Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
I love Joe but it was least 5-8 years too late for him to be a world champ. He had his time and he was never that big of a star to merit a world title reign at this point. Add to that he spent a good bit of 2023 jobbing to Punk and others. Just didn't make much sense to me story wise. I would have had Darby take the title from MJF. You needed someone young and different and with real heat behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

UnleashedDad posted:

I love Joe but it was least 5-8 years too late for him to be a world champ. He had his time and he was never that big of a star to merit a world title reign at this point. Add to that he spent a good bit of 2023 jobbing to Punk and others. Just didn't make much sense to me story wise. I would have had Darby take the title from MJF. You needed someone young and different and with real heat behind them.

Almost said this was lunacy but I checked the thread.
Joe rules, but if you wanted a different champ after MJF I don't think it's Darby. I'm trying to think who'd I'd pick outside of Joe, though. Maybe Jay White? Swerve was only heating up but I could see him as a dark horse. Both guys were in the continental tourney tho so no dice. I guess my pick is Evil Uno. gently caress it

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

It’s a shame when the Regular thread and the Hell thread are all just bad ideas and opinions!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

UnleashedDad posted:

i dont agree with any of this.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

post hole digger posted:

i dont agree with any of this.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

We have moved past the need for a Hell Thread. We can now be wrong in every thread!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is the regular thread.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nea posted:

Joe's reign was perfectly fine but like, no five star matches, which was a shame. Joe never has a BAD match and his aura is impeccably cool, so it was mostly fine but i was a little bit dissapointed.

if we're being honest with ourselves every world title reign has sucked since Omega. The only one where anything memorable happened was with MJF's run and most people didn't exactly love that one. Hangman was a dud, then there was the Punk messes. Nothing memorable happened in Mox or Joe's runs. The state of it. gently caress me.

On The Internet posted:

Almost said this was lunacy but I checked the thread.
Joe rules, but if you wanted a different champ after MJF I don't think it's Darby. I'm trying to think who'd I'd pick outside of Joe, though. Maybe Jay White? Swerve was only heating up but I could see him as a dark horse. Both guys were in the continental tourney tho so no dice. I guess my pick is Evil Uno. gently caress it

Jay White should have won it from MJF the second he walked into the company.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

there's never a wrong time to put the belt on Joe

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Stanley Tweedle posted:

there's never a wrong time to put the belt on Joe

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Even I think Joe was the right choice, just a bad run

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

now that joe isn't champ i wanna see him wrestle ospreay and okada

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Okay, I'm playing catch up with the AEW and saw the Tony spot.

Now, I understand the neck brace and the memes and commitment to the bit.

But, uh.... I'm still very confused. I thought Tony said he wasn't going to be on camera unless it's for actual important announcements, like a new title, PPV, show, or things like the Brodie tribute.

And when you consider the latest storyline involving bucks and ftr and the returning jungle boy involve the punk insistent and Tony Khan saying "I feared for my life, so I fired Phil Brooks"

Some of those AEW fans that followed because "they are going to put logic back in wrestling" might get confused why one is okay and not the other obviously, it's a TV show, logic holes happen all the time in wrestling.

So why doesn't TK just fire Matthew and Nicholas Jackson and figure out how to not make this show feel like those awkward years of TNA where Dixie Carter shows up and goes through a table and begs for Hogan to come back and he leaves to go back to WWE.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They own the rights to the word Elite in wrestling.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TelevisedInsanity posted:

But, uh.... I'm still very confused. I thought Tony said he wasn't going to be on camera unless it's for actual important announcements, like a new title, PPV, show, or things like the Brodie tribute.

And when you consider the latest storyline involving bucks and ftr and the returning jungle boy involve the punk insistent and Tony Khan saying "I feared for my life, so I fired Phil Brooks"

Some of those AEW fans that followed because "they are going to put logic back in wrestling" might get confused why one is okay and not the other obviously, it's a TV show, logic holes happen all the time in wrestling.

So why doesn't TK just fire Matthew and Nicholas Jackson and figure out how to not make this show feel like those awkward years of TNA where Dixie Carter shows up and goes through a table and begs for Hogan to come back and he leaves to go back to WWE.

It's because Tony is panicking because the ratings are in the toilet and they need to get a big tv deal within the next 6 months or the company is toast. So it's throw everything at the wall time.

Wait till he gets real desperate in late summer and joins the Elite as a heel authority figure.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

TelevisedInsanity posted:

My honest answer to this is things change. Tony 100 percent said he wasn't going to be an onscreen character. And I imagine in his mind he still isn't because he is doing a blur the line kind of angle. I'm more than willing to let it play out because so far I've enjoyed what I've seen. And just because AEW does a thing that has been done poorly in the past doesn't mean the thing itself is bad. So I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Tony Khan can't fire The Elite because as reported in this very thread, he is dead.

I also heard Dave say the same thing after the attack.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

1glitch0 posted:

if we're being honest with ourselves every world title reign has sucked since Omega. The only one where anything memorable happened was with MJF's run and most people didn't exactly love that one. Hangman was a dud, then there was the Punk messes. Nothing memorable happened in Mox or Joe's runs. The state of it. gently caress me.

nah hangman mox and the first few matches with MJF owned.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A one and done where he waves, points, and takes a move is pretty whatever. They used Collision to then explicitly say you're not going to see him

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

A one and done where he waves, points, and takes a move is pretty whatever. They used Collision to then explicitly say you're not going to see him

I mean that's what actually happened but I think we should instead imagine a world where Tony Khan replicates the Immortal Storyline so we can see a beautiful "THERrrrrE HERrrrE" sign.

With Darby in the Jeff Hardy role.

Raeg fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2024

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

I don't think Joe was a bad champ, cause outside of Punk they haven't had any. It just didn't feel like it was his time. He spent his entire AEW run as being the guy who people beat to get to the next level, which is perfectly fine and suited him greatly. You look at the title runs of everyone who won the title and he is on the bottom end. His most memorable match was with Hook.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

UnleashedDad posted:

I don't think Joe was a bad champ, cause outside of Punk they haven't had any. It just didn't feel like it was his time. He spent his entire AEW run as being the guy who people beat to get to the next level, which is perfectly fine and suited him greatly. You look at the title runs of everyone who won the title and he is on the bottom end. His most memorable match was with Hook.

In some ways Joe's win felt more like slamming the breaks on the MJF Sports Entertainment Experience rather than an full endorsement of Joe.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Shad Khan’s onscreen war against the Elite has only just begun.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Raeg posted:

In some ways Joe's win felt more like slamming the breaks on the MJF Sports Entertainment Experience rather than an full endorsement of Joe.

I'd agree with this. It felt like a righting of the ship, and Swerve actually feels like the next big homemade guy the same way Osprey feels like he's going to be the next top guy in AEW.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Joe was a good champ because he cleared the MJF aftertaste

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

hangman had two of the best title defenses in aew history imo.

1glitch0 posted:

thats facts tho

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

The belt looked great on Joe, it's more that I would prefer AEW to focus on younger talent. Homemade if possible. Darby beating MJF would make sense based on the story they had going with those two.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

UnleashedDad posted:

The belt looked great on Joe, it's more that I would prefer AEW to focus on younger talent. Homemade if possible. Darby beating MJF would make sense based on the story they had going with those two.

The entire point of Joe's reign was to put over Swerve.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

neoaxd posted:

Joe was a good champ because he cleared the MJF aftertaste

Simple as, Crab. Simple as.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

There was never logic in wrestling

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

joe should have pinned fools for like six months before losing the belt moving out of the way of their silly flippy poo poo the entire time because he rules

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Takeshita should be heel champ for like 2 years and destroy everyone

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

Takeshita should be heel champ for like 2 years and destroy everyone

:hai:

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

Was there any official word on what's happening to Jack "Gut Puncher" Perry? Unless I missed it when watching Collision, that "heinous attack" on Kahn should have been addressed as quickly as Punk's if they want to keep any kind of illusion of continuity in whatever story this is going to wind up as.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

as executive vice presidents the bucks wield a large amount of executive power over decisions and as there are two of them and only one tony they will simply overrule him

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The Elite are in control now that Tony Khan has been compromised to a permanent end

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

as executive vice presidents the bucks wield a large amount of executive power over decisions and as there are two of them and only one tony they will simply overrule him

This is why Kenny has to die, because as an EVP, he has the authority to create more Tonys.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

This is why Kenny has to die, because as an EVP, he has the authority to create more Tonys.

:hmmyes:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

he's like a gremlin alone alone in a pool house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Wait a sec, so no one involved in the attack on the head of the company was disciplined in storyline on the Collision after? I haven't been watching in a bit, and just seeing clips here and there but that seems bad.