Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
These boys can ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've seen a lot of journos oohing and ahhing over the fact that the Honda Bradl has is completely different to the current Honda that was completely different from last year's Honda.

I'm not an engineer or anything and I don't know the level of telemetry a MotoGP bike has but this seems like a poo poo approach to me. How the gently caress are you supposed to isolate what's improved the bike and what's made it worse? The worst thing I've done when kart racing was completely change the set up because you've got no loving read on what changes actually worked and which don't. Maybe they've done a ton of incremental A/B testing behind the scenes and put it all together but I'm skeptical.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It’s completely terrible in a new and different way is what they mean.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tony quidprano posted:

I've seen a lot of journos oohing and ahhing over the fact that the Honda Bradl has is completely different to the current Honda that was completely different from last year's Honda.

I'm not an engineer or anything and I don't know the level of telemetry a MotoGP bike has but this seems like a poo poo approach to me. How the gently caress are you supposed to isolate what's improved the bike and what's made it worse? The worst thing I've done when kart racing was completely change the set up because you've got no loving read on what changes actually worked and which don't. Maybe they've done a ton of incremental A/B testing behind the scenes and put it all together but I'm skeptical.

The consensus seems to be that they have a fundamental weight distribution or geometry issue and tinkering with the bike won't help because it's so far out of the window of what would be considered good.

Honda have the resources to follow several different conceptual routes simultaneously, it's generally worked for them in the past when testing was more laissez faire

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Makes sense, if you can just shotgun resources at the problem that works, especially if their mentality is that they just want to find the right concept to build on. Maybe it'll work with concessions too who knows.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honda strategy is, and always has been, to take somewhat decent riders and run their careers into the ground while searching for a viable bike concept that brings the bike up into the top six or thereabouts. At the same time they look for the next Rossi/Pedrosa/stoner/Marquez to tempt onto the bike because they're aware that millions spent on a genius rider is worth more lap time than anything they can do mechanically.

The C tier concessions they're under is basically a return to the free-for-all testing of the olden days, minus the really long no-pressure practice sessions. It's the ideal scenario for Honda in particular because their resources are effectively infinite and it takes away the need to be lean and focused like eg Ducati have to be under the stricter rules, they literally can just brute force the problem while running the clock out on their riders.

Yamaha don't get as much benefit because they aren't operating at anywhere near the kind of scale Honda can, but they're at least a bit more focused about where to put their effort. The lack of a satellite team is absolutely killing them, losing that was one of the biggest strategic blunders anyone's made in a long time.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/motogpontnt/status/1783551751192257022

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
holy poo poo what a crazy race!

lol at marcmarquez (again), happy for fabio, 23rd to 3rd just by not being a binman - see thats how you do it "batman"

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 27, 2024

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The C tier concessions they're under is basically a return to the free-for-all testing of the olden days, minus the really long no-pressure practice sessions. It's the ideal scenario for Honda in particular because their resources are effectively infinite and it takes away the need to be lean and focused like eg Ducati have to be under the stricter rules, they literally can just brute force the problem while running the clock out on their riders.

Yamaha don't get as much benefit because they aren't operating at anywhere near the kind of scale Honda can, but they're at least a bit more focused about where to put their effort. The lack of a satellite team is absolutely killing them, losing that was one of the biggest strategic blunders anyone's made in a long time.

"Based on the first assessment at the end of 2023, Ducati are rank A, KTM and Aprilia are rank C, and Honda and Yamaha are rank D."

but yes Rank D is the "no limits, go pray-and-spray ideas out there, test with the GP riders all you like" concessions level per the new rules. so yes, if they already realize the 2024 race bike is Bad and can't be fixed, might as well try a different idea.

Yamaha is finally leading the technology from the GP team setup and not from Iwata's R&D department, which might be very good, but is not doing enough aerodynamically or dynamically at all in recent years (understandably this was partially due to COVID and restrictions traveling into Japan - none of the foreign guys could get in for a long time, and for a year or so all the Japanese staff would've been having to do 2-week quarantines anytime they returned from Europe, which obviously is rough).

harperdc fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 27, 2024

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Did they ever confirm if somebody had a coolant leak because that's sure what this felt like. was stupid that they didn't stop the race.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah it probably should have been red flagged to clean up. It really seemed like a spill right on the racing line by how much it got worse all at once.

At least the spot got Brad back after he just torpedoed Peccos race with a dumb pass he didn't have.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah I was dumbstruck that Binder didn't get the book thrown at him for that. There was no scenario where that was going to work out. Thanks Freddie.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

lmao what a sprint. Spill or not, nice to see Fabio on a podium again.

Binder continues to be a madman.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
LOL Gavin called it from the booth right, it looked like Mario Cart out there. Summer break is after Germany, if Acosta is still within a weekend's worth of points he's got to be considered a title contender. He's on the Mir track of big points every round and maybe a win towards the end.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

:lol: and even :lmao: to borrow a quote from the F1 thread

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Tony quidprano posted:

Did they ever confirm if somebody had a coolant leak because that's sure what this felt like. was stupid that they didn't stop the race.

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah it probably should have been red flagged to clean up. It really seemed like a spill right on the racing line by how much it got worse all at once.

At least the spot got Brad back after he just torpedoed Peccos race with a dumb pass he didn't have.

It was just water, damp patches left over from rain earlier in the day. Nothing to red flag a race over.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Lol wtf what was that. I was gonna make a smartass quip about Zarco placing the highest he ever would this year in 5th but then he crashed out lol. Big ups to Fabio for going from basically last to on the podium.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Quartararo got demoted to 5th post-race for a tire pressure penalty.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It was just water, damp patches left over from rain earlier in the day. Nothing to red flag a race over.

I dunno, I'm not a "red flag as soon as it starts raining" guy but when half the field is going down at random that's a pretty strong argument for throwing a red flag on safety grounds.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

Boooo

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

FBS posted:

jfc who cares

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bummer for Dani to get 3rd but no celebration.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

dema posted:

I think Acosta is a top talent but given an elderly arthritic man who hasn't raced in a year put the KTM on the podium his first shot I'm starting to think it's less he's the next Marquez in waiting and more the existing KTM lineup really loving sucked

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dema posted:

Ahem it’s Daniel

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wow awesome race.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
FABIO! FABIO! FABIO!

I know he got demoted and that sucks, and that the race was bizarre with people going down for no reason, but seeing him up there was awesome. I couldn’t convince my daughter to wear her Fabio shirt today, but nonetheless, way to go you flying Frenchman.

Now, I can only assume we’ll get the same outcome in the full race today ;)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Terrific Race. I have a feeling this is going to be a really loving good season.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That was so fun to watch, motogp rules

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/1047596/1/johann-zarco-kicked-out-race-direction-not-good-job-rant

quote:

“And I repeat Freddie Spencer is not the right guy in this place."

Zarco doing God's work lmao. Speaking truth to power.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Holy poo poo was that a great race. Glad I didn't know the results going in. Really wanted MM to win but I can't be mad.

So weird that my wife and I are rooting for Marc right now. Guess we love a good comeback story.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sprint: LOL Marquez, again. Even without the podium that was a hell of a comeback from Quateraro. Total bloodbath. And then they give 3rd to Pedrosa lol.

Moto3: man, I spent the last 2 laps just willing Veijer along, and he clinched it at the end, talk about a photo finish. No flies on Muñoz fighting to the end though.

Moto2: good early fights between Gonzales & Aldeguer. Total walk in the park for Fermin after that. Great comeback from Roberts and a stunning lead in the series. Wild stuff.

MotoGP: RIP Jorge lol. Great pass on Miller from Acosta there, good enough for 10th. Great rides from Marc & Pecco, legit thought Marc was going to wipeout on the curbs on that last lap.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Russian Bear posted:

Looks like the bag man is getting his groove back.
:hmmyes:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

I cant remember exactly how this incident went down but they both went out so likely one divebombed the other. How this can result in no penalties is just bizarre. There seems to be no consistency in the rulings, surely if an overtake you attempt results in the other guy leaving the track either temporarily or permanently thats a slam-dunk

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

I cant remember exactly how this incident went down but they both went out so likely one divebombed the other. How this can result in no penalties is just bizarre. There seems to be no consistency in the rulings, surely if an overtake you attempt results in the other guy leaving the track either temporarily or permanently thats a slam-dunk

This is just your classic thing to do when you get bought by Liberty. Gotta make rulings all wack just like in F1.

Does anyone else notice that Pecco gets just incredible drive out of corners? Am I just caught up in confirmation bias? Are his electronics more dialed than other riders or just the riding style?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The 24 bike seems to have an advantage in that area and bagnaia accentuates it with his setup imo, I think he pays the price in braking mechanically speaking, but he's able to be super sideways on entry compared to the other Ducatis without crashing so he doesn't really lose anything. Idk if it's just skill or if it's even a biometric thing because he's taller than the other really good Ducati riders. Remember that when upright braking was more advantageous, bastianini had his number a lot of the time.

Really impressed with both marc and bagnaia in that one. More realistic weekend for pedro as well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Bagnaia outbraking everyone to jump to 2nd place was unreal. I thought he was going to crash out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that was insane. Pretty impressed with Bez getting his poo poo together after getting passed by Marc, seemed like Alex would catch him but he increased the gap.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, what a race. I really enjoyed the BT commentators freaking out when Pecco went sideways during one of the on-board shots.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Made the mistake of looking at YouTube yesterday morning and having the MotoGP channel spoil the race for me. I hope that's one thing Liberty can improve, because their channel is loving awful. I think I am going to unsubscribe!! Anyway, excellent race, even if I knew who won. I'm glad Marc was able to complete a race so I don't feel distraught. How he sticks his elbow out when someone makes a close pass is kind of lame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a contact sport and everyone who complains about it is just doing the footballer fake injury charade