Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: really queer Christmas)

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Brown has pulled poo poo like this before so you would think there was some institutional memory by now but nah. Trustfund failsons scared to lose their consulting gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Who accepted that offer? Do they have an understanding of object permanence yet?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i am personally not going to get mad at the brown students for taking a bad deal, because i have not personally organized any campus protests

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

This will be a good learning experience for them. More power to them regardless.

https://x.com/oliviaebertz/status/1785361011303748038?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Rhode Island

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

Spaced God posted:

when is sherbert hoover gonna come in and say this is a major success

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mister Bates posted:

the concessions Brown is offering is that a group of up to 5 people will get to meet with a subcommittee selected by the Brown Corporation Board and present a proposal for a divestment policy in a few months, that proposal will then be brought to another committee, that committee will then present their recommendations to the board, the board will then decide whether or not to vote on those recommendations, and they will then vote on it if they feel like it, the process in total taking six months, more or less

in exchange the encampment will disband and all other protest activities of any kind will cease for the remainder of the academic year

hilariously, lopsidedly bad

it will also probably work and was all they ever needed to do, if every university admin was this smart the protests would already be over

the protest organizers at Brown are publicly celebrating it as a victory lmao

Tbf the rest of the academic year is what like a week

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lol owned

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
College dipshits save the day again

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

calm adolpha

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mags posted:

calm adolpha

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

mcclay posted:

I don't want to engage in 'no investigation, no right to speak' but I'm kinda confused at the situation. It seemed that when the Cal Poly students occupied the buildings the cops could not force them out, but last night it looks like they left the occupied buildings to hold a fortified point on the quad? I'm curious as to why, since it seems to me like they were at their strongest inside the fortified buildings. Leaving them seems like a kind of odd strategic decision, so I'm curious as to what the rationale behind it was.

Admin were making a huge deal about the occupation of the building so the protestors decided to leave in a show of good faith towards de-escalation.

That was their first mistake.

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
the next hillary clinton is proudly packing up her tent at brown right now

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Ace Transmuter posted:

Admin were making a huge deal about the occupation of the building so the protestors decided to leave in a show of good faith towards de-escalation.

smdh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

the next hillary clinton is proudly packing up her tent at brown right now

Not even.

Hillary Clinton was a Goldwater Girl.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Ace Transmuter posted:

Yeah that is a pretty major tactical blunder, oof. I hope the protestors can regroup and recover though.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

live and learn

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tom cotton announces he considers student loan debt punitive

https://x.com/stefwkight/status/1785376890364088693?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

God, every official statement the Biden admin has put out in the past few months has made me sick, including this one.

Has anyone stopped to consider that protesting to stop a genocide is perhaps the furthest you could get from hate? No, of course not, just smear them as antisemitic and crack skulls. The beatings will continue until people get back in line. :commissar:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

yet you participate in society energy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

lol that conservatives can't help stressing that Jews aren't white

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Mandel Brotset posted:

perhaps there is some kind of deeper resolution to this failure of both parties

There is only one solution:
Intifada, revolution

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

PhilippAchtel posted:

There is only one solution:
Intifada, revolution

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Democrats: what if we tell the administration to arrest all the students and faculty

Republicans: what if we arrest all the students, faculty, and administration
https://twitter.com/SpeakerJohnson/status/1785327092244078851?t=ljznEzL-k719nQDmhS7eng&s=19

Wow, harm reduction!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

How Darwinian posted:

Not to mention, if the Dems are seen to move an inch in reaction to their base then the jig is up. Biden's presidential project has been to oversee the rollback of the surge in benefits and government support that Covid brought on. If protest (particularly organized, and increasingly destructive protest) is perceived as having forced the Dems to cave to popular demand, then the Dems can expect people to capitalize on that success and start raising hell to fix the million other lovely things in this country.

Come to think of it, if the can ride this out and get to the election without giving anything up, then they can just blame the loss on the protests can repeat the cycle of promising to solve the problems once they have power again. Some voters may be lost for good, but things will continue to get worse under Trump, and Americans have the memory of a goldfish, so who knows?

Butter Activities posted:

There's everything to lose. The entire world system depends on the middle east being just the right amount of unstable and the Muslim world being politically divided, and Israel is essential to that. They will kill themselves politically first and turn to fascism before they change.

It's a combination of these two.

If something looks incomprehensible, like the Dems tanking their chances, it's only because you haven't accounted for all the angles.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I HATE democrats

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

They hate you too

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's a combination of these two.

If something looks incomprehensible, like the Dems tanking their chances, it's only because you haven't accounted for all the angles.

I think theres also an element of wanting these protests wrapped up and crushed before summer. The specter of 2020, and other long, hot protest summers before it, weighs heavily in the minds of the Powers That Be. Thats why as we inch closer to June we're gonna start to see a lot of the attempts to repress these encampments get more and more brutal.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

They hate you too

Inshallah

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

This will be a good learning experience for them. More power to them regardless.

https://x.com/oliviaebertz/status/1785361011303748038?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Hahahahahja

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Christ, I almost forgot about this. :lmao:

2016 was another massive own goal for Democrats. I was canvassing in Ohio at the time and saw the writing on the wall. “She is 45” billboards and the sheer entitlement/arrogance on display trailing on Obama’s coattails was staggering.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
at this point the main question on my mind is whether or not everyone else is going to be smart enough to emulate Brown and apply a bit of carrot alongside the stick, offering token concessions like agreeing to strike a committee that will discuss possibly putting together a draft resolution to publicize the college's Israeli investments in 3-5 years in exchange for the students all going home

if they combine that, giving people opportunities to claim some kind of victory and go home feeling like they accomplished something, with rapid and aggressive action against any stragglers who don't take the offered out, they'll probably have this wrapped up before long

if they continue to be stupid and mash the same button over and over again things will just continue to escalate

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

*6 months later* ok we held the vote. we're not gonna divest.

The system works!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

the concessions Brown is offering is that a group of up to 5 people will get to meet with a subcommittee selected by the Brown Corporation Board and present a proposal for a divestment policy in a few months, that proposal will then be brought to another committee, that committee will then present their recommendations to the board, the board will then decide whether or not to vote on those recommendations, and they will then vote on it if they feel like it, the process in total taking six months, more or less

Hahahahhahaj

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

at this point the main question on my mind is whether or not everyone else is going to be smart enough to emulate Brown and apply a bit of carrot alongside the stick, offering token concessions like agreeing to strike a committee that will discuss possibly putting together a draft resolution to publicize the college's Israeli investments in 3-5 years in exchange for the students all going home

if they combine that, giving people opportunities to claim some kind of victory and go home feeling like they accomplished something, with rapid and aggressive action against any stragglers who don't take the offered out, they'll probably have this wrapped up before long

if they continue to be stupid and mash the same button over and over again things will just continue to escalate

the majority seem to taking option 2 some might do the brown move and i hope the kids realize they're being played

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
https://x.com/peoplesdispatch/status/1785136797871186371?s=46

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/katie_honan/status/1785432932938621109

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Uh oh they found hamas tunnels under the encampments

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.

https://twitter.com/katie_honan/status/1785435940556574972

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaSJP/status/1785448857934979147

sorry, the pig mayor says no more protesting genocide.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol their tactic, since they couldn't successfully coopt this particular effort, is just get behind a podium and declare that its been coopted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

In Training posted:

Lol their tactic, since they couldn't successfully coopt this particular effort, is just get behind a podium and declare that its been coopted?

and we can't tell you by whom, but we promise we'll share the evidence at an unspecified later date