Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ya know, this does explain the disconnected disc I found in the tray during a subsequent cleaning...

Today I try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Anyones experience with RatRig is not exactly relevant to the V-Core 4. It's a new printer entirely. I can relate my criticisms of the previous ratrig printers, but I don't believe they're relevant for the V-core 4.

Nero's measured opinoin on ratrig:

Ratrig is a printer company, and not a voron analog. They want to SELL YOU PRINTERS. This is something very different from voron.

Ratrig printers don't default to enclosed. They suggest PETG is a fair plastic for the machine, which makes enclosing them not even an option. There is no, or only poor electronics enclosure. They're strictly less capable than voron, at least in their as delivered form.

The V-Core 4 still has rough edges, but it's a much more complete solution.

Thank you for your input! I only meant to compare Voron and Rat Rig as largish coreXY printers that are sold as kits (by third parties in case of Voron).

On the surface the V-core 4 seems to address your critisism of the earlier generations, which is probably an indication that the critisism is accurate. I guess no one has a V-core 4 yet, so how it works out in practice remains to be seen.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

I was going to get this until:

$10/oz
3 month shelf life
do not let it touch any part of you ever
and the scary : open away from your face as it might become pressurized and explode out on opening the container.

I read both good and bad about IPS Weld-On 16 or 3 or 4 i just dunno.

Sockser posted:

You're not going to get anything faster than superglue, other than superglue and an activator spray, which is near-instant and would give you zero time to align the two parts

Model some pins/holes into the print so you don't need to hold them together while the superglue dries

I have pins, but its a guide, it doesnt hold gaps together, and it doesnt help me set complex curves where i need to hold the bond for 20min pressing while superglue leaks out all over and is sliding around.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

If you let CA accelerator dry, it still works and usually kicks a little bit slower. You also don't need to put it on the entire joint, just a couple of small spots is enough to fix the parts while the rest of the glue cures. I use Starbond products for just about everything I build that needs gluing.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Roundboy posted:

I have pins, but its a guide, it doesnt hold gaps together, and it doesnt help me set complex curves where i need to hold the bond for 20min pressing while superglue leaks out all over and is sliding around.

Are you using gel? I find it can take quite a while to cure, but the OG thin stuff sets in a few seconds.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Nerobro posted:

Nero's measured opinoin on ratrig:

Are you talking about yourself in the third person or do you mean the youtuber? :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

deimos posted:

Are you talking about yourself in the third person or do you mean the youtuber? :v:

Yeah, I was talking about myself in the 3rd person. I mean, I have a youtube channel, but I am not Nero3d. :-)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TerminalSaint posted:

Are you using gel? I find it can take quite a while to cure, but the OG thin stuff sets in a few seconds.

At this point I have had like 4 kinds and they might be tacky but still a mess and required me to hold things together way to long

But the bullet on some thicker ca and accelerant so here we go

I have a trex skull where the jaw is in parts and the tension of the rear attached to the rest causes the part to have a gap unless I get a very strong bond.

And now I have a huge wearable Cubone skull that will be a nightmare to hold curves really nice together.. I don't want to play Bondo artisan all day

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Roundboy posted:

What is everyone's go to for quick, secure gluing ?

I have an overlarge print that is made up of several parts, and I want to have a bit of work time, but I would prefer it to become permeant much quicker then superglue is atm.

Trying to get two curved parts together w/ superglue leaves me with too much wiggle room, and i have to hold it in place for much longer then I want to. I also tried some model glue I found at hobby lobby that said to melt and weld plastic together, but it doesn't seem to work with PLA, or it takes a very long time.

I want a couple min work time, and a bond that is as secure as two parts being printed together originally. What are you using? Clean up is fine as I need to bondo some gaps and sand regardless

Just use accelerator when using superglue.
https://starbond.com/products/aerosol-accelerator

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Roundboy posted:

I have an overlarge print that is made up of several parts, and I want to have a bit of work time, but I would prefer it to become permeant much quicker then superglue is atm.

Trying to get two curved parts together w/ superglue leaves me with too much wiggle room, and i have to hold it in place for much longer then I want to. I also tried some model glue I found at hobby lobby that said to melt and weld plastic together, but it doesn't seem to work with PLA, or it takes a very long time.

I want a couple min work time, and a bond that is as secure as two parts being printed together originally. What are you using? Clean up is fine as I need to bondo some gaps and sand regardless

It's not a couple mins of work time (it's maybe 5-10 seconds at most) but IPS-16 (by weld-on) is absolutely fantastic for PLA. It's the consistency of model airplane cement (a somewhat runny syrup in other words) and it loving locks PLA up like nobody's business. It's made for acrylics, but it works great on PLA.

Super glue is great, but unlike super glue IPS-16 is gap-filling (and a hell of a lot cheaper by volume than anything like gel super glue)

Towards the other end of the spectrum is E6000 glue. Doesn't cure super fast, but it's more forgiving. Also like IPS-16 those pieces ain't coming apart afterwards.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Roundboy posted:

That hobby glue is only going to work on injection molded thermoplastics so it won't be of much use to you, sadly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Roundboy posted:

e6000 or gorilla 2 part epoxy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Roundboy posted:

If your super glue is sliding around for 20 minutes I don't think I'd call it super glue.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

This tube says Astro Gl.... oh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Important things to know about cyanoacrylate glue (i.e. pretty much anything sold as super glue or krazy glue):

Cyanoacrylate needs water* to cure.
Oxygen inhibits curing.
Air contains both oxygen and water.

This means that if you squeeze a blob of CA glue onto some surface, where it is exposed to both oxygen and atmospheric moisture, it will cure very slowly as water diffuses in but oxygen inhibits the reaction. If applied thickly, the outer layer of the glue will harden and prevent moisture from reaching the inner layers, so it will never fully cure!

The right way to use superglue is to clamp the glued parts together tightly, excluding oxygen. Then the curing reaction proceeds quickly and completely. Gel-type gap-filling superglues cure much more slowly than the thin kind for this reason. I don't recommend gap-filling superglue in general if you can avoid it.

This also means that the glue may not cure properly on surfaces with low moisture content. Totally impervious things like polyethylene, which also has low surface energy, don't glue well at all. You can improve the bond in many cases by slightly wetting the surface opposite the glue. Some substrates naturally contain more moisture than others: wood, cardboard, human skin. CA cures on these surfaces very quickly.

Finally, it means that superglue has a shelf life once it's opened. The moisture in the air will trigger the reaction and the glue will harden in the bottle over a few months. There is no point in buying a huge bottle to save money unless you can use the whole thing in less than six months or so. Buy small amounts at a time, and put the container in an impervious bag with some of that silica gel desiccant if you want to try to extend its life.

*technically it needs a source of hydroxyl ions, and water is a good source. But there are better sources, which is why there are other chemicals that can accelerate cyanoacrylate curing.

I hope this has been helpful.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Well, looks like I"ll order that P1S now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I had this once, resolved through lower lift speed and tightening up the build plate attachment

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Failson posted:

Well, looks like I"ll order that P1S now.

Is that a Prusa XL tool head or something like it on another machine?

Lol didn't tighten the nozzle?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I’ve had a number of successful prints in the week I’ve had my Neptune 4 Pro running but the other day I leave it running while I’m at work and was sent a picture of a mess of spaghetti. The nozzle head looks like this:

How bad is that, overall, like is this thing cleanable or busted and I need a new one? I didn’t have time to attempt a clean so I haven’t even tried but will tonight.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Should be fine. If it's pla, heat the tip to 120ish and take off the nozzle, then you can either discard it or take it to a propane torch (outside). Then heat it to 120-140 (enough for the pla to flow more freely), and scrape or paper towel the actual head, being extremely careful not to burn yourself, then again at whatever temp you print at (new paper towel).

Not sure if possible, but take off the ducts and fans so you have more access.

E to add: needless to say: pull the filament once you get it to cold pull temps.

deimos fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 2, 2024

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Is that a Prusa XL tool head or something like it on another machine?

Lol didn't tighten the nozzle?

It's a Monoprice MP10. Which was a rebadged Malyan MR10. It was cheap and had a big build volume, and did it's job well for a year and half.

Not sure if the nozzle came loose or cracked, or what, I hadn't messed with it.

Compatible replacement hotends are looking hard enough to source that I'll just junk it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sagebrush posted:

Important things to know about cyanoacrylate glue (i.e. pretty much anything sold as super glue or krazy glue):

This is everything about CA glue that I never knew I wanted to know.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Seriously. Goon infodumping is the best infodumping.

Thank you, Sagebrush.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I had this once, resolved through lower lift speed and tightening up the build plate attachment

Yeah I sorted it out. I'm getting better at repeating my same steps each time and I ensured the plate was solidly mounted for my next attempt and it printed 100% correctly.

Now I've got my first test print using structural supports done:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

deimos posted:

Should be fine. If it's pla, heat the tip to 120ish and take off the nozzle, then you can either discard it or take it to a propane torch (outside). Then heat it to 120-140 (enough for the pla to flow more freely), and scrape or paper towel the actual head, being extremely careful not to burn yourself, then again at whatever temp you print at (new paper towel).

Not sure if possible, but take off the ducts and fans so you have more access.

E to add: needless to say: pull the filament once you get it to cold pull temps.

I have tons of nozzles, so I'd just as soon chuck it just to make things easier. I'm really hoping that's all it takes, I wanna get back to printing asap. It's fun. :3:

I made a happy, articulated crab. :3: :3:

VVVV
likewise thank you for helping ME and my babby's first printer. I gotta get this working, my 5 year old calls it the 'toy making machine' and he's enjoyed the output thus far

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 2, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Crap. I would have to recalibrate after changing the hotend, wouldn't I? I had to change it after a nozzle head broke off.

Edit: Also, thank you all so much for dealing with me and babby's first 3D printer.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 2, 2024

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

kid sinister posted:

Crap. I would have to recalibrate after changing the hotend, wouldn't I? I had to change it after a nozzle head broke off.

Edit: Also, thank you all so much for dealing with me and babby's first 3D printer.

If you're referring to the z-offset, yeah it may need to be tweaked, but it should be pretty darn close to where it was before assuming you made a like-for-like swap. Did you replace the whole hotend? Or just the nozzle?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

armorer posted:

If you're referring to the z-offset, yeah it may need to be tweaked, but it should be pretty darn close to where it was before assuming you made a like-for-like swap. Did you replace the whole hotend? Or just the nozzle?

Both. I broke the tip off the old nozzle.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If I have some pre-made models from Thingiverse and I want to add circular pedestal bases to them (so that small children can use them more easily), what is the best method to do that? Is that something I can do as a simple addition before slicing it in the software (Voxeldance Tango), or do I need to add that kind of thing in another interface prior to using that application?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

If I have some pre-made models from Thingiverse and I want to add circular pedestal bases to them (so that small children can use them more easily), what is the best method to do that? Is that something I can do as a simple addition before slicing it in the software (Voxeldance Tango), or do I need to add that kind of thing in another interface prior to using that application?

I haven't used Voxeldance Tango but most slicers will allow you to position two models together so they overlap and the output will obviously be a single model.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ok so it's just a matter of importing a disc and slapping them together. I think I can do that.

Should I still do an angled print so that only the support structure is fused to the build plate or is it okay to go completely parallel and have the pedestal directly against the build plate?

Honestly I prefer doing it at an angle because it's way easier to pop it off the plate than when it's the entire model all attached fully, but I don't mind doing it if it results in a better print.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Cura/prusa/bambu/orca etc should let you add a disc directly in the slicer and merge the models together when you slice.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

voxeldance tango literally just patched out wifi printing so they can 'optimize it'

so they can eat my poo poo and hair

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've never heard of that software until now and I already don't like it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Voxeldance bases Tango's pricing on how many prints they allow to you to output per month. It's loving ridiculous, and I'm actually quite surprised to see anyone using it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Do they even have features worth paying for? We already had Simplify

From the website:
"The professional All-in-One build preparation software solutions for leaders and future leaders willing to innovate and succeed."

lolfuckingwhat? Are you selling this on LinkedIn?

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 3, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hell yes

queeb fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 3, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm using it because it came with the printer w/ a license. :(

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

queeb posted:

hell yes

Imagine talking to the self of, like, two years ago and saying, "Oh by the way you're going to be dropping $1,483 on an order. Nah it's no biggie, that's just the operating costs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

bird food bathtub posted:

Imagine talking to the self of, like, two years ago and saying, "Oh by the way you're going to be dropping $1,483 on an order. Nah it's no biggie, that's just the operating costs."

lol reading my post history from like 2 years ago is pretty funny

"how the gently caress do i do this calibration cube"

edit: though the first thing i did was make dungeon tiles and that pretty much kickstarted my etsy journey so yeah, fun to scroll back, im glad I've been liveblogging stuff here haha

queeb fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 3, 2024