Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, even if Rebirth didn’t do that well, there’s no reality where Square doesnt finish Part 3 and release it. We may instead just not get another Final Fantasy remake which I am okay with. They instead move onto Final Fantasy 17, and maybe release it multi-platform from the start.

where's the evidence that rebirth underperformed other than that rando twitter account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rinkles posted:

took me 30 hours to realize XBX has a transmog system

when you max out a class, are you expected to move on to the others? i think that would be more to keep things fresh than getting stronger, since your art and skill slots are very limited.

Most endgame builds want passives from multiple different classes to come together, plus it IS fun and keeps things fresh.

On a Troubleshooter related note I decided to go back and try to do the content added after I stopped playing, but as predicted I could not figure out what the hell was going on with my characters and I figure it might not be a bad idea to get the full plot experience with the updated translation in one go anyways, so I started a new game. Boy, I had forgotten how LONG it takes before you have anything even resembling a real party. Hell, not even that, how long it takes before you have a permanent third party member. Save me, random police guys!

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 1, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's a shame Troubleshooter probably is never coming to console, as it seems like a game with mechanics I'd like, but I just don't do a lot of PC gaming.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I started sending away cops when I had like 3 party members. I would keep the melee ones tho.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i couldn't really get into harvestella, the farming was even more of an afterthought than rune factory's and the action game part just felt off to me

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think you're playing Harvestella just to see how hard the story goes

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Koudelka good

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Looper posted:

i couldn't really get into harvestella, the farming was even more of an afterthought than rune factory's and the action game part just felt off to me

Okay: so, I wouldn't argue very hard that they intended it, but I almost see the pointlessness of the farming as serving a thematic purpose. You're constantly told that you'd be happy if you just stuck to your farm (where you don't do any work and fairies painlessly do everything with magic and nonsensical machinery.) The game is constantly interested in showing simplistic fantasies as deluded - Aria doesn't have her clean iisekai, it's impossible to get a fresh start that saves you from dealing with the consequences of your past, and a "cozy calm wholesome cottage" life only exists if someone swept something under the rug for you while you weren't looking.

But also yeah it's boring and it would be a better game if it weren't. Probably.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Harvestella is very much a "more than the sum of its parts" kinda deal. Each piece of it - farming, action, story - is just average, but they all combine to make something unique and cool.

If you vibe with it, of course. Can't argue against anyone who didn't feel it, but man, I totally did.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's a small thing but I really liked the art for all the stuff you farm, collect, fish and cook in Harvestella and the like sticker books for chasing completions.

I will put up with a lot for a game that has you catalog stuff in a cool way.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I've been playing xenogears on and off for the last 6 months and finally at a point where I might just put it down. I'm super torn on it. All of it's parts are equally brilliant and half baked. I'll just vomit my thoughts.
  • The story is absolutely the strongest point of the game but god drat by disc two it's a loving mess. Plotline whiplash is jarring, arcs will be brought up and resolved often within minutes. The psychological aspects (that often get the most praise) are the weakest in my opinion. Mental health disorders like schizophrenia and depression being turned into anime power fantasy tropes makes me think the writers didn't understand the subject matter they were dealing with.
  • The combat looked and played great but almost every fight (outside of like 1 or two bosses) just boiled down to out damaging the opponent.
  • The deathblow system added a ton of interactivity at first but ended up adding nothing as you are siloed into using the latest deathblow you unlock.
  • The dungeons are almost all irredeemably bad. They are a mix of maze like clone stamped corridors and PS1 era 3d platforming which would be "fine" but they chose to go with the sadistic encounter rate to top it all off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually it's badass when trauma gives me a mysterious evil alter ego that kills people with a giant robot

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jimlit posted:

I've been playing xenogears on and off for the last 6 months and finally at a point where I might just put it down. I'm super torn on it. All of it's parts are equally brilliant and half baked. I'll just vomit my thoughts.
  • The story is absolutely the strongest point of the game but god drat by disc two it's a loving mess. Plotline whiplash is jarring, arcs will be brought up and resolved often within minutes. The psychological aspects (that often get the most praise) are the weakest in my opinion. Mental health disorders like schizophrenia and depression being turned into anime power fantasy tropes makes me think the writers didn't understand the subject matter they were dealing with.
  • The combat looked and played great but almost every fight (outside of like 1 or two bosses) just boiled down to out damaging the opponent.
  • The deathblow system added a ton of interactivity at first but ended up adding nothing as you are siloed into using the latest deathblow you unlock.
  • The dungeons are almost all irredeemably bad. They are a mix of maze like clone stamped corridors and PS1 era 3d platforming which would be "fine" but they chose to go with the sadistic encounter rate to top it all off.

If you're already in disc 2 you're honestly not terribly far from beating it, disc 2 is overall not that long. Probably because of it being... Y'know, Xenogears disc 2.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you're already in disc 2 you're honestly not terribly far from beating it, disc 2 is overall not that long. Probably because of it being... Y'know, Xenogears disc 2.

Apparently i'm like 20-30 hours off, but yeah will pick it up again. My pattern is has been to bounce off when I hit a lovely dungeon then come back in a few weeks.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I got lost as a kid during one of those dungeons even with a gamefaqs guide lol. It was the crystal(?) looking dungeon, zooming around as gears.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Jimlit posted:

Apparently i'm like 20-30 hours off, but yeah will pick it up again. My pattern is has been to bounce off when I hit a lovely dungeon then come back in a few weeks.

You already made it through the Tower of Babel; none of the other dungeons will give you any trouble.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
realized what really makes giftpia frustrating to me. a lot of the basic traps you fall into in the early game are the same ones that exist in chulip and moon but in chulip and moon you had monsters and undergrounders to provide bite size puzzles that give you a good bit of exp, so even if you're not progressing in anything big it does still feel like you are always making big progress. in giftpia there is no equivalent to these so i'm spending less time solving puzzles in my head and more time begging the heavens for a hint on what the gently caress to do to get myself to a point where i can stay up past 6pm, because literally all you can do for that is progress the bigger storylines but the bigger storylines are both as hidden as in chulip and moon, and also very strictly sequenced so you only ever have access to one at a time. this does mean the game gives you extremely specific directions to them but because the conditions for starting someone's quest are still weirdly strict, even with directions it can be confusing trying to figure out exactly what the game wants you to do while you're juggling the four other things it's presenting in front of you at all times

so like, my hint for this current one was "to come over at dinner time". i dont know what time dinner time is and even if i did giftpia's clock kind of sucks for judging the time. i think the character inviting me is inviting me to dinner at their house, because they have a huge mansion, but that is not the case. i notice other characters complaining about "the kitchen" being closed, but at this point i did not know the kitchen was, a distinct storefront within town. so i only figure out what they're referring to after i take some time off from trying to make money or explore areas the game isn't really giving me clear indication whether i should be exploring or not yet and go check out a store that was previously closed off just before my first level up. i go talk to apron, the lady who runs the kitchen, and present her a gift stone, which i get no response on. then she makes mention that i should come back at 17:00 for dinner. i don't know what time 17:00 is on giftpia's clock because it is extremely basic and doesn't clearly delineate between am or pm so it takes another day for me to decide to spend time just waiting at the kitchen to see her walk over to the front at 17:00 and then presenting the gift stone lets me start her quest. in a game where you have less constant pressures figuring this out probably wouldn't be too bad but giftpia is a game with a hunger system constantly ticking you closer to death so at basically all times i'm playing i'm juggling that with the actual clock and the time the lady's quest opens up is basically around the time i'd be walking home already to avoid passing out. you can figure it out naturally, with, enough time, but the mechanical design of giftpia really is not letting you approach stuff as relaxed as animal crossing here. or, for comparison again, chulip, where doing this sort of thing has no cost or risk associated with it other than if you talk to someone when they're in a bad mood

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 1, 2024

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

On a Troubleshooter related note I decided to go back and try to do the content added after I stopped playing, but as predicted I could not figure out what the hell was going on with my characters and I figure it might not be a bad idea to get the full plot experience with the updated translation in one go anyways, so I started a new game. Boy, I had forgotten how LONG it takes before you have anything even resembling a real party. Hell, not even that, how long it takes before you have a permanent third party member. Save me, random police guys!

I struggled pretty hard with maintaining interest in the early game, and I hope this is common feedback they've received and will address in Banished Children. Removing all the extraneous systems will help with the pacing and initial feeling of being overwhelmed.

I went from playing it a few hours a week when it was just Sion and Albus--to several hours a day once the party increased to four.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

How is the chibi FF15 game on switch. I’d like to play 15, but I don’t feel like hooking up a Playststion and it’s on sale?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think Troubleshooter 2 is going to double down on the pokemon in some aspects. One of their big focuses with the concept art they been showing is all the new animals. I think there is a good chance we get those systems earlier. Seems like an easy to like avoid the cop problem but still let them like doll out some party members slowly (which while the first 3 and 4 kinda took way too long, i do enjoy that aspect, it just feels better once you get to the later game).

Though if they do this, there are some stuff with pet masteries i hope they take another look at and streamline.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I love Troubleshooter to death but the glacial speed at which you collect party members is one of the few lovely things about it. They really wanted to sell the "struggling startup" thing but it makes the early game a huge slog, especially if you're playing blind and don't have foreknowledge to just beeline the story until you've got a crew and instead try to spend time doing side content when you've just got Albus and Sion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

How is the chibi FF15 game on switch. I’d like to play 15, but I don’t feel like hooking up a Playststion and it’s on sale?

It's a pretty different experience truth be told. It cuts out almost all the extraneous stuff and is almost raw plot/linear gameplay so you lose the road trip vibes.

Edit: There is actually more main story stuff than in the actual game though, like actual dialogue and poo poo that actively expands the characters. L

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 1, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it doesn't take that long to get more party members if you only do the main story missions for a while. the optional missions and grinding being available from the start are traps.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Systems I think they should remove
1. the food thing. its cute but its also obviously like a leftover of their mmo inspired design
2. shooter street, lol. i didn't dislike it as much as most people do, again i thought it was cute, but yeah not something they should spend any sort of time on.
3. extracting rocks
4. item containers
5. robots. the idea of having like one type of unit you actually have to just wholesale create out of thin air is fun but ultimately its just not really connected back to the other masteries systems and its own weird island.
6. Rep with shop owners, lol.
7. generic cops or cop equivalents.

things that they should either remove or rework
1. Crafting. honestly a system i like but the current form is very unwieldy. either streamline the hell of it, or gut it out completely and double down on the cool unique red item drops.
2. Jurisdictions. Its fun and flavorful so I like the idea of it but its just also kinda... there. I think a rework version in the new game could be kinda cool? Since you know its out in the mountains and wilderness, so maybe some sort of like reworked system to represent scavenging?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kanos posted:

I love Troubleshooter to death but the glacial speed at which you collect party members is one of the few lovely things about it. They really wanted to sell the "struggling startup" thing but it makes the early game a huge slog, especially if you're playing blind and don't have foreknowledge to just beeline the story until you've got a crew and instead try to spend time doing side content when you've just got Albus and Sion.

I'm pretty sure the actual reason was that it was in Early Access for a long time and their stage designers worked faster than their character pipeline.

The entire game is like a first draft since they never removed anything once it was added.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it doesn't take that long to get more party members if you only do the main story missions for a while. the optional missions and grinding being available from the start are traps.

That's pretty much what I said, yes. The issue is that anyone who is just playing it blind is probably not going to beeline the story because there are ten billion jillion side missions in Troubleshooter and also 15 different systems to power your characters up, so most people will go "ah i want to get stronger" and try doing that stuff.

Party acquisition in that game is basically momentum based, where it takes a notable amount of time to get your third party member and then they start coming faster and faster.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 1, 2024

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

It's a pretty different experience truth be told. It cuts out almost all the extraneous stuff and is almost raw plot/linear gameplay so you lose the road trip vibes.

Edit: There is actually more main story stuff than in the actual game though, like actual dialogue and poo poo that actively expands the characters. L

I was hoping for some road trip vibes, not as much, but some.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Troubleshooter is probably my favorite game ever but yeah I am thankful they are able to do a sequel that is going let them start from scratch in some respects because hopefully its going to become a much easier sale to people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

I was hoping for some road trip vibes, not as much, but some.

Yeah, that's only in the console version TBH.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Systems I think they should remove
1. the food thing. its cute but its also obviously like a leftover of their mmo inspired design
2. shooter street, lol. i didn't dislike it as much as most people do, again i thought it was cute, but yeah not something they should spend any sort of time on.
3. extracting rocks
4. item containers
5. robots. the idea of having like one type of unit you actually have to just wholesale create out of thin air is fun but ultimately its just not really connected back to the other masteries systems and its own weird island.
6. Rep with shop owners, lol.
7. generic cops or cop equivalents.

things that they should either remove or rework
1. Crafting. honestly a system i like but the current form is very unwieldy. either streamline the hell of it, or gut it out completely and double down on the cool unique red item drops.
2. Jurisdictions. Its fun and flavorful so I like the idea of it but its just also kinda... there. I think a rework version in the new game could be kinda cool? Since you know its out in the mountains and wilderness, so maybe some sort of like reworked system to represent scavenging?

they should also remove training manuals and the rent and payment system. both are clearly leftovers trivialized to irrelevance.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Stexils posted:

they should also remove training manuals and the rent and payment system. both are clearly leftovers trivialized to irrelevance.

i knew there was something i was forgetting

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i think the robot system could be cool if it was just, less grindy? as it is i just kind of stopped using kylie because between that and her weapon upgrades being tied to the godawful crafting system she was the Grind character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think Shooter Street is actually cool as hell conceptually and the whole "doing odd jobs for random local business people" fits 100% into the vibe of Albus being the local neighborhood watch on top of being a mercenary. I wouldn't want them to remove that kind of thing, I'd want them to expand it and make it feel good as part of a singleplayer experience instead of as a half-finished vestige of an mmo rep grind system.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stexils posted:

While it didn't add anything, the rent you were charged was such a completely microscopic amount it just sort of felt like a little bonus flavor thing and didn't really detract from anything either. Then again if you're just hanging out in a mountain tribe you're probably not paying rent anyways so it's probably the most obviously removed "system". I am very curious to see what lessons the devs specifically learned from the first game because while it is overall a good game, it is very obviously a messy frankenstein of a game. A clean break from all of that stuff is very exciting and I can't wait to see what they do with it. Y'know, in 2016 or whenever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Infinity Gaia posted:

While it didn't add anything, the rent you were charged was such a completely microscopic amount it just sort of felt like a little bonus flavor thing and didn't really detract from anything either.

The problem is that it wastes your time. Like, it's only a few seconds every so often, but if you play a lot it will happen a lot.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Clarste posted:

The problem is that it wastes your time. Like, it's only a few seconds every so often, but if you play a lot it will happen a lot.

I mean, you can set it to happen once every 15 missions. Which is a very long amount of time in between each couple seconds long scene of paying the rent. Like I said it doesn't really add anything but a small bit of fluff but claiming it happens enough to be disruptive is just false.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, you can set it to happen once every 15 missions. Which is a very long amount of time in between each couple seconds long scene of paying the rent. Like I said it doesn't really add anything but a small bit of fluff but claiming it happens enough to be disruptive is just false.

I think people just have different ideas of what is disruptive. See the people getting upset over a 3 seond scene of Chadley saying good job in Rebirth for a more modern example.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

it doesnt happen often but its annoying every time it happens because its an interruption for a completely trivial amount. youre not getting any new dialogue or something either its just repeating a ui prompt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not mentioned anywhere but there are cards locked behind winning 35 total duels (10 C, B, A and 5 S) so if you got stuck in your collecting if cards thats why. Its also helpful if you are patently insane and plan to grind out the 120 duels you'll need to do for the achievement for beating every duelist. If anyone has that please, I beg you, play literally any other card game instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean its rent + paying everybody too, so its not like even one thing adding up.

Kanos posted:

I think Shooter Street is actually cool as hell conceptually and the whole "doing odd jobs for random local business people" fits 100% into the vibe of Albus being the local neighborhood watch on top of being a mercenary. I wouldn't want them to remove that kind of thing, I'd want them to expand it and make it feel good as part of a singleplayer experience instead of as a half-finished vestige of an mmo rep grind system.

I mean doing sidequests is fine so yeah, do sidequests. Like I love that bit too but it just did not need to be in a weird MP hub.