Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vermain posted:

the replacement is even better

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1783158271400182223/photo/1

just some loving space funeral-esque "CRIME" graffiti

Reading this in the same cadence as Snufkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNpIn4fJrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

going from hard r to crime sure makes me think they are trying to say something here

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Oh poo poo, will all the pervs declare it "CENSORED!" now and turn on it? We can only hope.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Apparently the game itself is pretty alright

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Crimer

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

less-than-stellar blade :D

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

considering shift up is a korean company, i'm gonna go with this being an instance of some hapless level designer being handed a bunch of graffiti tags he can't read and getting caught up in a cosmic coincidence

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently the game itself is pretty alright

i caught some footage from ongbal and it looks like an honestly pretty good third person ARPG, and the horniness angle honestly adds some weird charm to it, like someone turning their heavily modded version of skyrim into a game

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How pervy is it? We talking Itagaki Ninja Gaiden level or is it more of a Bayonetta

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

How pervy is it? We talking Itagaki Ninja Gaiden level or is it more of a Bayonetta

it's nier: automata with less overt restraint

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

What are walking simulators called in Japanese?

visual novels.
and they've further evolved to not even need the walking

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF3: Made it through Eureka and unlocked the Ultimate Weapons/final jobs. Rolling with Ninja/Black Belt/Sage/Sage is so fun, everyone is just so beefy. Time to tackle the endgame :hellyeah:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm playing SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman. It's like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, but as a platformer. In any given area, you have a to-do list of tasks or tricks you're supposed to perform or puzzles you're supposed to solve in order to earn a tile with a letter of SpongeBob's name. For example, in one area, you have to "Ride the White Jellyfish" as it floats under bridges such that you have to hop onto the bridge and then back onto the jellyfish. I've been using save states in order to make it easier to repeat difficult jumps.

The game retains the early-season SpongeBob sense of humor. In one area, Patrick has a stomach ache because he ate a "square thing", one of those square tiles, so you have to ground pound it out of him and then beat him in a race along a Mario Kart-like path, or else he eats the tile again and starts complaining about the stomach ache in a loop. The game doesn't seem to have boss battles. In one area, a clown hired by Plankton for his amusement park says you'll have to defeat him to earn the bus ticket to access the amusement park, and then he gives it up with one hit because he doesn't get paid enough.

The graphics have aged well because it's a cartoon, so a lot of the 3D models use solid colors instead of textures. All the voice actors reprise their roles, except the French narrator is voiced by someone other than Tom Kenny.
The game has the second-highest review score among SpongeBob video games on Metacritic, behind Battle for Bikini Bottom, which had a recent remake. I'm dumping the textures in PCSX2 as I play, and maybe I'll post it on the emulator forums to have someone make a texture pack if I manage to finish the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzFaoExCYjI

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

visual novels.
and they've further evolved to not even need the walking

that's an L in the middle there, not an N

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jeff Gerstmann calls them Auto Shooting Survival games, or "rear end Games"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
stellar blade has no auto shooter elements :confused:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
nier automata does though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, there's a lot of rear end in Nier Automata

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

Reading this in the same cadence as Snufkin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYNpIn4fJrA

I heard the Snufkin game was good

https://twitter.com/MartinKvale/status/1783021446219837791

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Jay Rust posted:

As the first third of 2024 comes to an end, it’s a good time to reflect on one’s gaming. For anyone interested in my own gaming adventures, here’s a quick write-up of the every title I’ve played so far this year (I keep a list, for goty thread reasons):

- baldur’s gate 3: got pretty far into act 2 of 3, dropped it when a patch came out that upset my mods, haven’t gone back since. A game I really like but could never love, for some maybe unfair and nitpick-y reasons that I don’t need to get into
- dicey dungeons: a game I didn’t really give much time when it first came out, but on revisit I learned to appreciate a lot, especially the substantial gameplay twists the game introduces on the harder difficulties. Wish the game would shut the gently caress up between runs tho
- fire emblem engage: dropped like halfway through, probably the last fire emblem I’m gonna play in a long time. I’m not disappointed, I just don’t think I like fire emblem
- morrowind: heavily modded. Still rules, still rocks, extremely cool
- balatro: hell yeah
- europa universalis 4, anbennar mod: my forevergame. Every gamer has one
- diablo 4: really boring. Dropped very early, might return to later, maybe if I get depressed again
- elden ring: 100%ing it on a new character in preparation of the dlc. Still a GOATed (greatest o’ all time) game. Also playing through a co-op overhauled modded version with my brother, yum. True gaming.

I've played through these:

- NieR:Automata: Beautiful, wonderful game. Definitely has problems, but a great experience. Love me some Yoko Taro weirdness.
- Cyberpunk 2077 / Phantom Liberty: Every single frame of this game is a breathtaking achievement and for reasons I don't understand I hated this game so much.
- Jagged Alliance 3: Finally a sequel to Jagged Alliance 2!
- Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut: Anime girls with surprisingly large breasts in a colorful but absurdly annoying metroidvania

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My go(the first third of)ty is Unicorn Overlord, followed by Doom Eternal and then Lunacid

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

released-in-2024 games i've played so far: Islands of Insight, the beginning of Eiyuden Chronicles, Botany Manor, Wrath of Aeon, I Am Future (EA content), 20 Small Mazes, House Builder

i have access to these: Tales of Kenzera, Harold Halibut, Another Crab's Treasure (tomorrow)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

2024 games i have played so far in 2024:

tekken 8
palworld
helldivers 2
dragon's dogma 2

not a long list and im mainly twiddling my thumbs waiting for Dawntrail. i played a bit of stardew valley but there's so much poo poo in that game now that it actually feels kind of stressful to play.

i'm hoping Sand Land can occupy my attention for a while

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

So far this year I've finished
Gnosia
Case of the Golden idol
Princess peach showtime
Vampire survivors
Metroid prime remastered
a replay of saints row 4, and a replay of Xenoblade Chronicles X before the online went down.

Played but not completed ff14 and ff rebirth.

Goty thread has been putting in great work helping find the best games to play.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Thanks for sharing, everybody. As for mine...

January was one of those split months: Eco/Astral Ascent/Roots of Yggdrasil. Eco was at the bottom of my GotY list last year, but this year I'm giving it a dishonorable mention, because after a few weeks of playing, I have to conclude that once again in practice the game never seems to live up to the promise and you end up in a mess of a situation with your neighbors. Which is a lot to ask for a game all about cooperating with a large number of players. It's getting replaced by Roots of Yggdrasil, with the hopes that it will better justify that spot after adding more content during Early Access. Astral Ascent was good but didn't grip me, and I'm hoping to try again with it... eventually.

February through March was all Balatro and Helldivers 2. If I played other things, they were all lost in the sweeping tide of everybody's favorite indie/Triple I successes of the year.

April is problematic fave month as apart from more Balatro and HD2, it was mostly dominated by Millennia and now a return to Dungeons and Dragons Online, of all things.

I also did a little bit of maintenance on some survivors games/roguelikes and did some updates for my AoEII LP, but that's all the big stuff. If I had to rank things today, it'd be...

Dishonorable Mention
Eco

Honorable Mention
Dungeons & Dragons Online (unless I go all-in, long-term for real this time, I can't really justify putting it on the list)

GoTYs
Funny enough, except for AoEII, all of these are actually claiming a release this year, or at least an Early Access release. And even AoEII's releasing some expansion packs.

5. Roots of Yggdrasil
4. Age of Empires II (probably the most subject to change, mostly here by obligation and not having anything else to put here)
3. Millennia
2. Balatro
1. Helldivers 2

Jossar fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 24, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

only played 1 2024 game so far but i liked it enough

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lords of the Fallen has finished the NG+ modifier system update and it looks pretty sick. built in item and enemy randomizers, ironman mode, and other difficulty options like how many bonfires are active in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dlbw_NBDFM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've finished

Jedi Survivor
Marvel's Midnight Suns
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Spider-Man: Miles Morales

And had like a smattering of other games

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Jedi Survivor
Marvel's Midnight Suns

Sounds like a pretty solid high-production-value year so far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For reals though having watched Veeg play through Rebirth on stream I have no idea how you could vote for any other game as GOTY. It's literally a masterpiece

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'll vote for Rebirth the year I get a PS5.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ll buy it on the Peecee I think despite having a PS5

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can't vote for a video game you haven't played. That's cringe non-gamer behaviour. Yes i know about metis' #1 last year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

You can't vote for a video game you haven't played. That's cringe non-gamer behaviour. Yes i know about metis' #1 last year.

It's my thread I make the rules :colbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

You can't vote for a video game you haven't played. That's cringe non-gamer behaviour.

:emptyquote:

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Waffleman_ posted:

I've finished

Jedi Survivor
Marvel's Midnight Suns

And had like a smattering of other games

This is the first year I've kept track of games I've beaten.

Slay the Princess
Stardew Valley (finished the community center)
LAD 8: IW
Suzerain: Rizia DLC
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Balatro (sorta?)

I'm currently playing Arkham City and Marvel Midnight Sun's. Hoping to beat both but I've beaten Arkham City fairly recently so I might end up dropping it.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Journey
Sable
Nioh 2
The Talos Principle
Arkham Asylum
FF7: Rebirth
Warhammer 40K: Boltgun

Currently near the end of Lies of P. It’s been a good gaming year so far.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I am now the owner of a PS5. Installing Rebirth as we speak.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

birth…of the PS5’s very first game?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like how Uncharted 2 was the first PS3 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I am now the owner of a PS5. Installing Rebirth as we speak.

Go play Spiderman 2 and let me know if the writing is as awful as they're saying cause rn I'm shook