Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Holy moly, James's story about getting his foot stuck in the sand in the ocean and nearly drowning was fuckin nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Randomly remembered Jawnnys Tony imitation voice... lmao

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
This is going to be Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer in like 2 months:

Bryan: “so in the main event for the AEW world title, it was Swerve vs Rush, and there was a SPAWT on the END where Rush tried his drop kick in the corner! Swerve dodges it, Rush falls, and Swerve leaps to the top rope and does the stomp, and then 1….2….and I’m thinking wait why isn’t Rush kicking out….3.”

Dave: “yep”

Bryan: “He PINNED Rush! PINNED him. In the MIDDLE OF THE RING. They built up Rush for WEEKS and then just…he gets PINNED!!!!!??? IF RUSH WAS GOING TO BE BUILT UP FOR WEEKS, WHY DID YOU PIN HIM??? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME???”

Dave: “I-i-i actually know the answer to this!”

Bryan: “WHAT. WHAT WAS THE REASON”

Dave: “they wanted Swerve to go over.”

Bryan: “THEN WHY DID HE HAVE A MATCH!??”

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

writing fanfic about how you're going to get mad at a guy is extremely cool

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

sleepwalkers posted:

writing fanfic about how you're going to get mad at a guy is extremely cool

We were discussing Bryan’s stretching of the credibility of his criticisms so I thought I’d add that for some color. :frogbon:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Lol imagining the mental gymnastics it takes to try to think of a reason why Alvarez doesn't understand AEW booking and not just realizing he's a loving moron

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

i simply opt out of dave, bryan, and their various third mics

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

super macho dude posted:

Lol imagining the mental gymnastics it takes to try to think of a reason why Alvarez doesn't understand AEW booking and not just realizing he's a loving moron

I just think they are being overly critical so that they can point to it all whenever smoothbrains on Twitter say that they’re in the tank for AEW. (Which of course doesn’t matter because the smoothbrains are all trolls and don’t actually believe what they are tweeting.)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

super macho dude posted:

Lol imagining the mental gymnastics it takes to try to think of a reason why Alvarez doesn't understand AEW booking and not just realizing he's a dumb moron

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Alvarez is trying to get that Gold Boat, and you don't get paid saying things other people say for free in the Stinger Splash Zone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

super macho dude posted:

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

a dumb moron posted:

I’m confused by Dave’s complaints about Collision’s first 30 minutes.

It was Swerve cutting a promo, setting up a main event, a recap of a major angle with the bucks and Jack Perry, and a high octane six man tag showing the kind of wrestling you’ll see in AEW.

And Dave is like “I’m in disbelief, this was their chance to show a new audience AEW and they wasted the first 30 minutes.”

Am I just stupid? Do I not understand the wrestling business? It seemed like a very solid first 30 minutes to me.

It's because Dave and Bryan say they like AEW but any time AEW has an opportunity with a big lead in like this they think AEW should do exactly what WWE would do

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Bryan and Vinny were at my local indie Boom! Pro Wrestling and Jericho also had an episode with the owners.

My little local indie is blowing up 🥲

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
With the NBA lead in I'd probably have the Swerve interview lead into an immediate match but otherwise it's just nit picking. They got way too used to how WWE is ran (moronically or not) and took the criticism they got for praising AEW to heart, all it is.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mooseinfants posted:

It's because Dave and Bryan say they like AEW but any time AEW has an opportunity with a big lead in like this they think AEW should do exactly what WWE would do

It's fun reading Dave ROH reviews/discussion from the first handful of years because he always ends up couching "so this was great but it would never work in WWE", as though he couldn't really understand indie wrestling existing for its own sake. Glad he's still doing the bit, but for a company that's drawn slightly better than ROH

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

mooseinfants posted:

So they needed to do longer promos and shorter matches?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave wanted them to shoot an angle that would build for the next PPV/TV with the biggest set of eyeballs on it and I get why he wanted that though Swerve's promo was good for that spot just to build him up

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqk_fN0NRgg

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Though it is easier to make up things and call them stupid idiot dumbshits (more than one thing can be true! less so the made up stuff, but the "they're dumb")

1. Meltzer talks a lot about how WWE is basically idiotproof right now with the amount of money they have and when you're making a ton of money and ratings are good and you're #1, a lot of little mistakes/bad things don't matter because you're hot. WWE has been in this position for awhile.

2. AEW's metrics are mostly dropping, and they're in a contract year. This leads to a lot of deep dive constructive/'constructive' criticism wondering why ratings are down, attendance is down, etc. etc. Some (many?) of these criticisms are probably not why metrics are down, but "why isn't there an obvious first challenger for Swerve, this could affect his momentum" and "why isn't there an obvious first challenger for Cody, this could affect his momentum" are both questions that have been brought up, but WWE has had good ratings/a string of sellout shows and has its Netflix contract through 2030/2035, AEW doesn't have a deal in place beyond the end of the year. While I think they overplay it, "how can AEW avoid alienating anyone/boost their interest?" is a more pressing question.

That said, they spent a good amount of time today talking about how the Wrestlemania Season shine is fading, they don't have particularly hot feuds/title contentions spun up post-WM, and in the near-term future WWE is without Roman, Rock, Punk, Rollins, Rhea, Dom, Jimmy Uso, Logan Paul, etc. and Raw doesn't have a place to be broadcast in the fall (and Smackdown might get moved to FS1 for the months leading up to its move to USA) so WWE should be somewhat concerned about what they're doing for the rest of the year. But "Wrestlemania is doing enormous business and people seem to like it" leaves less room for "here is where they messed up!" than shows drawing under 2,000 people.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WWE hot
AEW not

It's not that hard to understand :shrug:

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Edward Mass posted:

Alvarez is trying to get that Gold Boat, and you don't get paid saying things other people say for free in the Stinger Splash Zone.

WWE Raw should be two hours, but bring back Saturday Night Main Event

AEW Dynamite should be three hours, but get rid of rampage.

And Kenny should go to WWE just to finally have that match against Xavier Woods sponsored by the latest fighting game.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dave wanted them to shoot an angle that would build for the next PPV/TV with the biggest set of eyeballs on it and I get why he wanted that though Swerve's promo was good for that spot just to build him up

He came off as Generic Babyface with a bland promo. The ball was dropped through the floor.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

He came off as Generic Babyface with a bland promo. The ball was dropped through the floor.

nah it was a good promo followed up by an amazing title defense.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Personally I think they should have set up a hot angle, gotten Swerve involved with the Elite, maybe even Ospreay too, just to set up a hot angle with your top people.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlGn1NLQkMM

friendly reminder to all losers+haters

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

"he was sending a letter to your house that says gently caress you!" got me lol

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

mooseinfants posted:

For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Edge & Christian posted:

That said, they spent a good amount of time today talking about how the Wrestlemania Season shine is fading,

Doesn’t WWE business always cool down from like April to June? Like, for the last 30-40 years it’s been like that?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
laughing at Dave Meltzer pronouncing Patrick Mahomes as "Ma-ho-mez".

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

I love Swerve but really have to agree with this. starting off with a banger the way they used to with OC’s belt defenses is way more interesting because someone unfamiliar with wrestling is gonna go “wait what the gently caress this rules” but instead it was “handsome guy with a funny dancing man is talking about stuff we have zero context for”

Claudio didn’t come out to challenge for like, 5 minutes but people needed to be hooked *instantly*

unfamiliar viewers see “All Elite Wrestling” and are gonna expect WRESTLING.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 30, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edward Mass posted:

Can't hear that name without immediately thinking of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLC5voGUp0I&t=5s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

yep

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

People are already bored of the new toy 😔

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

if tiny con had signed sheamus, we'd be singing a different tune 😔

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
signing away wwes last good entrance theme would be a get

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i enjoy hearing dave say “naivety”

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the escape goat posted:

I love Swerve but really have to agree with this. starting off with a banger the way they used to with OC’s belt defenses is way more interesting because someone unfamiliar with wrestling is gonna go “wait what the gently caress this rules” but instead it was “handsome guy with a funny dancing man is talking about stuff we have zero context for”

Claudio didn’t come out to challenge for like, 5 minutes but people needed to be hooked *instantly*

unfamiliar viewers see “All Elite Wrestling” and are gonna expect WRESTLING.
also see lockdown dynamites where every week opened with a young bucks party match

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

signing away wwes last good entrance theme would be a get

Sami has his SLOM, tho?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave mispronounced Patrick Mahomes name multiple times and it just drove me crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Edward Mass posted:

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dave mispronounced Patrick Mahomes name multiple times and it just drove me crazy

he pronounced it correctly