Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

imagine playing a game, seeing that you get to play as this, and thinking its a downgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What do these titles do in Tales of the Abyss?

Like, both my characters have them, and Tear just got a 2nd, but it doesn't look like they affect stats, and changing Tear's title didn't trigger any new event scenes or anything.

The game didn't offer a tutorial on them when she got the 2nd one, so I'm a bit confused.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The real downgrade is when you unlock the next form and it has better stats but no faces in cutscenes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Annath posted:

Like, both my characters have them, and Tear just got a 2nd, but it doesn't look like they affect stats, and changing Tear's title didn't trigger any new event scenes or anything.

The game didn't offer a tutorial on them when she got the 2nd one, so I'm a bit confused.

IIRC they're just achievements from before the achievement era. It's only in later games that they start doing things?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Clarste posted:

IIRC they're just achievements from before the achievement era. It's only in later games that they start doing things?

That's what I thought too, but I found a list of some titles in Abyss that show bizarre bonuses, like "heal 2% of hp if you stand still for 15 seconds in battle".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
titles are 90% aesthetic in games that aren't tales of graces. there's some games where they give you passive stat ups but in symphonia/abyss/vesperia you're mostly going to be thinking about them for costume titles that change appearance, the passives you get from some of them aren't particularly important. in tales of rebirth they just made all those passives apply regardless of what title is equipped which i think was the best approach to that system

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Morpheus posted:

the combat is kinda just picking things from a list so that they overlap without any knowledge of why I would want to pick one thing over another.

It has all the normal stuff going on underneath the hood. Attacks can be blunt, slash, pierce, etc. Enemies will be weak to various types. Then you have the SaGa specific stuff with interrupts, counters, etc. A lot of this stuff is cover in the notes section in the game.

Going for combos/showstoppers is going to be the main thing though. The tricky part is just how that layers with the enemies going for their own combos and showstoppers, and like all these other conditional mechanics.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I love the sad scottish can of beans

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Annath posted:

Some titles have cool effects (Anise's Mini Maven is basically amazing), some will give you costumes, some are basically so minuscule it does not matter

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Also spare yourself a massive headache and look up a sidequest guide because some of the opportunity windows for these are just comically short. Like a five minute visit in town where you only see one screen short

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Emerald demo did gave the impression that the game is going to be easier than Scarlet Graces which I am a bit bum by but its probably a good thing considering how many people were absolutely destroyed by boar hell in Urpina's story lol.

Hopefully difficulty ramps up throughout.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Snooze Cruise posted:

bad taste!

god... im so excited to play the buddy cops...
im gay

I have good taste, I want to play the cool woman and not the sad can

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The Chairman posted:

I have good taste, I want to play the cool woman and not the sad can

look at this doofus not respecting the body autonomy of diva no. 5

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

look at this doofus not respecting the body autonomy of diva no. 5

To be fair that is the plot of her story

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I kind of roll my eyes when I see a game with "Choices Matter" as one of the tags on Steam. Like what does that even mean? That the game reacts to the dialogue options you pick? I dunno, I guess that reactivity in an RPG is still a novelty to some gamers?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that is the plot of her story

oh i see... the chairman is roleplaying :O

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I have until July to beat the second half of CS4 and Reverie...I don't know if I can make it...

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I liked PS demo guy's interactions in the witch world. He seems like a nice doofus. Plus he's voiced by the guy who did Partitio so that's cool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why play saga if you don't want a character who's just a strange being

Vargatron posted:

I kind of roll my eyes when I see a game with "Choices Matter" as one of the tags on Steam. Like what does that even mean? That the game reacts to the dialogue options you pick? I dunno, I guess that reactivity in an RPG is still a novelty to some gamers?

those tags are community set so if there's anything that doesn't make sense, it's because the system is not set up for these to make sense

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Colonel posted:

those tags are community set so if there's anything that doesn't make sense, it's because the system is not set up for these to make sense

oh okay, that makes more sense.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah when I see Choices Matter I have the expectation of like, this is going to resemble a CYOA in some respects. But community tags are useless so....

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah most Steam tags are Byzantine memes and injokes. So like, any given tag is probably sarcastic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the bridget dlc on steam is tagged 'psychological horror'

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The Colonel posted:

see, here's the thing: I think "cool Scottish singing idol robot" is a cool strange being, and then the game is like "no you're going to get sad monotone workerbot instead" and I'm sure that's also a cool strange being but it's not the one the game was setting me up for, and it's a disappointment because I like cool singing characters in games

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Endorph posted:

abyss, xillia, and berseria are the good ones that are closest to symphonia.

im not a big fan of vesperia but a lot of people who love symphonia love it too so it might also be worth a look

if i had to start with one, abyss would have the least new QoL features and the like bc it's older right?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umN7YOsmGl4&t=33s

Singing characters you say?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
94% map completion in unicorn overlord... I think I can finish before Emerald Saga, whew. This last stretch of Unicorn feels like a victory lap though, I think I've drag clicked 3 squads across the map for the last 5 fights like a late stage Starcraft zergling horde.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I have until July to beat the second half of CS4 and Reverie...I don't know if I can make it...

I believe in you :)

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I’m just content knowing I will always be at least 3 games behind.

Especially considering I had to play the Crossbell arc this year now that it exists in English officially.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does the next trails game end in a giant cliffhanger like the first game of an arc tends to?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Wait, the cool Scottish singing robot lady from the Steam demo isn't who actually joins you?

I admit I haven't played the demo yet beyond checking out the English VA because it was hilarious.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Does the next trails game end in a giant cliffhanger like the first game of an arc tends to?

Nope, both it and the game after it end with questions but without cliffhangers

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

mycot posted:

Yeah most Steam tags are Byzantine memes and injokes. So like, any given tag is probably sarcastic.

All touhou games are tagged "faith" which is funny to me. Also like two non-touhou religious games that didn't get the memo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Chairman posted:

see, here's the thing: I think "cool Scottish singing idol robot" is a cool strange being, and then the game is like "no you're going to get sad monotone workerbot instead" and I'm sure that's also a cool strange being but it's not the one the game was setting me up for, and it's a disappointment because I like cool singing characters in games

To be fair I think being disappointed that the cool Scottish lady robot gets rebooted, directionless and purposeless and jumps into a retro Game Boy SaGa mech suit is kinda meant to suck and motivate you to fix said situation. Or at least, I felt more motivated than with the goals of most SaGa protagonists I’ve played so far.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Trails from Zero had cliffhanger hooks but also ended a nice self contained narrative tbh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Annath posted:

Wait, the cool Scottish singing robot lady from the Steam demo isn't who actually joins you?

I admit I haven't played the demo yet beyond checking out the English VA because it was hilarious.

She is a main character but she loses her body early in the game, replacing it with one she found in a scrap heap. Her gameplay gimmick is switching her body though, so I assume you'll get the diva one back by the end.

She stays Scottish even in her new body.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Annath posted:

Her story is that she sings a forbidden song and gets rebooted to factory settings, only without the ability to sing, despite being a singing robot, leaving her despondent and purposeless. She then gets recognized by people from when she was still a celebrity and hops into a retro tin can robot so as not to draw attention to herself. Not really a spoiler because you don’t even get to do any gameplay before all that plays out.

edit: beaten

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Radia posted:

if i had to start with one, abyss would have the least new QoL features and the like bc it's older right?

It has Free Run, which will feel like a godsend if your last reference point is Symphonia. I don't think it's too lacking in QoL outside the main huge one of having asinine quest triggers, but Vesperia is as bad or worse about that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'll have to actually play the game to see if I like BeanBot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Diva 5's entire thing is that she swaps robot bodies and she is extremely Scottish in each one.