Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

It hasn't been strictly true that marijuana use fucks over people wanting to get security clearances for quite a while. The process is still too inconsistent for comfort, but it's generally sufficient to be truthful on your application and discontinue use.

:ironicat:

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/transition-playbook/2021/03/30/high-times-at-1600-penn-492299

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/02/white-house-applicants-weed-companies-00013390

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I'm not talking about getting hired specifically into Biden's staff

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Does this level of rescheduling allow for banking in the industry? That's been a big one keeping people on the black market from what I understand. Not easy to set up a business when all your business paperwork has to say "And none of our money technically exists to comply with federal regulations."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My Spirit Otter posted:

i wonder how much in bribes elon had to pay to get ketamine rescheduled

Heard it was a real pisser for him.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

One step closer to free, government-issued Marijuana for veterans.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's a step in the right direction. Years overdue, but it's absolutely progress. Still should be legal at the federal level, though, and ideally should stop loving over people who want to get security clearances or not lie on a 4473.

Would be nice. I let my clearance lapse before I started using it like six years ago, and now that I work in IT, it would be really nice to regain it so I could get some of that sweet sweet cleared IT jobs money.

But I'm not dumb enough to risk lying about it, and I don't really care to just stop using it for a year only to get an investigator who's still going to be stupid about it.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It hasn't been strictly true that marijuana use fucks over people wanting to get security clearances for quite a while. The process is still too inconsistent for comfort, but it's generally sufficient to be truthful on your application and discontinue use.

Look, I've seen people get turbo hosed for lying on their apps thinking they'd never get caught. I'm sure lots of people get away with it, and good for them, but I ain't willing to take that risk.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Elviscat posted:

GI....Government Indica?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Look, I've seen people get turbo hosed for lying on their apps thinking they'd never get caught. I'm sure lots of people get away with it, and good for them, but I ain't willing to take that risk.

Well yeah that's what the being truthful part is about. You will absolutely get hosed for lying, just only maybe hosed for telling the truth (I'm living proof of the latter working out).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

:negative:
Katy.... noooooo

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Aight, after a 1min crash course on wiki about scheduling the shock is ya'll have specifically Testosterone use steroids in III but adhd meds in II. Your gyms only have cheaters in them god drat

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You can do a lot of the things your not supposed to do and get a clearance.

This generally only applies if:

You are in the military and have kept your nose clean for the most part.

You don’t lie.

You did all the stupid clearance ending poo poo before you joined.

Your references are solid.

Caveat: I haven’t dealt with this poo poo in a decade.

Toke up, gently caress the security state.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Aight, after a 1min crash course on wiki about scheduling the shock is ya'll have specifically Testosterone use steroids in III but adhd meds in II. Your gyms only have cheaters in them god drat

real fun when some fda stooge recently said "you know those adhd meds are overprescribed and likely abused" and meanwhile me, an adhd haver who hasn't been able to get adderall or vyvanse in 3 years, has reverted to a nonfunctional sludge

some of the people leading this country suck poo poo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You can do a lot of the things your not supposed to do and get a clearance.

This generally only applies if:

You are in the military and have kept your nose clean for the most part.

You don’t lie.

You did all the stupid clearance ending poo poo before you joined.

Your references are solid.

Caveat: I haven’t dealt with this poo poo in a decade.

Toke up, gently caress the security state.

I swear to god when I was looking at that list of clearance approval appeals that went around a few years ago I saw an adult drug dealer get his clearance approved after sufficient acknowledgment that he wouldn't do it again.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Zamujasa posted:

real fun when some fda stooge recently said "you know those adhd meds are overprescribed and likely abused" and meanwhile me, an adhd haver who hasn't been able to get adderall or vyvanse in 3 years, has reverted to a nonfunctional sludge

Tell me about it.

"Hello society, yes, it really is like that, continously giving me and others the largest allowed dose of straight up medical grade amphetamine makes me normal(a bit) like you, to you, and solves a ton of societal issues. Yes it is indeed the same thing that turns a normal person into a coke fiend. Yes they do it to be fun and my people do it to be boring.
No I don't like narcotics. Getting high don't have much appeal to me, because the, the brain, you know. Yes you should have seen me in my younger days, haha. It was a long road. Yes I guess it is very funny haha. From afar. Again, I assure you we are good normal people.

Please, I'm so completely normal I need medicine ☹"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well yeah that's what the being truthful part is about. You will absolutely get hosed for lying, just only maybe hosed for telling the truth (I'm living proof of the latter working out).

Yeah sorry, my bad if I came in hot. I've encountered multiple people in DC who have lied for theirs, and then get really stupid when I tell them I'm not willing to do so. So I'm defensive about it.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I swear to god when I was looking at that list of clearance approval appeals that went around a few years ago I saw an adult drug dealer get his clearance approved after sufficient acknowledgment that he wouldn't do it again.

I saw a dude in there that owned up to molesting his daughter years earlier but wasn't prosecuted and was still given a clearance which was :stare:

It's funny because I had a gun charge that was expunged and that was fine. Nothing exciting, just shooting guns in the woods in New England. Someone reported it as machine gun fire which lol, it was me and a buddy shooting some milsurp MNs and Mausers.

I expected my investigator to care. His response?
"But no drugs or drug charges right?"
"No."
"Cool. You're fine."

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

As someone who has somehow stumbled into a SSO job, yeah, as long as you report whatever it's way better than trying to hide it.

And if that website with the adjudications is still around I'd love to find it again to provide examples to my idiots.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

nullscan posted:

And if that website with the adjudications is still around I'd love to find it again to provide examples to my idiots.

I believe they moved it to: https://doha.ogc.osd.mil/Industrial-Security-Program/Industrial-Security-Clearance-Decisions/ISCR-Hearing-Decisions/

And the very top one is about lying in relation to foreign contacts!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

My Spirit Otter posted:

i wonder how much in bribes elon had to pay to get ketamine rescheduled

ketamine was already Sched III as an anaesthetic. the US doesn't have a strong history of ketamine abuse like some asian nations or, to a lesser degree, europe, and it's not something you'd (historically) get prescribed for mental health reasons, so there was never much impetus to have it in II. nobody casually wanders into a doctor's office and says "yo i need some anaesthesia" and walks out with a scrip like you might with brain problems drugs

that may well change in the other direction given the proliferation of less than scrupulous ketamine depression clinics, ironically

bird food bathtub posted:

Does this level of rescheduling allow for banking in the industry? That's been a big one keeping people on the black market from what I understand. Not easy to set up a business when all your business paperwork has to say "And none of our money technically exists to comply with federal regulations."

presumably no for rec stuff, since that wouldn't have a license, and the medical stuff will presumably take some time to set up infrastructure and policy. decent chance it opens a hole to make that easier, though likely with some ridiculous nonsense bureaucracy tricks to adhere to the letter of the law if so

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 30, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There is no gym in this country post... middle school (maybe) level that doesn't have dopers. It's absolutely a quiet epidemic at this point and if it turns out the drugs aren't as safe as they claim to be (though still apparently more so than the old ones), we're gonna have a real fun time in the future.

Zamujasa posted:

You know you wouldn't think they'd be so tightassed about anything that improves productivity.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Elviscat posted:

I think ketamine is getting a look for PTSD treatment too, right?

Handsome Ralph posted:

I try to avoid talking about how I "almost joined" (anywhere, but especially here), but I bailed on my Army OCS ambitions when the recruiters literally formed a circle around me and told me to fill out the SF-86 based on "who I am now" when the time came, hint hint lie about having tried pot that one time which you told us but we are pretending we didn't hear.

Nooooope, I may be dumb enough to try to become an infantry officer in 2006, but I'm not that dumb

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tiny Timbs posted:

Holding space for all the folks that will go belly up to CISA for a job that requires a clearance the day the feds do something about the "discontinue use" part

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know you wouldn't think they'd be so tightassed about anything that improves productivity.

Honestly surprised it isn't mandatory.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
When I joined the Army I admitted I had smoked weed for my clearance and also at medical in processing I think. They asked me about it in my OCS board and I just said I had tried it and don't use it anymore and that was the last I ever heard about it.

If they actually didn't accept people for smoking weed there would be nobody in the military or with clearances.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I lied through my teeth in 2002 on my clearance paperwork. I can't remember anything from 1994 to 1997 through the fog of weed smoke. But no sir, drug free life

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mustang posted:

When I joined the Army I admitted I had smoked weed for my clearance and also at medical in processing I think. They asked me about it in my OCS board and I just said I had tried it and don't use it anymore and that was the last I ever heard about it.

If they actually didn't accept people for smoking weed there would be nobody in the military or with clearances.

Yeah, both the FBI and NSA are struggling to recruit tech talent for this reason.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

There is no gym in this country post... middle school (maybe) level that doesn't have dopers. It's absolutely a quiet epidemic at this point and if it turns out the drugs aren't as safe as they claim to be (though still apparently more so than the old ones), we're gonna have a real fun time in the future.

If steroids were really that dangerous cops would be an extinct species by now

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

If steroids were really that dangerous cops would be an extinct species by now

Well, but if the argument is they cause irritability and aggression, well, cops aren't much of a counterargument, are they?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, both the FBI and NSA are struggling to recruit tech talent for this reason.

I expect FBI and other federal law enforcement organizations to be NO WEED EVER until they get repeated orders from the Supreme Court to lighten up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1785291326734377204?t=fYNQ44giI8bhAjcZXZ_SOQ&s=19

I'm sure this will resonate with all the people who are pro-Trump/anti-Biden.

The girl interviewed on ABC News a couple months ago saying that she would rather have Trump if Joe didn't try to fix things in Gaza was one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

The girl interviewed on ABC News a couple months ago saying that she would rather have Trump if Joe didn't try to fix things in Gaza was one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

I'm curious what she thinks Trump meant when he said Israel needs to "finish the problem."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Some funny poo poo at Columbia:

https://twitter.com/SheilaCoronel/status/1785481274230251586?t=RfGZu_1g_KtNsw9jcdodjw&s=19

https://twitter.com/aletweetsnews/status/1785483970462789733?t=3h-Qu4HagS9OYQfSlTYjHw&s=19

NYPD will apparently be on campus for the next three weeks, which, lol that'll fix it

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The Columbia administration has asked the NYPD to again raid the protest encampment and now occupy the campus through May 17th. The long-suffering student journalists at Columbia's WKCR radio station continue their live coverage, audibly devastated by the violence their school has inflicted and the threats made against them by officers. Admin seems to think this will achieve escalation dominance, remains to be seen how students will respond.

e: f; b

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cugel the Clever posted:

Admin seems to think this will achieve escalation dominance, remains to be seen how students will respond.

I like how Popehat put it:

https://bsky.app/profile/kenwhite.bsky.social/post/3krffjhdord2x

quote:

Occupying a building (and entering it by force) is qualitatively different than occupying a lawn, and is likely to draw qualitatively different responses. A wise university would still make its response proportional and measured, but students can expect less patience.

Also: it’s a good time to recognize that responsibility is not a zero-sum game. You can recognize that one party bears some blame without diminishing another party’s blame. The students escalated with vandalism and building occupation; Columbia has escalated at every opportunity.

Also Columbia is kind of hosed by its location. It’s a trolley problem. If they have to call in law enforcement, that law enforcement is NYPD, justifiably notorious and culturally berserk. It’s like deciding whether to go to the ER when the guy on call is Dr. Kevorkian.

original sin was calling in the loving NYPD riot cops on a lawn tent protest and probably the last moment to stop the mutual escalation ramp

also on net this mostly means nothing and people will rapidly forget after the semester ends

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My niece got arrested at Emerson in Boston this weekend. her first arrest.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My niece got arrested at Emerson in Boston this weekend. her first arrest.

Interesting statement from the Emerson President here: https://today.emerson.edu/2024/04/2...king%20arrests.

tl;dr it was the city escalating things there and the college isn't going to punish any students, sent staff to all the precincts, and bailed students out

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I work in higher ed in a security management role, albeit one that has nothing whatsoever with on-campus safety and security. I’m simply astounded by how badly these universities are handling this issue. It would cost pennies on the dollar to provide portable sanitation and other measures to mute the impact of a student camp-out in a public space, and would present a hell of a lot less reputational risk than Instagram videos of cops kicking the poo poo out of protestors. And an escalatory response merits an escalatory response- disperse an encampment from the quad and watch the protestors occupy a university building.

These kids want to be seen and more importantly heard. Give them the time and space to do so. This is exactly what academia is for.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I work in higher ed in a security management role, albeit one that has nothing whatsoever with on-campus safety and security. I’m simply astounded by how badly these universities are handling this issue. It would cost pennies on the dollar to provide portable sanitation and other measures to mute the impact of a student camp-out in a public space, and would present a hell of a lot less reputational risk than Instagram videos of cops kicking the poo poo out of protestors. And an escalatory response merits an escalatory response- disperse an encampment from the quad and watch the protestors occupy a university building.

These kids want to be seen and more importantly heard. Give them the time and space to do so. This is exactly what academia is for.

DTA (death to academia)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

DTA (death to academia)

Yeah sure, fine, maybe after all of the medical research projects, vaccine clinics in underserved areas in the US and abroad, and partner programs with universities in the developing world are done. Otherwise gently caress university admins and people who exist only to make sure donors fee-fees aren’t hurt and the endowments are replenished.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Doesn't the US have a whole mess of laws that functionally make it impossible to boycott or divest business interests in Israel?

I recall there were people in Texas seeking federal aid after a hurricane, and one of the requirements was a certify that they would not engage in any BDS activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m simply astounded by how badly these universities are handling this issue.

They’re so bad at this.

They’re alienating everyone. The Tom Cotton types are not going to love them back.