drop one game in the series with two freebies.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Elder's coming up to start tomorrow, hope he doesn't suck

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

2023 As had a .309 win% and the 03 Tigers had an outstanding .265 win%

This year so far

Houston - .304
Miami - .261
Colorado - .238
Chicago - .143

Astros will figure it out, but there are some truly phenomenally bad teams this year

I think Miami will get it together to some extent. Their offense seems decent and their rotation is passable.

Colorado will stay miserable and I'm really holding out hope that the Sox beat the Tigers' record. I catch chunks of their games regularly being in market, and they are just loving dreadful. Absolutely rotten from top to bottom. I don't even know what beacon of light fans can latch onto. On top of everything on the field, they replaced their amazing PBP guy with some generic drip so the broadcasts aren't even as good. I really feel bad for Sox fans. Reinsdorf has one foot in the grave. He needs to sell to someone who gives a poo poo already.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I did not watch a single second of the Dodgers game today, so naturally Glasnow pitched 8 scoreless, Ohtani and Pages homered, and they beat the Mets 10-0

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Finally saw Ohtani crank one in person, extremely cool

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Dameius posted:

The bill has come due for dominating for so long.

worth it

this team is a competent bullpen from being like .500 at worst to this point. bullpens are fungible as hell, but not necessarily in-season so might be hosed!

bawfuls posted:

I did not watch a single second of the Dodgers game today, so naturally Glasnow pitched 8 scoreless, Ohtani and Pages homered, and they beat the Mets 10-0

man this is like the reverse script of the Tungsten Arm tweet

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

m's should have swept the rockies, but i'll take the series win. hope the bats stay hot against texas.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The White Sox just have this aura of an old person a couple months from crumbling into dust. I don't know why, but they're just so loving defeated on every level.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Captain Log posted:

The White Sox just have this aura of an old person a couple months from crumbling into dust. I don't know why, but they're just so loving defeated on every level.

You know how some dogs and their owners begin to look alike after a while?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why did the white Sox implode. Weren’t they in the playoffs like two years ago

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Eloy kept getting injured and the core they called up hasn’t panned out. Seems like a nightmare rebuild scenario.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah like a lot of it is that Jerry gutted the team and refused to add around the core, but also the core itself just kinda flamed out. Eloy can't stay healthy, Anderson fell off a cliff, Moncada never came close to living up to his ceiling outside of one outlier year, Robert is good but didn't turn in a fully healthy season until the writing was already on the wall for the rest of the group, Giolito and Cease can't decide if they're good or not year to year, Kopech had a bunch of off field issues and now appears to have firmly been demoted to the pen, the list goes on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everyone knew Glasknow would throw 220 ip and win a cy young as soon as the dodgers got him

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
ChiSox farm system is also pretty bad, a few impact guys at the top but doesn't appear to have the depth to supply a lot of contributors to the major league roster any time soon. They have the 5th pick in this year's draft but no one from this class is on a Skenes/Crews/Langford path to be a game-changer in short order.

Couldn't happen to a nicer owner imho

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

euphronius posted:

Everyone knew Glasknow would throw 220 ip and win a cy young as soon as the dodgers got him

He's thrown 37 so far. That ain't 220.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

Why did the white Sox implode. Weren’t they in the playoffs like two years ago

Jerry Reinsdorf is an idiot and decided to close their window early by hiring Tony LaRussa, and everyone kept getting hurt or being really inconsistent.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

worth it

this team is a competent bullpen from being like .500 at worst to this point. bullpens are fungible as hell, but not necessarily in-season so might be hosed!

man this is like the reverse script of the Tungsten Arm tweet

Agreed, the party bus was gonna run out gas at some point and after the last ring we were operating on borrowed time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wrigley Field replaced the grilled hot dog/polish station with a taco stand and I'm losing my loving mind!!!!!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jerry Reinsdorf is an idiot and decided to close their window early by hiring Tony LaRussa, and everyone kept getting hurt or being really inconsistent.

In hindsight, TLR and Mercedes were natural enemies.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Harper to IL with paternity leave

Congrats on the sex

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
news: craig counsell the cubs manager
view: is a man I think is a big dingus

Adbot