Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just don't get the point of making a game take twice as long to be half as fun

Mastering the mechanics of a game give me no joy. The grind and failure and grind and failure until you eke out wins is just repetition, I'd rather spend that frustration getting good at real world hobbies I have and save games for relaxation

in the case of Death Stranding it's really about getting you to play with all the toys they give you. There's a lot of tools that you won't bother testing on lower difficulties because there's no real incentive to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

genericnick posted:

That's one way of dealing with the too many games problem. Considering this.

I've been platting them and 6 is next up for me. 4 is by far the worst game in the series imo, and I doubt any of the games I haven't played yet will be anywhere near as bad.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think avoiding options that make the game experience not something you desire is fine and valid (it's why I mostly avoid multiplayer games, since my videogame time is generally my unwind-from-dealing-with-other-people time) but there's also nothing wrong (and plenty right) with trying new things/new options

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
playing at higher difficulties hones your gamer senses

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Games should have a single difficulty that is carefully calibrated to deliver whatever experience the devs had in mind, be it a cakewalk or a genuine challenge. Doom 2016/Eternal make multiple difficulties work because the games are designed and tested for Nightmare (which is why it feels so good), but nobody else seems to be learning from this lesson that it's easier to make something hard easier than it is to make something easy harder, so a firmer stance is required.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All games should have the difficulty curve of Tetris

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dang, too many good games.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dang, too many good games.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

playing at higher difficulties hones your gamer senses
it's like eating spice foods; at some point you basically have to to feel it. also like with spice foods, you're at greater and greater risk of mentioning it at every opportunity.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

more games need to have their highest difficulty be named "Caliente"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i play all my games on Venti

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

more games need to have their highest difficulty be named "Caliente"

Didn't no more heroes do this?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Didn't no more heroes do this?

if guacamelee didnt do it, thats a missed opportunity right there

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Decided to restart in KCD last night. I hosed up the encounter with the town drunk so bad I burned alive 10/10

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Son of Sorrow posted:

Decided to restart in KCD last night. I hosed up the encounter with the town drunk so bad I burned alive 10/10

jesus christ be praised

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I just don't get the point of making a game take twice as long to be half as fun

Mastering the mechanics of a game give me no joy. The grind and failure and grind and failure until you eke out wins is just repetition, I'd rather spend that frustration getting good at real world hobbies I have and save games for relaxation

As with a lot of things the grind and failure is usually mostly in the beginning and more a matter of attitude and perspective. By the time I plat Bloodborne for example I could finish the game in a pretty leisurely 6-8 hours just because I knew the map layouts, enemy placements, attack patterns and weaknesses, the best tool for the job, game mechanics, and admittedly just had faith that if I've beat it before I could beat it again.

It also took me three years of on and off attempting and quitting after repeatedly hitting a wall with the first area end of level boss, but it was worth it to push through because it ended up being my favourite game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

you do you, but kind of a weird thing to say about Death Stranding specifically where the difficulties are practically indistinguishable and there’s almost no reason not to play on the hardest so you can be Legend of Legend of Legend

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

all games must be played on the hardest difficulty or you are not getting your monies worth

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have a terrible memory so I can never speedrun anything

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

time to play game

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I will never play a game at the highest difficulty. My tryhard era has long passed. I now play games for power fantasy instead of personal development.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1783133869912539521

update: they patched it out

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
tried out The Planet Crafter

did not like it, I find I can only tolerate survival games if the graphics are top notch, and this looks worse than No Mans Sky

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

craven

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Fuckt Tupp posted:

update: they patched it out

thought this was supposed to be the non-WOKE game smdh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I have beaten a giant urn that spewed lasers. It was pretty hard!

I also found the new archetype, it was pretty easy to find: you just needed to wait multiple minutes in a sand trap at the one spot where no arrow traps would hit you.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I read the twitter thread everyone is citing with how terrible the localization is for Eiyuden Chronicles and it seems to be a lot of teeth grinding over utterly pedantic differences and one character being called a chud. can't say I'm concerned

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

taking out the Hard R graffiti is unacceptable, however. korea stays losing

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

once again catering to liberals

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it really comes down to what the higher difficulty is. are the limitations and challenges presented to the player interesting or does everything just have a giant HP pool so the difficulty stems from executing the same thing you did in normal difficulty but longer?

ff7 remake hard mode was interesting. dynamic hard modes like god hand are interesting. i even like the extra challenge in owlcat games or Pillars where encounter composition changes. there's a lot of bad hard modes though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bad translations are a plus, way better than lovingly and exactingly translated fluff and filler

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dreylad posted:

it really comes down to what the higher difficulty is. are the limitations and challenges presented to the player interesting or does everything just have a giant HP pool so the difficulty stems from executing the same thing you did in normal difficulty but longer?

ff7 remake hard mode was interesting. dynamic hard modes like god hand are interesting. i even like the extra challenge in owlcat games or Pillars where encounter composition changes. there's a lot of bad hard modes though.

god hand is one of the best games ever made. why can't every game be as good as god hand

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's not even bad, looking at the side by side comparisons they're holding up as an irrefutable point. it's a localization that caters to the current generation and that drives a bunch of conservative weebs nuts

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'll admit even I kind of rolled my eyes at the chud line but lol imagine getting pissed over this

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Buck Wildman posted:

I'll admit even I kind of rolled my eyes at the chud line but lol imagine getting pissed over this

maybe it was a reference to the classic 1984 sci-fi horror film starring john heard and daniel stern

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Fuckt Tupp posted:

maybe it was a reference to the classic 1984 sci-fi horror film starring john heard and daniel stern

finally a localization meant for me, the true connoisseur

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This guys are sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I orbed so much that the audio is now permanently hosed
it also takes 10 seconds to load the save

back to ULTRAKILL I guess