Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My favorite Punk story is that Punk was mad that iirc it was Jericho and Edge? were watching hockey instead of caring about their throwaway tag match on Raw, so he wrestled the whole match without tagging Jericho in.

The year I heard this story, Punk was tweeting about Hockey all throughout Raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Senerio posted:

My favorite Punk story is that Punk was mad that iirc it was Jericho and Edge? were watching hockey instead of caring about their throwaway tag match on Raw, so he wrestled the whole match without tagging Jericho in.

The year I heard this story, Punk was tweeting about Hockey all throughout Raw.

That's a good one. I liked the one where he stopped being friends with Hornswoggle because he asked Punk for the number of a mutual friend because he had gotten a new phone.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

That's a good one. I liked the one where he stopped being friends with Hornswoggle because he asked Punk for the number of a mutual friend because he had gotten a new phone.

The actual funniest thing about this story that people leave out 90% of the time it gets told is the mutual friend was Hayley Williams from Paramore

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alaois posted:

The actual funniest thing about this story that people leave out 90% of the time it gets told is the mutual friend was Hayley Williams from Paramore

Do you think wrestling fans/goons know who that is

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shard posted:

Punk should never have been the world champion

:dafuq:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

some people just WANT aew to have bad ratings, huh?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think they'd prefer if their company hadn't shifted baseline principles based on the whims of a prima donna who ultimately left the company worse than he found it, leading to a split fan base :shrug:

Saying he shouldn't have been world champ is ridiculous, of course, but the sentiment that it shouldn't have happened when it did or how it did with the benefit of hindsight is a valid one. I wasn't watching much at the time outside of the episode where Moxley squashed Punk though.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nah ill stand by it. Hangman should have won that first match especially with all the poo poo that followed it. Punk became champ and then hangman disappeared for a while it sucked

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

I'm going to say it because I'm incredibly brave:
Punk is washed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

some people just WANT aew to have bad ratings, huh?

Describing the meth addiction that almost killed me as "that time in my life when I had the most energy"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Describing the meth addiction that almost killed me as "that time in my life when I had the most energy"

Looks like what's "almost killing" AEW is whatever they're currently doing :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

During the Sunday Observer Radio with Dave, Bryan's daughter got sick enough that he had to take her to the emergency room afterwards, and they were there till 5am waiting to get her looked at (happily it seems she is okay) so he ended up on about 3 hours of sleep when it was time for the Monday Observer Radio. So he asked Dave to please start at 11pm so he could get some sleep. At 11:30pm they hadn't started and he's trying to find out where Dave is, and it turns out Dave is tweeting (I assume at weirdos).

Not sure whether to find this funny or kind of maddening, to be honest!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Twitter is the first place I’d have looked so I feel like that one’s on Alvarez tbh

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Great body tug insights from Granny

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Looks like what's "almost killing" AEW is whatever they're currently doing :shrug:

Oh wow, me and AEW have a lot in common :cheersbird:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

wonder what his username is with how into the dirt he worked everything

fogerty13

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cool Post Beg posted:

Great body tug insights from Granny

WWE Bragger's Night

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DMorbid posted:

Do you think wrestling fans/goons know who that is

I couldn't tell you what her name is normally but the inclusion of the band name made me go "that must be the lead singer of Paramore" a fairly famous band I have heard several songs of.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jerusalem posted:

During the Sunday Observer Radio with Dave, Bryan's daughter got sick enough that he had to take her to the emergency room afterwards, and they were there till 5am waiting to get her looked at (happily it seems she is okay) so he ended up on about 3 hours of sleep when it was time for the Monday Observer Radio. So he asked Dave to please start at 11pm so he could get some sleep. At 11:30pm they hadn't started and he's trying to find out where Dave is, and it turns out Dave is tweeting (I assume at weirdos).

Did Dave show up to the podcast with his own pee bottles?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The description of the Boom Wrestling show makes it sound like so much fun

e: lmao picturing Bryan, Dave, Vinny, etc. getting grilled at customs is incredible

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 1, 2024

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

bryan, like tony khan, understands that the biggest star gets the longest leash

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

I couldn't tell you what her name is normally but the inclusion of the band name made me go "that must be the lead singer of Paramore" a fairly famous band I have heard several songs of.

Paramore's fanbase is weird and obsessive/parasocial enough that there's gotta be a wrestling fan crossover somewhere in there.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

CombineThresher posted:

Paramore's fanbase is weird and obsessive/parasocial enough that there's gotta be a wrestling fan crossover somewhere in there.

i like pro wrestling and paramore but i'm not weird and parasocial, i'm cool and handsome like my friends in paramore.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Trish and Sarah continue to make salient points that I agree with but am too bad with words to make myself.

The biggest specific example I can think of is that their segment about the Ronda/Gulak stuff and how people dismissed their criticisms really hit me as my primary issue with a ton of criticism levied at AEW/WWE and even non-wrestling company related stuff that I'm going to decline to name because I don't want to open that can of worms.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Senerio posted:

The biggest specific example I can think of is that their segment about the Ronda/Gulak stuff....
:hmmyes:
I finished the episode today and my twitter timeline gets flooded with anti-Ronda stuff out of nowhere, and it's Jimmy Smith doing it.

Now, like Trish and Sarah said, Ronda as a person is not good but that also shouldn't be used to downplay harassment that she experienced or anyone experiences because they aren't a perfect victim

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Alaois posted:

As far as I know that's always been a Reddit comment section rumor and nothing more? In his book, Swoggle says it was her husband.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

As far as I know that's always been a Reddit comment section rumor and nothing more? In his book, Swoggle says it was her husband.

thats even funnier if he was trying to get Chad Gilberts number lmao

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

The description of the Boom Wrestling show makes it sound like so much fun

e: lmao picturing Bryan, Dave, Vinny, etc. getting grilled at customs is incredible

Boom is my local indie and I have a season pass.

My friend got the whole room to sing the American national anthem in Canada when Abe Lincoln was banished from time.

I talked to Bryan and shared a Larry Sweeney story with him

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Boom is my local indie and I have a season pass.

My friend got the whole room to sing the American national anthem in Canada when Abe Lincoln was banished from time.

I talked to Bryan and shared a Larry Sweeney story with him

You're not...Big Cat, are you?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

You're not...Big Cat, are you?

I’ll never tell.

Nah, I’m trying out in the fall and the hope is to wrestle or ref for Boom next year

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dave and Bryan being all worried about Shibata because of the hockey puck spot had me cracking up.

(Yeah it would suck to get your lip/nose busted by one. But it's not gonna cause a concussion from 3 feet away being lightly thrown.)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

Dave and Bryan being all worried about Shibata because of the hockey puck spot had me cracking up.

(Yeah it would suck to get your lip/nose busted by one. But it's not gonna cause a concussion from 3 feet away being lightly thrown.)

Yeah even though it's a heavy chunk of solid, vulcanized rubber, there's a world of difference between a light toss and a 100mph slapshot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they had to remove the hockey puck from his brain 😔

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

they had to remove the hockey puck from his brain 😔

pretty routine injury in Canada

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

this happens to a lot of us as we get older. Sicko spots sometimes hit our old people brains and we just want these crazy kids to be ok!

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

they took his brain with the puck implanted in it out but just put the puck back in instead. shibatas got a taste for tim hortons now

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012

Senerio posted:

Trish and Sarah continue to make salient points that I agree with but am too bad with words to make myself.

The biggest specific example I can think of is that their segment about the Ronda/Gulak stuff and how people dismissed their criticisms really hit me as my primary issue with a ton of criticism levied at AEW/WWE and even non-wrestling company related stuff that I'm going to decline to name because I don't want to open that can of worms.

I'm listening right now to their most recent episode, and one thing that sticks out to me is that it feels like they're criticizing in good faith, which is something I'm genuinely not feeling from everyone else. Like, someone would say that "AEW is bad because the Young Bucks are on top and all over the show", as opposed to "AEW could stand to make their world championship be more of a focal point than it is".

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Agreed. I don't agree with some of their opinions - I felt that the Dynasty cycle was extremely engaging, for example - but they have reasonable critiques that are expertly laid out and they also back up a lot of the things they say with raw data and clear analysis that I have no idea about otherwise. They're quick to praise the things they like and quick to express trepidation or desire for improvement in the things they don't. It's a tone that helps them stand out in a medium that usually lacks a lot of that. I find their ratings breakdowns to be super interesting since I have no idea how any of that works and they clearly do, and I think their knowledge allows them to not be knee-jerk with their critiques. It really is a refreshing listen!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Close to finishing this week's episode. It's a great podcast and the criticizing in good faith is such a good way to describe it. My only complaint would be that it's too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MediaPlayerClassic posted:

I'm listening right now to their most recent episode, and one thing that sticks out to me is that it feels like they're criticizing in good faith, which is something I'm genuinely not feeling from everyone else. Like, someone would say that "AEW is bad because the Young Bucks are on top and all over the show", as opposed to "AEW could stand to make their world championship be more of a focal point than it is".

Yeah, I'm bad at putting it into words, but like, I criticize AEW because I think they can and should do better, but I don't vocalize/write those criticisms often because I'll get lumped in with the people who just think that Olivier is an insult because Actors are gay or whatever the reasoning was.

Like, as a specific example, the point they made about the builds for PPVs built around dream matches seeming less important than the ones built around a main story, is something I agree with but can't phrase properly without seeming like "oh AEW should never run dream matches," which is a stupid sentiment I disagree with.

I liked Dynasty, to be clear, but I found the build to not make me as hype as I should have been for it.

Dango Bango posted:

Close to finishing this week's episode. It's a great podcast and the criticizing in good faith is such a good way to describe it. My only complaint would be that it's too long.

It's mostly that long because it's biweekly. I'm going through the older episodes now to hear if our opinions diverge in major ways beyond me liking FTR.