Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
I’ll be a dissenting voice just a bit and say that while they parted amicably and came to an understanding, I find it hard to believe that Laios didn’t take the things Shuro said to him at face value and was instead able to read between the lines.

They are not enemies or anything, but at this exact moment in time, the relationship is not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Shuro's actions here are another display of Dungeon Meshi's recurring theme of how people interact with food, here that eating a meal is really important and we frequently take it for granted in modern life. He's pushed himself with insufficient food and rest for almost 2 weeks now (time references I could find: 1 week to get to the dragon, 2 days lost in the changing dungeon after they decided to turn back before the dryads, 3 days of petrified Marcille). Pushing himself to the edge like this has left him irritable and with very little tolerance for annoyance in a very stressful situation.

After Shuro reaches his breaking point he finally eats a decent meal and immediately afterward there's a pretty huge shift in his behavior. He gives a heartfelt thanks to his retainers for following him on this desperate mission, he admits some of his animosity towards Laios was fueled by jealousy, realizes he's reached his limit and he needs to turn back, and extends an olive branch back to Laios consisting of what assistance he can provide before departing.

What we saw was Shuro at his worst, absolute rock bottom, and after he finally sits down and eats a dang meal he quickly recovers to a much better version of himself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Toshiro was just hangry

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hey toshiro! Youre not you when youre hungry!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
See? Autistic or allistic, tall-man or dwarf, gay or straight, Australian or a person. We're all our worst selves when we're hungry

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Going to go back into the dungeon with nothing but a backpack full of Snickers.

I dunno if anyone's been following Swamp Jawn's excellent episode breakdowns but the latest episode is up.

https://youtu.be/0lnIGW95NGI?si=PjxvnZgRI_do4az7

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 1, 2024

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

DrSunshine posted:

And who wouldn't, honestly? Everyone likes Falin!

I'm falin for her

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

See? Autistic or allistic, tall-man or dwarf, gay or straight, Australian or a person. We're all our worst selves when we're hungry

I like to think you put the negative/before eating on the left and the positive/after eating on the right solely because of Australian/Person.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I'm not sure I'd buy laios not being pretty hurt about what shuro said to him/the revelation that the guy he respected so much and thought of as a friend hated him this whole time. That's not the sort of thing you go "ehhh he was just venting" about later, it's a complete recontextualization of a relationship laios really valued. That's something that really sucks to go through (if maybe not quite as bad as "resurrecting my sister failed and now she's a monster out to kill me")

They're not out for blood and honestly it seems like laios and shuro probably won't see each other again for a really long time, so when they do it'll probably all be stuff they've processed and come to terms with by then. But at this moment I wouldn't call this stuff water under the bridge either, I do think at least part of why shuro gave laios the bell was that if laios rings it, he's probably got falin in tow.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lets see Laios immediately accidentally eat it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They punched it out, they're good now

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

They punched it out, they're good now

Checked with G Gundam, the math holds up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have a good hearty talk (with their fists) and a good hearty eat (with their mouths)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

(honeycakelion on tumb)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Synthbuttrange posted:

Pants on the scaled part.

ed: good lord theres a Falin cosplayer now doing her from the latest ep.

go on

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Going to go back into the dungeon with nothing but a backpack full of Snickers.

I dunno if anyone's been following Swamp Jawn's excellent episode breakdowns but the latest episode is up.

https://youtu.be/0lnIGW95NGI?si=PjxvnZgRI_do4az7

I was just about to suggest this for fans as well. It's spoiler free though I get the sense they have read ahead and are hinting at stuff, though they could just be way more observant of background stuff than I am. Certainly worth a watch through.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Shuro is just as dense and unable to read the room as Laios.

He proposed to Marcille's wife for goodness sakes. Social dunce the boy is.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Shuro was mean but laios was annoying, which is worse

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

neither, they're both nice boys who had the misfortune of being screentime characters in an anime

but also shuro is worse because he doesn't eat 3 square meals a day and get 8 hours of sleep every night

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Whiny slap fights are how brothers work out their feelings. Source: have two brothers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

All will be forgotten when they have to use the bell and it's actually Shuro picking them up and he's brought along a big ol monster meal from his homeland.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ninjewtsu posted:

Honestly I'm not sure I'd buy laios not being pretty hurt about what shuro said to him/the revelation that the guy he respected so much and thought of as a friend hated him this whole time. That's not the sort of thing you go "ehhh he was just venting" about later, it's a complete recontextualization of a relationship laios really valued. That's something that really sucks to go through (if maybe not quite as bad as "resurrecting my sister failed and now she's a monster out to kill me")

They're not out for blood and honestly it seems like laios and shuro probably won't see each other again for a really long time, so when they do it'll probably all be stuff they've processed and come to terms with by then. But at this moment I wouldn't call this stuff water under the bridge either, I do think at least part of why shuro gave laios the bell was that if laios rings it, he's probably got falin in tow.

The thing is that yeah Laios was hurt by it, but he explicitly said that what he wanted was for Shuro to be honest with him. Their relationship may have changed, but it's because it got deeper and more honest rather than Shuro trying to save face for everyone. It was ripping off a bandaid, it hurt but it had to be done eventually or they would just drift apart.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Made the mistake of reading the ANN episode review.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/delicious-in-dungeon/episode-17/.210282

" Having Laios remark that his transformed sister is the coolest thing he's ever seen right before she brutally murders a bunch of characters we're supposed to be invested in deflates the impact of their deaths."

Are we really supposed to care about the new party and the "always dies" party dying? is that really what the show is going for given it at no pints dwells on the deaths? The point of this is to show how messed up the Dungeon is and let us see the ramifications of Marcille's dark magic. It's showing us that where before one party was able to move along quite easily now things have gotten significantly harder. Having Falin's kills actually be these awful, permanent things would muddy the water on wanting to save her vs kill her. Having her do two party wipes that can still be undone let us know poo poo has gotten real without risking people thinking Falin is irredeemable/beyond saving.

Bluh bluh, self inflicted psychic damage on my part.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
complaining about the laois thing just reads like a dumbass tonal whiplash remark. people who care about that stuff shouldn't be taken seriously, its like being surprised a coaster can move horizontally instead of just vertically.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well at least you're aware that step one is admitting you made a mistake by reading ANN

Step two is having a meal to get back into the right headspace.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Reducing Kabru's party to "always dies party" is so funny. Laios' party focuses on monsters and therefore fights monsters the best. Kabru's party focuses on humanoids and therefore are *terrifyingly strong* at fighting humanoids, whether socially or physically. They absolutely decimate the bandits that were trying to ambush them. That's *the whole point of the dynamic of the two parties*.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Laios, being fascinated with horrible beasts that want to kill him messily??? Impossible

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

CuddleCryptid posted:

Reducing Kabru's party to "always dies party" is so funny. Laios' party focuses on monsters and therefore fights monsters the best. Kabru's party focuses on humanoids and therefore are *terrifyingly strong* at fighting humanoids, whether socially or physically. They absolutely decimate the bandits that were trying to ambush them. That's *the whole point of the dynamic of the two parties*.

Yeah but the dungeon is the monster zone, which is why they're the always dies party despite their high degree of competence, which is absolutely loving hilarious

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah but the dungeon is the monster zone, which is why they're the always dies party despite their high degree of competence, which is absolutely loving hilarious

Of course, but the implication was that they were a Worf-like group that exists to die versus showing how Laios' group is getting by through hyperspecialization working in this one exact scenario. Kabru's group would be amazing in 99.9% of situtation except for this extremely specific hosed up one they are in, that's what makes it funny like you said.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Popo posted:

Made the mistake of reading the ANN episode review.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/delicious-in-dungeon/episode-17/.210282

" Having Laios remark that his transformed sister is the coolest thing he's ever seen right before she brutally murders a bunch of characters we're supposed to be invested in deflates the impact of their deaths."

Are we really supposed to care about the new party and the "always dies" party dying? is that really what the show is going for given it at no pints dwells on the deaths? The point of this is to show how messed up the Dungeon is and let us see the ramifications of Marcille's dark magic. It's showing us that where before one party was able to move along quite easily now things have gotten significantly harder. Having Falin's kills actually be these awful, permanent things would muddy the water on wanting to save her vs kill her. Having her do two party wipes that can still be undone let us know poo poo has gotten real without risking people thinking Falin is irredeemable/beyond saving.

Bluh bluh, self inflicted psychic damage on my part.

They are missing the point. Death as we understand in our world is not where the tension is supposed to lie. It is in Falins undeath that we are supposed to feel anything. The episode made that clear by showing us how Falin is only Falin in appearance only, but not in action. Even her magic is shown as frightening, when previously she has only been shown to use it to save people.

Media literacy!!!!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But she did react to Laios for a brief moment so there's a glimmer of hope that she's still in there.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fluffdaddy posted:

They are missing the point. Death as we understand in our world is not where the tension is supposed to lie. It is in Falins undeath that we are supposed to feel anything. The episode made that clear by showing us how Falin is only Falin in appearance only, but not in action. Even her magic is shown as frightening, when previously she has only been shown to use it to save people.

Media literacy!!!!!

It's also an obvious nod to Laios, who is in awe of her new form and is clearly jealous. She is beautiful to him...and then she demonstrates that she is still a monster and what that means.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I didn't read the article.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I read the article, as well as previous ones. I feel like the reviewer just doesn't like Dungeon Meshi very much. Or rather, doesn't understand why other people like it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On ANN? Never!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I wonder what forums they post on, here.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

The thing is that yeah Laios was hurt by it, but he explicitly said that what he wanted was for Shuro to be honest with him. Their relationship may have changed, but it's because it got deeper and more honest rather than Shuro trying to save face for everyone. It was ripping off a bandaid, it hurt but it had to be done eventually or they would just drift apart.

Idk dude when you tell someone "be honest with me" and their answer is "ok, I hate your loving guts and I always have, is that honest enough? gently caress you. I've never wanted to be anywhere near you." that's a little bit more extreme than "ripping a bandaid off" yeah?

Also like I do expect them to not be at each other's throats the next time they meet, it'll be fine, but I also think what's just happened between them is more than bros venting or whatever. Shuro doesn't seem to have ever actually considered laios a friend, and honestly after that revelation I think it'd be kind of weird for laios to continue to insist that they're friends.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fluffdaddy posted:

Media literacy!!!!!

The episode also hints at both Part of Falin still being alive in there and enough so that there's still a chance to save her by stopping the person forcing orders on her.

Media literacy!!!!!!

Like Shuro et al aren't meant to be 100% correct or in the right about any of this. That's the whole point of his fight with Laios and how he is forced to admit he would have done the same thing even as he's screaming about what a bad thing it was to do.

Besides the immediate threat Marcille is in fact correct Falin is confused, she's got a dragon in her and a little evil jester trying to tell it what to do.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/bajinns/status/1785462083934617778

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Idk dude when you tell someone "be honest with me" and their answer is "ok, I hate your loving guts and I always have, is that honest enough? gently caress you. I've never wanted to be anywhere near you." that's a little bit more extreme than "ripping a bandaid off" yeah?

Also like I do expect them to not be at each other's throats the next time they meet, it'll be fine, but I also think what's just happened between them is more than bros venting or whatever. Shuro doesn't seem to have ever actually considered laios a friend, and honestly after that revelation I think it'd be kind of weird for laios to continue to insist that they're friends.

You don't really go "Hey, if it ever looks like the fantasy CIA is going to catch you due to that horrific crime your party committed, give me a call, I'll smuggle you out of country and hide you somewhere safe" to someone who you don't consider a friend. Or I just don't have the right kind of acquaintances, idk.