Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
also important to note that TOOTBLAN is often used in shorthand, such as "Nice blan, idiot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I want the Pirates to win the NL Central, but I'd take the Cubs over another year of the Brewers immediately flaming out in the playoffs

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
we are 8-0 with a +31 run differential in games started by Shota or Taillon.

we are 1-4 with a -19 run differential in games started by Cool Kyle

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Strange play in the Rays @ Brewers game.

Rays up 1-0 bottom of the 9th, 1 out and men on 2nd and 3rd. Brewers hitter strikes out swinging at a ball in the dirt that gets past the catcher but on his swing follow thru hits the top of the catchers head. Ump calls the play dead and sends the runner who scored back to 3rd and calls the batter out. Game ends next hitter on a strikeout.

It is correct on the merits in that once the bat hits the catcher the play is dead, but also the Rays catcher had leaned forward a good foot plus into the batter's box which seems like it should change the calculus somehow?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is taillon good now?????

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wait wait wait

All I hear about in this thread is Christopher Morel, so I finally look him up expecting to be blown away and I see he’s currently sporting a cool 85 wRC+ lol

Is he just a Cubs meme

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

AndrewP posted:

Wait wait wait

All I hear about in this thread is Christopher Morel, so I finally look him up expecting to be blown away and I see he’s currently sporting a cool 85 wRC+ lol

Is he just a Cubs meme

How loving dare you

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

AndrewP posted:

Wait wait wait

Is he just a Cubs meme

MODS?!?!?!?!

(He's a streaky power bat who's been ice cold for a while)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Wait wait wait

Is he just a Cubs meme

Yes, just like Hendricks and Cody

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
My son is an ELITE third baseman now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

is taillon good now?????

He got a grand total of three whiffs last night, I think you can chalk up the performance to :mets:

AndrewP posted:

Wait wait wait

Is he just a Cubs meme

He was good last year and started this season very well, then (probably) hurt his hand and lost all ability to hit for like 2-3 weeks. He's hopefully getting over it and heating back up but we'll see.

Also he's cool and my friend.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AndrewP posted:

Wait wait wait

Is he just a Cubs meme

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Astros eventual World Series victory this year will be a crushing blow to morale

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve been volunteering a lot with helping/ coaching little league this year and kids (who like baseball ) seems totally disconnected from MLB. They don’t really know who the stars are or what teams are good. I’d be worried if I were mlb.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Wait wait wait

Is he just a Cubs meme

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Morel's OPS was .974 three weeks ago!

Also he is cool and my son and stays after every game to sign autographs way longer than any of the other players.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mlb should be getting players into Fortnite is what I’m saying

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Squall posted:

And of course FARTSLAM which is fielder allows runner to score like a moron.

Scoring is only moronic when the other team does it

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

AndrewP posted:

Wait wait wait

Is he just a Cubs meme

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

euphronius posted:

I’ve been volunteering a lot with helping/ coaching little league this year and kids (who like baseball ) seems totally disconnected from MLB. They don’t really know who the stars are or what teams are good. I’d be worried if I were mlb.

Hard to get into a sport when you can't watch the loving games.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't stop to appreciate how rad Sal Perez is often enough

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

These kids all have tablets and YouTube idk. Why do they have no interest in mlb despite loving baseball ? Ok I will shut up. It was just bothering me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

euphronius posted:

These kids all have tablets and YouTube idk. Why do they have no interest in mlb despite loving baseball ? Ok I will shut up. It was just bothering me

mdemone posted:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

euphronius posted:

There's a lot of factors to this but I think a significant part of it is really just "you can't build as compelling narratives around 'greatest generational single talent single-handedly carries team of shlubs to dominant victory' the way you can NFL/NBA." ESPN talking heads can wax poetic about the singular effort Tom Brady or Lebron James or whoever the gently caress put in and essentially deify them and meanwhile MLB fans made a meme about how a multi-generational talent was constantly setting records and yet dragging his team to anything even vaguely sniffing victory was like the 12 Labors Of loving Heracles.

e:

mdemone posted:

This also yes, the damage RSNs and regional blackouts have done to actually making MLB accessible to the layman has been incalculable.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Squall posted:

And of course FARTSLAM which is fielder allows runner to score like a moron.

FARTSLAM
FARTSLAM
FARTSLAM

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

When I was a kid, I got into teams by being able to watch them everyday. I was an Atlanta fan because of TBS. I was a Cubs fan because of WGN.

Days long gone, like dust in the wind

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the lack of access to games is a huge contributor I think, also that the MLB.tv app is frankly dogshit on every platform and probably too clunky for kids who're used to much slicker apps to bother dealing with. And FWIW this is not an angry old man "kids these days" observation, I loving hate the MLB app too I'm just conditioned to put up with that bullshit.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Sydin posted:

And FWIW this is not an angry old man "kids these days" observation, I loving hate the MLB app too I'm just conditioned to put up with that bullshit.

It's basically the same thing as what happened to streaming for wrestling. I remember a time where WWE and MLB pretty much had the whole 'streaming service' idea on total lock and they basically enshittified their own apps. It's crazy.

Gotta get that quarterly growth metric!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

MLB is no longer interested in cultivating an audience that enjoys baseball, just one that enjoys gambling on it. And what else are you going to gamble on daily during the summer? You fool. You imbecile.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Blackout rules make MLB streaming services loving awful and counter-productive. Why would I go for a streaming service where I literally cannot watch games for the team I am most likely to support? And for some people, the blackouts cover an insane number of games (here's looking at you, Iowa).

If I could pay, I don't know, say 5-10 bucks a month to have unlimited streaming for one teams games, I'd be tempted. As a Jay's fan, my best option right now is Sportsnet+, which costs $15/month, and yet there are still blackout rules when there's a conflict with Apple+ exclusive games.

Thank god for living outside the US for my NFL watching needs, since I can actually use DAZN to get every single NFL game, including preseason and playoffs, as well as Redzone (plus a host of other NFL network stuff I never watch). That's the kind of streaming service that is desirable.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 30, 2024

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

MLB even makes it miserable to watch highlights. The At Bat app or whatever it's called wants you to watch a 20 sec ad before every highlight, it's terrible

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Traxis posted:

MLB even makes it miserable to watch highlights. The At Bat app or whatever it's called wants you to watch a 20 sec ad before every highlight, it's terrible

just go to your favorite team's site / video (i.e. cubs.com/video), it's pretty good there. Especially with adblock.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Traxis posted:

Just use dtmts.com with an adblocker

e: actually it appears to be down again, the sports leagues of course don't want anyone watching even 2 seconds of their sport unless they're directly getting paid so they attack dtmts.com regularly

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 30, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My favorite aspect of the MLB.tv player is that you're not allowed to skip ads even when watching past broadcasts, and it accomplishes this by completely taking away video controls until the ad roll is complete. There's also no preview window while seeking, so if you're trying to seek to a specific play or moment and accidentally click into a time where ads are playing, your only options to keep trying to find that play are to wait for the ad roll to finish so the video controls come back or reload the entire page and try again.

UI/UX design is my passion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

My favorite aspect of the MLB.tv player is that you're not allowed to skip ads even when watching past broadcasts, and it accomplishes this by completely taking away video controls until the ad roll is complete. There's also no preview window while seeking, so if you're trying to seek to a specific play or moment and accidentally click into a time where ads are playing, your only options to keep trying to find that play are to wait for the ad roll to finish so the video controls come back or reload the entire page and try again.

UI/UX design is my passion.

All I'm gonna say about this is that there is a site that posts previous day's games for ad-free watching or download, and I don't think you should feel bad about using it if you're paying for mlb.tv already.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I suffer through the same three ads that play at double the volume to watch the Cubs. I'd watch Ms too but they're black out restricted for dumb reasons.

The at bat app in particular went poo poo the last UI update they did.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't stop to appreciate how rad Sal Perez is often enough

He's really the best and he's a big reason they're 17-13. I don't expect him to maintain this 182 OPS+ but I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Meanwhile the Royals have lost three straight and everything is stupid and terrible.

quote:

I suffer through the same three ads that play at double the volume to watch the Cubs. I'd watch Ms too but they're black out restricted for dumb reasons.

Someone suggested the PrivacyBadger extension which seems to replace the ads with a static screen with generic crowd noise.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 30, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Intruder posted:

Grand Strand

I have never heard this and it is loving delightful. I will now use it constantly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

baseball popularity is down because there are too many merverts and it scares away parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

The Astros eventual World Series victory this year will be a crushing blow to morale

The longer the season goes on the more absolute bullshit path the victory will have to take, the greater the blow will become.

Paradoxically, the more bullshit it becomes the more likely it is to happen. it won't happen.

yes it willno it won't