Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Regular Wario posted:

janeway has several holodeck programs where she kills neelix

she makes him watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
thats how neelixs feet shrunk, janeway broke them multiple times

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

really though, the only way that neelix being the sole cook for 150 people active 24 hours a day makes any sense is if they also replicated a bunch of high tech kitchen appliances to automate most of the work.

Maybe there is Night Shift Negahelix and we just never see them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Regular Wario posted:

janeway has several holodeck programs where she kills neelix

One is a variant of the holodeck program where Data chokes a Borg over and over while saying "No. No. No." :geno:

naem
May 29, 2011

after they were separated Tuvok now has enormous Nelix feet

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How many lights are there, Neelix

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I love how since the last time I checked this thread like 3 more Star Treks got aired and we're still talking about Voyager.
I can't with Disco, liked SNW, meh about Picard, so I also went back to the comfortable hateability of Voyager. Actually watched Blink of an Eye last night and absolutely loved it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

computer angel posted:

I love how since the last time I checked this thread like 3 more Star Treks got aired and we're still talking about Voyager.
I can't with Disco, liked SNW, meh about Picard, so I also went back to the comfortable hateability of Voyager. Actually watched Blink of an Eye last night and absolutely loved it.

What are your thoughts on The Alamo?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

redshirt posted:

What are your thoughts on The Alamo?

It's easy to remember

naem
May 29, 2011

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

computer angel posted:

I never really vibed with Voyager. Its on Picard/Disco tier for me. Well, maybe a little higher; at least I didn't regret watching Voy, I just probably won't watch it again though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think Voyager introduces some really cool stuff even if the show is over all weak. It's got that going on at least.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Everyone hated Voyager when it came out, but then Enterprise, and the JJ movies, and Picard and Disco, and folks are like "Well, Voyager wasn't so bad, right?"

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The biggest hump to liking Voyager is getting through the Kazon, who are as bad as early TNG Ferengi made worse because it takes 3 full seasons for them to get to the "whoops they suck rear end and nobody likes them so here are the Romulans" stage.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

voyager is a terrible show with a handful of great characters. the street fighter: the movie of star treks

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Squiggle posted:

The biggest hump to liking Voyager is getting through the Kazon, who are as bad as early TNG Ferengi made worse because it takes 3 full seasons for them to get to the "whoops they suck rear end and nobody likes them so here are the Romulans" stage.

What a waste of an Aron Eisenberg guest shot too, playing a Kazon. He's good at getting my sympathy, but they could have used the man way better.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Squiggle posted:

I think the biggest hump to liking voyager is Chakotay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CainFortea posted:

He couldn't even get humped after making a bathtub for her

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

There was quite a bit of Chakotay during the Kazon era (sperm jacked!) and then he was basically irrelevant to the show after that, give or take a boxing episode.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

They really wanted Chakotay to be Riker. He even does cool sitting down moves a few times.

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Squiggle posted:

It's amazing, they could easily have stuck closer to their inspiration and made them a race of different racial caricatures of street gang members, but they DID THE WORK and over-designed them to the point where the infighting gang gimmick doesn't come across very well, and they have makeup and hair that keeps them from looking like any kind of human. So they dodged making another Ferengi, but ended up with a species that's viscerally unpleasant to look at, whose hair and forehead look like they might shatter like plaster if they bump their heads on anything.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So I just proved I can't be trusted with my own well being and watched an entire Youtube playlist consisting of the previews for all 178 episodes of TNG (the ones that go Staaaaaar Trek) instead of sleeping. It's fun noticing all the idiosyncrasies.
>If a phaser is fired in the episode it will be shown in the preview. Even if they have to show it in slow-mo to make it last.
>The announcer keeps using the never-used-in-show word "Lifeforce" instead of Lifeform.
>Every single problem of the week has the stakes of "but will Picard start a war?!".
>There are random episodes in the latter seasons where Optimus Prime takes over announcing.
>Every woman introduced is a "seductress".
>Missions awkwardly phrased as a "Death Mission"
>Every planet is "dying"
>Q is always "The Evil Q"
>They had absolutely no idea how to advertise Data's Day.
>Sex Candle is advertised as a horror movie.
>They keep saying "Countdown to disaster!".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

Everyone hated Voyager when it came out, but then Enterprise, and the JJ movies, and Picard and Disco, and folks are like "Well, Voyager wasn't so bad, right?"

Startrek is graded on a curve. Voyager was mostly bland, not actively awful.

Some of it was probably the tendency to hate the new thing for not being the old thing. When TNG was new there were TOS fans that didn't like it because it wasn't TOS.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I like that even though Voyager couldn’t do a Risa episode they were still able to squeeze in a planet with wind that makes you horny.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some of it was probably the tendency to hate the new thing for not being the old thing. When TNG was new there were TOS fans that didn't like it because it wasn't TOS.

Indeed. But there was a good period of time where you could compare Voyager to DS9 in real time, and they did not compare.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Production posted:

It's amazing, they could easily have stuck closer to their inspiration and made them a race of different racial caricatures of street gang members, but they DID THE WORK and over-designed them to the point where the infighting gang gimmick doesn't come across very well, and they have makeup and hair that keeps them from looking like any kind of human. So they dodged making another Ferengi, but ended up with a species that's viscerally unpleasant to look at, whose hair and forehead look like they might shatter like plaster if they bump their heads on anything.

Ah the classic Voyager “have an idea that could be neat then poo poo in your own pants instead” writers room

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Wifi Toilet posted:

I like that even though Voyager couldn’t do a Risa episode they were still able to squeeze in a planet with wind that makes you horny.

The Gang Visits Darkover

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've been fascinated with this news article since it was posted ages ago.

quote:

The new series has an unknown British Shakespearean actor sitting in Capt. Kirk's chair on the bridge. But what has Trekkies even more upset is that the beloved Vulcan, Mr. Spock, has been replaced by a blind character who sees through robot eyes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean, Voyager has some fundamentally fail characters: Kes and Neelix for starters, that whole drama. Not very gripping and not much to hang a show on, which Voyager essentially was, right? Got stuck in this bad situation, ran into these two, have to save them....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I've been fascinated with this news article since it was posted ages ago.

Headshots, ranked:

Levar Burton
Frakes
Data (uncredited)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I watch Voyager for Janeway, Tuvok, The Doctor, and Seven. Everyone else in the main cast is a total drag when they're on screen. B'lanna feels like they wanted to just have a Latina with a fiery temper but knew that wouldn't fly and threw some Klingon drapes over it.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Voyager is given grace in retrospect because even tho it's the worst of the 90s treks, it's still a 90s trek

We've suffered through some stuff that's nowhere near as good since then, and it's made Voyager a lot more palatable. But I do remember at the time it was airing, it considered the absolute worst Trek, and preferring Captain Janeway was mocked because obviously the competition for best captain was firmly between Kirk or Picard.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I watch Voyager for Janeway, Tuvok, The Doctor, and Seven. Everyone else in the main cast is a total drag when they're on screen. B'lanna feels like they wanted to just have a Latina with a fiery temper but knew that wouldn't fly and threw some Klingon drapes over it.

Yeah I want to like B'lanna, but nothing about her story grabs me.

And I feel the same about those four characters - they are the heartbeat of the show. But Seven only shows up, what, 3, 4 seasons in?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

They should have kept Suder because Brad Dourif would have classed that cast up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They should have kept The Maquis/Federation vibe going for far longer.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

TheKingslayer posted:

They should have kept Suder because Brad Dourif would have classed that cast up.

He was in every single 90s sci fi show which I didn't realize at the time, but now rewatching Voyager or Babylon 5 or whatever, it's gotten to the point that I will, every time, whatever show or movie, excitedly shout to my wife "Look! It's Brad Dour-" "YES, I KNOW, ITS BRAD DOURIF, HE WAS IN LORD OF THE RINGS, THERE HE IS AGAIN"

He makes everything better, and it's amazing how many different shows you can squeeze a "mentally compromised, conflicted sociopath" into

Production posted:

They're so lame, their schemes are lame, they're just the delta quad trailer park boys doing the dumbest poo poo possible and acting like they deserve respect, and they look like the aliens you have to hang out and listen to Hollywood Undead with just to buy brick weed

CainFortea posted:

Fair fuckin point

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 1, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Voyager is very episodic despite the premise so it's possible to have a good episode every now and then. Picard requires you to watch an entire season.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

There was quite a bit of Chakotay during the Kazon era (sperm jacked!) and then he was basically irrelevant to the show after that, give or take a boxing episode.

Everyone had one or two episodes that were good. I mean, Nemesis is a good trek episode on it's own and it's all him.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Everyone had one or two episodes that were good. I mean, Nemesis is a good trek episode on it's own and it's all him.

I love the thesaurus people episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Year of Hell, but it's just another Monday in the Delta Quadrant